Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:29 pm

I know that's been said a lot, but I've found myself questioning that of late, now that I think about it. After all, the very first FUNimation bilingual DVD, Captain Ginyu Assault, did have one corresponding ending credits sequence: 69's. And then the orange bricks used the ending credits for episode 1 ad nauseum. So it's obvious that, before the Dragon Boxes, they had at least two episodes' worth of DBZ's ending credits. And it just seems highly illogical to me that they'd just happen to have those two (one of which just happened to match one of the episodes on the very first disc they were putting out) and no more. Or are you talking exclusively about Kai?

Anyway, as for the topic itself... good grief. It's as if Kai can't NOT be a clusterfuck at any given time. One of the reasons I gave up on Kai a long time ago was just because of how impossible it was to actually own it. First there were two different aspect ratios. Then there were two different musical scores with various TV airings and home releases having different cutoff points for the change, different placement of music within each score, and now-out-of-print home release versions. It is now absolutely impossible to purchase anything even remotely resembling what was originally broadcast.

But with phase 2 of Kai and a new composer (as underwhelming as I find his music to be so far), I figured all of that was behind us, and all I'd have to be disgruntled about was the U.S. release being retitled and having FUNimation's dirty text all over it. Only now I find out there are two completely different versions of the show? And that the originally produced version was superseded by a recut version, technically making it the original version now? :crazy:

On one hand, I do find myself rather relieved. Watching Phase 2 Kai as it's been broadcast has been a largely unpleasant experience for me. Its pacing has just been beyond terrible. It's nice to know now there's an actual reasoning behind it, and it's not just that they don't know how to edit. But really? Two different versions of the same show? It's almost as if Toei has been watching FUNimation closely over all these years, through their '96 edited dub, the orange bricks, the Faulconer score, and all the other crap they've pulled and finally said to themselves, "Pfft. Amateurs. We can do a much worse job than that!" Every day, Kai reminds me more and more of the freaking English dub of Z.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm

I really don't have an issue with the 69 episode count - provided that it does what Kai was produced for in the first place, cut back on the majority/all of the filler, and be closer to the Manga.

A reduction of 23 episodes in total doesn't seem to be much of a cut, but if you think of it like this; 4 of those 23 are pure filler episodes (one of them is the Saiyaman reveal which is done differently to the manga, so this has been kept) thus leaving 3 full episodes removed, and 20 episodes worth of "filler" cut.

So minutes wise, that's 400, more than 6 hours worth of filler material gone. The presumption is that the Fight content for the most part has all been retained, if this is the case, then great - but I really hope we don't end up retaining the horrible filler scenes in between them; The awful stuff backstage at the World Tournament: Killa getting his hand electrocuted because he touched Spopovich ,Gotenks getting kicked by Super Buu and ending up in a broken shower with Piccolo, Mr. Satan talking to the media after his "win" over #18 at the World Tournament & the horrible "towel" scene, Dabura in the afterlife & finally that dreadful stuff inside Buu.

I really don't want hardly any filler left in if I'm honest, it's inevitable that some will have to be left, that's no different to what we have seen in the earlier Arcs of Kai , but at a minimum, if it is absolutely necessary.
Some of the beneficial filler is ok such as; Babidi transporting Gohan & Dabura to another location for their fight, Super Buu absorbing Krillin et al on Kami's lookout, and Trunks searching for the Dragon Radar at the Capsule Corp.

I just hope that we aren't going to be plagued with nearly 6 hours or so (assuming the Japanese count is a full years worth of 52) of painful filler, whilst the Japanese have a nice, streamlined, filler free version.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I know that's been said a lot, but I've found myself questioning that of late, now that I think about it. After all, the very first FUNimation bilingual DVD, Captain Ginyu Assault, did have one corresponding ending credits sequence: 69's. And then the orange bricks used the ending credits for episode 1 ad nauseum. So it's obvious that, before the Dragon Boxes, they had at least two episodes' worth of DBZ's ending credits. And it just seems highly illogical to me that they'd just happen to have those two (one of which just happened to match one of the episodes on the very first disc they were putting out) and no more. Or are you talking exclusively about Kai?
Talking exclusively about Kai, yes.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:41 am

Crud.....

I just realized something. Back when they were doing this for the international market only, we were all speculating about the music. If they were doing this for foreign markets, they wouldn't bother with new theme songs, and probably not new music either. They were probably planning on using Kikuchi tracks again.

I'm comparing this to Season 3 of Sonic X, which was 26 Episodes (53-78). It didn't air in Japan, but it was created for the international market. There were no new theme songs or animations, and almost all the music (barring two major themes) was recycled from the earlier episodes (not that that was a bad thing or anything). They figured they could slack off since they were replacing the music almost everywhere else in the world (except France). They were streamed in Japan later on, but I don't know where.

The point is, why would they do new theme songs if it was international only? This worries me and makes me think that we might not get those theme songs in the international version, and (worst case) maybe not even Sumitomo's music. It might just be more Kikuchi.

