Kai episode 3

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Covering up Goku's hole... I'am a little on the fence about this. I know some people say it was originally a black blur in the manga but, I don't know... seems odd to me.
Even though most of the blood wasn't in the manga, Goku's wound in Kai is still very light-looking compared to his manga wound. In the manga it's a big, black hole, while in Kai it's smaller and paler (you can actually see the line of Goku's pecs through the wound if you look closely).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:53 pm

I didn't see Kai's first two episodes, but I saw this one.

The music seemed weird at first, but grew on me. REALLY liked the new music for Goku's death. The speed really is ridiculously fast and feels like its jumping all over. I like the idea of filler less watching, but maybe a little bit more then this. I'm hoping when we get later on this will even out some.

The voice performances also seem weird, Piccolo in particular just doesn't sound quite right.

I will say this was different, and I did overall like it. Not sure if I like it more or less then Z, but this certainly doesn't make me want to forget DBZ alltogether though.

Also, 1k posts, geeze took me 5 years to get this many posts. xD
-Laserkid

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:53 pm

I missed out on the live stream (darn Comcast) but I caught it the second it was put up on le YouTube and I gotta say... it's kind of a mixed bag, this episode.

While I really liked how the episode covered the entire Raditz fight, I gotta agree that the censoring in this episode was ridiculous. While the whole lightning bolt effect of the Makkankosappo is pretty interesting (seriously, I still can't wrap my mind around that concept!) when you get to the core of things, they pretty much censored their own material. It's stuff like this that just makes me wish that they reanimated the series entirely. At least if they made the change then, it could be seen as more of a change and less of something being censored since everything's completely reanimated.

Also, frankly, I was kinda weirded out by Gohan's scene. Here we are in the midst of a fight, with both Goku and Piccolo struggling just to keep up and all of a sudden this kid pops out of Raditz's ship? I guess I can see why that would warrant "weird wonky" music, but until I saw the scene in Kai, I was always more shocked than weirded out by it. Still, it was pretty interesting to see that scene in a completely different light.

As for my thought's on the Vegeta and Nappa scene: Yay for correct Vegeta colors and boo for still incorrect Nappa colors. Honestly, though, I never really noticed that Nappa's colors were off in those early episodes, si I don't mind that much... still kinda stupid that they corrected Vegeta and not him, though.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:And this just seemed awkward to me. When Krillin is yelling to Goku and he is not responding he has this look on his face...
Agreed. When I first saw Goku's face, I thought they were gonna completely cut out Goku's talking bits 'cuz it would be too traumatizing to see a guy on his death bed still talking... but then he comes to a couple seconds later. Weird.
kei17 in the General Kai thread wrote: The things annoyed me most were the voice of Nappa and a slowed down battle scene.
Look carefully at the scene Piccolo and Goku make a first strike on Raditz.
It's obviously half-speeded for the sake of fucking Pokemon-something.
If that's the case, then I wonder how they'll pull off the beam struggle between Goku and Vegeta. From what I remember, stuff got pretty seizure-inducing there.
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:03 am

Fun math fact: running Snake Way is the same as running around the Earth 25 times. No wonder it took Goku 6 months to reach Kaio's, while Piccolo, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu made it in about 6 weeks.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:08 am

Dayspring wrote:No wonder it took Goku 6 months to reach Kaio's, while Piccolo, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu made it in about 6 weeks.
Didn't they take over two months?

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:12 am

Just one out of a handful of shots in this episode that just really stood out to me:

10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:14 am

That looks like it was poorly animated to begin with...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 am

Herms wrote:
Dayspring wrote:No wonder it took Goku 6 months to reach Kaio's, while Piccolo, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu made it in about 6 weeks.
Didn't they take over two months?
Was it that much? How much time passed between their deaths and Bulma and co leaving for Namek? At that, how much time was spent on Namek prior to their arrival at Kaio's? The trip itself was a month.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:30 am

Dayspring wrote:Was it that much? How much time passed between their deaths and Bulma and co leaving for Namek? At that, how much time was spent on Namek prior to their arrival at Kaio's? The trip itself was a month.
I guess it would only be 7 1/2 weeks. Bulma and co. leave 11 days after Vegeta and Nappa arrive. I keep thinking that the trip to Planet Namek took 2 months (I guess Bulma's line saying she'll be back in 2 months is what's confusing me, but she's talking abou the round trip).

