20 years ago today CNX launched

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

20 years ago today CNX launched

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:48 am

For those unaware CNX was a short-lived sister channel of the UK branch of Cartoon Network.

Long gone, but never forgotten, here are some promos the channel used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ygO7x8khUTE

As we can see the 'Main Theme' track (better known by fans as 'Rock the Dragon') is used to hype up CNX as "the only place to catch new episodes of Dragon Ball Z", which is accurate as it was from this point the main Cartoon Network ceased premiering them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0xJkTg_dBAI

This promo is more operatic in style, the song for anyone unaware is 'The Host of Seraphim' by Dead Can Dance. It's really good in a different way, and captures the tragedy of the Saiyans. The flashback to Bardock's death juxtaposes with Goku's battle with Freeza nicely. Both tried to stop Freeza, ironically since the evil tyrant survived Namek neither fully succeeded, but Goku did what his father (who he of course never knew) could not do by winning the battle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ERqfsljVuP0

A short but sweet promo, sadly its the only remaining relic of the Funimation Fusion saga, as fan recordings have not surfaced, but we all know it did happen.

I've done a lot of searching for answers as to how often the Funimation dub was used compared to the Westwood dub as I didn't see every airing. As far as I can tell it appears the Funimation dub was used for the first few airings of the Fusion saga in the morning, afternoon and evening timeslots and when it changed to the Westwood dub after a month or so that dub was used for the afternoon airings at least. Fans here have recalled seeing the Funimation dub at earlier times than 5pm like the morning and 1pm slots, so maybe Cartoon Network kept using them to get use out of the dubbed episodes they paid for while still using the Westwood dub they evidently wished to phase the Funimation Fusion saga out in favour of.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pn0X2z0ZbY

Nice to see this GT promo has survived. When GT premiered on CNX on March 3, 2003 the channel aired everything as far as the Baby arc shortly before its closure. The rest of the series aired on CNX's successor - Toonami.

Anyway glad to see these promos have survived. I know some here watched the series on CNX too and might like to look back on them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: 20 years ago today CNX launched

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:27 am

That's really cool! I know that the English-speaking versions of DBZ didn't present or promote the series appropriately, but I do miss that promotional material.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 am

Nice job on finding them promos. I watched CNX from day one after waiting for what felt like forever for the Fusion saga to air. At the time I was really happy they used Funimation's dub, as I'd really missed the Faulconer score. Those episodes also remain some of my favourites to this day, with Gotenks vs Buu, Mystic Gohan vs Buu, and Vegito vs Buu being some of my favourite fights. I remember being on the edge of my seat when Buu arrived at the lookout. We'd had toys of Super Buu here ever since the Cell saga had aired, so it was exciting to finally see him appear in the show.

It's kind of sad how so few people remember CNX. It had awesome promos, aired multiple shows that would later air in Toonami UK, and also aired stuff like early Jackie Chan films at night. I understand why they rebranded it as Toonami and moved it to the kids section, and Toonami UK was an awesome channel in its own right, but for me CNX was on another level. Something about having DBZ air outside the kids section just felt cool to 10 year old me, and the less censored Funimaton Fusion episodes added to that, with Buu jumping down the gunman's throat being shown in full.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ygO7x8khUTE

As we can see the 'Main Theme' track (better known by fans as 'Rock the Dragon') is used to hype up CNX as "the only place to catch new episodes of Dragon Ball Z", which is accurate as it was from this point the main Cartoon Network ceased premiering them.
I hadn't seen this one in years, but I do remember it. Notice how it shows scenes from Faulconer's Buu saga opening, which was only occasionally used even for the Funimation dubbed episodes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0xJkTg_dBAI

This promo is more operatic in style, the song for anyone unaware is 'The Host of Seraphim' by Dead Can Dance. It's really good in a different way, and captures the tragedy of the Saiyans. The flashback to Bardock's death juxtaposes with Goku's battle with Freeza nicely. Both tried to stop Freeza, ironically since the evil tyrant survived Namek neither fully succeeded, but Goku did what his father (who he of course never knew) could not do by winning the battle.
I remember this one being played a lot. So cool that they still went out of their way to make a Frieza saga promo, even though Z was coming to an end.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ERqfsljVuP0

