Why the Broly hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Why the Broly hate?

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:45 am

I see this forum really dislikes Broly for some reason... How come?
I find Broly an interesting character, not so much because of his personality, but i found his backstory in Movie 8 was pretty interesting.

We got to see the darker side of King Vegeta, we got some cool informations about Saiyan lore, and i like the Saiyan native costume (before Freeza took over).

Also it was amazing to see a Super Saiyan villain. We get to see throught the series that SSJ forms amplify rage and you need a lot of self control to not become a bloodlusted monster. But they never used that idea fully in the manga/anime, every character manages to regain composure, from SSJ Goku to even SSJ2 Gohan.

Broly, while a bit boring on the character development side, i felt made great use of this idea. Movie 8 allowed use to see a really bloodlusted Saiyan in action.

I also like a lot his fightning style, it's so brutal and based on wrestling techniques, really different from what we are used to see.

Broly Second Coming was a bit worse, but i still throught it was a decent movie.
And Bio-Broly... just sucks balls, but i guess since it was a clone of Broly that it doesn't count.

I feel like Broly is a genuinely interesting character and should be judged for HIS CHARACTER, NOT HIS FANS.
A lot of fans overhype and overpower him, but that's what happens when you get a cool character design AND a powerful one at that. It's the same thing with Itachi in Naruto.

I see fanboys saying Itachi could defeat Madara and i facepalm, i see fanboys saying Itachi could defeat Goku and i triple facepalm.

But that doesn't mean i hate Itachi, i just dislike his fanboys.
So i feel you should direct your hate to Brolytards and not the character itself.

Do you agree?
*puts flameshield on*
I'm ready.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Why the Broly hate?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:51 am

Broli is a character of Base Breaker portion.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 am

Well it's mostly that he's so overhyped, but really he is not that interesting, he has no personality other than "GRRR SMASH KILL", and his reason for hating Goku (his crying bothered him as a baby) is just lame. My opinion, of course.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:34 am

BROLI SMASH!

The brainless hulk of the franchise.

His first appearance is moderately enjoyable despite being fairly poorly written. Character motivation is pretty poor to say the least.

Honestly, I take more issue with the power-level loving fans of the character than anything else.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:41 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:BROLI SMASH!

His first appearance is moderately enjoyable despite being fairly poorly written. Character motivation is pretty poor to say the least.

Honestly, I take more issue with the power-level loving fans of the character than anything else.
Agreed. Also, Takao Koyama's overmuch love for his own creation turns me off.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 am

People don't like him because he's not an interesting character, he's just a bunch of muscle that TOEI kept bringing back again and again. Movie 8 was alright, but they really jumped the shark with movies 10 and 11, especially 11.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:45 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:BROLI SMASH!

I kinda like the idea of a brainless behemoth. Especially a violent Super Saiyan. Even Toriyama reused the idea with Kid Buu.
When Broly was restrained by the crown it was especially cool. Because you never knew when he'd snap.

He only thing i'd change is give him a better motivation for his insanity.
UpFromTheSkies wrote:People don't like him because he's not an interesting character, he's just a bunch of muscle that TOEI kept bringing back again and again. Movie 8 was alright, but they really jumped the shark with movies 10 and 11, especially 11.
On that i agree. Movie 8 was good, 10 decent and 11 was just... bleah.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 am

Flame Dragon wrote: On that i agree. Movie 8 was good, 10 decent and 11 was just... bleah.
I think a better question would be "why the movie 11 hate?". I mean seriously, it's the best out of the three.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 am

I like Broly, but you have people saying he could beat Vegito, Buu, even SSJ4 Gogeta. It makes my head hurt.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Insertclevername wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote: On that i agree. Movie 8 was good, 10 decent and 11 was just... bleah.
I think a better question would be "why the movie 11 hate?". I mean seriously, it's the best out of the three.
Because after movie 10 we had seen more than enough of Broly, he wasn't interesting, and he really shouldn't have had a second movie, yet there TOEI was with movie 11, dragging him back again because they couldn't think of a new villain and story.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 am

If you ask me, Broly is basically the Dragon Ball equivalent of Venom. He doesn't have much in the way of personality, but a lot of fans love him because he looks cool and he came off as a badass in his original appearance. I think Broly was a decent character in movie 8, but the latter two movies completely ruined him.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 am

It's literally a Super Trunks clone.

