New Dragon Ball Fan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tempester

New Dragon Ball Fan

Post by Tempester » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Hello one and all, my name is Jack.

Now just the other day I was out at my local bookstore (well I say out, I was abandoned). So there I was wandering about the dusty shelves when I saw Dragon Ball Volume 1. I'm not really a manga kind of guy, I prefer to watch anime and see something come alive. But I had time to kill and thought why not have a harmless read.

By Chapter 3 I couldn't put it down. The characters and plot were so appealing that I just had to find out what happened next. My favourite so far had to be Goku, everything about him makes me smile. One thing that stood out to me was the humour, there were times when I cracked a smile and had to hold back the laughs for fear of people staring at me. And then just as I was about to start the next chapter, BANG, parent comes back and it looks like I 'll never get the chance to finish it. But the series caught my intrest and so today I purchased Volumes 1 and 2 (Sayonara Cinema).

I've been aware of Dragon Ball, I've seen the games on the shelf and noticed the DVD's on amazon but this is my first full exposure to it. And what can I say? I bloody love it and if the 5 star ratings on amazon are anything to go by then this series is going to get a whole lot better. I'm planning to read the rest of Volume 1 as a midnight read and might start Volume 2 if I'm not too tired.

So just a question:

Is this the best decision I've made in my life? Am I about to be thrilled, scared, crying, laughing? And what is the basic information about this series? Anything important (nothing spoilerish) that I should know?

Rory
I Live Here

Re: New Dragon Ball Fan

Post by Rory » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Welcome to the site, and the fandom. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Dragon Ball is a great series, with lovable characters, and a helluva' fanbase (however divided it may be).
I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Millions of other people are also enjoying this series so... yes, of course you made a great decision.
I certainly never regretted becoming fan of the series. :D

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Yo, hello! I don't want to spoil anything nor say you that you will be thrilled etc. but the best decision you made was to start from first volume. Read it till the end and you will see yourself))

For anime, art isn't in that constant quality like in manga and you must be aware, that this series is from 80's so you won't see computer smoothly animated anime but classic oldschool cel animated piece.
But I can say for myself that you won't regret it. I must recommend you to watch Japanese original version with great subtitles from Mr. Simons, which is most fun + with great atmospheric soundtrack from Shunsuke Kikuchi and nonethless great voice acting from Japanese cast.
Last edited by MCDaveG on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

You're especially lucky that you started with Dragonball. Many fans end up starting on Dragonball Z and don't exactly know what's going on because they jumped into the middle of the story. You're starting at the beginning so it'll be really fun for you!

Dragonball and Dragonball Z have a little bit of everything... except romance. Toriyama apparently avoided that (and I don't mind). I won't spoil it for you, though. Just keep reading and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, and Dragonball Vol. 3 is a really fun one for me. I hope you like it, too.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

mysticgoten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mysticgoten » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Wow, you just started the series and found Daizenshuu EX?
"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter. Who makes stairs."
-MysticGoten

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm aware of Daizex through their youtube channel and came here.

Have finished all the Kame Sennin stuff in the manga. That man makes me laugh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Welcome to Daizex! :3 DB's a really fun series.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:13 pm

I (and millions of other fans) have nothing bad to say about Dragon Ball(Z/GT). It's one of the most fun, self-aware cheese fests you'll ever find. It's not perfect, but if you actually let that bother you at any point, you're taking it too seriously.

Also, I love that despite how irreverent the series is, the characters still grow and age. That's a huge part of the draw, I think.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Ahh you're so lucky :). I recommend you look back through the Daizex podcasts and read along with the manga review of awesomeness episodes, you'll learn many things about the plot and characters without anything being spoiled for you!
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Glad to see you join the fold. It's a fun, crazy, silly ride through Dragon Ball, and I hope you stick with it. Just tread lightly around these here parts, though, as there are bound to be spoilers all over the place (25 year old series... nobody really bothers hiding information at this point). :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Welcome to the Dragon World Tempester. Hopefully, you'll read 519 Chapters and watch 508 episodes with 22 Features throughout this sries. Sit back and enjoy the story of the Legend of Goku told. :D :) :)
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Welcome.

Get out while you still can!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Welcome to the world of Dragon Ball!

Please leave your wallet at the door. :P

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Tempester wrote:Anything important (nothing spoilerish) that I should know?[/b]
It's worth knowing that "Dragon Ball Z" is not the "sequel" to "Dragonball", or whatever you'll see it explained as online. DBZ was originally the name given to the anime adaptation of manga chapters 195 and up, but in English-speaking countries, and English-speaking countries only, manga volume 17-42 were named "Dragon Ball Z volume 1-26 to avoid confusing all the kids who grew up with nothing but the "Dragon Ball Z" anime.

But yeah, they're not "different series", and the story flows directly between the two. What you'll find named "Dragon Ball Z vol 1" is really "Dragon Ball vol 17".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Big Boss wrote:Welcome to the world of Dragon Ball!

Please leave your wallet at the door. :P
That's what I did in pub year ago, drunk as monkey. Three bus drivers denied me to board into the bus, so I slept on street car terminus.
I don't recommend this.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I think you're really lucky to be reading it from the start without knowing much about it. My only advice is to be careful around this forum, because you could very easily run into spoilers for the whole story. You'll probably get much more out of it if you don't know what's going to happen next.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Welcome to the world of DB, and better late then never. Also if you are going to start with the anime then check out the blue bricks of DB then go with Dbkai afterwards in my opinon. The movies are not canon, and don't worry about those for now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ka1oken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ka1oken » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:48 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Welcome to the world of DB, and better late then never. Also if you are going to start with the anime then check out the blue bricks of DB then go with Dbkai afterwards in my opinon. The movies are not canon, and don't worry about those for now.
Why would he watch Kai when only half of it has aired so far...

Would make a lot more sense to watch Z unless he wants to watch a episode a week.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 am

There is one good thing about the movies: they introduce new music. Every time I hear a song from movie one, two, or three, I remember the scene it's used for in the movie.

Watching one new episode a week would is fun. I'd do it for Kai, but I refuse to watch crappy fansubs.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."