What are some of the old voices that you miss?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Re: What are some of the old voices that you miss?

Post by DB1984 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Another one I miss:

Dale Kelly as the original FUNi Narrator and the original FUNi Captain Ginyu. You could tell he had a lot of fun with both roles, and his Monster Truck voice. Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

KRILLINSINDAHOUSE!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:08 am

Peter Kelamis, Saffron Henderson, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Don Brown, Terry Klassen... You get the idea.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:11 am

Saffron Henderson, Scott McNeil, and Zoe Slusar. Hands down my favorite Kid Goku [GT] voice actor.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:47 am

Nadolny's Kid Goku. Thankfully she's only being replaced in new material, but still Nadolny's Goku is the one that stuck with me. It's not at all like Nozawa's but Nadolny's Goku has its own charm. It's annoying to hear new Kid Goku voices in Kai and video games when nothing was wrong with Nadolny's Goku (IMO). Just feels terribly inconsistent, especially that her voice is still what you hear when you watch the 153 episode series. I also never had a huge problem with her Gohan voice either for that matter. I grew up listening to her Gohan and enjoyed her performance for its own merits and characteristics instead of comparing it to the Japanese voice.

I didn't think replacing Bulma was necessary but I don't necessarily miss her old voice to death. When I heard they changed it I just sort of shrugged and moved on. The new voice is good too. There are some voices that were apparently replaced and I truly didn't even realize it, like Oolong and Dende and others.

The one voice I'm really glad they replaced is Linda Young's Freeza. I do experience some nostalgia of her Freeza playing the old video games and stuff sometimes but after getting familiar with the Japanese Freeza I wanted something more in tune with the original, and Ayres really knocks it out of the park.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:07 pm

It's been already been mentioned but I'll say it anyway:

Daisuke Gouri.

I still haven't completely gotten over it. :(

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Scott McNeill, and Brian Drummond (but only for a few lines) mostly.

This will probably surprise some people but I like the feminine sounding Frieza, so I'm also going to count Linda Young and Pauline Newstone.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:52 pm

On the Japanese side of things: Daisuke Gōri, Hirotaka Suzuoki, and Kōhei Miyauchi. I love that we have Unshō Ishizuka for Mr Satan now, but Gōri will always be the voice I think of when someone brings up that character. It probably doesn't help that Ishizuka is forever Old Joseph to me now. With Tenshinhan, I never had much of an issue with his Suzuoki's replacement, but there was something so commanding about the way Suzuoki played the character that has sadly yet to be replicated. Lastly, there's only one true Turtle Hermit, and that's all I have to say on that. RIP.

I don't really have a whole lot to say on the English side of things. I grew up with the Ocean cast, but have all but abandoned consuming the show in English on any real scale. That said, Scott McNeil is Piccolo, and I would do all kinds of things to hear him with new direction and an accurate script. The guy's screams are out of this world. Likewise, I guess I'd quite like to hear a modern take on Drummond's Vegeta. Alas, Ocean Kai is nothing but a name and a dreadful theme song. We'll probably never see it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Ocean:
Don Brown - The only King Kai voice that was remotely tolerable.
David Kaye - He was actually good as Recoome, while Chris Sabat fails to even be listenable.
Scott McNeil - The only good Piccolo.
Ian James Corlett - The best voice for Goku, he sounded the most genuine and balanced out goofy/serious better than any of the others. From Ocean's dub alone, I'd say he got the worst replacement voice.

FUNimation:
Ceyli Delgadillo - The acting wasn't the best but she had the cutest, most charming voice for Kid Goku.
Stephanie Nadolny - What Ryugi-Otoki said, plus she got the worst replacement voices of FUNimation. Chris Ayres and Monica Rial are at least good.
Brice Armstrong - Best narrator voice.

Japanese:
Hayami Sho - His Zarbon was unrivaled by all!

SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuicidalZerg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:37 pm

DB1984 wrote:Kouhei Miyauchi and Daisuke Gori.
This, so much this. Muten Roshi has never sounded quite the same without Miyauchi-san...
Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 pm

See below.
Last edited by Singh is King on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Original Japanese Version:

Daisuke Gori's Mr. Satan (Ishizuka is the Pokemon Anime Narrator to me so you can imagine how awkward it is hearing him in this role to me)
Hirotaka Suzuoki's Tienshinhan (Replacement was decent but not up to his standard)
Sho Hayami's Zarbon (Replacement wasn't up to his level)

Ocean Dub Version:

