Lord Slug Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Lord Slug Appreciation Thread

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:04 pm

It has come to my attention that Movie 4 is disliked among the fandom despite it being my favorite alongside Dead Zone. So I've decided to include every reason I like it.

My favourite Bulma design
This is my all-time favourite Bulma design. She so fine her that even Yamcha would never consider cheating on this Bulma. :lol:

Oolong is in it
Not exactly a pivotal role, but it's got him in it. Everything is better with Oolong!

Chichi is actually badass in it
Chichi, who could have been a great Z-Fighter in DBZ but didn't, actually gets a cool moment here.

Yajirobe saves the day
Goku would have been knocking out the entire time if Yajirobe didn't give him a Senzu Bean, all hail Yajirobe.

Piccolo is Tuxedo Mask
One problem with the Freeza and Cell arcs is that Piccolo is built-up to be the strongest, but never accomplishes anything. Not in this film, Piccolo comes to save Sailor Gohan and straight up destroys Dodoria. He does lose to Zarbon and Guldo, but hey he was double teamed!

Best Super Saiyan Transformation
I just love Goku's SSJ transformation here. It actually happens while fighting and he turns into a SSJ of pure rage here.

The Scenery
One thing that I dislike about the manga is that Toriyama picks some dull locations for them to fight. Not in Movie 4, I love the city scenery of it.

Teamwork Actually Works
Something I liked is that team-work actually prevailed. Lord Slug is taken down by the trio of Goku, Piccolo, and Gohan in a cool and creative way. We do get the usual Genki Dama ending (fueled up by the sun) but I don't mind how it was handled here.

Conclusion:
1.) A vote for Lord Slug is a vote for AMERICA!
2.) When I get my degree in Film, I will cite this film as my inspiration
3.) Lord Slug was my first VHS and someone should send me a DVD/Bluray to me for my birthday on March 2nd.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Lord Slug Appreciation Thread

Post by penguintruth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:31 pm

This is a nice thread but I still don't like movie 4 due to for blatantly rehashing old concepts (more so than any other movie), though I did like False Super Saiyan and the fact that it actually portrayed Kuririn and Chi-Chi (two of the most underrated human characters in the series IMO) in a somewhat decent, and honest light as opposed to most movies.

Still better than movie 7 or movie 11.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I don't hate movie 4, but it is one of my lesser favorites. I at least enjoy it a looooot more than movie 7 nowadays. At least Slug has a personality, which is way more than can be said for Android 13 (at least in the original version - I don't really blame FUNi for what they did with him in the dub, considering).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Slug is a boring rehash villain but i think the movie is pretty good.

My favourite moment is that badly drawn frame where it looks like Goku has manboobs. :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:31 pm

It's a good one alright. Better than movies 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 13 IMO.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Medamatcha is cool name, and if I had a pet I would seriously consider naming it Medamatcha. What is the pun on that?

Outside of that, it's... a DBZ movie? Everything naysayers think this series is about sort of exists in it. Undeveloped/uninteresting villain out of nowhere, lots of fights, a squeaked out victory... But then other films did this. I feel like the Neutral President of Futurama would back me up in this, maybe: Super Saiyan Son Goku... is a film.

It is without a doubt not better than Movies 5, 6, and 13.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

chaosyoshimage
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaosyoshimage » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 pm

I don't think it's too bad either, at least not as bad as people make it out to be. I especially love the aforementioned Chi Chi and Piccolo moments. Especially for the former as she gets next to nothing in Z. It is indeed derivative, but as are most of the films, perhaps a bit less so. Like most of the films, it's just a short, fast-paced shot of Dragon Ball. I have some bias for it because it was one of the first pieces of the franchise I owned (Bought the VHS with my grandma when I saw it at a Walmart without any prior knowledge of the film's existence), but I also REALLY liked the first Broly movie as a kid and that doesn't really apply to how I feel about that film today.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Called Lord Slug appereciation thread. All I see in hate :lol: . While I don't have M4 as the top movie. I watch it time to time for the Giji SSJ scene. It looks well down. I love what Chi Chi did in this movie however she did something similar in M1. Bluma best design was her Boo arc and Dragonball designs. However I did like the idea of freezing Earth had not been the same thing that Turles did except the exact opposite.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 pm

When you think about it, though, Oolong appears in nearly every movie (he's only absent from four of them). I can't really give this particular movie any points for that, but I hadn't realized his high movie attendance until I thought about it.

I enjoy movie 04 just fine. Gohan's whistling and Piccolo's reaction to it are cute, seeing ChiChi fight is a real treat, and I loved seeing Goku and Kuririn team up to deflect the meteor/planet/whatever. We don't see many scenes in DBZ where it's just the two of them.

Too bad future DBZ movies broke the tradition that films 02-04 established and we didn't get anymore musical numbers after this.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Didn't know Oolong appeared so many times, I guess its just Yamcha/Tenshinhan/Chaotzu who got screwed over in movie attendance. Poor guys.
Last edited by Kid Buu on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I don't remember him showing up except #2, #3, and I think #8.

It'd be funnier if he had higher movie attendance than Yamcha & Tenshinhan though.
I think his does honestly. Oolong was in the beginning of Movie 2 with Gohan. He was there in Movie 3 as well.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:08 pm

He does have higher attendance than Yamcha and co. Oolong's only absent from DBZ movies 01 and 10-12.
Last edited by MagicBox on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:09 pm

Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaotzu only appear in Movies 3 & 9. Even Yajirobe gets more appearances than that.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaotzu only appear in Movies 3 & 9. Even Yajirobe gets more appearances than that.
Yamcha is 6 times if you count Dragonball. 7 because of BoG
Ten and Chaozu are 3 times if you count Dragonball. 4 because of BoG.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm

It's nice to see Slug get some love. Dragon Ball needed more pill popping geriatrics that would lose a battle against a youth soccer referee. The series just wasn't complete until he showed up.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56 pm

I always did like Lord Slug. I always thought when Goku was fighting him ''Okay lets see how he handles an old school Namekian that's gotten his youth back'' :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:19 am

Kid Buu wrote:The Scenery
That's my main reason for liking this movie. That city had a great atmosphere around it. It made the fight between Goku and Slug more interesting. It would have been boring if they fought in the middle of nowhere.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 am

I liked the hilarious description I saw for it on my cable TV onscreen guide:

Lord Slug truly was truly the greatest space opera of our generation!

I also like the character song that was spawned from Piccolo not being able to handle Gohan's whistling. Piccolo first begging for it to stop, then eventually losing his mind and chirping like a little birdy...piyo yoyoyoyo~~~! :lol:

Hmm, none of the things I listed are about the actual movie itself :P Even though I rewatched all the movies a few months ago in preparation for watching Battle of Gods, I don't think there was much about movie 4 that stood out to me.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 am

B wrote:Medamatcha is cool name, and if I had a pet I would seriously consider naming it Medamatcha. What is the pun on that?
According to Daizenshuu 10, Slug's henchmen Angira, Dorodabo, Medamatcha, and Zeeun are collectively a pun on Andoromeda-seiun, one of the Japanese terms for the Andromeda Galaxy (apparently it's a somewhat antiquated term, since these days seiun is used for nebulae rather than galaxies, so now Andoromeda-ginga is used instead).

It's not confirmed, but Medamatcha's name might also be a pun on medama, Japanese for "eyeball". Since he has those wacky googley eyes.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.