Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Gets Cancelled Overseas Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:52 pm Some of those episodes are pretty cringy, but if the choice is between leaving them untouched and canceling the whole show, I'd much prefer the former.
Relevant
After the presentation of the complaint, the Directorate of Analysis, Investigation and Monitoring analyzed the episode and identified that the scene contains abuse and subjection by a male on an adolescent. Once the claim is settled, Both from Carton Network and from Warnermedia took measures, starting by withdrawing the anime completely from the air and stated that they will proceed to edit the entire series in order to return to the air as they had been doing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/marketrese ... 43834/amp/

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:56 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 pm
Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:28 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 pm Now I want Argentina to do badly in the world cup.
Being vindictive is not cool, you can't blame the players for the stupidity of their government.
Everyone knows that football is not about seeing your team win, but about seeing the opponents’ fans upset over a loss.
It's really sad

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 pm Now I want Argentina to do badly in the world cup.
Being vindictive is not cool, you can't blame the players for the stupidity of their government.
You are greatly misunderstanding the situation, it was Cartoon Network who chose to pull the plug, it wasn't a government decision.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:20 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm
You are greatly misunderstanding the situation, it was Cartoon Network who chose to pull the plug, it wasn't a government decision.
Yes Cartoon Network took the cartoon off the air, but it was preceded by an attack by the Argentine Ministry of Women on an episode of the Super series (at least that's what web portals are reporting).

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:20 pm

Yes Cartoon Network took the cartoon off the air, but it was preceded by an attack by the Argentine Ministry of Women on an episode of the Super series (at least that's what web portals are reporting).
It was not an attack, they called them out on a particular scene that they believe should be censored, and CN answered by taking DBS off the air completely. Apparently, because they are going to edit the whole show and need time to do so.

Roshi's behaviour is and always has been questionable at the very least, so there's no stupidity from either party.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:31 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm

It was not an attack, they called them out on a particular scene that they believe should be censored, and CN answered by taking DBS off the air completely. Apparently, because they are going to edit the whole show and need time to do so.

Roshi's behaviour is and always has been questionable at the very least, so there's no stupidity from either party.

I'll say this, it's stupid to me because I don't believe that CN didn't realize the content of the episodes they were airing. So I understand that if it wasn't for this scandal, the uncensored episodes would be shown normally, for me it's stupid because it's enough to censor one episode and not the whole series. Roshi's behavior is a gag, it's part of his character which is about being an old thug and that's not new in anime.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:38 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:57 am Many popular anime are historically left-wing in their politics. The Dragon Ball Super cartoon's production team deciding that rape jokes and actual attempted and unchallenged rape was appropriate for the child audience is what I'd file away under as being "yikes, what the fuck?"
I don't know how is the original Dragon Ball in Argentina, but since the scene from the Super episode led to this very interesting controversy and banishment of the Super series, I wonder how are the first 16 volumes of the manga, are they censored because there were a lot more situations like that than in Super. For the Japanese this kind of humor seems natural, because over the years I have noticed that in anime there is always a gag pervert. But if they release there Dragon Ball anime and manga uncensored, it means that they don't realize that the whole series is famous for such situations, and I hope that the whole thing won't get hurt. Toriyama in interviews (especially in some promotional material with Broly) mentioned that he hopes that children will like it (or the translation to my language has gone wrong), so he knows what audience the series is aimed at. Well, I thought that the great popularity of anime in Western countries had already made everyone immune to this humor, but one is always wrong.
Restrictions have grown over the years but this content somehow still slipped in. There is plenty of content in the original comic and cartoons that I would say is inappropriate for children and should be clearly as labeled as such.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Roshi has been like that since the first episodes of the manga in the 80s, so they could have edited it before the broadcast because the consequences were predictable, and they just woke up with their hand in the pot

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:45 pm

I’m just gonna say, internet traffic towards pirating sites are gonna dip up quite significantly in Argentina.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:53 pm

I'm just joking :lol:

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:53 pm
I'm just joking :lol:
It's hard to feel it in the written word

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 am I'm from Poland (don't know what's wrong with that), I doubt my posts hurt anyone, and that comment sounded like it was a bad idea that I was here.Especially since I'm only expressing subjective opinions about the series, and interpretations of various events in the universe. I don't know what my background has to do with it, because I've never thought badly of my background.
for what it's worth, i don't think VegettoEX literally meant that you were from the wrong like physical location, more so like place of mind.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Roshi has been like that since the first episodes of the manga in the 80s, so they could have edited it before the broadcast because the consequences were predictable, and they just woke up with their hand in the pot
I agree it's kinda stupid to air a show without knowing its content, and that's why they pulled the whole show in order to edit it, when they should know Roshi's antics aren't there for 131 episodes, only like 3, at most. I retract my comment that it wasn't stupid from CN. We'll have to see if the show actually comes back on the air, it was replaced by Captain Tsubasa, so there's that as well.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:36 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:57 am I'm from Poland (don't know what's wrong with that), I doubt my posts hurt anyone, and that comment sounded like it was a bad idea that I was here.Especially since I'm only expressing subjective opinions about the series, and interpretations of various events in the universe. I don't know what my background has to do with it, because I've never thought badly of my background.
It just sounded like what I've posted so far was harmful, and I don't even have bad intentions. Whether my state of mind is bad I don't know, I'm just trying my best to express what I mean.

for what it's worth, i don't think VegettoEX literally meant that you were from the wrong like physical location, more so like place of mind.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:30 am Funny thing is the Ministry of Women requested the scene, not the episode or the show, to be censored, but Cartoon Network pulled the plug altogether. The MoW was Goku using the Zeno button, and CW was Zeno, lol.

I haven't watched that episode in 3 or 4 years, but IIRC, Roshi actually overcomes his perversion, and we see the results at the ToP. I also, vaguely, remember the Tenshinhan Dojo episode were Roshi does awful stuff as well that I recall as worse than the episode in question.
Does he though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93SPnrqsLTk

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 am

Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am Political correctness is a cancer that has been trying to get into anime and manga for a long time, these people completely don't understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series, they try to fight something they don't know.
“Political Correctness” is another way of saying “I want to be able to do and say anything and not face consequences for it”.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:51 am

This is like the perfect combination of things I find dumb/annoying. People complaining about Roshi gags like they're some serious issue is one of the dumbest things to come out of the DB fandom; and I also hate governments getting involved in media and other things instead of just sticking to making sure the traffic lights and firetrucks work.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 am

Aim wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 am
Alkiser wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am Political correctness is a cancer that has been trying to get into anime and manga for a long time, these people completely don't understand Toriyama's humor or the atmosphere of the series, they try to fight something they don't know.
“Political Correctness” is another way of saying “I want to be able to do and say anything and not face consequences for it”.
Political correctness is a way of speech that involves using euphemistic alternatives to phrases that are merely perceived to be offensive; all it does is sugarcoat touchy topics and make one look patronizing.
With that said, DBS being pulled off is not even a case of Political Correctness, as much it is a case of removing negative influences from children.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:58 am
Political correctness is a way of speech that involves using euphemistic alternatives to phrases that are merely perceived to be offensive; all it does is sugarcoat touchy topics and make one look patronizing.
With that said, DBS being pulled off is not even a case of Political Correctness, as much it is a case of removing negative influences from children.

Yeah, because there are a lot of perverts on this planet who watched Roshi gags in their youth xD.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:30 am

So why should Toriyama's work suffer consequences for its humor?
So many years of publishing manga and releasing anime, and it's only the 21st century that makes this some big issue that supposedly demoralizes children.