Scott McNeil's Piccolo (Vastly superior to Chris Sabat to me because he gave him a unique voice with a sharp edge that Sabat has confused with blandness in Kai and in Z made him sound like some crappy WWE wrestler most of the time)
Don Brown's King Kai (Vastly superior to Sean Schemmel to me because he made him sound like a wise figure with a slight garble in tone who was kind and knowledgeable, like an elderly church minister, unlike Schemmel who thinks making him sound like a deep raspy munchies in mouth Cajun man + bad Don Brown imitation voice is the way to go)
Saffron Henderson's Kid Gohan (I think she had the right boyish tone: not too feminine in tone or ear-shattering when screaming like Clinkenbeard, but not too gruff or deep like Nadolny)
David Kaye's Recoome (Actually made Recoome sound somewhat normal IQ while also like a brute unlike the mentally handicapped retard version Chris Sabat has been doing since Remastered to Xenoverse)
Don Brown's Burter (Had this really interesting yelling and voice that sounded reptilian to me without overdoing it like Vic Mignogna does)
Ian Corlett's Goku (Sean is fine here, but still, I admit I do wish to see what he would've done with the character later on)
Terry Klassen's Guldo (Sounded most like what he appears to be to me)

FUNimation Dub Version:

Stephanie Nadolny's Kid Goku (Much more natural and smoother as well as cuter than Colleen Clinkenbeard's more rough, generic take or any of the other dub Goku's in general and had a real charm)
Julie Franklin's Mai (Better than the other versions in English, especially Clinkenbeard's ditzy wacko esque take at times)
Duncan Brannan's Babidi (Perfect rendition of him in my eyes)
Sean Schemmel's Goku's older screams/yelling (Too rough and raspy nowadays when he does that-- miss the more controlled, smoother scream Sean did around the Buu to Remastered Era)
Chris Forbis' Dodoria and Mr./Doctor Brief(s) (The Kai Dodoria take Swasey did sounds like some Southern Redneck to me, and not intimidating in the least, while Mark Stoddard's Dr. Brief(s) comes off as very generic)
Brice Armstrong's Narration and Captain Ginyu (Armstrong had a kind, grandfatherly narrator voice I enjoyed, while his Captain Ginyu sounded most like a commander of an Elite Force to me)
Last edited by Singh is King on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:38 pm

Daisuke Gori (R.I.P), Kohei Miyauchi, and Mayumi Sho.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:12 am

As far as the English dub is concerned, I'd say I mostly miss Brice Armstrong as Ginyu and as the narrator for Dragon Ball. If he hadn't retired from voice acting, I think he should have been the narrator for Kai honestly. As for the Japanese version, Roshi and Tenshinhan's original voices come to mind.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 pm

DB1984 wrote:Kouhei Miyauchi and Daisuke Gori.
I'll add Hirotaka Suzuoka, Chikao Otsuka and Ichirou Nagai, and just about anyone else who has unfortunately passed away that I may be forgetting.

I also miss, not in the sense that they're diseased or passed way, Henrique Feist and Ricardo Spínola, in the sense that we don't get any recent Dragon Ball dubs, not even for Kai or the new films.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:13 pm

Does Horikawa's "old" voice count?
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Avery wrote:Does Horikawa's "old" voice count?
Why not? I put Schemmel's "old" yells down.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 pm

For the Dub, I'd go so far as to say it's the opposite. I don't think they changed ENOUGH. I love who they DID recast, but a few who kept their voices needed a serious recast (Kaio INSTANTLY comes to mind as one of them)

As for the Japanese version, I must parrot everyone here who misses Daisuke Gouri.... His voice just WAAS Mr. Satan, and while I find myself enjoying the performance of Unshou Ishizuka, and not being angry or holding it against Toei or him for obvious reasons.... it's just not Gouri and that makes me sad.

However, Shino Kakinuma's performance I don't like. I just don't like her take on Videl. I want Yuko Minaguchi back.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:43 pm

DemonRin wrote: a few who kept their voices needed a serious recast (Kaio INSTANTLY comes to mind as one of them)
You can add Recoome, Chi Chi, and Ox King to that list for me, tbh.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:46 pm

The two that I miss the most are without a doubt, Hirotaka Suzuoki's Tenshinhan and Kenji Utsumi's Reacoom. Suzuoki's Tenshinhan just gave this amazing stoic warrior feel to him. He truly understood the character and made me feel like Tenshinhan was a man who trained because he never was able to figure out what he truly wanted or what his purpose was in life. That's the feel that I always got from his performance. His two different replacements over the years just have never lived up to that.

As for Utsumi's Reacoom, his replacement does a good enough job, but there's just a certain level of sadistic eeriness that's missing without Utsumi.

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:00 pm

David Kaye as Recoome definitely. And Daisuke Gori.