Was anyone else introduced to DB through Nicktoons Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Was anyone else introduced to DB through Nicktoons Kai?

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:07 am

I may be some of the first of my kind on this website, but I was introduced to DB by watching DBZ Kai on Nicktoons. Once I saw the first episode, I almost instantly fell in love with it. It's what ultimately made me an anime fan, and I still prefer it over original Z. Anyone else have a similar story?
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Was anyone else introduced to DB through Nicktoons Kai?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:32 am

Nice to see newcomer DB fans. Can't say I'm one of you since I first started watching it when it first aired on Toonami back in the 90s though. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:45 am

I guess you must be pretty young (I would imagine at least 13) then. Cool to see Nick Toons help some members join the forums. Most people first discover DBZ by watching Toonami. 10 or 15 years ago, most people said that they first got into DBZ by watching bootleg tapes. Those type of fans are pretty rare now though.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:55 am

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:I may be some of the first of my kind on this website, but I was introduced to DB by watching DBZ Kai on Nicktoons. Once I saw the first episode, I almost instantly fell in love with it. It's what ultimately made me an anime fan, and I still prefer it over original Z. Anyone else have a similar story?
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Also were you at least vaguely familiar with the series or did you watch it for the first time when DBZ Kai aired.

Funny enough Dragon Ball Evolution was what got me into the series. It was airing on HBO and it made me remember the series, I had never consistently watched it when it originally aired on tv in the U.S. So I didn't really know much about Dragon Ball. So the next time I was in Walmart I picked up the first set, this was back in 2009 I was 14 at the time. I instantly became obsessed and I went out and bought the rest of the series. I envy you since you were introduced to the series with a fateful adaptation. I just watched the series with the default audio which was Funimation's in house dub with the original bgm completely oblivious to all of the changes that were made. As crappy a movie Dragon Ball evolution is, it's responsible for getting me into anime and manga.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:09 am

qjz123 wrote: How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Also were you at least vaguely familiar with the series or did you watch it for the first time when DBZ Kai aired.

Funny enough Dragon Ball Evolution was what got me into the series. It was airing on HBO and it made me remember the series, I had never consistently watched it when it originally aired on tv in the U.S. So I didn't really know much about Dragon Ball. So the next time I was in Walmart I picked up the first set, this was back in 2009 I was 14 at the time. I instantly became obsessed and I went out and bought the rest of the series. I envy you since you were introduced to the series with a fateful adaptation. I just watched the series with the default audio which was Funimation's in house dub with the original bgm completely oblivious to all of the changes that were made. As crappy a movie Dragon Ball evolution is, it's responsible for getting me into anime and manga.
I'm 15 right now, and I was about 10 or 11 when I started watching on Nicktoons. I had heard about DBZ before that, and vaguely remember watching a little bit, but was too young to care about it. When NT started showing ads for Kai, I said to myself, "Oh, I've heard of that show. I'll check it out." And then magic happened.

Also, that Evolution story's pretty interesting. Didn't think it was possible for that abomination to create fans.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I guess you must be pretty young (I would imagine at least 13) then. Cool to see Nick Toons help some members join the forums. Most people first discover DBZ by watching Toonami. 10 or 15 years ago, most people said that they first got into DBZ by watching bootleg tapes. Those type of fans are pretty rare now though.
Yeah, I'm hoping to see an influx of NT Kai fans in the future, who will go on to criticize the Z dub and defend the Kai dub (unlike "hardcore" Toonami fans doing the reverse). That'll be the day.
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 am

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I guess you must be pretty young (I would imagine at least 13) then. Cool to see Nick Toons help some members join the forums. Most people first discover DBZ by watching Toonami. 10 or 15 years ago, most people said that they first got into DBZ by watching bootleg tapes. Those type of fans are pretty rare now though.
Yeah, I'm hoping to see an influx of NT Kai fans in the future, who will go on to criticize the Z dub and defend the Kai dub (unlike "hardcore" Toonami fans doing the reverse). That'll be the day.
For the record, I like the first half of Kai (with Yamamoto's copyright-infringed music) more than the original Funimation dub of the Saiyan/Namek sagas. I'm a sucker for Faulconer, but the dialogue in Kai is so much superior. Breath of fresh air.

