"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:07 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote: Image

I guess international brand recognition played into this decision, but it's a bit of a letdown.
Can you please elaborate? If anything, it seems more Japanese than other DB Logos now.
I believe ALG is referring to the "Dragon Ball" portion of the logo being the exact same as the current "Dragon Ball Z" logo minus the "Z".
sangofe wrote:Hmm, been keeping away from that thread because I want no spoilers. Seems like a good decision then on several levels if understand what you're hinting at correctly :D
You absolutely made a good decision, the less you know about that thread the better.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:10 pm

LuckyCat wrote: Can you please elaborate? If anything, it seems more Japanese than other DB Logos now.
Sure. I don't mean that the logo is more English, but rather that the Dragon Ball Z logo is decades old now, so using a small variant of it is far more recognisable to a mass audience than something entirely new.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm approaching the new eps the way I do precure. Learn the episode title, preview, and staff, but go in blind otherwise.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:18 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
LuckyCat wrote: Can you please elaborate? If anything, it seems more Japanese than other DB Logos now.
Sure. I don't mean that the logo is more English, but rather that the Dragon Ball Z logo is decades old now, so using a small variant of it is far more recognisable to a mass audience than something entirely new.
I wonder what the odds are that the international version will be called Dragon Ball Z Super...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Calling it Dragon Ball Z Super won't make any sense since the show is not another version of DBZ like Kai is. I think calling it Dragon Ball S in America could work though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:42 pm

We also have a game called Super Dragon Ball Z. We don't really need a title that's just a shift in words.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Calling it Dragon Ball Z Super won't make any sense since the show is not another version of DBZ like Kai is. I think calling it Dragon Ball S in America could work though.
Yeah, the sequel's gotta be called Dragon Ball Super Z.

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball Super Z
Dragon Ball Stars

Then it will get remade as a manga accurate direct to stream series called Dragon Ball Crystal.

*smacks self*

My inability to reference aside, the logo is not a bother to me. As long as the show's good, I really couldn't care less if it had a lazy logo. Don't judge a book by its cover and all that.

At this point, I'm far more concerned with a lack of any sort of preview clip or indication as to what this is so close to its debut. Also, I want licensed streaming for the US so I can watch it and support the show.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:48 pm

A bit surprised it wasn't called Dragon Ball Super Dragon Ball. Though I guess whoever came up with that name scheme beforehand was not around to suggest the title of the new show.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Birusu16 wrote: At this point Gohan doesn't even know if he can go SSJ anymore. Can't exactly get any more irrelevant than that seeing as power essentially means relevancy when it comes to DB nowadays.
Oh I see, you haven't read/watched the plot of RoF yet. I understand why you're mistaken now! :thumbup:
I'm not mistaken about anything. I've read the plot and I know all about the movie.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Well, I wasn't expecting anything from the logo, but keeping DBZ colors was disappointing.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:47 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:A bit surprised it wasn't called Dragon Ball Super Dragon Ball. Though I guess whoever came up with that name scheme beforehand was not around to suggest the title of the new show.
Oh you. :clap:
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:23 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Marginally better quality shot of the logo from a raw recording:

I guess international brand recognition played into this decision, but it's a bit of a letdown.

Should absolutely be the least of our concerns, really. I can't believe we have no PV yet!
Meh. Not great but decent. The logo is the least of concerns in regards to DBS.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Beerus-sama wrote: something I noticed...
down the dragon ball part of the logo theres the furigana saying "Dragon ball Super" in katakana and down the 超 kanji is the "Super" part of the title in romanji... :|
That's no different from the Kai logo.

"Kai" appears in Katakana, Romaji, and Kanji there.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:My only reservation about EoZ is everyone looks, and would be (at least age wise) old. Though, maybe they can have facelifts lol.
Who looked old apart from Krillin?

Besides, there are more kids during EoZ than before EoZ:
- Before EoZ: Goten, Trunks. (Really just Gotenks, since Goten has no personality.)
- EoZ: Pan, Uub, Bra, Marron.
The creator himself said they look old. And Krillin, Piccolo, Satan, and the ladies look old to me too. Anyway. Anything can happen. But I think Toriyama is going to rewrite Uub & EOZ completely and start off sooner than the 5-year span. And I think that's the best choice for DB. The Gohan sketch from the Super storyboard looks younger too.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:48 pm

shinmaru wrote:The creator himself said they look old. And Krillin, Piccolo, Satan, and the ladies look old to me too.
I assume you mean Akira Toriyama when you say the "creator". Well, Toriyama says a lot of things. Besides, the other creators of this new show, Toei Animation that is, also have decision power in this new production. It's not like Toriyama is all by himself.

