What if DB(Anime) was released in mordern era?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

What if DB(Anime) was released in mordern era?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:31 pm

This is a remake topic of http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 17#p647717. The topic that should be deleted and I should had been banned that day as I was a fucking jerk, bitch, and a piece of shit. I'm sorry to anyone I insulted. Now that that's over time to remake this topic :thumbup: .

I'm going by the anime not the manga. What if Dragonball(counting dbz) was made around this time? Would Dragonball-Z be filled with fan service characters or not. Would it still include some anime only ideas? Would it even be two separate anime shows? Would GT exist? Compare to the anime that we're used to through her(Bloomer/Bulma) hair in a modern day db-z might be purple. How would the story change? I think Toei might stick to the manga material seeing as the manga was popular. What would the music be like? Most anime music in modern day(In my opinion) that started in modern era(Meaning not the anime that started in early 2000 or 90's nd still going on today) have weak music. Would DB be the same? How would the voice actors be? Would it be the Kai cast minus the Voice actors who stayed? Would BoG still happen seeing as Toriyama made it? Many questions and ideas.

Please no comments like "Certain anime or manga wouldn't existed" as I'm talking about how the ANIME of DB would have been impacted.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: What if DB(Anime) was released in mordern era?

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Would be such a different beast than what we currently have. I am not big on the current shonen anime, and I think the all the tropes in shonen manga are pretty annoying (DB or otherwise) and just limits the story being told. So I'd enjoy the series way way less if it was a byproduct of our current era. DB and DBZ stand out so much because it does fit that shonen criteria but it is also unique enough to stand a bit above and beyond the usual tropes (at least at certain times).
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Everyone would be 1,000% more angsty.

OH, and there'd be a shit ton of flash backs.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:03 pm

The fillers would be 100X times worst.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:43 pm

The animation would be worse too. I dont like the modern style.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The fillers would be 100X times worst.
Why would there even be filler? They wouldn't have to worry about the anime catching up with the manga in this case.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The fillers would be 100X times worst.
Why would there even be filler? They wouldn't have to worry about the anime catching up with the manga in this case.
But if it was successful, they'd want to make it as long as possible to continue making profit, so filler would be a good option.
Some guy would suggest making long stares and still scenes to increase the episode count, but he'd be fired.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Let's pretend the anime industry remained as it is today 100% and Dragonball was coming out just now.

I think they would stick to being fairly accurate to the manga (in this what if scenario is the manga being created at the same time, or has it already been created in the 80s without the anime?) considering that most anime seems to do that. However, anime these days tend to speed through the manga compared to the slow paced, detail heavy days of old. I think, we would have gotten something like Kai in terms of speed but (if the manga was created at the same time) the anime would have filler intensive arcs and episodes. So, more Garlic Jr type of arcs spread throughout the canon. That, and I think women would be sexualized more but also have a bigger role. Anime these days love to have ass-kicking, badass chicks. So much so that I swear, most anime have women as their main protagonists. Unlike the 80's, where it was about characters that are over-the-top super hero like men such as Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bulma or Lunch would at least have a fighting role some of the time and be used for excessive amounts of fanservice.

Dragonball would market itself with these as the fighting heroes: Bulma and Goku would share that spotlight.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Nice post and yes the manga was completed and its the anime being in the modern era

NovaSayajinGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NovaSayajinGoku » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Maybe less Muscles?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:00 pm

* Blood kept to minimum (like Kai has shown to have done)
* No sex jokes (e.g., Mai making a joke about the Dragon Balls being the balls of..)
* Censor scenes too violent (or skip them)
* Inferior animation (whenever I see a modern pic of Gohan he has a weird face as well as his eyes)
* Non-stop music (sure it may have a few silent moments but wouldn't compare to the old series)
* Bad music placements (listen to Majin Boo arc Kai)
* Recasts (Nozawa would still voice Son thank god)
* Shorter amount of episodes (would actually be a good thing)

Anyway, I like Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT the way they were made there's no need to reanimate them, if anything, make new series/films instead!
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah, that's one thing anime has adopted from the USA entertainment/film/animation industry: non-stop music. The amount of silence in old anime is definitely an often phenomenon unlike anime today. Pick any new series and pay attention to how they use music and compare that to Fist of the North Star, Dragonball or any other older series.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 pm

What year would you consider Modern era beginning? What's the term for new year wise? The Devil a Part timer barely had music. Did Avatar have on going music? How about Legend of Korra?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:56 pm

If Funimation somehow existed and got their hands on DB the dub would probably be the same as their Fairy Tail dub.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:13 pm

ringworm128 wrote:If Funimation somehow existed and got their hands on DB the dub would probably be the same as their Fairy Tail dub.
I never seen Fairy Tale dubbed . only Subbed . How is it?

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:15 pm

- Animation would be out-right terrible as evidenced in Toei's most recent Animation; even outside DBZ.
- People would bash it for its simplicity or compare it to Fairy Tail and One Piece.
- Probably wouldnt get the same rating it did in its own exclusive run competing with Modern Anime.
- No blood or Sex jokes but a lot of typical shonen fanservice.
- Generic rehashed archtypical humour involving the typical slice of life cliches.
- Videl, Bulma and Chi Chi would be G-cups.
- Mr Popo and Kid Chi chi would be censored or drawn differently.
- Vegeta would be a "rip off" of Sasuke / Goku would be a "rip off" of Naruto.
- Battle of Gods would flop the same way Road To Ninja did for its vapidness.
- Noise Pollution of Nonstop obnoxious J-pop songs and loud Orchestra for the BGM.

This is speculating if DBZ was created today. DB might have a better chance but would still be competing with Magi. DB might even be exactly like Magi if it was created today.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Videl, Bulma and Chi Chi would be G-cups.
Now that I'd like :thumbup: . Then again aren't flat loli's all the rage in anime nowadays?