Why was Final Bout titled as a DBGT game in US?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Why was Final Bout titled as a DBGT game in US?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:53 pm

Dragon Ball GT

Original Japan air date - 1996
US air date - 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dr ... T_episodes

Dragon Ball: Final Bout

Original Japan release date: 1994
European release date: 1994
US release date: 1994 or 1999

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_GT:_Final_Bout

The thing I don't get about this is why they'd call it "Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout" because Dragon Ball GT wasn't even aired in US until 2005 so they should have kept it untouched, as is its original title, Dragon Ball: Final Bout.
Image Image

Still to this day there's only one real Dragon Ball GT game and that's Dragon Ball GT: Transformation for GBA.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Why was Final Bout titled as a DBGT game in US?

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Majority of the characters are from GT and you have Oozaru Baby and Super Saiyan 4 Goku as boss characters. It shouldn't need to get retitled, but I understand why they branded as GT here.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:59 pm

GT came out in 2003 in the US, not 2005. I guess is that Bandai wanted to cash in on DBZ popularity on TV and they wanted to release a game that was more new at the time. Even as a kid, I was confused by the time since the game spoiled a lot of things for newer fans. If I was Bandai back in the late 90's, I would have just release Dragon Ball Z: Goku Hishōden on the GB instead.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 pm

I wonder why the US version of this game was so different from the Europe version? In the UK the game had Japanese voices along with not having GT in the name.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:48 pm

NitroEX wrote:I wonder why the US version of this game was so different from the Europe version? In the UK the game had Japanese voices along with not having GT in the name.
Back then Bandai seemed to release Dragon Ball games almost intact as the JPN releases.

We had:
Dragon Ball (NES)
Dragon Ball Z: The Legend (Saturn / PS1)
Dragon Ball Z: Appeal of the Destiny (SMD)
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 1 (SNES)
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2 (SNES)
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 3 (SNES)
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (SNES)

If it weren't for France these games would have never gotten an EU release.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 pm

If Harmony Gold's dub of Dragon did well then we would have catch up to the series faster. We would have GT by 1998-1999 instead 2003 - 2004.
She/Her

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Maybe to separate it? Can't explain it. But maybe to treat it as it's own thing so the people won't be confused. Say it's like a video game of DB but it's "GT" so it's a game BASED on DB.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:49 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Maybe to separate it? Can't explain it. But maybe to treat it as it's own thing so the people won't be confused. Say it's like a video game of DB but it's "GT" so it's a game BASED on DB.
The game doesn't have Dragon Ball GT story, just a bunch of characters from Z and GT, so by this logic Tenkaichi 3 would be more appropriate to be called "Dragon Ball GT: Budokai Tenkaichi 3" not only does it have GT chars but also its story.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Maybe to separate it? Can't explain it. But maybe to treat it as it's own thing so the people won't be confused. Say it's like a video game of DB but it's "GT" so it's a game BASED on DB.
The game doesn't have Dragon Ball GT story, just a bunch of characters from Z and GT, so by this logic Tenkaichi 3 would be more appropriate to be called "Dragon Ball GT: Budokai Tenkaichi 3" not only does it have GT chars but also its story.
Exactly. To treat it as it's own thing.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 pm

The DBZ brand name sells better then GT and GT is the least popular of the three shows. We also got Transformation a while back and that game bombed too.
She/Her

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The DBZ brand name sells better then GT and GT is the least popular of the three shows. We also got Transformation a while back and that game bombed too.
But Final Bout was likely the first product in the US carrying the GT name, so they wouldn't have known that GT would be far less popular than Z, to them they probably wanted to start a hype for GT, thinking that when GT aired it'd be equally as successful.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Sin wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The DBZ brand name sells better then GT and GT is the least popular of the three shows. We also got Transformation a while back and that game bombed too.
But Final Bout was likely the first product in the US carrying the GT name, so they wouldn't have known that GT would be far less popular than Z, to them they probably wanted to start a hype for GT, thinking that when GT aired it'd be equally as successful.
Totally agree with that. It was just so early too that even DBZ wasn't the big success that it became when it would eventually appear on Toonami. Ahh, GT Final Bout just keeps giving us discussion topics for years to come. That's pretty impressive, considering the game itself is so terribly constructed. :lol:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Wow, that Wikipedia article is a mess.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:20 pm

America just got DB way too late which is why no one really bought the game at the time. If Harmony Gold DB dub did well then we got all of the cool DBZ stuff back in the early and mid 90's.
She/Her

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 am

Wait, wasn't the American airing like mid-way through the Freeza Arc when this game was released? I'm not sure about the US but here in the UK DBZ was a household name by that point, considering the amount of re-runs we had until the arcs finally progressed.