"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GokuRules987
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by GokuRules987 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am

Doctor. wrote: Beerus is almost like an exact mirror of Goku except with a different sense of morality. You're a fan of Goku and yet you condemn Beerus for wanting to fight?
Beerus is not like Goku. Beerus is a dictating scumbag who almost blew up entire earth because someone refused to give him some pudding. Goku should have kicked the crap out of him more and showed that dumb cat that he shouldn't messed with Son Goku ;]

Also Why do Gods in Dragon Ball love mortals food so much? Shouldn't they be able to create their own godly feast with the flick of a finger from the best food recipes that exist in the universe?

Humans aren't that special!
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:43 am

sintzu wrote:
fexus wrote: We don't even know that yet. This is really confusing. Do you guys like to jump to your own conclusions?
It was announced that it takes place 6 months after Buu's defeat.
It says the story starts 6 months after Buu's defeat. It doesn't mean that the BoG arc will start at that time.

Avery wrote:Man, they created a real mess with all this retconning stuff...
They didn't retcon anything yet.
Last edited by fexus on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:44 am

GokuRules987 wrote:
Also Why do Gods in Dragon Ball love mortals food so much? Shouldn't they be able to create their own godly feast with the flick of a finger from the best food recipes that exist in the universe?

Humans aren't that special!
It's just a bit of silliness. Very typical of Dragon Ball to have the universe's (second) strongest being have a weakness as ridiculous as pudding.

And not unless he spent years training to master the ancient art of Food Conjuration or whatever. (For instance, Piccolo can conjure up clothes. Does that mean everyone stronger than him can? Not necessarily.)
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:50 am

I hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the future.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:56 am

It's no mess at all if they simply allow Dragon Ball Super to end in a manner that ignores the end of the original comic.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Wow, as of 2015 a whole lot of stuff sure has happened before that final episode of Z.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:04 pm

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. The amount of retcons they have to do to make this work is ridiculous.

They have to completely retcon the time line seeing as BoGs and RoF took place 4 years after Buu, not 6 months and seeing as how Beerus is awake 6 months after Buu's defeat we know the time line of both movies very likely happens much earlier. Secondly, how the hell do they manage to do the SSJG ritual? Pan wouldn't of even been thought of yet let alone existing 6 months after Buu's defeat. So unless they retcon (great more retcons) the SSJG ritual or when Videl got pregnant then they have a problem here as well. And unless Vegeta is somehow pure of heart 6 months after he killed hundreds of people at the tournament then he can't exactly participate in the SSJG ritual either as it requires 6 pure hearted Saiyans.

It'd of been much easier had they just started the series after the two movies.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Birusu16 wrote:I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. The amount of retcons they have to do to make this work is ridiculous.

They have to completely retcon the time line seeing as BoGs and RoF took place 4 years after Buu, not 6 months and seeing as how Beerus is awake 6 months after Buu's defeat we know the time line of both movies very likely happens much earlier. Secondly, how the hell do they manage to do the SSJG ritual? Pan wouldn't of even been thought of yet let alone existing 6 months after Buu's defeat. So unless they retcon (great more retcons) the SSJG ritual or when Videl got pregnant then they have a problem here as well. And unless Vegeta is somehow pure of heart 6 months after he killed hundreds of people at the tournament then he can't exactly participate in the SSJG ritual either as it requires 6 pure hearted Saiyans.

So basically they'd have to do a complete retelling.

Which is what people have been saying all along. (Not trying to be disparaging, just pointing out that if you view this as a blank slate inspired by the ideas of those movies, the specifics and details can all be whatever the hell you want to be to make them fit this timeline.)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:12 pm

Well the 6 months might only refer to the "It’s got a bit of post-battle aftermath" arc that Toriyama said and we'll time skip to the proper BoG time placement. Then again Beerus is awake either way so I don't know unless they retcon when he woke up. Hopefully we get given all these answers on Sunday.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Captain Space wrote:
Birusu16 wrote:I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. The amount of retcons they have to do to make this work is ridiculous.

So basically they'd have to do a complete retelling.

Which is what people have been saying all along. (Not trying to be disparaging, just pointing out that if you view this as a blank slate inspired by the ideas of those movies, the specifics and details can all be whatever the hell you want to be to make them fit this timeline.)
Except it's not a blank slate. It never was once BoGs was released. I'm not just going to ignore content because a new series happened to be inspired by the movies. They had a much easier option to go with (start the series after the movies) and chose to ignore it and instead retcon every little thing they can in order to make this fit. If they had no better option then I'd understand, but they had a much better option at hand and chose not to take it.

