Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:43 am

pepd wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 am I doubt even who propose it believe it (like with many "predictions"), but there is no way one movie can even seriously damage the franchise, it would be not awful enough like DBS anime or "too awful to be even considered" like Evolution.
Even if it's a movie so bad that makes Evolution look good, so what? Even if the movie makes a low amount of money, DB just won't get killed off like that, at best it can delay stuff like 2uper anime or other movies, but DB is too huge of a franchise to die that easily lol.
I hadn't come to account that Evolution is just as official. lol
And if anything, it was so bad it helped revive the franchise.
Lol yeah, if I remember correctly, Evolution pissed off Toriyama and he rewrote BoG to make sure it's not as bad, or somethin' like that.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:35 am

pepd wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 am I doubt even who propose it believe it (like with many "predictions"), but there is no way one movie can even seriously damage the franchise, it would be not awful enough like DBS anime or "too awful to be even considered" like Evolution.
Lukmendes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:16 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:43 pm One bad movie and the franchise dies
Yes, because DB is a niche franchise with a very small viewership everywhere, a single bad movie risks killing everything.
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:42 pm I'm just gonna leave this here...
I legit expected a picture of Evolution lol.
You sure are not making any sense here with one thing. The DBS anime has never been perceived as awful by the general public or Toei considering It made the franchise more popular. The viewership of its eps used to crash the servers of crunchyroll during 2017-2018 and it overtook One Piece in ratings in Japan. Its Home media release did well in sales and its merchandise also has been doing decently internationally for the last 7 years. So What did it damage exactly ?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 am

Issei189 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:35 am
Lukmendes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:16 am
Yes, because DB is a niche franchise with a very small viewership everywhere, a single bad movie risks killing everything.

I legit expected a picture of Evolution lol.
You sure are not making any sense here with one thing. The DBS anime has never been perceived as awful by the general public
It most definitely was percieved as awful. Look at all the bad animation memes, it was roasted all over the internet.

or Toei considering It made the franchise more popular. The viewership of its eps used to crash the servers of crunchyroll during 2017-2018 and it overtook One Piece in ratings in Japan. Its Home media release did well in sales and its merchandise also has been doing decently internationally for the last 7 years.
I think that's their point: even though it was bad it didn't end or damage the franchise.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:54 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 am

You sure are not making any sense here with one thing. The DBS anime has never been perceived as awful by the general public
It most definitely was percieved as awful. Look at all the bad animation memes, it was roasted all over the internet.

or Toei considering It made the franchise more popular. The viewership of its eps used to crash the servers of crunchyroll during 2017-2018 and it overtook One Piece in ratings in Japan. Its Home media release did well in sales and its merchandise also has been doing decently internationally for the last 7 years.
I think that's their point: even though it was bad it didn't end or damage the franchise.
And then the Ultra Instinct memes happend and the "he's speaking the language of the gods" meme. We can't really use memes to determine the popularity of a series. Especially when we had a big live crowd watch a DBS episode, Which shows that only the online vocal minority hated Super and the general public don't.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:59 am

For the sake of fairness, let's also show the "other side" of the "DBS anime picture":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMmc_1GOuQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xBKizQntU&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-bghGdfVc

Legit lol at even trying to compare the DBS anime to Evolution, it wasn't even detrimental to the franchise in the first place. The DBS anime was a major success and one of the most popular animes of the last decade.

Despite all the hate it gets from online circles (like this one), the Heroes Anime is presumably also very popular. Since Heroes is one of the most popular arcade videogames in Japan, so we can assume that the PROMOTIONAL anime is doing its job right.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:13 am

To this day I am stilled amazed that those unofficial public screenings happened despite legal warnings from Toei Animation. An entire fucking nation was like "Yeah, fuck off!"

All for the first Dragon Ball cartoon series finale in twenty years.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:36 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:13 am To this day I am stilled amazed that those unofficial public screenings happened despite legal warnings from Toei Animation. An entire fucking nation was like "Yeah, fuck off!"

Turns out when you have your country's government on your side, Toei can't touch you
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:50 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:54 am

And then the Ultra Instinct memes happend and the "he's speaking the language of the gods" meme. We can't really use memes to determine the popularity of a series. Especially when we had a big live crowd watch a DBS episode, Which shows that only the online vocal minority hated Super and the general public don't.
You guys are missing our point. I'm not saying it wasn't popular, it was extremely popular, but half of it looked like hot garbage. Even so, we still watched every episode because it's Dragon Ball. My point is that one bad movie or a poorly animated series isn’t going to "end the franchise" as was claimed earlier in this thread, so even if Super Hero sucks (which I highly doubt), the franchise will continue to thrive and the story will go on.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:39 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:13 am To this day I am stilled amazed that those unofficial public screenings happened despite legal warnings from Toei Animation. An entire fucking nation was like "Yeah, fuck off!"

