Were you surprised by Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Were you surprised by Super?

Post by Cetra » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Nafno wrote:As I said, I have no intention whatsoever to start a discussion, I just wanted to say some facts because you keep imposing everyone your "official = canon" over and over, and repeating it doesn't make it true.

BTW, reported means that you've called the mods or something like that? I am surprised that you find this offensive. I mean, you go here and there telling people that your conception of what is canon and what isn't is the only one valid, and when someone actually answers you with information, facts and without being disrespectful, you take offence. It wasn't my goal at all, just wanted to create a counterpoint.
Really the only facts you have posted here were situations like the Gargoyle's creator being allowed to write something or Akira Toriyama writing Dragon Ball Online based on his story or fans doing this and that. It did not actually prove anything of what I say wrong. It actually, if we are really nitpicky, totally strengthens what I say because all of those people who were allowed to do something were allowed through owning it or because someone who owns it, gave them permission. I also told you, why I reported you - the fact that you merely log in to just argue with me - that is definitely a totally polemical behaviour. I do not go with "what I go by/think what canonicity means", that is what you do not understand. I go with how the world works. When there is a tree outside of my house and you say there is not and I say there isn't, then of course what you and I say can both be called an opinion but it will not change that my statement comes "truth" closer than yours. So, as said - if you really think canonicity does not depend on law and property - and that is not something you might forget in certain posts, it is also about property, you even mentioned it - then release something of an also existent brand. You are not able to make it canonical. Only once you are allowed. You are very much focused on trying to tell me that I am wrong but as a matter of fact you ignore so much of what I say or stuff that is simply self-explanatory, it is not even worth both our time. You also think too much about very old-school definitions. Earlier a cyborg was just a totally robotic body with a human brain. Nowadays every fool with just a cyber-arm is a cyborg. Meanings change or maybe even more meanings are added and important for context x. But what is not important is a meaning that does not exist or has no background or is simply not needed in context x. And the issue of law and who owns what is always important. Also you keep making the same mistake people make all the time: You claim something to be a fact (something you say I do) and then you, when people don't believe it, say "it is an opinion that people do not respect". I at least do not act like it is a fact and then say people to not respect my opinion. I would not argue about opinions in the first place. The logic of people is inconsistent when it comes to such discussions and they are not ready to agree in the first place and this is the entire reason why people keep on disagreeing even if someone actually says something is right. With my EDIT of course I also want to explain that when someone does not publish anything then of course the canonicity lies by his choice alone, even if it is not something officially public. That includes the "property" again. But normally, when it comes to publishing, property and law fall into one and the same pot. Everything else, like when I say I make a doujinshi and I write a "canonicity to this doujinshi", then of course this is just a pseudo-canonicity - it has no influence on the actual story as long as no rightholder says so.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:42 pm

How is logging to answer someone offensive and a reason to report? Do you want me to log not to write a thing?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Nafno wrote:How is logging to answer someone offensive and a reason to report? Do you want me to log not to write a thing?
- You said you are normally not writing anything
- yet you were actually bothered by a lot of my posts
- and only for those posts you have changed your own behaviour
- for the sake of an argument
- that you knew I would most likely answer to because I do it most of the time

That means you wanted to argue so bad that instead of just ignoring me and doing the same thing you always did, you logged in and started the argument - which you knew I would answer to. You knew it would not do anything good and still you have rather broken your own rule just to provoke this unnecessary argument.

As this has no longer anything to do with Super or canonicity - mods, please delete the last few posts. I apologize. And if necessary, I continue via PM.

EDIT: Conflict resolved.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:25 pm

precita wrote:I don't think anyone ever believed we would get a new series after GT (not counting Kai), so Super was indeed a huge shock. What I thought was going to happen was that Toei would start releasing a new movie every year after Battle of Gods was a success and Return of F was announced. I expected a new movie to be announced for 2016...not a series.
There was literally zero percent chance of that happening after the early 2000s revival showed it to be an evergreen property.

The only surprise here was getting a new series set within the original continuity.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Oh, so you guys are done? Finally.

Ahem...yes, I was greatly surprised. I first read it on an anime Facebook page (in my native language) but didn't look into it since I was under the impression that it was just a rumor. Then I checked Kanzenshuu and holy cow, it was actually happening!
I joined the DB fandom about a year ago, and only finished GT in February, so I feel really lucky to receive so much new material almost immediately after finishing the original series. I always get into Anime/game fandoms way too late and keep telling myself "if only I'd bothered to give it a try earlier". Thankfully, this wasn't the case with DB.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:34 pm

I was surprised it even exists.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:46 pm

I was surprised we got it so fast. After BoG and the tidbit of the 12 Universes, I was expecting another movie which did happen. After FnF, I saw a series in the horizont, however I expected another movie before that.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Why are people surprise that they would make a new series? Dragon Ball is still a popular brand name, a new series was going to be made sooner than later. GT didn't so well, Toei most likely wanted to wait a long period of time to help rebuild interest over the next decade. The 2008 Jump Special, Kai, Episode of Bardock and BOG could have been test just to see how much interest there is with people today besides the hardcore fans like us.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:51 pm

For Tarble's OVA and Episode of Bardock, we would need to know how many people were presented to watch them during their respective events.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:01 pm

By how it exists? Yeah. I was in the camp where I'd thought all we'd get were new movies yet here we are. I was also one of the people that were weirded out when they said they'll retell BOG (which so far...while it started enjoyable....was sort of a roller coaster in quality). But, yeah. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out down the line.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Why are people surprise that they would make a new series?
I think because it had been so unbelievably long since GT and GT didn't fare so great and then we had Kai which was a disaster sort of on its own which wasn't even new material so I think most people believed that Toei would stick with movies because they just worked.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:32 pm

GT ended in 1997, right? Super began in 2015.

If you don't count Kai since it had no new animation, then there hadn't been a new series in 18 years. So why wouldn't anyone be surprised? Did people seriously think even a few years ago we would ever get a brand new series continuing the story of the franchise?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Edit: Misread, please excuse me. :)
Last edited by LuckyCat on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:17 pm

I wasn't surprised, I was excited!!! Lot of people predicted that this would happen, but I didn't excpect it that soon and honestly, it shows. I strongly believe that the show was produced in a rush.
Also, the Super in the end is little dumb. But miles better than ''Hoshi'' :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:06 am

I was bloody floored when I first heard the news. Especially considering how soon the series would begin. It was all so much to take in. :D
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Surprised it was announced so soon after "F". Guess the success of it fast tracked the new series, hence probably the retellings. But I said it way back in "F" thread when it was made clear that there would be no universe exploration that it is best suited as a tv series and looks like Toei understood this too, thankfully, so in that sense I wasn't surprised that we got a tv series. But I am surprised at how well Super has retold BoG, was expecting the worse given the lack of Toriyama ( sadly Toei don't seem to capture the characters aswell as Toriyama can which is why I am super worried about the "F" arc since the character interaction was the main selling point of the film).

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:26 am

Nafno wrote:How is logging to answer someone offensive and a reason to report?
It isn't. The only real issue was that this wasn't necessarily the best thread to start discussing canonicity.
-Rachel