A short but sweet promo, sadly its the only remaining relic of the Funimation Fusion saga, as fan recordings have not surfaced, but we all know it did happen.
This was one of several promos that aired leading up to the channels premiere. There was one of Buu staring at the hourglass before screaming "No more! No more waiting!", one with Piccolo reacting to the Super Ghost saying "What.. the heck.. is that..!?", and one with Gotenks using his Spindletop Punch.
There was also this promo which was also used in the Netherlands;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFypTzqG_g

There's also this promo where you can briefly hear Justin Cook's Super Buu screaming at the end;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq1NJfIpqts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pn0X2z0ZbY

Nice to see this GT promo has survived. When GT premiered on CNX on March 3, 2003 the channel aired everything as far as the Baby arc shortly before its closure. The rest of the series aired on CNX's successor - Toonami.
It's funny how this promo shows scenes from the Shadow Dragon saga, even though those episodes weren't aired in the initial batch. It initially jumped back to the start halfway through Super 17, before airing the later episodes further down the line with no promos whatsoever.

Here's some more promos for the overall channel;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq1NJfIpqts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVFxRzr9Cq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUXSFbKznKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7meIwkMPiCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F-L6VLrr4o

There's also this announcement of it becoming Toonami;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTcv4poBLc
Last edited by 90sDBZ on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:22 am

Yeah, I wish more people remembered CNX, but hey that's why I post threads like this.
90sDBZ wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:34 am Nice job on finding them promos. I watched CNX from
There was also this promo which was also used in the Netherlands;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFypTzqG_g
Been looking through the old UKDB site, and it seems they may have only aired promos for the Funimation Fusion saga but not the actual episodes with Funimation's cast.
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2002 at 12:41 by Jero

Starting next friday, november 8th, Holland will begin receiving the so called "Fusion Saga", starring the ever-popular Gotenks. It's not entirely certain whether or not Yorin will air Ocean's dub or FUNimation's, but the Garlic Jr. credits at the end of yesterday's ep are a good indication that Holland will be the next victim...

On a side note, Gundamvoices.com called its quits. They'll keep the site open for database purposes. If you want to know some more about the people behind the voices in Gundam Wing, and Dragonball Z of course, then take a look. It's a shame that another pro- Ocean Group site has closed down.

One last thing: I would like to address that i don't want to receive any more requests like "post my opinion on the site, it's good". No Andrew, i'm not looking at you. It's the staff's call only whether or not we'll put up opinions about the dub or DBZ in general. If you do want so, please send the entire essay to me so i can take a look.

That would be all. There's not much going on right now in the whole community, so don't blame us for the lack of updates. Maybe later this week there'll be Vegito clips available.
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 at 17:09 by Jero-
Friday, November 8-

Today was the first episode of the Fusion saga (239) and surprisingly, they showed Ocean. YES, OCEAN. Dunno if they'll maintain this, i was glad i didn't hear Faulconer through my speakers during the title card.

I'm still deciding whether or not i'll pick up with the reviews again. There's not much action in just one single episode so maybe i'll handle 5 episodes at a time and write a review about it.

More news to follow.

-Thursday, November 14-

FUNimation.

I guess they ran out of tapes, otherwise they would've showed the saga from the beginning. In the meantime, let's enjoy the show and relive the glorious days of Sean's Goku again!

Update:

Damn, this is getting confusing. Now they're airing Ocean's again. We'll just have to wait to find out what's exactly going on. Of course, this is a good way to compare both dubs.
So it looks like the UK caught up with the Netherlands even though the latter got the Westwood dub first. Cartoon Network must have had Westwood's versions of the Fusion saga by November 8, 2002 since they were providing the Dutch channel Yorkiddin with their materials (hence using the same promos). Hopefully there are some Dutch fans out there who can corroborate this.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:15 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:22 am Been looking through the old UKDB site, and it seems they may have only aired promos for the Funimation Fusion saga but not the actual episodes with Funimation's cast.

