Why have a "no-killing" rule in the ToP?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why have a "no-killing" rule in the ToP?

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm

If their universe is going to be erased as a result of losing then they may as well just let contestants kill each other surely? I'm guessing that this no-killing rule has to be implemented so that all the other universes can be wished back at the end of this arc with no bittersweet missing dead contestants. However, if they allow contestants to wish back the other universes then doesn't that negate the point of the entire tournament in the first place? Honestly I'm not annoyed by this just interested to see where this arc goes, I'm predicting some sort of conflict involving the gods and angels.

I mean they could allow the winners to only wish back one universe and it would probably be U7 wishing back U6 but wouldn't that also be a pretty downer ending? They gave the Zamasu arc a pretty downer ending as well with Trunks' timeline wiped out so I'm curious as to what they do here.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Why have a "no-killing" rule in the ToP?

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 am

Because toriyama is no fun. Seeing Hit and Freeza go around killing a ton of fighters would have been super fun

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:20 am

My guess is that it's because if they die, then their souls go to the afterlife or whatever. Zeno erases people so they do not exist no more. So I think he wants to erase the lesser universes, and killing the losers makes erasing them at the end more difficult.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

OriginalRed

Post by OriginalRed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:03 am

Yeah I don't really get it either. This isn't like a traditional Martial Arts Tournament; you're literally fighting with your existence on the line. Why would it matter if you're killed/can kill other contestants? Although, I guess you can make the argument that if some members of the winning universe died, they'd have to find some way to bring those members back to life that might be beyond Zeno or the Grand Priest's powers. But that's ignoring the power of the Dragonballs so that kinda falls flat too.

Meh, I guess Toriyama simply wanted to keep the rules the same as the traditional tournament.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 am

I heard it was to encourage better strategy and focus on ring outs.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 am

Because Zeno isn't erasing the universes, only transporting them to a spot where they'll be holding an after party :D

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:32 am

One of reasons for tournament, is for Omni Kings to have fun, if top tier fighters go all out without having to worry about killing oponent, tournament could have ended much quicker.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 am

Because Zeno wants the duty of erasing the fighters in the Tournament Of Power, and to keep in line with the format of traditional marital arts tournaments. Plus, if the fighters could kill each other the tournament would be over in like 2 minutes, and that's no fun for a character like Zeno.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:02 pm

If killing was allowed the tournament would not be fun, and Toppo and Jiren would kill everyone in no time. I really think that this rule is very important, and it would be acceptable if all the fighters weren't weaklings.

It is very different to be erased and to be killed.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 pm

It's not allowed for "reasons" powerhouses like Hit, , Toppo, Jiren, Frieza, Berserker Kale, would go on a rampage and kill everyone in less than 5 minutes, other not that strong characters, yet enough strong to kill weaker ones like Roshi or Tien are: Frost, Ganos, and some others.

Jiren may don't do anything till someone attacks him, like it happened with Maji Kayo, the difference with him fighting Jiren in such a scenario is that Jiren would just kill him with a single attack, instead of just ringing him out.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Most of the Top level fighters wouldn’t kill except Hit and Freeza. The pride troopers are good people and so are Goku , Vegeta , Gohan and 17

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Because people like Hit and Freeza would be too op. It's easier than you think.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Most of the Top level fighters wouldn’t kill except Hit and Freeza. The pride troopers are good people and so are Goku , Vegeta , Gohan and 17
Being good doesn't necessarily mean you don't kill.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:49 pm

because kienzen + solar flare =OP

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:22 pm

HeroR wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:Most of the Top level fighters wouldn’t kill except Hit and Freeza. The pride troopers are good people and so are Goku , Vegeta , Gohan and 17
Being good doesn't necessarily mean you don't kill.
They wouldn't kill when they can throw people off. Goku and Gohan don't kill. 17 never killed in the present IIRC. Vegeta reformed. Pride Troopers are in a justice gang. They aren't gonna kill innocent people.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Convenience for the narrative and wanting to retain some elements of the traditional competition format are probably what Toei and Toriyama had in mind, as others mentioned. In a way I feel it de-emphasises the dire stakes of this event because you have an artificially conceived reactive curtailment that prevents the fighters from taking the desperation and ferocity of their personality to its natural conclusion.

Now on the matter of who would be more liable to kill someone, the obvious names like Freeza and Hit spring to mind. Maji-Kayo was intending to brutally mutilate Dyspo before Jiren intervened. If someone hadn't attempted to help then it's possible he could have died from shock and blood loss. Our heroes and other groups like the Pride Troopers don't seem liable to kill since the majority of opponents don't seem particularly evil. Maybe they would make an exception for someone like Frost if they got their hands on him. I could also see Prum killing since he did mutilate Piccolo without being aware of his opponent's regenerative ability. There's also Hop chaffing during her exchange with Vegeta about wanting to damage his face. She might have been willing to kill if pushed far enough.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 am

Deathbringer wrote:If their universe is going to be erased as a result of losing then they may as well just let contestants kill each other surely? I'm guessing that this no-killing rule has to be implemented so that all the other universes can be wished back at the end of this arc with no bittersweet missing dead contestants. However, if they allow contestants to wish back the other universes then doesn't that negate the point of the entire tournament in the first place? Honestly I'm not annoyed by this just interested to see where this arc goes, I'm predicting some sort of conflict involving the gods and angels.

I mean they could allow the winners to only wish back one universe and it would probably be U7 wishing back U6 but wouldn't that also be a pretty downer ending? They gave the Zamasu arc a pretty downer ending as well with Trunks' timeline wiped out so I'm curious as to what they do here.
How else were they going to put in Krillin and Master Roshi? One touch from Jiren would accidentally kill him

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am

i think it is smart because otherwise the fights will end verly quickly

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:30 pm

ToshioWrites wrote: They wouldn't kill when they can throw people off. Goku and Gohan don't kill. 17 never killed in the present IIRC. Vegeta reformed. Pride Troopers are in a justice gang. They aren't gonna kill innocent people.
Vegeta killed people after he was reformed, asked Ginyu. Goku also killed Freeza in Resurrection 'F' and tried to kill Black.

Toppo see Goku as evil, so he isn't innocent.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm not just thinking in terms of like "because Jiren would kill everyone in less than a minute" I mean more like what are Toriyama and Toyotaro's reasons for keeping them alive, does it mean they want a happy ending of all the universes being restored with all their contestants still alive as to not make it bittersweet? And I'm also wondering if that means there's going to be a conflict between the winners and the Angels/Grand Priest/Omni-Kings due to the fact that restoring all those other universes would make the whole tournament pointless. I guess I'm basically trying to work out where this story is going because we've been in this arc for almost a year now and I'm just waiting for it to finally end.

(my personal prediction for the ending of this arc is that Universe 7 will win then make a wish that all the inhabitants of the wiped out universes can be brought back to live in universe 7 instead, since they mentioned earlier that U7 barely has any inhabited planets when compared to other universes)