It's ridiculous.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:18 pm

The plot that I read sounds good. I'm glad they're going through the years and it will end up with a continuation of RoF by having them go to another universe which was something I really wanted them to do with the sequel to BoG.

My only concern now is that they retell the story of the movies. However if Toriyama is involved in all this story then surely he won't be stupid enough to retcon his own new and successful movies.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Birusu16 wrote:
Except it's not a blank slate. It never was once BoGs was released. I'm not just going to ignore content because a new series happened to be inspired by the movies. They had a much easier option to go with (start the series after the movies) and chose to ignore it and instead retcon every little thing they can in order to make this fit. If they had no better option then I'd understand, but they had a much better option at hand and chose not to take it.

It's ridiculous.
It's really only one big retcon. Which is "none of that happened, it happened like this instead" and then making the details fit the story rather than forcing the new story to fit the old details.

Which makes more sense than relying on every single mass-market, super-casual "OMG NEW DBZ SERIES" viewer to have seen the two new movies.

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Hopefully after this "universe 6" business is done with they can get into alternate timelines so we can have an excuse to see GT stuff and Time Patrol Trunks.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Barunks wrote:Hopefully after this "universe 6" business is done with they can get into alternate timelines so we can have an excuse to see GT stuff and Time Patrol Trunks.
Not to be a naysayer, but it seems like "this universe 6 business" is the main point of this new series (i.e. introduce god stuff like the movies, introduce other universes like the movies, unlike the movies actually go to them).

If any of what you're suggesting ever happens it probably won't be in Super, but a different property entirely--for instance, if a manga/anime spinoff of Xenoverse, a story entirely about alternate timelines that involves both GT and TP Trunks, is ever made.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm really getting tired of this. Why are you guys making out your speculations to be pure facts. We don't know any of the timeline placement in Super except the part where Super will officially start 6 months after Majin Buu's defeat. That's about it. There's no time placement to see when Beerus woke up in Super nor when Goku turn SSG. I'm really fine with speculations but seeing you guys believe what you guys say is really true is kind of annoying.
Last edited by fexus on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Captain Space wrote:
Birusu16 wrote:

It's ridiculous.
It's really only one big retcon. Which is "none of that happened, it happened like this instead" and then making the details fit the story rather than forcing the new story to fit the old details.

Which makes more sense than relying on every single mass-market, super-casual "OMG NEW DBZ SERIES" viewer to have seen the two new movies.
That's just as bad as small retcons. They're throwing away a bunch of existing content in order to make it fit the time line for the series. My issue is that THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO. They could've easily started the series after the two movies, which is an infinitely better choice IMO than completely retconning previous material.

People not being aware of what's going on is not a good enough reason to do this. BoGs has been out for several years. RoF adds essentially nothing aside from SSGSS. To completely screw up the continuity for that is, IMO, incredibly ridiculous.
Last edited by Birusu16 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the party but I just wanted to double check all the information about the plot that seems to have been revealed. So from what I'm gathering, Super will take place 6 months after the conclusion of the Majin Boo arc, the other universes, well at least one of them, are going to be explored. On top of that it seem as though BOG and ROF are officially going to re-told. I... really don't what to make of this. I love BOG as it was and if they're gonna re-tell the story, then, quite frankly, that's disappointing. However, if they are able to somehow tell a better story that what was told in BOG, then I'm game for it. As far as relling of ROF goes, I honestly believe there is actually more context that could provided by re-telling the story of that movie into a mini-arc.

However, once again, I have to question why they feel as though it is necessary to effectively retcon established content. But hey, this is Dragon Ball. Stuff like that is pretty common. :P

Either way, I'm excited about the prospects of Super, and with only a few days left, they hype is most certainly real. :D

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:27 pm

fexus wrote:I'm really getting tired of this. Why are you guys making out your speculations to be pure facts. We don't know any of the timeline placement in Super except the part where Super will officially start 6 months after Majin Buu's defeat. That's about it. There's no time placement to see when Beerus woke up in Super nor when Goku turn SSG. I'm really fine with speculations but seeing you guys believe what you guys say is really true is kind of annoying.
The first episode is said to take place 6 months after Buu's defeat. Beerus is awake in the first chapter of Super. An episode usually covers more content than one chapter so the content of that one chapter will likely be in the first episode. Beerus wasn't awake 6 months after Buu's defeat. He didn't wake until 4 years after it. All of that points to BoGs and in turn RoF taking place earlier than they normall did.

It's certainly not factual, but it's highly likely at this point.
Last edited by Birusu16 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:30 pm

It's nothing new these days. A lot of stuff about Dragon Ball from the manga and the anime in the last few years has retconned out.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm not opposed to a complete retelling of Bog and RoF but it does strike me as a very odd decision!

It's actually quite a surprising one.