When they changed the music, I was turned off though. Never been a fan of the original DBZ Japanese soundtrack, and Kai made it worse. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:36 am

Welcome young one,

I was introduced to the series via YTV, back then we had glimpses of Dragon Ball the original series thanks to Harmony Gold. At that time Goku was Zero, I only ever caught an episode or two of it, and it was soon eclipsed by rupert bear, and pattington the marmalade muncher. When the series returned, it was the mid to late 90s, Zero was an adult, and I was still in the single digits.

We are happy young people like you are getting into it, as it means hope for the generation is not lost, and more production whether it be story, game, or movie to keep the Dragon Ball franchise alive.

:clap:
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:22 am

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:I may be some of the first of my kind on this website, but I was introduced to DB by watching DBZ Kai on Nicktoons. Once I saw the first episode, I almost instantly fell in love with it. It's what ultimately made me an anime fan, and I still prefer it over original Z. Anyone else have a similar story?
I'm always happy to read stuff like this!

No, I was not introduced to the show through Kai, I was introduced to it by way of random channel-surfing back in 1998, at which point I landed on Cartoon Network during the episode in which Vegeta landed on Namek. I was...about 11 or 12 back then (I'm 27 now), and me and my friends got hooked on the show, talking about how cool it was every day at school. Once you've experienced something for the first time, the only way to have that experience again is to watch or hear about others going through it, which is why I though it was so cool to hear stories about kids getting into DB for the first time through Kai, or hearing about posts written on the Nicktoons message forum about how awesome the show was and speculating where the story was going to go.

So I'm always happy to read stuff like what you wrote. And, like you, yes, it is ultimately what made me an anime fan and got me to check out other animes. For that matter, it heavily contributed to my pursuit of acting and voice acting, which is what I now do professionally! And I'm not alone, I've read a number of stories about how the show would influence their personal and professional directions in life. Masako Nozawa, the Japanese voice of Goku, once said in an interview that one has "got to believe in the magic of anime." I love that quote, because there very clearly is something special about this show for it to influence so many people.

On the one hand, I feel like a I grew up in a better time period than you because we had a fairly large amount of anime airing on TV back then (ask anybody in my age group about "Toonami," a time slot of Cartoon Network that was on after school and aired a ton of anime, and you'll usually get a reflexive reaction to the effect of, "Ah, man, those were the good ol' days"). On the other hand, you did get a huge bonus over my age group--you actually got a good, loyal dub from start to finish...years later, I would learn that the dub I had watched and loved (of Z) growing up was significantly different from the original Japanese version, which was never a problem with the Kai dub. Be thankful that you never had to endure a changed musical score and radically changed scripts that made the characters seem totally different from who they really were!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:51 pm

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote: Yeah, I'm hoping to see an influx of NT Kai fans in the future, who will go on to criticize the Z dub and defend the Kai dub (unlike "hardcore" Toonami fans doing the reverse). That'll be the day.
When I first join DB web forums back in the early 2000's, I remember being scared to admit that I got into DBZ late then most people did. I remember the days when most of the older fans got into DBZ way before it was dubbed in the US and the fans watching the series on Toonami were consider to be the newbie fans. Hard to believe those days were a long time ago when they still feel recent to me. Maybe in 10 years from now on Kanzenshuu that the fans who watch Kai on the CW and Nick Toons will bash on whatever new version of DBZ is out at that time like some of the Toonami fanboys did with Kai on Nick Toons and CW.
She/Her

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:57 pm

I am one of them :D When I moved back to California, we lived in an apartment for a short time. I saw this new channel named Nicktoons. Obviously, I would watch it because I know Spongebob was part of Nick. I then saw this shpow named Dragon Ball Z Kai on the guide. It had a pretty cool name so I wanted to watch it and what a surprise, it was the start of Goku vs Vegeta. I then searched online about it and downloaded a cool Broly wallpaper. I then watched and watched until I became a fan of it and I told my sisters about it.

Sadly, a lot of the kids I know who are into Dragon Ball Z are actually more into Bruce Falcouner and original English Dub. I asked why my friend likes it and he said English Music and didn't like the Japanese music, simple as that... Its heart-wrenching, but I can understand why more American kids would like the original.
Last edited by TheKingOfKamehamehas on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:I am one of them :D When I moved back to California, we lived in an apartment for a short time. I saw this new channel named Nicktoons. Obviously, I would watch it because I know Spongebob was part of Nick. I then saw this shpw named Dragon Ball Z Kai on the guide. It had a pretty cool name so I wanted to watch it and what a surprise, it was the start of Goku vs Vegeta. I then searched online about it and downloaded a cool Broly wallpaper. I then watched and watched until I became a fan of it and I told my sisters about it.

