Dragon box 7 ludicrous price

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon box 7 ludicrous price

Post by JackyBoi99 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:43 am

Can anyone explain why dragon box 7 is now as expensive as dragon box 2???
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Dragon box 7 ludicrous price

Post by Blade » Tue May 06, 2014 7:48 am

JackyBoi99 wrote:Can anyone explain why dragon box 7 is now as expensive as dragon box 2???
Because it's out of print and the second-hand market isn't price-regulated - so greedy, opportunistic fans are taking maximum advantage.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 am

I wouldn`t really call fans greedy, if there are people who are willing to pay over 200$ for one box, then no wonder people sell it for such price. If anybody is at fault, it`s Funimation, for not inform people, that it is limited release.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:29 am

Yeah I know they're out of print, but now 7 is pretty much the second most expensive whilst the others actually quite a bit cheaper now?
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 am

coola wrote:I wouldn`t really call fans greedy, if there are people who are willing to pay over 200$ for one box, then no wonder people sell it for such price. If anybody is at fault, it`s Funimation, for not inform people, that it is limited release.
I can and I do. There's a difference between people being willing to pay over the odds, and it being okay for others to exploit it. Given what happened when the earlier releases went out of print, it wouldn't surprise me if people deliberately stocked up on the regular-priced boxes such as 7 with an intent to sell them at an increased markup later on.

The Funimation Dragon Boxes were permitted as a release under strict conditions from Toei, one of which was that they would be limited edition, as the original Dragon Boxes were. The release was only ever intended to be an ultra-collectible, perfect and comprehensive collection of animated Dragonball. There was certainly never any confusion as far as I was concerned.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am

Blade wrote:
coola wrote:I wouldn`t really call fans greedy, if there are people who are willing to pay over 200$ for one box, then no wonder people sell it for such price. If anybody is at fault, it`s Funimation, for not inform people, that it is limited release.
I can and I do. There's a difference between people being willing to pay over the odds, and it being okay for others to exploit it. Given what happened when the earlier releases went out of print, it wouldn't surprise me if people deliberately stocked up on the regular-priced boxes such as 7 with an intent to sell them at an increased markup later on.

The Funimation Dragon Boxes were permitted as a release under strict conditions from Toei, one of which was that they would be limited edition, as the original Dragon Boxes were. The release was only ever intended to be an ultra-collectible, perfect and comprehensive collection of animated Dragonball. There was certainly never any confusion as far as I was concerned.
I agree with this so much! I hate people that destroy the markets by jacking the price of stuff up so high that it's impossible to get it. and what's worse is other people go online and see how much it's ''wanting'' to be sold for (because we all know nobody will pay some of the insane prices that some people ask. very very few people would do that.) and they think that their junk is worth the same when that's not the case at all. Look at retro gaming. ridiculous. My brother tried to do this kinda stuff when the Xbox One came out and I told him he's going to get burned.(And he should!) but he wanted to make big bucks off people who were impatient and wanted the new console and thought people would spend double what it was worth. he ended up having to take a couple dollars loss...... :lol:
As it stands the price for DBOX 7 $439.00 and 3.99 shipping LOL you'd think they would make shipping free but NOPE! and the one underneath it is $1,282.35 lol
Last edited by samuraix123 on Tue May 06, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue May 06, 2014 9:12 am

It was always meant as a limited release. I just don't think any of us really understood how limited it was.

Some people did. There were people (on this very forum, even) that bought two whole sets in case something happened to one of whichever box, as well as people that bought multiple Box 2s with the intent of re-selling it later. But there are also people selling entire sets for very reasonable prices, so it's not a general problem.
As far as the second-hand prices? It works just like it always has: It's worth what someone is willing to give for it. If nobody buys it, the price goes down until someone does. (Excluding the not so greedy ones)

I don't like it any better but, as long as there are people willing to be taken advantage of, by paying those ridiculous prices, they will keep being sold at those prices.

At this point, if I needed to replace any of my Dragon Boxes, I'd just save up for the Japanese boxes and still pay less than what some people want for FUNi's Box 2. Or the Japanese singles for even less.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 am

It's always struck me as ridiculous why they can't put out a cheap box set with DBOX footage on it; I don't need a guidebook and the frills.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Tue May 06, 2014 9:50 am

B wrote:It's always struck me as ridiculous why they can't put out a cheap box set with DBOX footage on it; I don't need a guidebook and the frills.
They sort of did with the singles - but I can see why there wasn't another multi-disc collection. In the Japanese market at least, another box set would have detracted from the Dragon-boxes - and now that they're focusing on releasing Kai, they don't want to compete against their own product.

Funimation, on the other hand, are obviously very happy with their DVD remaster, and have since moved on to doing another for Blu-Ray.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 am

The prices are high because people are willing to pay that much otherwise they'd be lower, heck, the only arc for the US DBZ media release that didn't have a 4x3 AR release was the uncut Freeza arc but the others did.