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:51 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Just one out of a handful of shots in this episode that just really stood out to me:

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww34 ... bkai05.jpg[/img]
Same here, a lot of shots looked a little odd. This one for me:

Vegeta did look good though, even if his colors were a little too vibrant in a couple of shots. It makes me wonder why they didn't just go back and do this in the first place.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:53 am

I just posted those images, and others on the previous page. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:59 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I just posted those images, and others on the previous page. :evil:
:shock: You did too! Your Vegeta one won't load up for me so I can't tell if mines the same, but my Goku image is the exact same as yours. That's so weird! Sorry, didn't see, I thought I'd seen all posts on page 1.

Btw, did anyone else find Goku's death music to be a little weird and spooky? It's something I'd expect off Elfen Lied or something.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:29 am

Considering we're saying how close to the manga this is, let's just pull up a panel of the wound in question, manga-style.

After this, the thing starts seeping blood as Goku lies on the ground.

I don't know about you guys, but even though there is no blood...I get the sense that this is a HOLE, a deep wound. And that what we got in Kai was a bruise.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:45 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I don't know about you guys, but even though there is no blood...I get the sense that this is a HOLE, a deep wound. And that what we got in Kai was a bruise.
Yeah, that's definately a hole. Although despite you saying otherwise, I definately see a little bit of blood there. Nowhere near the level in DBZ, but it's there.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 am

My definition of 'hole' was off, really. When I say "it wasn't really a hole", I'm thinking more like the hole Goku left in Daimao. But in the manga it looks like it punctured the skin, at least. Other than that it's like a hideous burn, like a bolt of lightning would leave if it went through you.

The one in Kai definitely looks too minor. I mean, it could have looked worse without actually being all bloody and horrible, you know? The impression I got was that it was more of a burn than a bruise, but that might just be my monitor, and it's the first thing my mind leaped to.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:04 am

Bussani wrote:My definition of 'hole' was off, really. When I say "it wasn't really a hole", I'm thinking more like the hole Goku left in Daimao. But in the manga it looks like it punctured the skin, at least. Other than that it's like a hideous burn, like a bolt of lightning would leave if it went through you.

The one in Kai definitely looks too minor. I mean, it could have looked worse without actually being all bloody and horrible, you know? The impression I got was that it was more of a burn than a bruise, but that might just be my monitor, and it's the first thing my mind leaped to.
Look at the shading on the edges. There's DEPTH there, because we have a beam that basically drilled through his flesh and left an opening in there. And as far as I can tell, burns don't bleed.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:16 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Look at the shading on the edges. There's DEPTH there, because we have a beam that basically drilled through his flesh and left an opening in there. And as far as I can tell, burns don't bleed.
I didn't disagree. I said it punctured the skin, that gives it depth, that's where the blood comes from. It probably ripped his insides up pretty good on the way through as well.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:19 am

Bussani wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Look at the shading on the edges. There's DEPTH there, because we have a beam that basically drilled through his flesh and left an opening in there. And as far as I can tell, burns don't bleed.
I didn't disagree. I said it punctured the skin, that gives it depth, that's where the blood comes from. It probably ripped his insides up pretty good on the way through as well.
Ah, sorry. I misread, then. My bad.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:23 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Ah, sorry. I misread, then. My bad.
It's okay man, I don't think I've been very good at putting my thoughts into words today. To be honest, the manga panel you posted does make the wound look deeper than I would have remembered.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:24 am

I finally got to sit down and watch the episode. Here's my thoughts. I promise, I'll actually not like something this time.

1) The music was cool during the first part of the fight. I was diggin' it during the end of the last episode and I'm glad I got to hear a longer version.

2) I like the pacing of the fight. It felt more like they were actually fighting and not just having a heated discussion with a few violent bursts once in awhile.

3) The music when Gohan popped out of the space pod was cool. It was very fitting of a young Gohan. I like to think of it as a "Gohan Theme" now! It made me really happy!

4) I didn't like the censoring. Yes, to me, a burn mark makes complete sense. I'm not going to explain it in-depth, though, because it's boring martial arts spiritual theory junk that usually kills conversations here. I would've preferred the original style bloody hole.

5) Overall, I'm still liking it. I had an issue with it, but as long as there's no other dimensions, invisible parachutes, cargo robots, or a scientist Bardock I'll be fine.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co