Anyone have any optimistic words for these thoughts? :(
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:14 am

Sumitomo said something about working in secret for a year on his blog if I recall? Why would he have been working that far in advance if not for the international version? As for the opening and ending, Kokoro no Hane was fairly focused on the Cell arc version of the cast and Dragon Soul would at least have to switch out the Cell focused scenes for more relevant Buu era ones, right?

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:35 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:Sumitomo said something about working in secret for a year on his blog if I recall? Why would he have been working that far in advance if not for the international version? As for the opening and ending, Kokoro no Hane was fairly focused on the Cell arc version of the cast and Dragon Soul would at least have to switch out the Cell focused scenes for more relevant Buu era ones, right?
I hope you're right. As much as I like Kikuchi, I would far prefer a fresh and new score. I hope the only difference is minor placement here and there. As for the theme songs, maybe they added them later? And I heard there were going to be several ending themes, too. They'll probably distribute them based on the rough equivalent of the series it changes.

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Aside that the pacing and editing of Great Saiyaman's arc was awful I'm really enjoying the rest of the series now and I'd rather get Japan's cut edition than the International because they're getting a shorter version while we're getting the longer one.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:33 am

As it happens, a certain VA told me during his panel at A-Kon this year that he was really excited to be revisiting the role of Gohan in Kai and BoG. So yeah.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:41 am

CaBrPi wrote:As it happens, a certain VA told me during his panel at A-Kon this year that he was really excited to be revisiting the role of Gohan in Kai and BoG. So yeah.
So Kyle Hebert is saying once again that it is happening, Sabat says it isn't, and Schemmel would rather not comment on it. :?
I guess if one person says it, it mus be true. Sabat has been known to troll in the past like that. :lol:

"This sucks. Make more."

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:54 am

At this point, just ignore what people say and just wait for the final product.
This is the lesson we ought to learn from Dragon Ball Clusterfuckai.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:03 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
CaBrPi wrote:As it happens, a certain VA told me during his panel at A-Kon this year that he was really excited to be revisiting the role of Gohan in Kai and BoG. So yeah.
So Kyle Hebert is saying once again that it is happening, Sabat says it isn't, and Schemmel would rather not comment on it. :?
I guess if one person says it, it mus be true. Sabat has been known to troll in the past like that. :lol:
It's not trolling. If the higher ups at FUNimation tell the voice actors not to talk about certain projects, they're not gonna talk about certain projects. It's their job, they don't wanna get fired.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:13 am

I hope Kyle H. uses his Kamina voice for Saiyanman

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:04 pm

So apparently Korea just started airing a dubbed version of Buu saga Kai on the channel Anibox and it's entitled "'드래곤볼 Z 카이 (DBZ Kai) The Final Chapters". So from the sounds of it, they're airing the international version. I couldn't find any clips of it on the web so maybe Kei17 or someone in Korea could help.
Last edited by wjbraden on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm

wjbraden wrote:So apparently Korea just started airing a dubbed version of Buu saga Kai on the channel Anibox and it's entitled "'드래곤볼 Z 카이 (DBZ Kai) The Final Chapters". So from the sounds of it, they're airing the international version. I couldn't fin any clips of it on the web so maybe Kei17 or someone in Korea could help.
Link? Where'd you find that out?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Korea airing Dbz Kai. I gotta call my brother on my dad's side. They gotta be pumped

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
It's not trolling. If the higher ups at FUNimation tell the voice actors not to talk about certain projects, they're not gonna talk about certain projects. It's their job, they don't wanna get fired.
True, but outright denying something and not commenting are two different things.

Interesting about the Korean version there. Our first glimpse of the International Version. Here, our questions will be answered.

"This sucks. Make more."

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Great. It appears 6 episodes have already aired in Korea for the Buu Saga - they are airing it in blocks of three. I'd be very interested to see how these episodes are playing out.

First episode starts at 5am UK time, and this week looks like episodes 105,106 & 107 of "our" International Version.

Unfortunately, they haven't yet updated the episode titles, on the link below (I used google to translate) the first 2 episodes have the same titles, the 3rd mentions Gohan & Videl, but the translation is a little off (I think we can assume that the Saiyaman Arc remains the same).

http://www.epg.co.kr/new/tvguide/tvguid ... el_group=2
Last edited by DBZ_Lee on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 pm

any links, or has anyone actually seen any footage? like was said, that would definitely answer quite a number of questions. hell, simply knowing the episode titles of these few episodes would probably tell a lot.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Great. It appears 6 episodes have already aired in Korea for the Buu Saga - they are airing it in blocks of three. I'd be very interested to see how these episodes are playing out.

First episode starts at 5am UK time, and this week looks like episodes 105,106 & 107 of "our" International Version.

http://www.epg.co.kr/new/tvguide/tvguid ... el_group=2
Lemme call my family there. I'm sure there is some information. Hopefully they watched it.