Toei has no power in Latin America.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:00 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:50 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:54 am

You guys are missing our point. I'm not saying it wasn't popular, it was extremely popular, but half of it looked like hot garbage. Even so, we still watched every episode because it's Dragon Ball. My point is that one bad movie or a poorly animated series isn’t going to "end the franchise" as was claimed earlier in this thread, so even if Super Hero sucks (which I highly doubt), the franchise will continue to thrive and the story will go on.
That and popularity does not indicate quality. There's a lot of trash out there that also make a ton of money. Also "It's Dragon Ball." There's no way this bombs financially--because Dragon Ball is too big to fail. More importantly, I don't even think that Toei themselves believe that this is meant to make all of the money. I mean, we've known since the beginning that Super Hero was made in conjunction with Broly, and that they adopted the cgi animation because it was much easier to deal with than two movies made largely in 2d animation.

I have no idea why some of you are being weird about this shit. Again, the idea that this movie will somehow cause the complete failure of an entire 30+ year franchise is some fucking bonkers shit because that is not how real life works.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:51 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:39 pm

Toei has no power in Latin America.
They could send international lawyers to take action, but it probably wasn't worth the cost

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Dragon Ball Super has now gone down in history as the only anime where people gathered in city centres to watch streamed episodes, why would Toei be angry about this :think:

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:57 pm Dragon Ball Super has now gone down in history as the only anime where people gathered in city centres to watch streamed episodes, why would Toei be angry about this :think:
It's not making them money.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:57 pmDragon Ball Super has now gone down in history as the only anime where people gathered in city centres to watch streamed episodes, why would Toei be angry about this :think:
Because it's illegal.

(That happened before Dragon Ball Super was officially launched overseas, I suppose?).
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:59 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:57 pm Dragon Ball Super has now gone down in history as the only anime where people gathered in city centres to watch streamed episodes, why would Toei be angry about this :think:
Correction: it's not making them ENOUGH money.

Say every single attendee paid for a ticket that the organizers gave a cut of to Toei from their total pull, there'd have been no comment. But because only a select few streamers did it for free for the good of their anime community instead, Toei got uppity.

And this has only paid further dividends by inspiring Sumitomo's chanting-infused Broly movie OST.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:03 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:51 pm They could send international lawyers to take action, but it probably wasn't worth the cost
It wouldn't matter. Latin America doesn't give a fuck about piracy.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:49 am

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 pm
It gave them publicity /shrug

Something like that was unprecedented, no one ever gathered in city centres to watch an anime episode, before DBS of course.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:30 pm

In most of Europe, is not that you cannot stream DBS, you cannot stream *anything*, you need a license to do any kind of multimedia entertainment for public use.
If you own a club, you pay a royalty fee to the national agency to have the right of airing music and multimedia. At that stage, you can only air shows/radio/music that are registered and willing for in the national registry.
That's my job actually (to check if people is compliant with reproduction/copy/ownership rights).
Some country cannot have enough cash to spare for such control activity, but this don't make the activity legal.

TOEI cannot pursue every infringement, as before doing that you have to *prove* the infringement, and that alone cost a lot of time. There's no "mommy" that point the finger and tell "hey, that kid is doing illegals!", you need for someone holding the rights and authority to spot you. In a word: there's no automation in rights claiming, someone have to do something, and most of time, if you don't have a government agency that do so in your name, no one claim.

Is TOEI losing money for that streaming? Probably not. Those willing to see the show for free will find any mean to do so, and those willing to pay will do it anyway. Is TOEI *happy* of that? Surely not. And that sometime explain why the industry is reluctant to produce costly shows, knowing that they're so easy to share illegally in some country.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:58 pmBecause it's illegal.

(That happened before Dragon Ball Super was officially launched overseas, I suppose?).
The public streaming was done when DBS was alredy streaming on Crunchyroll.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:53 pm

It would seem it was not, no.

I think it took some time for Dragon Ball Super to reach the streaming services after its original run ended. They seemingly watched simultaneously with the Japanese airing of the episode, going by the date of this post. It was unofficial, and therefore, illegal.

Another evidence of its illegality. As an irony of fate, Toei was indeed "angry" about those streamings (Sonia Villarreal was a mayor in Mexico at the time, as per my research).
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~