Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 11-15 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 3]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Apollo Fungus

Re: Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 11-15 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 3]

Post by Apollo Fungus » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:05 pm

I don't know whether these episodes were more interesting than the previous 5, or if I was able to notice more things due to spacing out the viewings, but I overall have more to say on each episode. So let's get started!

Episode 11

-Gohan gathering fruit is utterly adorable, and I really like the rough, but charming animation in that scene, but it feels like there's a disconnect between the end of the previous episode and this one when it comes to Gohan's progression; like there's some development that we missed to make the transition natural. I can't help but wonder that whoever wrote this episode adapted the manga scene this is based on without knowing what was going on in previous episodes (considering episodes 10 and 11 were written by different people; Keiji Terui and Toshiki Inoue, respectively; I suspect that might be what actually happened).

-On the other hand, I rather like the plot involving Vegeta and Nappa, even if it is a bit basic. It really does show how confident they are that they can just take a break and earn a bit of extra cash on the side, and I like that they decide to play along as prisoners for the heck of it. I never got the complaint that they should have just blown up the planet when they saw how bad the surrounding area was, since they would have to check the entire planet before trying to sell it off (imagine trying to sell your haunted mansion just because the bathroom looked nice - it would never work). There's also a nice bit of dramatic irony derived from Vegeta and Nappa being both the saviours and the slayers of this planet.

-Oh yes, my man Kazuya Hisada has arrived! No word of a lie, Hisasa is beyond a doubt my favourite animator in Z, largely thanks to his exaggerated movements and really snappy timing (think Gainax/TRIGGER's Hiroyuki Imaishi but a little toned down if you've never heard of him), and it's great to finally see a scene by him!

-There's quite a bit of background animation in this episode, and it's impressively done. Kudos to the animators!

-The random cutaways are really starting to get on my nerves. I don't mind them on principle, since you do need to remind the viewers about other plot threads when these are being watched on a weekly basis and it keeps episodes from feeling too linear, but it's the execution that really bothers me. This episode's cutaways, for example, feature Lunch stealing money for Tenshinhan...which goes nowhere for the rest of the episode. Just before Vegeta and Nappa face the giant monster, we then cut to Goku running on the Serpentine Road (again)...and then immediately cut back as if nothing had happened. I do hope this picks up in the future.

Episode 12

-As someone who's had ki training and self-mastery on the mind thanks to Derek Padula's Dragon Ball Culture books, I am loving, LOVING these scenes of Tenshinhan and Piccolo training. Freezing waterfalls with nothing more than a powerful kiai, lifting pyramids with your mind - ah, it's just so awesome and I love it!

-I've not watched much of any Dragon Ball anime, so this is my first time hearing Lunch's seiyuu, and I feel she does a really good job at capturing the pure, innocent sweetness of her good self and the rough, violent craziness of her bad self.

-I like Tenshinhan's scene with Lunch, and how he's so dedicated towards training in order to surpass Goku that he completely ignores her and heads back outside to continue.

-Unlike the most episodes, the narratives of Piccolo training, Gohan exploring the wilderness and Tenshinhan dealing with Lunch actually interact with one another, with the actions in one plotline changing what happens in another. It's a small touch, but it does a long way towards making everything feel more connected than it usually is.

-This is more of a comment on the Orange Bricks, since the website I'm watching Z on is using them, but my god! Lines keep vanishing during the shaking (and there's a lot of that this episode), cropped frames, oversaturated colours - this really is a terrible remaster, and I'm not even trying to look for that kind of thing. I'm amazed FUNimation isn't mocked forever in the same way SEGA is always mocked for creating Sonic '06.

Episode 13

-This one's my least favourite episode so far, and one I'll likely be avoiding if I ever rewatch this series. The Onis fall pretty flat in terms of humour, which is quite the problem when this is mostly a comedic episode.

-I don't like the random cutaways, but this one features Tenshinhan climbing up Karin Tower (even though he can fly) because he wants to train the same way Goku did in the hopes of one day defeating him - I find that single-minded drive really charming, and I like how this scene points that out!

-Also, there's a decent match cut of Lunch looking up at Tenshinhan fading to Goku looking up at the clouds above. Other than that, I've nothing else to say.

Episode 14

-Now this is a comedic episode done a lot better. The Princess' flirts with Goku in the most unsubtle ways know to man, and of course it completely goes over his head! The increasingly desperate attempts to keep him in the castle are farcical and funny (especially when Russian Roulette gets involved). It's an overall enjoyable time!

-I like how Goku's nightmare of the Saiyans attacking Chi Chi and Gohan is what wakes him up. Not a call for food, not a desire to keep training, but to just to protect those he cares about.

-Piccolo moving the mountains with his mind is not only a really cool scene that made my jaw drop, but the way it's handled gives it a genuinely spooky atmosphere that reminds you of how terrifying such strong powers can be. Well done!

-Also, Goku mentions doing the tango at his wedding, and I just want to see that now. Sounds like a perfectly comedic disaster in the making!

Episode 15

-More ki training gushing, but god, I love the concept of Piccolo creating an extra self to train with. It's one of those ideas that as soon as you see it in action, you know exactly what's going on and why. I also like that one of their mid-air clashes casts off a bright light, which then transitions into a match cut of the sun shining over Gohan as he builds his ship. Very nicely done!

-There's a brief scene where Gyūmaō tries to give Chi Chi something to eat, but she just hides away inside Goku's old hut and refuses. It's a well-crafted scene, due to its briefness and how we don't even see her, and the only anime-exclusive scene that actually makes Chi Chi a sympathetic character.

---

This batch has been a bit more mixed than the previous ones, but for all the lower lows so far, there have also been higher highs. I'm still excited to see what lies over the horizon, and I can't wait to check out the next few episodes!