Piccolo looks old to you? Are you serious? Whaaat. Piccolo's design has never changed (not even in GT), how does he look old?

Satan and the ladies are not main characters and not fighters. The actual main guys -- Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Whis, Beerus, Trunks, Goten, and the new kids mentioned in my previous post -- all look in their prime.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Big Momma wrote:That's no different from the Kai logo.

"Kai" appears in Katakana, Romaji, and Kanji there.
While that is a valid point to make, you might agree that this is a little different. The written out "Kai" is the main part of the logo, with the kanji next to it. The furigana way on the other side of the logo is somewhat okay (The fact that the logo actually looks good also sways our opinion on it, so take that for what it's worth.

This DB Super logo, however, has the styllized kanji as the main focus with the written out "Super" right below it...BUT the furigana ending with Super is right next to it, which makes it look very redundant.

As far as the use of the Z font...90% of the DBZ fan pages called Toei. They want their lack of creativity back.

EDIT: Hell, I'd be happier if they just went the GT/Kai route...
Last edited by Rukura on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Marco Polo wrote:The actual main guys -- Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Whis, Beerus, Trunks, Goten, and the new kids mentioned in my previous post -- all look in their prime.
Ages at the end of Z (give or take a year or two)
» Gohan - 29
» Goku - 41
» Goten - 17
» Krillin - 48
» Pan - 4 (?)
» Piccolo Jr. - 33
» Roshi - 354
» Tien - 51
» Trunks - 18
» Uub - 10
» Vegeta - 56
» Yamcha - 51

the original Z fighters are all getting up there in age. (luckily for Goku he was dead for 7 years so he didn't age really :P ) But age of characters is irrelevant really, Dragon balls, Supreme Gods that can controll time, etc. anything can be extended/fixed if someone blows out their hip.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Ushabtis wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:The actual main guys -- Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Whis, Beerus, Trunks, Goten, and the new kids mentioned in my previous post -- all look in their prime.
Ages at the end of Z (give or take a year or two)
» Gohan - 29
» Goku - 41
» Goten - 17
» Krillin - 48
» Pan - 4 (?)
» Piccolo Jr. - 33
» Roshi - 354
» Tenshinhan - 51
» Trunks - 18
» Uub - 10
» Vegeta - 56
» Yamcha - 51

the original Z fighters are all getting up there in age. (luckily for Goku he was dead for 7 years so he didn't age really :P ) But age of characters is irrelevant really, Dragon balls, Supreme Gods that can controll time, etc. anything can be extended/fixed if someone blows out their hip.
Unless they recieve major power-up, then Krillin, Ten & Yamcha haven't been Z-Fighters for ages. They're not relevant in the battles anymore. Goku & Vegeta tho got their "Saiyans look young for a long time" excuse

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:53 pm

How about we give the humans that damn thing they should have gotten back in the Freeza arc and utilized properly in the Cell arc known as the Kaioken :evil: . Better late than never, and at least it should close the gap between the humans and Gohan, if not completely erase it.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
shinmaru wrote:The creator himself said they look old. And Krillin, Piccolo, Satan, and the ladies look old to me too.
I assume you mean Akira Toriyama when you say the "creator". Well, Toriyama says a lot of things. Besides, the other creators of this new show, Toei Animation that is, also have decision power in this new production. It's not like Toriyama is all by himself.

Piccolo looks old to you? Are you serious? Whaaat. Piccolo's design has never changed (not even in GT), how does he look old?

Satan and the ladies are not main characters and not fighters. The actual main guys -- Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Whis, Beerus, Trunks, Goten, and the new kids mentioned in my previous post -- all look in their prime.
Yes, Toriyama is the only creator Toei is not in my eyes. Dude come on, main characters? They are getting old main characters or not.
Doesn't matter if he says a lot of things.He said he made them old and for me they look old except the Piccolo part is a mistake :think:
And I don't think Toei can decide for what Toriyama designs/creates. If I remember right Toriyama is the one correcting Toei and Toei is the one that messed up and is asking him to make a new DB.