So it looks like the UK caught up with the Netherlands even though the latter got the Westwood dub first. Cartoon Network must have had Westwood's versions of the Fusion saga by November 8, 2002 since they were providing the Dutch channel Yorkiddin with their materials (hence using the same promos). Hopefully there are some Dutch fans out there who can corroborate this.
From looking at that old post, it looks like Yorkiddin actually switched back and forth between the 2 dubs episode to episode. Notice how he lists Friday the 8th as Ocean, then November the 14th as Funimation, and then gives an update saying they're airing Ocean again saying he's confused by it. Looks like the Netherlands had an even crazier time than we did.

I looked at some of the earlier posts on that site and he mentions an "English dub race" around the premiere of the Fusion saga, with Canada's YTV being ahead of the UK, who were only 1 episode ahead of the US. It's unclear which dub YTV were airing at the time, but it's interesting to know Funimation's Fusion saga actually premiered in the UK slightly before the US.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:24 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:15 am From looking at that old post, it looks like Yorkiddin actually switched back and forth between the 2 dubs episode to episode. Notice how he lists Friday the 8th as Ocean, then November the 14th as Funimation, and then gives an update saying they're airing Ocean again saying he's confused by it. Looks like the Netherlands had an even crazier time than we did.
Just going back over that post, and it looks like your right. So weird if they flip flopped. At least with CNX they sticked with Westwood after the switch (at least for the 5pm timeslot) so there was some semblance of consistency. Dutch kids must have been so confused.
90sDBZ wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:15 am I looked at some of the earlier posts on that site and he mentions an "English dub race" around the premiere of the Fusion saga, with Canada's YTV being ahead of the UK, who were only 1 episode ahead of the US. It's unclear which dub YTV were airing at the time, but it's interesting to know Funimation's Fusion saga actually premiered in the UK slightly before the US.
I seen that too. From what I've heard about YTV they never aired the Funimation dub again after Z episode 168 (edited numbering) because they were sick of getting tapes too late, so their run of the Fusion saga would have used the Westwood dubbed episodes exclusively. It wasn't until 2006 the two companies patched things up, as was seen when YTV rerun Dragon Ball Z episode 1 two years later on Bionix block in celebration of their 20th anniversary using the Funimation master from 1997 instead of the master provided by Ocean in 1999 when they had begun editing the Funimation dubbed episodes themselves.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 pm

I'm surprised to find out that UK airings of Z were briefly ahead of US and Canada's. I was always under the assumption things didn't catch up until the tail end but I guess it was more complicated.

CNX was a great little channel while it lasted and I'm glad I was there to witness it. Along with DBZ, I was introduced to Outlaw Star thanks to the late-night airings. Unlike the US broadcasts, ours ended up being completely uncut which was an eye-opening experience for me at the time. I wasn't used to anime characters swearing or showing nudity before then, it kind of changed the way I viewed animation going forward. I knew of them airing other mature Bandai shows like Cowboy Bebop and The Big O but unfortunately, I never got to catch those as they aired on the channel.

I have pretty vivid memories of first watching the premiere of Samurai Jack on the CNX channel, and it seemed longer than the usual cartoon episode length. Perhaps I'm misremembering that detail or it was just two episodes edited together or something, but it definitely felt like a very epic introduction for the time.

As far as Dragon Ball Z goes, CNX will forever be cemented in Dragon Ball Z's history for me. Not just because of the well-documented broadcast history, but also because of the Playstation 2 Budokai PAL release proudly displaying the channel logo on the cover (as well as containing a CNX ad within the game manual). It's a little piece of history nobody can erase (unlike the dub that aired here).

The channel promos were fantastic, as others have mentioned. The music choices during the CNX era were a lot more mature overall, although CN UK had started that trend earlier with promos like this (which I hope is remastered some day) and the now lost Return of the Joker promo with that one 'Guess who's back' Eminem song. The style of presentation that appealed to all ages is something I miss from Cartoon Network. The playfully chaotic vibe was, unfortunately, something that was lost as the channel progressed, and at this point no longer even resembles the original mission statement of the channel.

