Sasuke Toriyama taking over after Akira Toriyama?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Sasuke Toriyama taking over after Akira Toriyama?

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:55 am

Hey y'all. I'm surprised nobody has been discussing this but do you think Sasuke Toriyama with his recent involvement in Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero ( https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1550636687478251521 ) , will be taking over Akira Toriyama's role in Dragon Ball, or do you think it was a one-thing?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Sasuke Toriyama taking over after Akira Toriyama?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:24 am

From what I've read it's largely to do with the financial side, like managing Toriyama's estate rather than the creative side, as that's what Toyotaro and Iyoku are there for.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:41 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:24 am From what I've read it's largely to do with the financial side, like managing Toriyama's estate rather than the creative side, as that's what Toyotaro and Iyoku are there for.
Right. I would like to read more about this, do you have some links?

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:47 am

In my head I only hear the dub version of young Naruto at the battle in the valley where he's like "SASSSUUUUKKKEEEEEE!!!"

But in all seriousness, I also believe it's just financial stuff, there's no guarantee the son even has an interest in the property or creative chops to continue? For now Toyotaro seems to be the main successor, isn't he writing the next arc himself without Toriyama's involvement? It's going to be a huge test, we will see if Toriyama's involvement is hurting the franchise or keeping it afloat (for the manga at least).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:08 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:41 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:24 am From what I've read it's largely to do with the financial side, like managing Toriyama's estate rather than the creative side, as that's what Toyotaro and Iyoku are there for.
Right. I would like to read more about this, do you have some links?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... on-sasuke/

This is the part that hints at what I said:
When it comes to famed creators, their estates are often overseen by family members, and you only have to look at J.R.R. Tolkien to see that is true. The famed English author passed their literary estate to his son Christopher who oversaw the handling of The Lord of the Rings IP until his own death. So when Toriyama wants to go into retirement, it seems likely Sasuke will head up the estate.
I've never read anything about Sasuke Toriyama being involved in the manga business, I don't think he is, but as the creator's son I do think its only right that himself and his sister are the ones who inherit their father's wealth when he eventually (sadly) passes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 am

nato25 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:47 am For now Toyotaro seems to be the main successor, isn't he writing the next arc himself without Toriyama's involvement?
Is he? Link?

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:08 pm

I think they mean for legal and finantial matters, our Tori is becoming too old :cry:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:29 pm

I saw this going around, but that seems to be one of those accounts that doesn't have a particularly good grasp on either English or Japanese... so is there an actual bit of context that we could check out? Video replay? We have actual bilingual translators that could very easily clarify this!

(My expectation would be what's been theorized a bit, in that Sasuke would be handling some of the day-to-day project management sides of things, rather than anything creative.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:22 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:29 pm I saw this going around, but that seems to be one of those accounts that doesn't have a particularly good grasp on either English or Japanese... so is there an actual bit of context that we could check out? Video replay? We have actual bilingual translators that could very easily clarify this!

(My expectation would be what's been theorized a bit, in that Sasuke would be handling some of the day-to-day project management sides of things, rather than anything creative.)
I unfortunately know only about the Twitter link. I guess we'll have to wait for an eventual announcement.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm

The idea of Toriyama's family member carrying over the story may not always be a good idea. Bram Stoker's great-grandnephew Dacre Stoker wrote a official sequel to Dracula and look how that turn out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm The idea of Toriyama's family member carrying over the story may not always be a good idea. Bram Stoker's great-grandnephew Dacre Stoker wrote a official sequel to Dracula and look how that turn out.
I agree. But even if it had turned out great, Dacre Stoker is not and can never be Bram Stoker. I'd go as far as to say that anyone (family or not) carrying over for an artist/storyteller, as if they were himself, is a bad idea. Another thing entirely is to preserve the artist's work and approach, and protect it. That's honorable and specially appropriate for a family member.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:20 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm The idea of Toriyama's family member carrying over the story may not always be a good idea. Bram Stoker's great-grandnephew Dacre Stoker wrote a official sequel to Dracula and look how that turn out.
Yes, however, Christopher Tolkien did an amazing job continuing his fathers legacy and expanding upon the wealth of knowledge by working to compile and edit new material to add to The Hobbit/Lord of the rings mythos. I think that as long as he loves and has an understanding of the series, it could prove to be a good thing.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:20 amYes, however, Christopher Tolkien did an amazing job continuing his fathers legacy and expanding upon the wealth of knowledge by working to compile and edit new material to add to The Hobbit/Lord of the rings mythos. I think that as long as he loves and has an understanding of the series, it could prove to be a good thing.
Christopher Tolkien didn't continue anything, he edited and published his father's work that was never released. He never made his own stories.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:13 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 am
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:20 amYes, however, Christopher Tolkien did an amazing job continuing his fathers legacy and expanding upon the wealth of knowledge by working to compile and edit new material to add to The Hobbit/Lord of the rings mythos. I think that as long as he loves and has an understanding of the series, it could prove to be a good thing.
Christopher Tolkien didn't continue anything, he edited and published his father's work that was never released. He never made his own stories.
That's what I said................................ I said Edit and Compile. and "Continuing his father's legacy" by doing so.