Destructo Disk makes it to the Latin American Buu Dub.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Destructo Disk makes it to the Latin American Buu Dub.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:22 am

FUCK FUCK FUCK! Mierda Mierda Mierda!

I fucking hate that Funimation gives us their horrible dub terms.

Sorry for the rude language. I'm just really mad right now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Destructo Disk makes it to the Latin American Buu Dub.

Post by Puto » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:00 am

Wait, when was a Kienzan even used in the Boo arc?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:38 am

Are you referring to the Kai dub pproduction?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:57 am

Here's the twit by Eduardo Garza that mentioned it. I really dont see why he would mention that its not going to be in the dub. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, because Toei could be forcing Latin America to use Funimation Scripts and that's just the worst. Even if uncut, the Latin American version has its own flair that is lost if we use the Funimation scripts. Also I'm pissed that Toei can use the Funimation scripts for DBZKai but not to fucking redub One Piece.

I really hope I'm wrong and making a mountain out of a molehill.

GOD ITS EVEN TRANSLATED, MY POOR HEART CANT TAKE THIS. Sorry for the all caps, I'm REALLY mad right now.

https://twitter.com/LaloGarx/status/757768309362176000
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 am

I find it more likely that it'd be for a dub of Super than for a dub of Boo Kai, because I'm almost 100% certain that the Kienzan is NEVER mentioned in the Boo arc. But it WAS used in the "Resurrection F" arc of DBS.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 am

God my heart... I know there are bigger injustices in the world, people who face real suffering. Why does this hurt so much? I really feel for the state of Latin American dubbing. Its my dream to enter this industry and change it for the better.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:34 am

Puto wrote:Wait, when was a Kienzan even used in the Boo arc?
Puto wrote:I find it more likely that it'd be for a dub of Super than for a dub of Boo Kai, because I'm almost 100% certain that the Kienzan is NEVER mentioned in the Boo arc. But it WAS used in the "Resurrection F" arc of DBS.
#18 used it against Goten and Trunks in the Mighty Mask costume and Goku used it against Gotenks-Buu.
You're right they don't actually mention it, but that wouldn't necessarily stop the dubbers from calling out the attacks.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 am

WHOA! Krillin taught 18 the Kienzan? Groovy! That made me smile a little. I really needed that, thanks.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:21 am

I'm not sure if this scene was left in Kai, but Krillin does use the move once on Kid Buu in a filler scene.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:47 pm

How can Toei Animation Latin America Inc. forces Latin American dub to use Funimation scripts? Because the scripts in the brazilian dub(and Brazil is covered by the same license from Toei that is used to the entire continent) are directly translated by the manga, and fitted in the animation. An example of that is the "Over 9000" scene, that in latin spanish Kai was dubbed as "9000", but in the brazilian kais one, was "8000", as in brazilian Z, and in the japanese versions.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:19 pm

Geez, overreaction much?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm really sorry, its just that its that we were promised that the dub would use the Japanese version as basis. On top of not using the Funimation version for something that actually needs it like One Piece.

But yeah, REALLY childish of me. Sorry about that.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:55 pm

Dang, every single most of those comments on the tweet seem pretty mad from what I'm seeing on Google Translate. I can't blame them. If the LaTAM version of the Boo arc of Kai turns out anything akin the the first half, then it's gonna be a riot of over. They really love their original dubs of the series. I can't blame them for that either. They had good acting and translations.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:27 am

I feel like you're taking this to personally. I understand groaning about it or being mad, but you're acting like they just killed your pet.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:34 am

Right, its just that I care about the dubbing industry too much, and I felt like its unfair that when things were going along so well this happens. Actually its not just that, its One Piece and Pretty Cure being ruined utterly by Saban and 4kids and with no hope of ever making things right. It struck a nerve. But you guys are right. Sorry.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:48 am

I already lost hope about the dub. It will never be the same as it was back in DB and Z. The director has changed (and he changed "Supremo Kaiosama" to "Supremo Kaioshin" :| ), the actors have aged and as consequence of that and that they haven't played their roles in a long time (until BOG came) some tones of voice aren't the same (most noticiable example: Buu). Also, I didn't like how the voices for Beerus and Whis ended to be.
With Kai being dubbed from Funimation dub it was kind of expected this would happen as probably the translator and director in charge just want to translate the show without worrying if it was originally called like that or not before.

Times have changed, and I'm just thankful we got the dub we got with Z. Almost an exact translation of the japanese. Almost none of the names were changed (except for Chichi, Gyuuma Ou and Kame Sennin as I recall).

Good times indeed, I just go back to the old DBZ whenever I want to hear the dub again. :thumbup:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:03 am

Beerus-sama wrote:Almost none of the names were changed (except for Chichi, Gyuuma Ou and Kame Sennin as I recall).
Clearly not just those, given that you've just given an example above of how they changed 'Kaioshin' to 'Supremo Kaiosama'...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:22 am

That's because Superemo Kaio (-Sama) is a valid translation of Kaioshin. If they wanted to be accurate they should've went with just Kaioshin instead of halfassing it and making him Supremo Kaioshin.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:16 am

'Supreme' is not a legitimate translation of 'shin', it means 'god' (it's actually the exact same kanji as 'Kami', 神). Frankly, I'd be more inclined to accept it as a translation of the sama honorific than for 神.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:13 am

Oops! Nevermind then!

Thanks Puto, you really are knowlegeable about this stuff!