Even his hair is the same.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:12 am

Because his fans put WAY too much stock in him. I dont mind seeing a argument like Broly VS Cell, but when people start shouting Broly can beat SSJ4 Goku, SSJ4 Gogeta, Beerus, Whis, and Omega Shenron, that's where I have enough.

Goku is my favorite character but I wont pretend he could beat Buuhan, Gohan, or Omega Shenron by himself. For some reason a lot of Broly fans feel that Broly MUST be the strongest of them all and its ridiculous how far they go.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 am

Cause apprantly Broly is stronger than Omega Shenon to his fans. He's overrated and only was good in movie 8. After that he's just KAKAROT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 am

I like his backstory and his connection in the story. but as a character ? MEEHHHHHH!
does he even have a personality ? other than screaming "Kakarottttooo" every second -_-
oh, and don't get me started on how Toei Animation milked him to death, that only made me hate him more and more.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 am

WittyUsername wrote:If you ask me, Broly is basically the Dragon Ball equivalent of Venom. He doesn't have much in the way of personality, but a lot of fans love him because he looks cool and he came off as a badass in his original appearance. I think Broly was a decent character in movie 8, but the latter two movies completely ruined him.
I think you're confusing Venom with Carnage. Venom/Eddie Brock is overrated, but he did have some depth and was an entertaining character. Carnage on the other hand really is just a symbiote version of Broly, only without the larger build.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 am

As has already been stated, it's mostly because of how a lot of his fans go crazy over him, plus how he was sort of milked in the movie series itself. Three Broly movies is really just too many. Personally though, I kinda like the character, at least in movie 8. He may not have a lot to him, but I've never really had a problem with his motivation like a lot of people do. The crying thing is a little weak, but it's no less so than some of the villain reasoning we've had in the manga - though granted, that was back in the earlier portions, so I guess that makes them easier to accept.

And for movie 11 itself...I like it more than I used to, but it's still not a favorite. It's nice to see the background characters get to do some starring stuff, and the setting is fun. I certainly enjoy it more than movie 4 or 7 nowadays.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 am

Pretty much repeating everyone else at this point, but his fanbase really is generally the worst part of his character. I won't get into specifics though, others are already doing that. For more substance on the character himself though:

I like that we got to see a Super Saiyan as a villain, as even though Vegeta wasn't exactly good when he transformed, he wasn't exactly on the opposite side of the moral compass anymore either.
I enjoy most of his back story and that he wasn't just another Saiyan that Freeza had overlooked, as the Saiyans themselves had already left him and his father for dead.
I really like his design. Less so in his "legendary" appearance though, mostly as his blue or blonde normal Super Saiyan form.

His personality and stuff could use some work, especially since he gets dumber in each subsequent film.
Though the Bio-clone could have done without being Broli, his movies generally aren't too bad. I mean, they aren't Slug...

That said, a fourth film with him as a SS3 could be fun if well written (partially as self parody that this is the fourth time he'd be back). Or should I say I wouldn't complain if a film like that were created? Because there are hundreds of concepts I rather see done before that. My only worry is what that would do to his fanbase considering what they already do with the content we have on him now.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 am

Like i said before, i don`t mind Broly..in Movie 8 and 11, but..i don`t like how games company keep overhype him, it`s because of them, fans keep making these Broly vs SSJ4 Gogeta comparisons, ytes, Broly is ok character, but, that doesn`t mean you have to put him in Saiyan saga, or make him equal to SSJ2 Gogeta :x
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015