Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
Oh? Toriyama had the same problem too at times, but did some of you guys didn't get on his case about that?! This isn't me defending Yamamuro, it's just common sense.
I have no problem saying Toriyama's occasional pieces of art are not very good. I'm just not complaining about it in a thread about a movie he isn't drawing.
Oh, so what? If some of his drawings are inconsistent, then they are, and you people should point that out too, if they wanna jump on whoever did a face wrong. I understand that there should be criticism, but jesus christ, why in the hell are you guys breathing down on Yammamuro's neck just because of ONE. SIMPLE. MISDRAWING on a character's face? Everybody makes mistakes.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:09 pm

The trailer really didn't excite me. The fact that Frieza's revived in his first form is terrible. There's literally no point in that. Why there's even a need for all these fodder henchmen I've no idea. Any of the Z fighters should be capable of wrecking them by simply powering up at this point.

The only enticing part was seeing that Goku and Vegeta are training (at least I would think that's what they're doing) with Whis.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:12 pm

That really wasn't a trailer anyway, that was just some scenes used and reused from the future trailer.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm not upset. I don't like Yamamuro's art, but it was kind of expected he'd be the one behind this so I'm not surprised and so not upset.

If anything, I feel like there's not nearly enough plot-information given via the trailer. It's practically all action sequences.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:13 pm

The art/animation's about what I expected. Which is unfortunate, but I can get over it.

Love Gohan's design. I am annoyed by him being Super Saiyan again, but at this point it may be better to just come up with an explanation for why he's using SSj instead of Ultimate.

I'd rather Goten and Trunks be nowhere in the film than to see them look the same as they did in the Buu arc despite time continuing to pass.

Great to see Kame-sennin seeing some action. Frankly I don't care that a handful of the protagonists could wipe the entire army out with one attack; seeing the minor characters getting in on the action is its own reward. That said, it's kind of jarring to see the same 3 or so minion designs copy-pasta'd around.

Not at all digging that Freeza has needlessly regressed to his suppressed form. What purpose does that serve?

As for Krillin's hair, maybe he wanted to start training again after Battle of Gods?

Based on Piccolo's line, I'm assuming this isn't some alternate reality thing. I don't see much reason for believing that it is, and I really hope it isn't the case.

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I have no problem admitting that I'm not near as picky about animation as a lot of people are - so long as things at least look serviceable, I'm generally pretty happy. That said, my priorities of 'serviceable' also vary greatly from what others are looking for. Since Naruto animation has been brought up a few times, count me amongst those that can not stand how a particularly infamous episode of the Naruto V.S. Pain fight looks. I don't care how fluid it looks, if it loses it's ability to look like the characters in the process, then no amount of fluidity is worth it. I have similar problems with a particular episode of Samurai 7.

Irregardless, I'll repeat - I don't see anything in this teaser that seems worth getting up in arms over, but again, that's just me.
Agree with every single word. I think some people from this forum will start to cry and pull some hair off if they watch that Naruto fight. Sorry if I made some mistake, english is not my main language.
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Think pulling in minions for the rest of the cast to fight is to partly make up for those "everyone vs Beerus" scenes that got left on the cutting room floor back in BOG.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I have no problem admitting that I'm not near as picky about animation as a lot of people are - so long as things at least look serviceable, I'm generally pretty happy. That said, my priorities of 'serviceable' also vary greatly from what others are looking for. Since Naruto animation has been brought up a few times, count me amongst those that can not stand how a particularly infamous episode of the Naruto V.S. Pain fight looks. I don't care how fluid it looks, if it loses it's ability to look like the characters in the process, then no amount of fluidity is worth it. I have similar problems with a particular episode of Samurai 7.

Irregardless, I'll repeat - I don't see anything in this teaser that seems worth getting up in arms over, but again, that's just me.
Those shots were never trying to be on-model, though. Yamashita Shingo did the first seven-ish minutes of Episode #167 using three different art styles to depict the emotion and chaos of the story. When Matsumoto Norio took over for the last half of the episode (everything from the first shot of Nagato to the end of the episode) he drew a bit more on-model but as the tone of the episode shifted from raw emotion and chaos to heavy, sinking drama. The problem with Yamamuro Tadayoshi's works is that the characters are never off-model intentionally. Shida Naotoshi's shot of Super Saiyan 3 Son Gokuu charging that Kamehame-Ha in One Piece Episode #590 is perhaps the one time somebody was allowed to draw off-model to depict the intensity of the character.

Off-model is not 'bad animation'. 'Bad animation' is poor timing, poorly drawn characters, and simplistic use of the camera.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:17 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I understand that there should be criticism, but jesus christ, why in the hell are you guys breathing down on Yammamuro's neck just because of ONE. SIMPLE. MISDRAWING on a character's face? Everybody makes mistakes.
One simple misdrawing on a face? No, everything is drawn poorly. Porportions are weird, faces are off and shading sucks. They're not just careless mistakes. They are all caused by his skills.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Chuquita wrote:Think pulling in minions for the rest of the cast to fight is to partly make up for those "everyone vs Beerus" scenes that got left on the cutting room floor back in BOG.
I've been thinking the same thing. It sounded like Toriyama really wanted there to be a scene like that, and since he didn't get to have it in Battle of Gods, he may have made sure there was room for it in this one.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Oh shit, Gohan turns Super Saiyan. *Predicts another storm of endless debatw on the matter*
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:19 pm

