Kai Episode 81 (14 November 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 81 (14 November 2010)

Post by RazorX » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:54 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 81. Originally broadcast 14 November 2010.

ベジータ全力の一撃!しかし高まるセルの恐怖
Bejīta Zenryoku no Ichigeki! Shikashi Takamaru Seru no Kyōfu
Vegeta's Full Power Strike! But the Terror of Cell Grows and Grows

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 81 (14th November 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:33 pm

This week, on Dragon Ball Kai...!! Super Vegeta's fury erupts! With a Final Flash, Vegeta plans to defeat the completed Cell. Of course that doesn't work out, so Cell knocks him out (Part A of the episode actually ends with the ending of #162).

Dragon Ball covered: Begins with #384, ends with #386.
Dragon Ball Z covered: Begins 5.5 minutes into #162, ends with #163.

Next week, Trunks and Cell continue to duke it out!! I only saw animation from #164 in the preview, though. Maeda did #164, which was primarily a filler flashback episode. #165 (the final episode of Trunks v. Cell) is an Uchiyama episode. I hope #82 covers both of 'em. >_<
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Uh, was it on this week? I tuned into Fuji TV and it was some variety show type thing.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:34 pm

It's 4 Pacific now, Daylight Saving Time and all...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Ah, right. Daylight saving's time.

It's a real bitch. :lol:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:40 am

A hell of an awesome episode, it was like watching a freaking High Budget movie, Amazing Choice of music for every scene, Kai is amazing!

It's a cancer waiting for another one next week :oops:

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 am

I think we had a new piece of music for the Final Flash scene, very sexy.

I expect next episode to end with Tranks realising he's too sloooooooooow and Cell announcing the tournament.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:23 am

Wooo best episode! Final Flash and Ussj transformation. I kinda dislike how off and tired Horikawa sounds during his screaming scenes. I prefer Sabat in Kai for beastly roars. But the sad music during Vegeta's defeat was awesome. I hope they won't keep the endless flashback filler next episode. BORING. Get to the fight.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:42 am

For anyone who's curious about the next episode's title, since Kanzentai hasn't uploaded a title yet (EDIT: On their homepage, when I had made this post - This foolish gun-jumper found out it was on their Cell arc page about an hour afterwards and just didn't edit), here's my own personal translation, not that it really matters.

"Super Power Kakusei! Vegeta (Chichiue/Tou) wo Koeta Trunks!"

Or "Super Power Awakened! Trunks, He Who Overcame His Father, Vegeta!"

Onto the episode... Just watched the first half now, and I loved the music, so far. Indeed, Vegeta does sound a little off with the power up for the Final Flash (but if you wanna try and excuse him, and ignore the fact that he is doing stuff from over 10 years ago, with the extra age), and Cell does have a few off moments doing the patented Nozawa "Kkh-kk-kk" thing that seems so popular on the Japanese side and such, but generally, I really liked how this went. The music really heightened everyone's acting as well as the tension. I particularly love the music when Vegeta is defeated, when it's at its triumphant flare. It really fits as an ironic twist, when the heroes are actually getting their backsides handed to them.

As it happens, I finally got to hear the term "Tondemonai Super Saiya-jin". And I never really knew how to translate without it sounding weird, until now... Perhaps instead of like "Outrageous Super Saiyan" and those that have gone around "Over-The-Top Super Saiyan" would be more appropriate, since not only is it something synonymous with "outrageous", but it has that extra pun of going over the top and going over the limits of Super Saiyan (as well as over-the-top muscle expansion).
Last edited by Ashy-kun on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:08 am

It seems like we are still on track for finishing the Cell arc at episode 100.

According to Kanzentai we still have 30 episodes of 'z' to go through.
Considering one episode of Kai is about two episodes of 'z', I'd say we are doing all right.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 pm

I remember Trunks' long power-up scene in DBZ. So glad I didn't have to endure it again in Kai. :)
Last edited by Son Wukong on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Now hey, Kanzentai had #82's title up for days! It was just on the Cell arc page. :p
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

T Pac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by T Pac » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 am

I liked that they left some of the RoSaT filler in there. A nice bit of levity which was lacking in the manga. I don't like that they left in the beginning of the Trunks vs. Cell fight. I guess they wanted to end the episode at a certain point.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzV34hz8SE

^ Beast to say the least.

Well Krillin sure had a lot of truthfull words this episode. The choir at the beginning was really awesome, it's rare.

Ahhhh Perfect Cell's first faceplant...good times. :mrgreen:

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

T Pac wrote: I don't like that they left in the beginning of the Trunks vs. Cell fight.
That brief scuffle while Trunks was leading Cell away from Vegeta was also in the manga. It was just ever so slightly extended.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:59 pm

I thought Horikawa's delivery of Final Flash was better here, never liked the "Fine-nul-FLAashess!!" from the Z version.

Kai has trimmed down the Trunks and Cell stuff nicely, that was another tedious bunch of episodes that I'm glad to see condensed.

T Pac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by T Pac » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:20 pm

dan2026 wrote:
T Pac wrote: I don't like that they left in the beginning of the Trunks vs. Cell fight.
That brief scuffle while Trunks was leading Cell away from Vegeta was also in the manga. It was just ever so slightly extended.
It wasn't extended -- the part about Trunks leading Cell away from Vegeta was left completely in tact from Z, which was faithfully animated from the manga. The (awful) filler was the fighting immediately prior to that, where Trunks gives Cell a fight before bulking up, which is not only completely unnecessary, but also inconsistent with the story.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:01 am

JulieYBM wrote:I hope #82 covers both of 'em. >_<
I think #82 will be the whole Cell vs Trunks fight.
In the preview we see Goku going mega-roid rage, which happens at the end of the fight when he explains to Gohan why huuuuge muscles might not be a good idea.

Now I think of it, is worrying that dumbass Goku outsmarted Trunks.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 am

In Z, Cell said "Shimatta!" when he was about to be hit by the Final Flash, but in Kai, he said "Shima...".

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:29 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:In Z, Cell said "Shimatta!" when he was about to be hit by the Final Flash, but in Kai, he said "Shima...".
He always got cut off half way, at least in the manga.
Haven't seen 'z' in a long time, maybe they did it wrong.