Path of Power style

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Path of Power style

Post by coola » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 am

Do you think,that Kai would be much bigger success,if they made it in Path of Power style? I'm talking about design.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Path of Power style

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:08 am

Even though my avatar is in that style, I can't say I'm a fan of it. In fact, I really don't like it at all. I guess I'm a masochist that way. :P

But, no, I'm glad they didn't.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:32 pm

You mean animation from 1996? No, not really.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm

I like the Path to Power style, but I think a Z-Era re-animation would look better in the style of the Budokai 3 opening.

They're similar but the differences are easier to see in motion. Look it up on YouTube if you haven't seen it in awhile.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Kendamu wrote:I like the Path to Power style, but I think a Z-Era re-animation would look better in the style of the Budokai 3 opening.
I hadn't even really thought of that. For sure, that would be my ideal reanimation style too. It's a nice balance of old and new.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I always find it absolutely shocking to find that some people aren't fans of "Path to Power." While it takes mainly from GT's better animation style, it's still able to portray the earlier DB stuff in an appealing way... dunno how to word it really, but yeah, I definitely woulda loved something along those lines for Kai.

I remember a while back people talking about fan response to a a movie sequel series spinning off from "Path to Power." Would have SO loved that if it were true. Dragon Ball in general deserved more than the MS Paint style refreshment that Kai got :/.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 am

Thank you for replies,it really sucks that Toei didnt do Kai in Budokai 3/Path of Power/Jump Special style,and we probably wont get new series or remake :cry:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:01 pm

coola wrote:Thank you for replies,it really sucks that Toei didnt do Kai in Budokai 3/Path of Power/Jump Special style,and we probably wont get new series or remake :cry:
We might in like...20,30 years if Dragon Ball stays idle. It happened with Dr.Slump and Astro Boy (twice for that show in fact.).

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:52 pm

I wouldn't mind the animation staying as-is, but I'd like it SO much more if it were tweaked. It really shows its age, and you can't try to sell it like a brand new anime if it looks 20 years old. Like when you compare it to other animes, it looks way off. I would like it a lot more had it been touched up. There are times where Kai's animation looks absolutely gorgeous. But most of the times, it doesn't. I can't explain it exactly, but there are times where the lines are too thick and not connected with some dots in them and whatnot, and it just makes it look really, really old. I know, terrible explanation, but that's what I find wrong with it really. If they at least redrew the scenes where the faces looked extremely awkward and off-model, or redrew the effects of such things as the Genki Dama (a blue ball with a bunch of lines around it? Could have done better), etc.