The voice of many of the Toonami/CNX promos, Redd Pepper, was a superb choice too. He definitely gave Peter Cullen over on the US side a run for his money. At the time he had voiced the game Shadow Man but was most well-known for adverts and film trailers. I wish he had gotten to do more promos for CNX similar to the US Toonami teasers for some of their shows but what we got was pretty epic nonetheless.

The most memorable promo for me was definitely the DBZ 'Frieza saga' promo posted above with The Host of Seraphim as the accompanying song. The tone was totally unexpected for a DBZ ad at the time (not to mention a stark contrast to the tone of those dubbed Frieza saga episodes) yet it was an incredibly fitting choice for DBZ. I liked it so much that I even ended up syncing it to DB footage myself.

Other noteworthy mentions that I haven't seen posted here are the Gundam Wing promo and channel intermission, along with this Batman: Of the Future one. I was introduced to DJ Shadow through the Gundam promo so I'll always be thankful for that.

It's a shame we'll never know who edited these promos, I'm sure they must have some interesting stories.

But alas, the channel was short-lived due to the inability to attract advertisers, and even though it did stick around as Toonami in the kids section it was really the beginning of the end as it wasn't able to compete long-term with established channels like Cartoon Network and Fox Kids/Jetix. At least, that's the way it seems. I do hope we can get ahold of some ratings information someday but for now, it doesn't seem likely as the BARB ratings info was likely discarded long ago.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:24 am It wasn't until 2006 the two companies patched things up, as was seen when YTV rerun Dragon Ball Z episode 1 two years later on Bionix block in celebration of their 20th anniversary using the Funimation master from 1997 instead of the master provided by Ocean in 1999 when they had begun editing the Funimation dubbed episodes themselves.
A friend of mine went to an Anime North expo in Canada back in 2018 in which YTV employees supposedly attended. According to him, when asked about DBZ, they mentioned that the majority of YTV's DBZ masters were thrown away but some were held onto. Presumably, the episode that they aired during the anniversary was merely one that remained in their archive rather than something they newly acquired from Funimation, but I could be wrong. He did also mention that none of the episodes could be aired due to licensing issues so that part would probably involve them getting permission. I don't know if that counts as patching things up though.

On the subject of YTV, apparently one of the reasons they stopped airing DBZ sooner was due to them being fed up with having to deal with censorship. I can't say for sure if that's true but I don't doubt it being a factor in their decision.
This is a fan-made AMV that uses a Tekken 6 track btw. That said, I have always liked it. It's a nice tribute.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:28 am

NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 pm I'm surprised to find out that UK airings of Z were briefly ahead of US and Canada's. I was always under the assumption things didn't catch up until the tail end but I guess it was more complicated.
It was not as uncommon as you'd think. I remember when the original Yu-Gi-Oh was airing in Ireland we would get the last couple of episodes of seasons 3, 4 and 5 before the UK or the US. The Capsule Monsters miniseries also unexpectedly debuted here.
NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 pmA friend of mine went to an Anime North expo in Canada back in 2018 in which YTV employees supposedly attended. According to him, when asked about DBZ, they mentioned that the majority of YTV's DBZ masters were thrown away but some were held onto. Presumably, the episode that they aired during the anniversary was merely one that remained in their archive rather than something they newly acquired from Funimation, but I could be wrong. He did also mention that none of the episodes could be aired due to licensing issues so that part would probably involve them getting permission. I don't know if that counts as patching things up though.
I'm aware of this. I would have guessed that YTV had long lost the rights to the series by then, so that makes sense. Sure they could probably have renewed them, but given the fact they haven't aired Kai despite having a good working relationship with Ocean I think it's safe to say they aren't interested.

Getting back to CNX does anyone remember if they aired The Karate Kid? I know I watched that like 20 years ago and think it was on CNX but can't remember for certain. I do remember they aired classic live action martial arts movies, which was a neat way of distinguishing them from Cartoon Network or even the later Toonami channel, which started good but ultimately became little more than a dumping ground for whatever action shows Cartoon Network had or didn't want to air on their main channel.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:27 am

NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 pm The channel promos were fantastic, as others have mentioned. The music choices during the CNX era were a lot more mature overall, although CN UK had started that trend earlier with promos like this (which I hope is remastered some day) and the now lost Return of the Joker promo with that one 'Guess who's back' Eminem song.
I actually remember that Return of the Joker promo. I think they aired Mask of the Phantasm and Mr Freeze: Subzero around the same time too, with the latter having a promo with ‘You're as cold as ice' by M.O.P.
This is a fan-made AMV that uses a Tekken 6 track btw. That said, I have always liked it. It's a nice tribute.
I should've realized it was Nancy's theme from T6. I was just replaying it the other week, and that bonus fight was always frustrating.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:28 am Getting back to CNX does anyone remember if they aired The Karate Kid? I know I watched that like 20 years ago and think it was on CNX but can't remember for certain. I do remember they aired classic live action martial arts movies, which was a neat way of distinguishing them from Cartoon Network or even the later Toonami channel, which started good but ultimately became little more than a dumping ground for whatever action shows Cartoon Network had or didn't want to air on their main channel.
I can't remember if CNX aired it, but Toonami UK definitely aired Karate Kid parts 2 and 3 a few times around 2005. It was actually my first time seeing those movies, and I didn't see the 1st one until later that year when another channel aired it on Christmas Eve.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am

So through some digging I managed to find old schedules from CNX that I thought I would be fun share with you all on this forum.
Here we see Dragon Ball Z was the only show that got double bills, meaning 6 episodes a day were aired between 1 premier (excluding first day where 2 episodes aired) and 5 repeated episodes. Other shows got 4 episodes a day (X-Men : Evolution, Batman of the Future), 3 (Jonny Quest, Chris Colorado, Gundam Wing and the hour-long CNX original Trailer Park), 2 (Justice League, Samurai Jack, Outlaw Star, Spawn, Space Ghost) or 1 (Tenchi Muyo).
Jonny Quest, Chris Colorado, Batman, X-Men : Evolution, Samurai Jack were upgraded to double bills in the morning. Justice League was moved to noon but also got a double bill. Dragon Ball Z was moved to a slightly later timeslot at 9am and a slightly earlier 1pm afternoon slot. From 3-9pm there were no changes to the previous schedule, but several shorts followed from 9-10pm (Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Leave It To Brak).
This one is somewhat of a mix of the two previous schedules. The first 6-9am part of the schedule is reinstated, but Justice League and Samurai Jack each moved one timeslot earlier. Jonny Quest moved to 10am, Tenchi retains the same timeslot with its new series. 11-1pm is also reinstated but Dragon Ball Z retains its 1pm double bill

And a schedule following the UK and Irish premier of Dragon Ball GT:
In this schedule we see a lot of shows being moved to 15-25 minute earlier timeslots, GT takes Dragon Ball Z's early double bill and after school slots and Jonny Quest and Samurai Jack are squeezed in to allow for Dragon Ball Z's prior 1pm timeslot, following that there is some mixing around of previous shows as well as shifting to earlier slots before stabilizing at 4.30pm for X-Men : Evolution and then GT. Samurai Jack gets a double bill. Spawn, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing are moved to slightly later timeslots.
By this point new shows like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe are added, Dragon Ball GT retains a morning double bill, but Dragon Ball Z is added and in the afternoon there is a double bill comprised of single timeslots for each show, conversely Dragon Ball Z gets a double bill at 1pm with a single episode of GT following, Dragon Ball Z gets an additional evening slot and GT a late night slot.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Wed May 08, 2024 12:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am This one is somewhat of a mix of the two previous schedules. The first 6-9am part of the schedule is reinstated, but Justice League and Samurai Jack each moved one timeslot earlier. Jonny Quest moved to 10am, Tenchi retains the same timeslot with its new series. 11-1pm is also reinstated but Dragon Ball Z retains its 1pm double bill
Just to add, the Toonami block on CN UK had separate schedules for weekdays compared to weekends. I was never able to catch DBZ during the weekdays at 5pm, so would have to watch the weeks episodes on the weekend during the early morning showings. I'm assuming CNX had a similar situation, with a different weekday and weekend schedule.

Also happy belated 20 years to CNX. To this day I think it's the greatest most underrated TV Channel to have broadcast in the UK. Wish more people remembered it.