It's not one mistake, but the countless mistakes Yamamuro has made as an animation supervisor past a few projects. Naoki Tate and Naotoshi Shida both have grown and improved after Dragon Ball GT ended, but Tadayoshi Yamamuro has not. He has gone opposite direction, which is why we are critical of his animation work. We feel like his talents are being wasted on it when he used to be one of excellent animation supervisors. There's no excuse for him, really.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote:

Those shots were never trying to be on-model, though. Yamashita Shingo did the first seven-ish minutes of Episode #167 using three different art styles to depict the emotion and chaos of the story. When Matsumoto Norio took over for the last half of the episode (everything from the first shot of Nagato to the end of the episode) he drew a bit more on-model but as the tone of the episode shifted from raw emotion and chaos to heavy, sinking drama. The problem with Yamamuro Tadayoshi's works is that the characters are never off-model intentionally. Shida Naotoshi's shot of Super Saiyan 3 Son Gokuu charging that Kamehame-Ha in One Piece Episode #590 is perhaps the one time somebody was allowed to draw off-model to depict the intensity of the character.

Off-model is not 'bad animation'. 'Bad animation' is poor timing, poorly drawn characters, and simplistic use of the camera.

Yeah simplistic use of the camera is my biggest gripe that I've seen so far, which let's be fair wasn't much.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Those shots were never trying to be on-model, though. ... Off-model is not 'bad animation'. 'Bad animation' is poor timing, poorly drawn characters, and simplistic use of the camera.
Like I said, this is just an area where we're looking for different things I think. If anything, the fact that they were never intended to look on model makes it even worse to me. A character needs to still look like the character in motion or in a still - if it gets to the point where there's no longer any resemblance at all, then you've gone too far. Again, this is just my feelings on it though - I've seen plenty of people who do like that sort of thing. But I've also seen a lot of people who can't stand that sort of thing, such as myself.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:24 pm

EXBadguy wrote: Oh, so what? If some of his drawings are inconsistent, then they are, and you people should point that out too, if they wanna jump on whoever did a face wrong. I understand that there should be criticism, but jesus christ, why in the hell are you guys breathing down on Yammamuro's neck just because of ONE. SIMPLE. MISDRAWING on a character's face? Everybody makes mistakes.
Toriyama has his ups and downs while Yamamuro has been consistently average at best, at least that's my opinion.

Also it's been mentioned before but really, with the success of BoG we as fans should expect better and I don't think that's being entitled or anything. This is a DB animated movie after all with (I assume) to be a movie sized budget so this should be the time when things look better than usual and aren't just "acceptable" or "serviceable" as others have remarked.
Last edited by NitroEX on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:26 pm

I did like the Vegeta on his F poster, for what it's worth. He did something with Vegeta there that he didn't do with Gokû and it just worked better, imo.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Blade wrote:Oh shit, Gohan turns Super Saiyan. *Predicts another storm of endless debatw on the matter*
Thought the same thing when I seen that! :lol: I loved seeing Master Roshi doing the Kamehameha! 8)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah, the art isn't great (especially compared to his 'golden age' work for the show). I'm still excited though. Battle of Gods wasn't great looking bar one scene and that was still thoroughly entertaining.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the explicitly anti-Yamamuro fans in this thread (in particular, JulieYBM and Kei17) regarding this shot:

I'm totally with you guys on the whole but I'm struggling to find something I actively dislike about this besides his nose and slightly wide face.

This isn't a challenge at all, I'm just genuinely curious as to whether there's anything I'm not picking up on.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Gee, for someone who proclaimed "we'll probably never meet again" at the end of the Cell arc, Tenshinhan sure seems to like continuing to make appearances :lol: Wonder if Chaozu will be shown at all this time, or if he'll just stay back on the farm :P But it's a nice surprise that Kame Sennin is shown getting in on the action! We already know that Kuririn is active in this movie, but what about Yamcha? Or even...Yajirobe? Since some of the humans are shown doing stuff, wouldn't it be nice if all of them got to play some role?

Disappointed that the teaser doesn't give us a full view of Vegeta's outfit yet, but I'm sure we'll see it soon enough as promotional materials continue to come out. Already planning to buy a figure of it, if one is available (I finally got the silly face Vegeta from BOG earlier this year, so will try to be more on top of it this time!)

As usual, I can't really have any negative feelings at this point, I'm just feeling the HYPE! :D But I tend to be more forgiving than most...I was willing to give Dragon Ball: Evolution the benefit of the doubt for quite a long time, until there was just too much evidence mounted against it to show that, indeed, it was going to be shit.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:39 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Yeah, the art isn't great (especially compared to his 'golden age' work for the show). I'm still excited though. Battle of Gods wasn't great looking bar one scene and that was still thoroughly entertaining.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the explicitly anti-Yamamuro fans in this thread (in particular, JulieYBM and Kei17) regarding this shot:

I'm totally with you guys on the whole but I'm struggling to find something I actively dislike about this besides his nose and slightly wide face.

This isn't a challenge at all, I'm just genuinely curious as to whether there's anything I'm not picking up on.
Is it just me, or is that not worlds away from this?

'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.