Why does Tarble look so young?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Why does Tarble look so young?

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 am

That doesn't really make any sense.

According to the timeline Planet Vegeta blew up in Age 737 and the JSAT special was set in Age 776.

Vegeta was born in Age 732 and is the older brother so Tarble should have been born sometime between Age 732 and 737 which would make him at the very least 39 years old.

And set somehow in the special you'd think he was more like a third of that age.

What gives? Bad design work?

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why does Tarble look so young?

Post by Super Vegetto » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:05 am

Tarble is smaller than Vegeta, and he doesn't age like humans when it comes to physical appearance...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 am

Well no but he's at most 5 years younger than Vegeta yet doesn't look half as old.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 am

Pure Saiyans do not age or grow like humans at all. They have four major stages, with very minor instances of growth between them.

From baby to child: Toriyama shows us with Jaco that by age two, Goku is basically the same size we see him at at the start of the series.

Child to adult: Toriyama also mentions in Jaco that have a long period of adolescence to deceive those around them until they are ready to spurt into adulthood, with a body that is physically more suited for fighting. This happened to Goku some time between the ages of 15 and 18.

Adult to Elderly: In the Super Exciting Guide, Toriyama mentions that Saiyans stay in their prime for a very long time because they are a warrior race. Meaning that once they hit adulthood, they barely change physically (as noted by characters like Bluma and Chi Chi in the series, who get mad that they are getting older but their husbands don't change). The guide also mentions that once they reach a certain age, that prime period ends and their body will rapidly deteriorate into an elderly state. In DBO, Goku and Vegeta leave Earth in fear of this happening to them and go off into space to die a warrior's death. Vegeta is physically around 70, while Goku is close to 60.

Tarble specifically can be 37 at his youngest if you go by Toriyama's change of planet Vegeta's destruction being in AGE 739 in for the manga as of Jaco and Battle of Gods. He seems to have just gotten youthful genes that make his appearance especially desceptive, though it could perhaps be something to do with the living conditions on Gure's planet? Who knows.

Honestly, it's all to make him look like a runt that isn't good at fighting, but this is the in-universe section.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 am

The guide also mentions that once they reach a certain age, that prime period ends and their body will rapidly deteriorate into an elderly state.
Toriyama did not mention also that their natural life-span is longer than of humans itself? I mean after entering in 70's, their physical appearance shouldn't be changed that quickly, isn't it? I see it like their youth fading away very slowly and entering in elder state at age of 100+ if they don't die in a fight, and then they would look a like human at age of 50. As for natural death's age should be like 150 years. What do you think?
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 am

Low Tone G wrote:Toriyama did not mention also that their natural life-span is longer than of humans itself? I mean after entering in 70's, their physical appearance shouldn't be changed that quickly, isn't it? I see it like their youth fading away very slowly and entering in elder state at age of 100+ if they don't die in a fight, and then they would look a like human at age of 50. As for natural death's age should be like 150 years. What do you think?
It has been mentioned that Saiyans live slightly longer than humans, but it has also been mentioned many times that the two species have a lifespan that is roughly the same. 150 isn't roughly the same as 100 to me when talking about age. If a human's lifespan is ~100, I'd say a Saiyan's is probably only like ~110.

As for their appearance changing when they start to get older, the Super Exciting guide outright says they "quickly deteriorate". Given how quickly they spurt into each other phases of growth (Goku going from baby to child within 2 years and from child to adult within 3), I'd say it's probably more similar to that than a human's more natural aging. (Heck there might even be two spurts in there. Maybe around 70 they go from being in prime condition to middle-aged, and then at like 90 they go from being middle-aged to elderly.) Though it's not like we actually know when this deterioration phase sets in. It may not actually kick in till 80 or 90, or perhaps it varies wildly from Saiyan to Saiyan based on luck of the genetic draw. ~70 is just the latest number we have to go on for me to put up there as an example because that's how old Vegeta was when he got paranoid and left the planet to die.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 am

You know I wish they'd just bring out a single huge encyclopaedia in English for Dragon Ball and all these extra details that just weren't brought up in the manga itself.

I only recently found out that Supreme Kai's were born from Golden Fruit and not long ago there was a interview explaining how Frieza and King Cold were the only strong people of their race.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:01 am

t has been mentioned that Saiyans live slightly longer than humans, but it has also been mentioned many times that the two species have a lifespan that is roughly the same.
In the Super Exciting Guide was mentioned the difference is slightly? Because in the interview Toriyama doesn't give a special explanation that the difference is slight or significant. I'm saying that because the Nameks' lifespan is way longer than of humans as Kami was more than 500 years old during the DB history...

