DBZ Movie 8: a "false" attempt at Super Saiyan God?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ Movie 8: a "false" attempt at Super Saiyan God?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm not sure the combined energy needs to get amplified. In the case that we're dealing with Saiyans, which is pretty much the standard, they don't need to even come close to matching the characters full power. The Super Saiyan forms are multipliers. Just restoring Goku's base and then increasing it a little would give him a tremendous boost afterwards with the transformation.

For example, say Goku and the other hero Saiyans started the battle in Movie 8 with a hypothetical max base form power of 10 million. As the fight dragged on, all of them were beaten down to about 30% of their power. If almost all of that power was sent to Goku, even ignoring Piccolo and his much larger base power for right now, that already totals up to 12 million. Tat's a pretty decent increase at Super Saiyan. This continues with the others as well, even using GT logic where if you actually agree that base Goku may be leagues ahead of everyone else's transformed states, they only need to channel their ki into his base pool and let his transformations do most of the work.
But the Super Saiyan forms are not real multipliers according to guidebooks, the draw out dormant power that is 50 times greater than their base (100 times greater for SS2, etc). They are not techniques that are stated to amplify the user's power like the Kamehameha, Kaio-ken, or Fusion.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:18 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:But the Super Saiyan forms are not real multipliers according to guidebooks, the draw out dormant power that is 50 times greater than their base (100 times greater for SS2, etc). They are not techniques that are stated to amplify the user's power like the Kamehameha, Kaio-ken, or Fusion.
Of course they aren't amplification techniques like the ones you mentioned, the Super Saiyan forms are, of course, transformations. After browsing back through the guidebooks though, pretty much none of them have that sort of phrasing. The various entries on the various forms either don't specify anything and only mention "increasing power" or "drawing out hidden potential" in the generalist sense, which they do, or they just tell you how much of a boost the form grants. The former usually happens when a multiplier hasn't been given to a specific transformation yet.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:23 pm

It's easy to notice the general "borrowing power from other people is HIGHLY effective" trend in other works up to now. It always comes across as much more than simply adding everyone's power together. The method of producing Super Saiyan God just seems to be the latest and greatest example of the concept.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:If I recall correctly, they did this a few times in GT as well, with the other Saiyans making SSJ4 Goku a lot stronger, when their powers should have been negligible compared to his.
Don't forget the Saiyans also lent Bebi Vegeta their power, allowing him to transform.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Regarding movie 8, I guess maybe their bodies were wrecked and too sore to move, but they still had loads of ki.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 am

The 'lets hold hands in a ring and power up to Super Saiyan around Goku' thing is a trope that became well and truly tired out in GT. The obsession with 'Saiyan energy' is something that the writers started with Baby and used again in GT every time Goku needed a strength boost. I wasn't surprised to see them bring it back for Battle of Gods, but I really rather that they hadn't - even if they were intentionally trying to add a little bit of continuity between 'Z' and 'GT'.

I think the lending of energy in Movie 8 is a little less obsessed with the 'Saiyan' part of the equation and more interested with Goku embodying the will and camaraderie of all of the fallen fighters, there's a "this is everyone's power channeled through me' sort of feel to it that lacks the Goku-centric theme of the rituals in Battle of Gods and GT, which have much more of a 'no-one else apart from Goku can do this' feel.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Reading Rainbow

Post by Reading Rainbow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:22 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Regarding movie 8, I guess maybe their bodies were wrecked and too sore to move, but they still had loads of ki.
I agree with this.

When they donate ki it adds onto Goku's base form, then with the SSJ multiplier he's able to overpower Broli. Without Vegeta's ki, Goku would not have won - this is the best way I can explain all that anyways...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:26 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:But the Super Saiyan forms are not real multipliers according to guidebooks, the draw out dormant power that is 50 times greater than their base (100 times greater for SS2, etc). They are not techniques that are stated to amplify the user's power like the Kamehameha, Kaio-ken, or Fusion.
Of course they aren't amplification techniques like the ones you mentioned, the Super Saiyan forms are, of course, transformations. After browsing back through the guidebooks though, pretty much none of them have that sort of phrasing. The various entries on the various forms either don't specify anything and only mention "increasing power" or "drawing out hidden potential" in the generalist sense, which they do, or they just tell you how much of a boost the form grants. The former usually happens when a multiplier hasn't been given to a specific transformation yet.
Well yeah, it's not worded like that, but if you combine all the statements, the result is what I said, isn't it?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:01 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Well yeah, it's not worded like that, but if you combine all the statements, the result is what I said, isn't it?
Yeah, if you combine everything, both new and old. If you look at them and replace all of the generalized, and usually outdated as of each new guidebook, statements about drawing out hidden power (to the limits) with the newest information we have about the forms, then that doesn't really seem to be the case. Not to me, at least.

I mean, you have statements like Super Saiyan 3 drawing a Saiyan's hidden potential out to their limit. That same statement was made about Super Saiyan 4 in the guides after it was introduced though...so what is the limit? Is a Saiyan's maximum potential always 400 times their base or whatever Super Saiyan 4's increase is? What about if Chozenshu #4 says that Super Saiyan God draws their potential out to the limit too?

In reality, all these sorts of statements mean is that the form increases their strength and/or was the strongest one we had at the time of printing and there wasn't any more specific information about it to be found...except some of them are not the strongest anymore and we know exactly how much most the important ones increases the character's power now. If the part about hidden potential absolutely needs to be retained in some way, then I'd say the forms themselves are that "hidden potential".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I mean, you have statements like Super Saiyan 3 drawing a Saiyan's hidden potential out to their limit. That same statement was made about Super Saiyan 4 in the guides after it was introduced though...so what is the limit? Is a Saiyan's maximum potential always 400 times their base or whatever Super Saiyan 4's increase is?
Well, since Goku's dormant power < Gohan's dormant power, and since SS3 is the limit while Ultimate is beyond the limit, and since we also have SS3 Goku < U. Gohan, but then we have SS4 as the limit, and SS4 Goku > U. Gohan, so I guess we have a new limit for SS4 that is beyond Ultimate.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Blade wrote:I think the lending of energy in Movie 8 is a little less obsessed with the 'Saiyan' part of the equation and more interested with Goku embodying the will and camaraderie of all of the fallen fighters, there's a "this is everyone's power channeled through me' sort of feel to it that lacks the Goku-centric theme of the rituals in Battle of Gods and GT, which have much more of a 'no-one else apart from Goku can do this' feel.
I'm with this, Goku was the target because Goku was the only one who could physically stand; it was a very utilitarian thing.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Piccolo being able to empower Goku enough to let him dispatch Slug in one blow, when Slug was previously kicking him around effortlessly, tells me that there's nothing more complicated at work here than "in the movies, donating energy = EXTREME POWER".
I agree to the principal, not to the example. Piccolo was never utterly spent in that movie, he actually had the energy to give; frankly Goku's entire fight with Slug was a 10 minute breather for the guy. Unlike Broly, where everyone's on their last leg, Goku just happens to be the only one who keeps getting up.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada