If Toriyama were to die...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

If Toriyama were to die...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:24 am

Would Dragonball become public domain? Making it ok to officially make a Dragonball AF series and thus freezing Hell? or would Toei have the right's to the series?

I ask this cause Classic Mickey Mouse (white face, big black Pac-Man for eye's) became public domain because Walt Disney had that copywrite and can't renew it being he is dead. The Walt Disney Company however has the right's to the modern Mickey Mouse, so you can't use that.... or is to my understanding. Many people also dont know that some Bugs Bunny cartoons are in public domain and you can use those particullar ones legally to sell on DVD or whatever. Case in point...
http://www.toonzone.net/brian/video/dvd/cc-2.html

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:51 pm

When you die and have something copyrighted, it's still under your ownership for 7 years after your death in case you want to pass it on to a loved one or associate. So in Toriyama-sensei's case, I'm not sure who he'd give it to... can you imagine if he gave it to Oda? Interesting question, Tanooki!

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:47 pm

Yahoo! All we have to do is wait until the old guy kicks, is six feet under for seven years, and then we'll get our AF? I don't usually like 1337 speech, but I'll make an exception:

W00T!!!
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:02 am

johnboy1 wrote:Yahoo! All we have to do is wait until the old guy kicks, is six feet under for seven years, and then we'll get our AF?
Not likely. Osamu Tezuka's works are far from public domain, and he's been dead for a while. The rights to DB would probably become property of Toriyama's family, or perhaps (more likely) Shueisha. :?

(Although come to think of it, Tezuka being dead is the only reason Rintaro and Katsuhiro Otomo were able to make Metropolis into a movie [Tezuka would've vetoed it otherwise], so if someone in Japan with enough clout wants to do a new series...)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:12 am

(Although come to think of it, Tezuka being dead is the only reason Rintaro and Katsuhiro Otomo were able to make Metropolis into a movie [Tezuka would've vetoed it otherwise], so if someone in Japan with enough clout wants to do a new series...)
Yea, actually that what happened with "The Peanuts" when Charles Shultzs died, all new holiday specials and stuff where made.

Also if a new DB series was made, would you concider it to be real ( you know, like how some people don't concider GT at all because it's Toriyama-less)

I don't think I would really enjoy it, but I would actually love to see different Manga\Anime artist's retelling of the stories, under there direction or there different look on the characters.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:49 am

I wouldn't pay any attention to it, just like GT. I only pay attention the stuff made by Kami-Sama, AKA Toriyama-Sama!!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

tommybdbz

Post by tommybdbz » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:09 pm

akira toriyama creates the best show in the world and all u want him 2 die so there can be a new series. nice to know he's appreciated
Tommy B, that is me

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:43 pm

tommybdbz wrote:akira toriyama creates the best show in the world and all u want him 2 die so there can be a new series. nice to know he's appreciated
Toriyama didn't create the show. :P He created the manga. TOEI animated the stuff into a 'show'. The show, as it stands, is most definitely not the best show in the world! And I seriously doubt anyone here wants him to die...

If they did, they would've gotten onto it already!
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:56 pm

I don't want him to die. I want him to write a new oneshot...

(Oh, and that's not the greatest first impression I've ever seen, ya know? :P)

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:58 pm

I imagine the bg of Daizenshuu Ex would turn to black if Toriyama-sama ever died. Also, people would probably wear black Goku-style wrist bands.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:43 pm

Zackarotto wrote:I don't want him to die. I want him to write a new oneshot...

(Oh, and that's not the greatest first impression I've ever seen, ya know? :P)
Yes! Yes! More one-shots! Neko Majin Z needs to exploit more of DB! Oh, and of course he needs to come up with more single tankoubon stories! I really love Kajika, Sandland and Cowa!!

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:02 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Yes! Yes! More one-shots! Neko Majin Z needs to exploit more of DB! Oh, and of course he needs to come up with more single tankoubon stories! I really love Kajika, Sandland and Cowa!!
I'm actually suprised that Toei didn't consider turning Sand Land into a series or film. It would be neat to see a Neko Majin Z short film with a Sand Land full length feature.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:28 pm

I've always thought that Sand Land's pacing cried out for it to be made into a film. It works great if you sit and read it in a single sitting. So much so, that I found it too boring when Shonen Jump but it out a one chapter per month, it just broke the pacing down to total crap.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:30 am

I'd love to see another Neko Majin Z oneshot :D Or have the few chapters he did draw, animated.

As for another series being made if Toriyama suddenly died...it all depends on what the series would be about. The two most basic things it would have to include for me to watch would be Vegeta in his dbz form (no mustache/bad haircut) and an adult Goku.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

tommybdbz

Post by tommybdbz » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:47 am

Just because toriyama made the manga and not the show, doesn't mean he wasn't responsible for the show being made. because without him there wouldn't be this forum
Tommy B, that is me

Tjalian

Post by Tjalian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:18 pm

Just a little thought:

If he dies without a will, all of his possessions(including the liscences) will be split equally between his closest family members, usually his kids(if he has any).

Either that or the President Of TOEI Animation or the biggest shareholder of the franchises could make a claim for it in court.

Thats, IF he doesn't die without a will.

However, the mere thought of a great man like this dying is sad, and the reactions that basically say great can't wait for him to die if DB series becomes public domain makes me sick, you should be ashamed.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:04 am

Who would draw all of those kick-ass monsters and character designs for the Dragon Quest games...? WHO?!
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:28 am

Mattias wrote:Who would draw all of those kick-ass monsters and character designs for the Dragon Quest games...? WHO?!
Oda?

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:19 pm

Who...?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:48 pm

Mattias wrote:Who...?
One Piece creator Eiichirô Oda, whose manga has been the most popular shônen series in Japan for at least 5 years running. :)

By the way, if you've seen One Piece on Fox, you haven't really seen it, since a) the initial episodes kinda suck, and b) it's got some pretty ridiculous censorship (cap guns? supersoakers? gimme a break!). I definitely suggest picking up the comics (even if Viz does change the spelling of Zoro's name).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。