"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Tennessaiyan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Yes, Vegeta did say that he had no idea where Tarble lived, and I don't see him having any interest in visiting Tarble anyways. And with that shot of Bulma, I'm guessing she's in some sort of Capsule vehicle, perhaps one like that yellow carrier plane they have had throughout the series. E.g. The plane that they took to the world martial arts tournament in EoZ.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Tennessaiyan wrote:Yes, Vegeta did say that he had no idea where Tarble lived, and I don't see him having any interest in visiting Tarble anyways. And with that shot of Bulma, I'm guessing she's in some sort of Capsule vehicle, perhaps one like that yellow carrier plane they have had throughout the series. E.g. The plane that they took to the world martial arts tournament in EoZ.
Well, bulma might make him come for the trip with them. "You should get to know your brother better Vegeta!"
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
MagicBox wrote:For decades, we've been begging for some of this "everyday life" character stuff. Do not ruin this for us.
I doubt anyone from Toie visits this site so don't worry about what they say,it won't have any affect on anything.
Not exactly what I was referring to.

That particular comment was directed towards members who were irrationally dismissing any episode title that doesn't imply fighting as "filler" stories. We all have the potential to get what we want out of Super, so there's no need for anyone to rain on the parade of fans who want something in particular.

Not really concerned about someone at Toei randomly browsing the thread and saying "They don't like it! Abort! Abort!" Although that scenario would be funny.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Wait, I just thought about something. If Bulma has her party 6 months after Boo, then she being 38 would be correct, right?

It seems as though Toriyama wanted to place BoG just that while after Boo from the beginning but maybe forgot to change the date in the script?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:Wait, I just thought about something. If Bulma has her party 6 months after Boo, then she being 38 would be correct, right?

It seems as though Toriyama wanted to place BoG just that while after Boo from the beginning but maybe forgot to change the date in the script?
Or that the Chozenshuu writers saw the obvious contradiction with Pan's age at the end of Z and so corrected BoG's timeline placement in the Chozenshuu.

EDIT: In any case just going by the manga, Bulma should be about 41 years old in the Buu Arc, so that doesn't fit either.
I've heard it was because BoG was originally supposed to take place at Krillin and #18's wedding, which would be before even the Buu Arc, but that was just more speculation and probably wouldn't make much sense to place it in that time period either.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Yes, Bulma should be 41 during the Buu saga.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:50 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Wait, I just thought about something. If Bulma has her party 6 months after Boo, then she being 38 would be correct, right?

Or that the Chozenshuu writers saw the obvious contradiction with Pan's age at the end of Z and so corrected BoG's timeline placement in the Chozenshuu.

EDIT: In any case just going by the manga, Bulma should be about 41 years old in the Buu Arc, so that doesn't fit either.
I've heard it was because BoG was originally supposed to take place at Krillin and #18's wedding, which would be before even the Buu Arc, but that was just more speculation and probably wouldn't make much sense to place it in that time period either.
41? Are you sure?

She's 16 at the start. In the 22nd TB she's 19, 22 in the 23rd TB. 5 years later she's 27. Then two years after, she's 29 when Goku comes back. 32 when the androids arrive and 39 in the Boo arc. I was off by one year; but are you sure she's 41, did I miss something? There's those 8 months between the 21st TB and the RRA arc, but I'm not sure if she had her birthday.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Doctor. wrote: 41? Are you sure?

She's 16 at the start. In the 22nd TB she's 19, 22 in the 23rd TB. 5 years later she's 27. Then two years after, she's 29 when Goku comes back. 32 when the androids arrive and 39 in the Boo arc. I was off by one year; but are you sure she's 41, did I miss something? There's those 8 months between the 21st TB and the RRA arc, but I'm not sure if she had her birthday.
You forgot the 11 months between the Raditz fight and the Nappa and Vegeta fight, which would make her 28 by the Freeaa Arc and 30 by the time Trunks kills Freeza.
Apparently her birthday is in August IIRC, so that'd make her 40 going on 41 in the Buu Arc.
I think that's it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:55 pm

I just noticed that if Beers was still sleeping for thirty-nine years and only just woke up in Age 774 that would mean that he went to sleep in Age 735, two years before the Daizenshuu timeline claims Gokuu was born.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Doctor. wrote: 41? Are you sure?

