"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
Doctor. wrote:GT is very clearly from the same series, it has the same feel more or less, but contains new character designs and is in a different time period.
The main plot points of an arc would be the same regardless of the time period or character designs.
Yea, but there wouldn't be a big "THE END" that we'd know about before it aired.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:41 pm

Its amazing how a 15 sec teaser made this much backlash, the fanbase is truly a dark and scary place to be at times. Anyways I'm just happy there will be more DB, I dont care if its full of pure interactions and jokes, as long as its DB heck yeah, hearing that an opponent stronger than Boo and Frieza will make an appearance is enough to keep me excited 8)

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fexus wrote:It always have and will always be the adventures of Goku. There is no Z or normal DB. It's just DB. A different series mean it isn't dragon ball anymore. Should have let Toriyama do a whole new series then.
The anime is divided into DB and DBZ. And seeing as how Super is an anime, I'm not sure why you're bringing the manga into this. I meant a new series as in the same vein as GT. GT is very clearly from the same series, it has the same feel more or less, but contains new character designs and is in a different time period.
Does the Japanese ever make that distinction? Did Z get a whole lot different or is Z just like a season 2. Like Naruto Shippuden. That isn't a different series then.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yea, but there wouldn't be a big "THE END" that we'd know about before it aired.
Even if it was set after the EOZ it would have the same ending,sure the setting might be different but the outcome would be the same which is good winning against evil and everyone being alive and well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:43 pm

fexus wrote:No you don't need to say that you like or even enjoy DB. Just post your critique and remember to post the same thing multiple time. I mean Toriyama would eventually read your post if you post enough.
I don't what, or who, you're hinting at, but we're in a forum with other people that also have opinions. They're not always gonna line up, and we'll read quite a few along the way.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:45 pm

fexus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
fexus wrote:It always have and will always be the adventures of Goku. There is no Z or normal DB. It's just DB. A different series mean it isn't dragon ball anymore. Should have let Toriyama do a whole new series then.
The anime is divided into DB and DBZ. And seeing as how Super is an anime, I'm not sure why you're bringing the manga into this. I meant a new series as in the same vein as GT. GT is very clearly from the same series, it has the same feel more or less, but contains new character designs and is in a different time period.
Does the Japanese ever make that distinction? Did Z get a whole lot different or is Z just like a season 2. Like Naruto Shippuden. That isn't a different series then.
Wrong term to use, then.
sintzu wrote:Even if it was set after the EOZ it would have the same ending,sure the setting might be different but the outcome would be the same which is good winning against evil and everyone being alive and well.
Did you not read what I said? That's not the point. It doesn't matter if there's a 99% chance that everything will turn out alright. What matters is that there's a 1% chance that it won't, which would be keeping me, at least, at the edge of my seat. As it stands now, we're 100% sure everything will be okay, and it makes things predictable and it takes away all tension.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Seriously guys...there's a foe option. Just use that if there's some comments you don't like seeing. Don't like negativity, use the foe option. BAM, suddenly the comments you don't like are no longer visible. Instead it's people bitching cause they want to, and I see no reason why they can not, and people bitching on other people cause their bitching. You know to save yourselves the headaches, you could just ignore bitching and only converse with those who are excited. Let people who are unhappy converse, and people who are happy converse. Let people love and worship, and let people hate and dump on something they don't particularly like. You have no obligation to make people like something they don't want to or hate something they like. It's getting really damn annoying seeing people complain about other people complaining when you can just hide those comments.
Honestly never heard of that.
What does it do exactly? It can't obviously recognize whining comments from actual comments, but then I guess it sorts of eliminate specific members from ever having their comments on your screen or something, as if those members didn't exist on the forum?
It blocks the main comments of those you don't want to see. It does not cover replies I think, but it should help cut down on the negative comments you don't like seeing. It ain't perfect, but it might as well be used as why bother bitching about bitchers or vice versa anyways? May as well just filter out the posts you don't like so it's easier to focus on the one's you do enjoy.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:53 pm

fexus wrote:
Rukura wrote: So, I need to keep repeating that I enjoyed it EVERYTIME I critique something I wanna see improved on? Do I also need to repeat that I like Dragon Ball, even though I'm posting in THIS forum? A list of what Dragon Ball content I liked and didn't like? Is this not kinda ridiculous?
No you don't need to say that you like or even enjoy DB. Just post your critique and remember to post the same thing multiple time. I mean Toriyama would eventually read your post if you post enough.
I enjoy reading critiques. Especially if they are backed by valid points like Doctor's argument. We all know that most fans have positive opinions and the majority of those who voice their opinions are the "haters" so I don't see the problem. Satisfied fans don't usually have anything to say.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Cetra wrote:
Cold Skin wrote: What does it do exactly? It can't obviously recognize whining comments from actual comments, but then I guess it sorts of eliminate specific members from ever having their comments on your screen or something, as if those members didn't exist on the forum?
Its a simple ignore list function. "Add a foe" -> all comments from that person are not displayed for you and instead you have a bar that says the comment from person x is not shown for you.
dbzfan7 wrote: It blocks the main comments of those you don't want to see. It does not cover replies I think, but it should help cut down on the negative comments you don't like seeing. It ain't perfect, but it might as well be used as why bother bitching about bitchers or vice versa anyways? May as well just filter out the posts you don't like so it's easier to focus on the one's you do enjoy.
Thanks, guys! :thumbup:
"Foe" is a bit of a strong word, but the function could be interesting.

But maybe that would be a little extreme, the fact that I don't want to see their ever-negative "mountains out of molehills" comments about Super doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to see their comments elsewhere, as they could have interesting things to say on other topics.
For now, I'll stick to my plan to just not check the Super section once it starts, even if it means losing the interesting comments in the process.
Avery wrote:We all know that most fans have positive opinions and the majority of those who voice their opinions are the "haters" so I don't see the problem. Satisfied fans don't usually have anything to say.
I try to keep telling myself that, but sometimes the apparent negativity looks so overwhelming that it's hard remembering there's unseen positivity all over too, and much more positivity than negativity despite the appearances (positivity appearing MUCH more in real life talk than on forums and Internet comments).
Last edited by Cold Skin on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Avery wrote: I enjoy reading critiques. Especially if they are backed by valid points like Doctor's argument. We all know that most fans have positive opinions and the majority of those who voice their opinions are the "haters" so I don't see the problem. Satisfied fans don't usually have anything to say.
I also enjoy reading critique accept when I have to read it multiple times in multiple pages by the same person of the same "critique".
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:12 pm

DBGT had the balls (pun intended :P ) to remove Goku from the living world at the end of the series. So no, not everyone HAS to remain alive and well.

EDIT: Piccolo and Android 17 too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm interested in what Vegeta's up to. He's been attracting plot stuff ever since he was introduced. I want to see how he factors in this time, especially now that it's post Buu Vegeta we're working with.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm interested in what Vegeta's up to. He's been attracting plot stuff ever since he was introduced. I want to see how he factors in this time, especially now that it's post Buu Vegeta we're working with.
Hopefully he'll take down an arc villain this time.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Marco Polo wrote:DBGT had the balls (pun intended :P ) to remove Goku from the living world at the end of the series. So no, not everyone HAS to remain alive and well.

That's the point. We KNOW everyone is gonna be alive and well because of the epilogue! If the epilogue wasn't there, I wouldn't be complaining about this time period and saying all events are predictable at all.

Imagine two scenarios:

1. Forget the Boo arc exists. Super starts right after the Cell arc. For 20 episodes, no mention or sight of Goku. In the 21st, he comes back alive. You're probably pleasantly surprised, right? You may be asking yourself how he got revived and what happened. Now imagine the series goes on for 100 episodes longer and Goku dies at the end in sort of a GT way.
2. The Boo arc still exists but Super takes place in the 7 year gap. Again, for 20 episodes, no mention of Goku, yet he appears in the 21st episode. You'd probably be surprised, but you already know that by the time the Boo arc comes along, he's gonna be dead again. So the series goes on for 100 episodes more and Goku dies again at the end. His death would lose a lot more meaning that way, because it was predictable since EVERYONE knew it was gonna happen.

Switch death with revival and Goku with anyone else and you get the complaints.

Anyway, I'm not gonna talk about this anymore, since there's nothing I can do.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:DBGT had the balls (pun intended :P ) to remove Goku from the living world at the end of the series. So no, not everyone HAS to remain alive and well.

That's the point. We KNOW everyone is gonna be alive and well because of the epilogue! If the epilogue wasn't there, I wouldn't be complaining about this time period and saying all events are predictable at all.

Imagine two scenarios:

1. Forget the Boo arc exists. Super starts right after the Cell arc. For 20 episodes, no mention or sight of Goku. In the 21st, he comes back alive. You're probably pleasantly surprised, right? You may be asking yourself how he got revived and what happened. Now imagine the series goes on for 100 episodes longer and Goku dies at the end in sort of a GT way.
2. The Boo arc still exists but Super takes place in the 7 year gap. Again, for 20 episodes, no mention of Goku, yet he appears in the 21st episode. You'd probably be surprised, but you already know that by the time the Boo arc comes along, he's gonna be dead again. So the series goes on for 100 episodes more and Goku dies again at the end. His death would lose a lot more meaning that way, because it was predictable since EVERYONE knew it was gonna happen.

Switch death with revival and Goku with anyone else and you get the complaints.

Anyway, I'm not gonna talk about this anymore, since there's nothing I can do.
But my point is your point! I was just backing you up :P

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:22 pm

GT didn't have any set ending which fans were looking forward to, so Toei could do pretty much anything with the characters.

With Super taking place pre-EoZ, we know who's going to remain alive and well: as much as it tries to add uncertainty to the mix, we know that Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks... are going to be perfectly fine again once the Tournament with Oob comes.

That said, imagine that Super has a couple of sagas set before EoZ, then does a timeskip and starts telling new stories post-EoZ... then not everyone would have to remain alive and well.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:29 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:GT didn't have any set ending which fans were looking forward to, so Toei could do pretty much anything with the characters.

With Super taking place pre-EoZ, we know who's going to remain alive and well: as much as it tries to add uncertainty to the mix, we know that Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks... are going to be perfectly fine again once the Tournament with Oob comes.
Again, that's my point and Doctor.'s point.

I wanted Super to take place after EoZ because there would actually be suspense and possible surprises that way.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:GT didn't have any set ending which fans were looking forward to, so Toei could do pretty much anything with the characters.

Again, that's my point and Doctor.'s point.

I wanted Super to take place after EoZ because there would actually be suspense and possible surprises that way.
Then I guess I was confused. I thought you were saying the exact opposite :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:32 pm

So does anyone know if we gonna get a full trailer? Will be nice to know :D

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:34 pm

pacz360 wrote:So does anyone know if we gonna get a full trailer? Will be nice to know :D
Someone here said we're getting one tomorrow.