Saiyan arc - Level episodes
Freeza arc - Dragon Box 2
Cell arc - Singles
Majin Boo arc - Singles

I'm aware that the picture quality on the Singles isn't very good due to being the early days of FUNimation but they're in fullscreen aspect ratio, problem is, they're sold in too many boxsets rather than one or two for each arc.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 am

Rukura wrote:It was always meant as a limited release. I just don't think any of us really understood how limited it was.
There's no argument that the DBOX's were meant to be limited print (at least according to FUNimation), what many people are upset about is the fact that FUNimation did such an abysmal job making the fact that the DBOX's were limited print clear to the general consumer, that many people who were either waiting till the price dropped or didn't know about them till after they went out of print (like in my case) missed out and FUNimation refuses to give us another alternative to the DVD season sets, hell I as well as many people would even be willing to accept just a bare bones release of the DBOX footage no Dragon Book, no fancy packaging just a straightforward release of the DBOX footage just so we can enjoy the series in DBOX quality, but FUNimation won't even give the fans that missed out that much.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Blade wrote:
B wrote:It's always struck me as ridiculous why they can't put out a cheap box set with DBOX footage on it; I don't need a guidebook and the frills.
They sort of did with the singles - but I can see why there wasn't another multi-disc collection. In the Japanese market at least, another box set would have detracted from the Dragon-boxes - and now that they're focusing on releasing Kai, they don't want to compete against their own product.

Funimation, on the other hand, are obviously very happy with their DVD remaster, and have since moved on to doing another for Blu-Ray.
Oh, I was referring to FUNimation only. It's obvious they've taken the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, but unfortunately for us, that's in a business sense only. I would settle for silently "updating" the footage on the Season Set releases.

Agreed on all points Toei, though they are putting out boxsets for One Piece under the "Log Collection" branding... While still absurdly priced overall, they're much better than ~$50 singles with four episodes on them.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Tue May 06, 2014 12:51 pm

They were announced as limited, and I guess many people didn't take that to heart.

I pre-ordered each one and was glad that I did.

I did so as soon as they went up for pre-order on RIghtstuf.

Heck, I know that FUNImation didn't even make enough of DBOX 2 to even satisfy pre-orders at first.

However, just to say on topic. DBOX 7 has been out since Fall 2011, so it's finally hard to find after being out for over two years. I just can't feel bad that some people missed out on it. It's not like with some of the earlier ones (DBOX 2-4 come to mind) that if you didn't buy them on release they were immediately hard to find, coming back in stock in waves.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue May 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Rofl, the item in question was $45-60 with tax on amazon.ca a few weeks ago, this is just silly, and deeply flawed. You could get all the boxes except 2 for $225-255, but now something has completely changed. If people are willing to spend 1,300 on a box, I'd look into taking a plane ride to Tokyo, and a bus to Akihabara and locate some mint condition Dragon Boxes, or the fledgeling singles for like wayyy cheaper.

:clap: Good job people.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Jon Jon wrote:They were announced as limited, and I guess many people didn't take that to heart.
The facts say the complete opposite, neither FUNimation's own DBOX press release announcement, online listings or any of the DBOX trailers ever use the term "limited print" or any other equivalent terms, which completely contradicts your claim that the DBOX's were announced as limited print items. If you can find a single instance within those 3 things (and nothing else) that clearly states that the DBOX's are or were limited print, I'll admit that I'm wrong.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

This was honestly so long ago, I can't even find FUNImation's press release on this.

I remember that it was generally accepted my the community here that it was smart to jump on them fast, as FUNImation is known for cutting DBZ releases short with no warning.

Assuming that I am 100% wrong in that assumption, to also assume that a collector's edition of anything continues to be in production is also a hard assumption to make, as that is almost never the case with this type of product.

Mention of the booklet being a "collector's item" here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... dragon-box

This is the most I could find that wasn't from this site, and even then that was just feature emphasizing on the hope that it wasn't going to be a dropped release as had happened previously.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Jon Jon wrote:This was honestly so long ago, I can't even find FUNImation's press release on this.

I remember that it was generally accepted my the community here that it was smart to jump on them fast, as FUNImation is known for cutting DBZ releases short with no warning.

Assuming that I am 100% wrong in that assumption, to also assume that a collector's edition of anything continues to be in production is also a hard assumption to make, as that is almost never the case with this type of product.

Mention of the booklet being a "collector's item" here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... dragon-box

This is the most I could find that wasn't from this site, and even then that was just feature emphasizing on the hope that it wasn't going to be a dropped release as had happened previously.
Just because something has the word "Collectors item" doesn't automatically mean it's a limited production, now if they would have said that the book was a "Limited edition" item I could see it but not in this case.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Tue May 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Personally, I just think it's a bit nitpicky now.

We saw the issues with DBOX Volume 2, 3, and 4 before the full set was even released.

I'm personally surprised DBOX 7 lasted out in the wild as long as it did.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Dragon-Box 5 is still 34.99 on amazon if anyone needs it you better get it while the getting is good. lol http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Box-F ... dragon+box
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:38 pm

I have all my Dboxes 1,3,5-7 stored in my shed for now in a box because were moving. Now I'm kinda like...eehhhhhhhhh since it seems there all goin up in price now :?