You forgot the 11 months between the Raditz fight and the Nappa and Vegeta fight, which would make her 28 by the Freeaa Arc and 30 by the time Trunks kills Freeza.
Apparently her birthday is in August IIRC, so that'd make her 40 going on 41 in the Buu Arc.
I think that's it.
Oh yea, completely forgot about the training for the Saiyans. You're right then; it still wouldn't fit.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:59 pm

About Bulma age. If its right or wrong, its not important.
If its right, good. If its not, no big deal. A lot of women tend to lie about their age and about their weight. Knowing Bulma character, being a lie doesn't surprise me.

But I was rewatching some BOG scenes and I found a interesting line about her party:

Super takes place 6 months after Buu.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Vegeta-centric family episode? This is christmas.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Should we count the 8 months between the Pilaf arc and the tournament?
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:That's not a slice of life comedy series.

I didn't say it was slice of life. I said it was similar to one.
A slice of life comedy series would be if we dicked around with Goku as he did random shit around Gohan's house for like 5 chapters.
This is funny since this is similar to what actually happened. The series just followed random crap Bulma and Goku did.
-Bulma randomly getting captured by a dinosaur.
-Bulma and Goku living together
-Goku beating up some bear for trying to take Roshi's turtle
etc

By definition, this is exactly what slice of life is.
"The literary term refers to a storytelling technique that presents a seemingly arbitrary sample of a character's life, which often lacks a coherent plot or conflict. The story may have little plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement".

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:12 pm

:P :P

In the past the only time we've seen Vegeta actually spending a bit of time with Bulma/Trunks has been in little things like this and the odd moment here + there. To get a whole episode where he's with them would be the best.

Yeah, I want crazy fight scenes and I want to get to the stage where we're watching Goku + Vegeta in their new God forms tearing shit apart in different universes... but this is what I'm really looking forward to. Interactions between the characters - especially with Vegeta and his family and Goku with Goten. 8)

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Cursemark505 wrote: By definition, this is exactly what slice of life is.
"The literary term refers to a storytelling technique that presents a seemingly arbitrary sample of a character's life, which often lacks a coherent plot, conflict, or ending. The story may have little plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement".
I wouldn't say the beginning of Dragon Ball was like a slice of life, they were on a journey with a clear goal after all. It was an adventure series that used random gags, but the events weren't random.
In anime people usually call slice of life the episodic series with no plot. Dragon Ball did have its share of daily life moments, especially in the anime, but it was part of it, not the main focus.

Anyway, i think any person who sees DB for everything it is, knows that character interaction is one of its greatest strengths, so i'll always welcome more of that.
Last edited by Araki on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:19 pm

BlackCatScott wrote: Yeah, I want crazy fight scenes and I want to get to the stage where we're watching Goku + Vegeta in their new God forms tearing shit apart in different universes... but this is what I'm really looking forward to. Interactions between the characters - especially with Vegeta and his family and Goku with Goten.
I second this SO much. I'm so grateful that Toriyama is involved, or else we wouldn't get gems like these.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:22 pm

More updates
Looks like we will see more Goku training, please dont repeat the 10 tons BS.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Tennessaiyan wrote:
BlackCatScott wrote: Yeah, I want crazy fight scenes and I want to get to the stage where we're watching Goku + Vegeta in their new God forms tearing shit apart in different universes... but this is what I'm really looking forward to. Interactions between the characters - especially with Vegeta and his family and Goku with Goten.
I second this SO much. I'm so grateful that Toriyama is involved, or else we wouldn't get gems like these.
That stuff isn't exclusive to Toriyama. GT after all did have that infamous Bra goes shopping with Vegeta scenario.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Bejita keeps his amusement park promise to Trunks. After 18 years. :lol: