Watching Kai more often than the original DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Watching Kai more often than the original DBZ

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Do any of you guys watch DBZ kai more often then the original DBZ dubbed or subbed?

qjz123
Regular

Re: Watching Kai more often then the original DBZ

Post by qjz123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:25 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Do any of you guys watch DBZ kai more often then the original DBZ dubbed or subbed?
I watch DBZ Kai much more often then I watch DBZ. I just enjoy the much faster pacing especially during the freeza arc because of how long it was in DBZ.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 pm

No.
I will watch the Buu saga and then stick with DBZ. I like it way more.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:31 pm

I honestly rather dislike Kai, but I can't say there's not some personal bias behind it. I grew up with Z, more specifically the Ocean and Funimation dubs, so while I do respect what they're doing with the dub of Kai I find it difficult to get into it. I do like the original Japanese version as well but when I watch anime and the like I prefer to just watch it. It's a little bit lazy I know,but if I want to sit there and read the whole time I'll break out the manga. As a side note I think they went waaaay overboard with the cursing in Kai, I don't know if it's that childhood nostalgia creeping in but hearing Goku casually say "bastard" and "damn" just doesn't sit well with me.
Thanks to SSJ God Gogeta for the avatar.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Haven't watched neither in a while but read the manga recently and that was the best version of Dragon Ball Z for me, no filler at all just straight to the point like Toriyama intended.

Dragon Ball Kai still kept some filler even though it was supposed to be true to the manga.

"All Action, No Filler" what a lie.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 pm

It depends on whether we're talking about the subbed version or the dubbed version. While I maintain that the whole DBZ dub is not as bad as "Season 3," for the most part, when I'm watching DBZ, I'm watching it subbed.

Conversely, whenever I'm watching Kai, I'm watching it dubbed, and don't think there was ever any need to re-do DBZ when it comes to the Japanese voice acting. I won't name names, but compared to DBZ, some of the Japanese voice performances in Kai--while certainly not bad by any means--were not as good as they were in DBZ, and I just get the vibe that some of the voice actors were turning in unenthusiastic, "been there, done that" performances...which is, in all likelihood, because they have been there, and done that. It makes for an interesting contrast to the English dub, where many of the performances have that enthusiasm about them that's lacking in the Japanese version, in all likelihood because the English voice actors are excited to, for the first time, give DBZ the accurate English adaptation that it has long deserved.

Put another way...for the English voice actors, Kai legitimately was something new to them, whereas for the Japanese voice actors, this wasn't new at all.

As for which one I'm watching more.....probably Kai, nowadays.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Haven't watched neither in a while but read the manga recently and that was the best version of Dragon Ball Z for me, no filler at all just straight to the point like Toriyama intended.

Dragon Ball Kai still kept some filler even though it was supposed to be true to the manga.

"All Action, No Filler" what a lie.
They would of had to keep some filler in, if the show moved at the pace of the manga it would be too difficult to keep up. Even for someone really invested in it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Sure it would move a little too fast but saying "No Filler" is just false advertisement and people who don't know any better will assume that it's true, kinda like the FUNimation dub fans who take it for the original script.

Besides, to completely eradicate the filler Toei Animation would have had to reanimate Dragon Ball Kai from scratch and Dragon Ball Kai was obviously not meant for that, but rather a quick cash-in.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:44 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Sure it would move a little too fast but saying "No Filler" is just false advertisement and people who don't know any better will assume that it's true, kinda like the FUNimation dub fans who take it for the original script.

Besides, to completely eradicate the filler Toei Animation would have had to reanimate Dragon Ball Kai from scratch and Dragon Ball Kai was obviously not meant for that, but rather a quick cash-in.
Fair enough, but "not quite as much filler" doesn't sound as attractive to the average buyer.

I'm kind of glad they didn't reanimate Dragonball Z for the Kai release, the new style is ugly and soulless.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 pm

I would've liked to have seen Dragon Ball Kai with Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast animation even though that isn't very appealing to the fanbase here but I've got to admit I don't know why. It looks pretty nice and modernised.
Image Image
Could have posted more images but more or less everyone knows what the animation's like and YouTube is mostly filled with yellowed filtered "remastered" videos of the cutscenes.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I would've liked to have seen Dragon Ball Kai with Dragon Ball: Ultimate Blast animation even though that isn't very appealing to the fanbase here but I've got to admit I don't know why. It looks pretty nice and modernised.
Image Image
Could have posted more images but more or less everyone knows what the animation's like and YouTube is mostly filled with yellowed filtered "remastered" videos of the cutscenes.
There it is, that's the word. Modernized, the reason I don't like the new style is exactly that. It's modernized. That's personally how I view most modern anime (artistically anyway), soulless, ugly, cheap and uninspired. I could take five completely different shows, grab a snapshot, post it here and you probably wouldn't be able to tell what was what. I realize I sound like a total stick in the mud but it really irks me to see people, who could otherwise be decent artists in their own respects, churning out such generic garbage.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Depends on dub and scene. But I found myself watching Kai more often. Most of Z scenes I watch are iconic(Debatable) scenes such as Gohan turning SSj2, Goku turning(even the Original Eng Z version) SSJ, and Gohan killing Cell. However I love DBZ Kai Goku turning SSj for ALL dubs. So it depends on my mood. If I'm re-watching the series then it's Kai.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Of course. The original DBZ is borderline painful for me to sit through at times because of the terrible filler.

Though I read the manga more than watching Kai.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Of course. The original DBZ is borderline painful for me to sit through at times because of the terrible filler.

I think some fans over exaggerate how bad the filler is, if you actually sit down and watch it you hardly notice it.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Wibbs wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:Of course. The original DBZ is borderline painful for me to sit through at times because of the terrible filler.

I think some fans over exaggerate how bad the filler is, if you actually sit down and watch it you hardly notice it.
Oho, I noticed it all right.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Wibbs wrote:I think some fans over exaggerate how bad the filler is, if you actually sit down and watch it you hardly notice it.
The filler is fun to watch but I'd need a reason to, like, the definitive HD 4x3 DBZ release.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Wibbs wrote:

Oho, I noticed it all right.
Maybe I was a little quick with that post, when I think back to watching the Freeza saga as a kid those cutaways dragged it on for weeks :problem: .

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Wibbs wrote:

Watch DBZ episode 1 on Hulu. I could't finish it and that was EP1. I admit it gets better post Freeza Arc but it's terrible during Early Saiyan and Namek Arc. It ruins(Pacing and epic-ness) the eps at times.

I've re-watch DBZ many times. I notice the filler and I skip over it after re-watching the series twice. For now on I just skip them unless they involve Goten or actually GOOD filler.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:47 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Wibbs wrote:

Watch DBZ episode 1 on Hulu. I could't finish it and that was EP1. I admit it gets better post Freeza Arc but it's terrible during Early Saiyan and Namek Arc. It ruins(Pacing and epic-ness) the eps at times.

I've re-watch DBZ many times. I notice the filler and I skip over it after re-watching the series twice. For now on I just skip them unless they involve Goten or actually GOOD filler.
I refer you to my above post. Yeah, now I think of it there was more tedious padding than charming filler that I remember.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 pm

I watch Kai more then I do the original DBZ these days because I can't stand the filler and the standing the characters do in the original DBZ.