Funny or ignorant things you've heard a DB fan say?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is funny but dumb things you heard a Db fan say?

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Ocean dub voice wasn't all that good to be honest.
It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread but it's not that bad, certainly better than the Team Four Star voice and certainly a better performance.
A surprisingly large amount of people will say that Tenshinhan is stronger than Krillin, Freeza, the androids, Piccolo and Kaioshin.
I'll buy that he's stronger than Kuririn.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Well I can't sit through the Ocean dub so I definitely get more out of TFS....
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:42 pm

ABED wrote:
A surprisingly large amount of people will say that Tenshinhan is stronger than Krillin, Freeza, the androids, Piccolo and Kaioshin.
I'll buy that he's stronger than Kuririn.
Toryama has said that he's not.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 am

^
That reminds me... The constant Toriyama said this crap which is almost always like 99% of the time utterly fake. There is so much what I call fanon in the English dub fanbase such as Toriyama wanted the series to end with Freeza that people think is truth that is mind boggling...
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 am

DBZ Mick wrote:^
That reminds me... The constant Toriyama said this crap which is almost always like 99% of the time utterly fake. There is so much what I call fanon in the English dub fanbase such as Toriyama wanted the series to end with Freeza that people think is truth that is mind boggling...
No Toriyama actually said Krillin is stronger if I recall.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 am

Not talking about that specific question or whatnot. I'm just using the Toriyama said that kinda response as an issue of mine.
:P
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 am

DBZ Mick wrote:^
I get what you're saying, but this one is real. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ma-nozawa/. The Krillin quote is about a quarter of the way down the page.
Edit: Sorry, missed your comment above :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:22 am

DBZ Mick wrote:Not talking about that specific question or whatnot. I'm just using the Toriyama said that kinda response as an issue of mine.
:P
Yeah, the most infamous one I can think of is Gohan is the strongest non-fused character by the end of Z. While I may abide by that myself at this point, he certainly said nothing of the sort.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:54 am

Even thought it's Toriyama saying that, the only way I can fathom that is if the power boost from the Grand Elder opened up such a wide gap that Tenshinhan was never able to close, even though Tenshinhan trained with Kaio-sama for quite a while.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:59 am

I remember watching this guy on YT who mentioned in his video that he came across some guy who said that DBK was DBZ rewritten to fit in with DBE.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm

Makaioshin wrote:Stuff about Kanzenshuu being an elitist forum.
But then again I'm posting that in this thread. It still annoys me though.
Why? This place is every bit an elitist forum.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Elitist about what?

And is it the forum itself (you know, an inanimate digital object composed of programming), or the administration team that runs it? Or the people who post here? And is there an actual group/trend you can point to that defines said "majority", because from my stats, the "majority" are people from outside North America, and I somehow doubt that's what people are thinking.

Running around saying "Blah blah blah elitist" just strikes me as, "I read something I don't like so nyah", and that's hysterical to me.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Vice wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:Stuff about Kanzenshuu being an elitist forum.
But then again I'm posting that in this thread. It still annoys me though.
Why? This place is every bit an elitist forum.
Why and how?
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Elitist about what?
About Dragon Ball, obviously.
And is it the forum itself (you know, an inanimate digital object composed of programming), or the administration team that runs it? Or the people who post here? And is there an actual group/trend you can point to that defines said "majority", because from my stats, the "majority" are people from outside North America, and I somehow doubt that's what people are thinking.
This is cute, but you know exactly what I'm talking about. And there's really no sense in getting angry about me saying that because it's one of the reasons I registered here in the first place. I mean, I considered myself an avid fan, but even some of the thoughts I see posted around here has me rolling my eyes. Seriously, you run around correcting everyone's grammatical and spelling mistakes, that just screams being overly anal to me.

Again, no need to have your feathers ruffled about it, a spade is a spade. I'm not excluding myself from this though.
Running around saying "Blah blah blah elitist" just strikes me as, "I read something I don't like so nyah", and that's hysterical to me.
Irony.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm not angry about at all, and I have no idea what you're trying to point out is ironic. I'm trying to figure out what you're getting at. What's the supposed elitism? You're mentioning the grammar-correction, and... I... guess...? Yes, that's a thing we do. Yes, that's a thing only a few other communities do.

Since that's all I have to go on, maybe this is it:

Do I think we have a better place here because we require people -- overall, and obviously not in every single tiny last though that is ever made -- to type correctly so they can get their thoughts across as best as possible to a hugely international community of fellow fans?

Yep! If that makes me (and everyone else who joins and agrees) "elitist", then brand us with a red "E".
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:39 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
The manga isn't canon.
That person must be a troll. When it comes to anime/manga, the manga is view as canon since it's the original source material and it came out first. I think the only anime series that I know of that the manga is not canon to it's franchise is Tenchi Muyo! and Evangelion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:42 pm

I wouldn't jump to the "troll" conclusion right off the bat.

They might be completely uneducated on the subject and have jumped to a bunch of conclusions and then just gotten defensive and doubled-down on their viewpoints after being challenged on it.

I have absolutely no idea who the person is, so I can't really make that judgement call, but it's a possibility.

Also, insert obligatory "there is no canon" statement here :).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
The manga isn't canon.
That person must be a troll. When it comes to anime/manga, the manga is view as canon since it's the original source material and it came out first. I think the only anime series that I know of that the manga is not canon to it's franchise is Tenchi Muyo! and Evangelion.
There are people that believe that the canon form of a series is its final form, not its original. So, in Dragon Ball's case, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Z (ep. 200-291), and Dragon Ball GT, along with the movies & specials that fit & the guidebooks, would be the canon materials of the series. IF someone goes by that type of thinking.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 pm

One of my friends said they were going to Kai-afy the Broly movie. :crazy:

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm

"The manga is just a rough draft, the anime is the true product"

"Dragon Ball is a prequel to Dragon Ball Z made after GT"

"DBZ isn't an anime, it's a cartoon"

"Krillin/Yamcha/Raditz is so weak"

"Krillin dies in every saga"

"Dragon Ball GT is the American version of Dragon Ball Z"