Sadly, a lot of the kids I know who are into Dragon Ball Z are actually more into Bruce Falcouner and original English Dub. I asked why my friend likes it and he said English Music and didn't like the Japanese music, simple as that... Its heart-wrenching, but I can understand why more American kids would like the original.
Well, it's good to know I'm not alone. It's pretty strange that your friend would like the Z dub more just because of the music. There's a project on the forum to insert the Bruce Faulconer music into Kai. Maybe if your friend watched that version, he would like it more.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=18094

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:30 pm

I started watching Dragon Ball Z back in 2001 when the Cell saga was airing on the Australian Cheez TV block, my fiancée on the other hand didn't watch any of the series until Kai started on Nicktoons. (She lives in America, and I don't.)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Hey! Welcome! You've probably been a fan for a few years now, but I'd still like to welcome you! I've been waiting for the newest generation, introduced to DBZ through Kai, to start making posts on Kanzenshuu.

I'm not of your generation, but I'm not exactly from the pre-US dub days, either. Have you watched any of the old dub or the original DB or DBZ in general? How about the manga? Have you read any of it? Or even any of the games whether they be old or new! I'd love to read your perspective on these things! I pretty much know everything the old fogeys like myself have to say about everything under the Heavens.

Again, welcome!!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Kendamu wrote:Hey! Welcome! You've probably been a fan for a few years now, but I'd still like to welcome you! I've been waiting for the newest generation, introduced to DBZ through Kai, to start making posts on Kanzenshuu.

I'm not of your generation, but I'm not exactly from the pre-US dub days, either. Have you watched any of the old dub or the original DB or DBZ in general? How about the manga? Have you read any of it? Or even any of the games whether they be old or new! I'd love to read your perspective on these things! I pretty much know everything the old fogeys like myself have to say about everything under the Heavens.

Again, welcome!!
Thanks for being so interested! I've seen some of the original Z dub, and I don't like it. At all. The voice acting and dialogue is so atrocious that I can't take the show seriously anymore.

Also, I haven't seen the original DB series yet, since it's pretty long and I already have enough anime on my plate at this moment. Haven't read any of the manga, either.

I saw some of GT when it aired on Nicktoons, but stopped 20 episodes or so in, since I eventually decided that I wanted to see the Buu saga first.

The only DB game I have right now is Budokai Tenkaichi 2, but I will pick up Xenoverse when I finish the Kai Buu saga (which I'm watching subbed at the moment).

Speaking of the JPN version, I love both its character voices and the English ones, but I think I like the modern English voices just a bit more (probably since it's what I heard first).

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:09 pm

I, too, have watched DBZ since it first aired in the US back in the 90's--never watched Kai, though. It's just not the same for me without the original voice actors and especially Faulconer's scores/themes.

Glad Kai is still bringing new fans into the genre, though. :thumbup:

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:19 am

Nah, my son watches it on there sometimes haha. I got into DBZ during the Freeza Saga on Toonami... #memories #blessed
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:51 am

Sadly no. I first started watching the series when it aired on Toonami many moons ago. :P I don't know if you know it or not buddy, but Kai is now airing on Toonami so if you don't own the series on DVD & Blu-ray you can at-least re-live some of those memories. :) If you haven't watched the original series I HIGHLY! recommend that you do. :D If you have any questions about the series or movies/specials/OVA's etc Please don't hesitate to ask me! :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:55 am

I have watched about 30 episodes of Dragon Ball with the English Dub and about 100 episodes of the English Dub back when I always kept watching the Dragon Boxes. (Original English Dub) I own the series via manga and read all of it (Prefer it over the show) I own all the PS3 Dragon Ball games except Battle of Z so I need to pick up a little more.

I prefer Japanese for Dragon Ball mainly.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:58 am

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
Funny how that the Funi dub with the Ocean voice cast is the original. It was on Toonami back in 1998 and you would think that the Toonami fanboys would back up that dub :lol: .
She/Her

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:09 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
Funny how that the Funi dub with the Ocean voice cast is the original. It was on Toonami back in 1998 and you would think that the Toonami fanboys would back up that dub :lol: .
Its Over 9000!!! is most popular with the Ocean Dub so I wouldn't be surprised if people who don't know anything about the series would say "That Over 9000 Dub..." :crazy:
Anyways meant to say the in-house dub