But given that Goku's aging lilt had those fluctuations from childhood to adulthood, it's pretty acceptable that Saiyans grow old very quickly.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:26 am

It's never mentioned that they live "slightly" longer than humans, but as I said it is mentioned in multiple places that they have a very similar lifespan to that of an Earthling. Anything more than 10, maybe 15 years max, doesn't fit that description in my opinion. The only way 100 and 150 are similar are when you compare them to long-lived races like Namekians, but that's an external factor for comparison that doesn't seem relevant to bring up, as it's never mentioned in regard to the issue. The blurbs are only saying that A is similar to B, not that A is similar to B when you also compare them with C.

Daizenshu 4: World Guide
Growth
In order to win in battle, they have evolved to have a long youth, when physical strength is greatest. Their lifespan is about the same as that of an Earthling.

Super Exciting Guide
Saiyan aging
As a fighting race they stay young for a long time in order to maintain their power, but their actual lifespan isn’t much different than Earthlings, and they quickly deteriorate after a certain age. Saiyan hair style still changes with age, and Nappa went bald. Like with Earthlings, hair composition various from person to person.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's never mentioned that they live "slightly" longer than humans, but as I said it is mentioned in multiple places that they have a very similar lifespan to that of an Earthling. Anything more than 10, maybe 15 years max, doesn't fit that description in my opinion. The only way 100 and 150 are similar are when you compare them to long-lived races like Namekians, but that's an external factor for comparison that doesn't seem relevant to bring up, as it's never mentioned in regard to the issue. The blurbs are only saying that A is similar to B, not that A is similar to B when you also compare them with C.

Daizenshu 4: World Guide
Growth
In order to win in battle, they have evolved to have a long youth, when physical strength is greatest. Their lifespan is about the same as that of an Earthling.

Super Exciting Guide
Saiyan aging
As a fighting race they stay young for a long time in order to maintain their power, but their actual lifespan isn’t much different than Earthlings, and they quickly deteriorate after a certain age. Saiyan hair style still changes with age, and Nappa went bald. Like with Earthlings, hair composition various from person to person.
I see, THX!

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:47 am

My headcanon is that Gure's planet works as a reverse Room of Space and Time and so Tarble is really a teenager.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Well, there are real people who look far younger than would be normal for their age. I've seen people in their late 20s or even into the early/mid-30s who could pass for 18/19-year-olds easily, for example. Heck, I'm 27 and am regularly mistaken for someone 4 to 6 years younger.

And when you combine that with the fact that Saiyans age very slowly compared to humans anyway (with most if not all of them apparently staying in "runty kid mode" until they're in their late teens, and then even after growing into adults not visibly aging much if at all for most of the rest of their lives), it shouldn't be too surprising that a 30-something Saiyan can look like a teenager. Especially considering that short people tend to come across as younger anyway (unless there's obvious signs of age) and he's even shorter than Vegeta, who's already pretty short himself--I think 5'03"/5'04" or so if I'm remembering right? Plus, Table hasn't been training and fighting so he hasn't built up "battle scars" or bulked up his muscles like the other Saiyans have... and those are two more things that tend to make a character look older.

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Jonney depp was 40 in this picture. Saiyan ?

orbweaver

Post by orbweaver » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Bullza wrote:Well no but he's at most 5 years younger than Vegeta yet doesn't look half as old.
Tarble spent most of his time on a peaceable planet (as long as I'm not confusing fanon with canon).

Vegeta has had a really hard life.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Tarble most likely born short which can explain why he looks so young. I guess Vegeta's mom was likely around the same size as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

orbweaver

Post by orbweaver » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Tarble most likely born short which can explain why he looks so young. I guess Vegeta's mom was likely around the same size as well.
That has always been my headcanon with regard to Vegeta's height. A lot of fanfic authors and general fans like to assume there's a special reason he's such a short guy. Not me. After seeing Tarble, I've always assumed that it's a familial trait and Mom was probably a small woman.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:35 pm

He is just short, like Kuririn.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 pm

It's the twin paradox :lolno:

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:16 pm

He's probably just a dwarf.

Also, if you factor in the EU at least, King Vegeta was a huge man. Not like Piccolo-huge, but still quite tall. It makes me wonder why both of his kids were so short.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Tarble's appearance never really bugged me, personally. I just thought it was pretty normal for some siblings to be shorter than others...
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.