DragonBall Z... in US theaters?!

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

DragonBall Z... in US theaters?!

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:54 am

Oh yes, you heard me right! In a move that both confuses and amazes, Funimation has revealed that DragonBall Z movie "Fusion Reborn" will be released in select theaters, playing alongside "The Revenge of Cooler"!

http://www.funimationfilms.com/

I for one am hoping that this won't just be an American thing only, since I live in Canada and would desperatly love to see DBZ in theaters. Time to update the rumor guide!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:58 am

Sorry, bud! Old news. :)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:04 pm

Murr...that's what happens when I don't stay up to date. ~.~ Oh well, why wasn't this news on the website then?

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Murr...that's what happens when I don't stay up to date. ~.~ Oh well, why wasn't this news on the website then?
Because Mike doesn't like updating with FUNi news :). Just a personal preference. Plus, the news was on most other "real" anime news sites.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Well, I don't check other mainstream anime sites. >> DaizEX is the only DBZ site I look at these days.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:26 pm

By the way... does anyone know what theatres in which cities will be included?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:41 pm

desirecampbell wrote:By the way... does anyone know what theatres in which cities will be included?
The selected ones. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:36 pm

Dayspring wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:By the way... does anyone know what theatres in which cities will be included?
Why do I get the idea that the one near me won't be selected?

:?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
Why do I get the idea that the one near me won't be selected?

:?
That's life. My guess is the hyper-psycho-uber-multiplex at all downtown metropolitan areas will have a single screen playing the movie for one day. I'm hoping St. Catherine Street's Paramount theatre will have it so that I can introduce my friend to DBZ.

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:16 pm

As long as they play the uncut version, and in a theatre by me, I'm as happy as a clam. :lol:

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Post by the1payday » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:11 pm

I thought that Funimation had done away with making editied movie dvd's...I'm still also sceptic about if this whole "Theatre showings" thing is actually going to happen period. I'm seriously betting that like 10 theatres worldwide will actually show the movies.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:35 pm

FUNi stopped with edit-version DVDs of the movies at Movie 9, so yeah; DBZ movies 10 and 11 have been straight Uncut for their DVD releases. It's nice to see FUNi's stopped with edit-version DVDs, thankfully only DBZ movies 4 - 9, original DB movies 3 and the 10th anniversary feature, and some Yu Yu Hakusho releases have suffered the casualties of edit-version DVDs. Unfortunately, Shopro is following the example of edit-version DVDs with Naruto, at least we'll get the Uncut version in box-sets though. Err ... getting off topic. ^^;;
14 years later

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:02 pm

I think that it would have been a lot better to wait until movie 13 was done, then put 12 and 13 in theatres together.

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:04 pm

So... Is movie 12 going to play first, and then Return of Cooler? Or the other way around? Or is this information not even known as of right now?

Not like it'll matter to me. I doubt there'll be a showing around here, and on top of that I completely loathe the dub. (Not so much for the voice actors, but the music... God damn.)

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Smooth Criminal wrote:So... Is movie 12 going to play first, and then Return of Cooler? Or the other way around? Or is this information not even known as of right now?

Not like it'll matter to me. I doubt there'll be a showing around here, and on top of that I completely loathe the dub. (Not so much for the voice actors, but the music... God damn.)
Movie 12 will play first, and Movie 6 will follow it. It's safe to assume these will be the Uncut-version dubs of the movies as well. Why they couldn't have put Movie 11 before Movie 12 (rather than Movie 6 following it) since it kind of works in a straight continuity with Movie 12, who knows. The dub of that movie is actually pretty funny, and accurate enough to enjoy.
14 years later

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:44 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Why they couldn't have put Movie 11 before Movie 12 (rather than Movie 6 following it) since it kind of works in a straight continuity with Movie 12, who knows.
1) Movie 6 is shorter than movie 11.

2) Movie 6 is more popular than movie 11.

3) What people like about movie 6 is all the hardcore fighting Vegeta and Goku do together, a theme not explored again until movie 12, which will follow movie at the screening.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:38 pm

At least place Movie 13.

But yeah. Selected theaters >_< . I'd be suprised if they even played where I lived, which is quite big.....but as long as it's uncut, I"m happy. Very happy. First Advent Children, now Dragon Ball Z! I'm gonna say with glee that I will be broke for a long time after April ^.^

wannywan
Beyond Newbie

Post by wannywan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 am

I could only dream of this happening in Northern Ireland!

Theoretically it may happen in England but I can't see it happening really...though if it did, I would definitely consider catching a boat across and making a day of it. Regardless WHO dubbed it!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPpkxkjpPg]Picto-hame-ha![/url]

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:21 pm

I will just simply quote what I said on the other topic:
Son Goku wrote:Yay for movie 12 in theaters!

Yet you now the closest area to me will be New York....

... no special events love Connecticut...
I also go by "veemonjosh".

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:20 am

I will most likely be cheap and just buy the DVD, which comes out in the same month as it comes out in the theaters. Heck, I might as well buy Return of Cooler, too, since I liked that one.

I think it's cool and all that FUNi's actually doing something like this, but the question that still remains (for me, at least) is "Are the going to stretch out the picture to fit the screen, crop the actual picture like they did in the movie's original release in Japan, or will they just play it so it looks like you're watching 4:6 on a widescreen TV:?: My guess is the latter.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams