Missed chance - no Dragon Ball

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Missed chance - no Dragon Ball

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:51 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Meh. Even if they did the original DB first, people wouldn't care much for it. Heck, in the US, DB didn't do much in the past when it was on Toonami, and I DOUBT there'll be a difference if the "Kaied" original one now. If anything, some people would just rather wait for Z Kai after DB Kai or if they are gonna do a DB Kai after Z Kai, people aren't gonna be interested in it.

I may like the original DB, but I honestly don't blame some fans for skipping DB, cuz it can be a bit too silly. Sure Z can be a bit too serious, but sometimes serious=mo' money. Same goes for Naruto and One Piece, the sequels get more famous than their first halfs because it got right into the nitty gritty, while keeping some of its comedy aspects.
Since when does One piece have a sequel? I think Naruto Part 2 is more popular for bad reasons now a days.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:14 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Heck, in the US, DB didn't do much in the past when it was on Toonami,
Hard numbers to back this up? Because there was a time back in the day when Toonami was literally three hours of the original Dragon Ball. Maybe it was during an "off-season" period, but still, it wasn't Z.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, the whole "Dragon Ball is silly" thing needs to be put to rest. Everything except the first 13 episodes is actually fairly serious. Heck, when King Piccolo shows up, it's pretty much all fighting.
The humor came across a lot better in the manga in my opinion.
Adamant wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote: The manga was so well-executed, there's no reason the anime couldn't be.
It was a weekly, long-running anime adapting a weekly, long-running manga with 14 pages a week and very very long story arcs with little room for original side adventures to be inserted. There wasn't really any way to adapt it outside stretching out the material the way they did.
Oh, I know. I was referring more to what Kai could do with it.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:13 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I got a solution: maybe stop being a whore money and actually make the show in seasons like... you know... the rest of the world?
Pretty much my thoughts all the way. Excluding the big syndicated shows (which went into decline pretty much as Dragon Ball started airing in Japan), the standard American TV season order is 13 episodes, and 22 for a prime-time series. Producing more than double that amount a year is just insane, and must cost a fortune, even if it employs a great deal of Japanese artists (unless Japan has jumped on the outsourcing train that has gutted the American animation industry over the past 40 or so years).

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:21 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Then they'd lose their timeslot and the show would have no set airing-time anymore.
That's not necessarily the case. Unless the networks tinker with the schedule between seasons, hit shows stay in the same time slot when the summer (which is loading up with trashy reality junk instead of reruns these days) ends. In the UK, the BBC keeps Doctor Who at the same Saturday evening time slot it has occupied for most of its existence (the big exception being the '80s) even though its hiatuses are even longer than the ones in the US are. Seasons can be done, it's just that the networks and animation studios are too set in their ways to evolve.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:28 am

TheGmGoken wrote: Since when does One piece have a sequel? I think Naruto Part 2 is more popular for bad reasons now a days.
I'm sure he's just speaking of the Time-skip OP went through a couple years back.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:06 am

Except the humor in One Piece Post Time Skip is pretty much the same.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Ok, the whole "Dragon Ball is silly" thing needs to be put to rest. Everything except the first 13 episodes is actually fairly serious. Heck, when King Piccolo shows up, it's pretty much all fighting.
Perhaps I didn't specify why I think DB can be a bit too silly. To me, half the humor in DB isn't funny and too broad. Though I think that the Red Ribbon Army and King Piccolo sagas are the best of DB.
TheGmGoken wrote: Since when does One piece have a sequel?
Like the other said, I'm talking about the timeskip. They could've called it "One Piece: New World" instead of still calling it One Piece.
TheGmGoken wrote: I think Naruto Part 2 is more popular for bad reasons now a days.
Mostly because of Naruto's boyfriend SASUKEEEEEE!! Sure, some people would say that DBZ is too focused on the Saiyans, but at least they were new and interesting unlike the Naruto and Sasuke love/hate boyfriend BS, which Kishimoto kept rehashing.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Mostly because of Naruto's boyfriend SASUKEEEEEE
Naruto and Sasuke love/hate boyfriend BS, which Kishimoto kept rehashing.
That's a Naruto stereotype that's very well not true. Hate when people say this.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:02 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
That's a Naruto stereotype that's very well not true. Hate when people say this.
I've been reading Naruto weekly for over 8 years now, and that stereotype is absolutely grounded in truth. Although, it's not so much Naruto's obsession with Sasuke (Although it's part of it), it's how much Kishimoto himself has some type of weird favoritism when it comes to the Uchiha's.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
But it's getting annoying to the point when people are just gonna call it that.

Anyway, on topic, as I said again, I doubt that a DB Kai would be successful as Z Kai. It'd be successful, but wouldn't knock Z out.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Big Momma wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
I've been reading Naruto weekly for over 8 years now, and that stereotype is absolutely grounded in truth. Although, it's not so much Naruto's obsession with Sasuke (Although it's part of it), it's how much Kishimoto himself has some type of weird favoritism when it comes to the Uchiha's.
Same but I never saw it like that. Kishimoto said he favorite character to draw was Sasuke. Naruto don't shout Sasuke name every chapter like people say. I see nothing wrong with it. Didn't Vegeta do the same with Goku but one sided.