Chinese Language Dragon Ball Fan resources?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Chinese Language Dragon Ball Fan resources?

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:54 am

So, we have quite a considerable amount of knowledge about Dragon Ball fanbases in most of the world, such as Europe, Asia, and the Americas.
But I wonder about the people of Chinese-speaking places in Asia, it seems we don't have as much discussion of or focus on that side of things.
And I generally find their stuff that relates to anime to be rather interesting. For example, if I look up a series that's in Katakana but it's a native Japanese term on JP Wikipedia, I can at times switch to CN Wikipedia and it will either have the same name but in Kanji, or an interesting title derived from some other element of a series (for example, over there Naruto is known as "火影忍者/Huǒyǐng rěnzhě" which reads as "Hokage Ninja"). Dragon Ball itself is known as "七龍珠/Qīlóngzhū", which would be "Seven Dragon Pearls" if translating literally.

I find that this also extends to attack names, character names, and other such things where they can be rendered in Kanji but may usually not be. It feels as if the Chinese usually know exactly what Kanji they could be pointing to.

So I wonder, does anyone know any good Chinese resources concerning Dragon Ball aside from the Chinese Wikipedia? And are there any known Chinese users on this site? It would be interesting to hear of how the series did there.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Chinese Language Dragon Ball Fan resources?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:18 pm

Sadly Dragon Ball in mainland China isn't very well documented, I've done some research into it but there's still a lot of holes in the information I've found.

The earliest Dragon Ball product to hit mainland China is the Big Secret game on the Super Cassette Vision platform in 1986, which had technical issues that made gameplay difficult. There were some Gameboy Advance Games, like Legacy of Goku in 2002, with the second and third installments following in 2004, Dragon Ball Adventure, also in 2004, and Dragon Ball GT in 2005.

The manga has had various releases, both illegally and legally and to varying levels of success. Kei17 has
documented them.

What I have been able to find out is that the Liaoning People's Art Theatre were at one point involved in the dubbing business, and the mainland Mandarin dub of Dragon Ball seems to have been recorded there and maybe also produced by them. These dubs were known by fans as "Laoyi dubs".

I've not been able to find any information on when the Laoyi dub of Dragon Ball was recorded, but I do know they only dubbed the original series and all 153 episodes and posisbly the first three movies. Dragon Ball Z movies 1-6 were dubbed as well but they were dubbed by the Shanghai Audiovisual Publishing House and that was around 1994 or 1995. Apparently Laoyi dubbing began to decline in 1992 and Chinese dubs began to be recorded in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Of course, we know Dragon Ball's Cantonese dub predates this. I also haven't been able to find any information about Chinese broadcasts of Dragon Ball in the 90s, but fans from the mainland I've spoken to on Reddit seem to be under the impression it aired in the 2000s, which I have found some scheduling info for. The VCD was apparently released in 1997, so the dub had to have been recorded before then, even if it aired later. Channels it aired on, from what little I've heard from other fans were Ningxia TV, Yunnan Satellite TV and Shenzhen Sattelite TV.

Dragon Ball's association with Liaoning is evident but the finer details are quite vague from what I've read. Liaoning People's Art Theatre, from what I could gather was affiliated with the Liaoning TV Production Centre. Liaoning also had a TV department, TV dubbing centre, a Translation department and a Distribution department, so its possible the Chinese dub of Dragon Ball was translated, recorded, produced and distributed to TV networks by various arms of the same company. On some foreign shopping sites I've seen a logo for Liaoning Culture and Art Audio and Visual Publishing House.

Keep in mind Liaoning is a province in China, so all of these companies or arms may not be part of one singular head company. All we can conclude from this is that Dragon Ball once had a history in the Liaoning province.

The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television issued a notice for anime to be banned sometime in the 2000s as well, so that might have put a stop to any Chinese broadcasts of the series. We know Z, GT, Kai and Super were never aired or dubbed in the mainland.

There have also been some screenings of more than just the recent movies in China. According to Box Office Mojo the third Dragon Ball movie was screened on July 29, 2016 and ran for almost half a year. Resurrection F was released later, and premiered at the Beijing Xingmei Cinema on October of the same year. Super Broly was screened in May 2019 and ran over half a year, and also aired on the CCTV6 movie channel (promo is out there somewhere, I should be able to dig it up).

I only know of one user here who is from China, would be nice to hear from others though. I'm open to any additions or corrections to the info I've gathered.

And yes, it would be nice to know if there were any good Chinese resources or Dragon Ball sites. Even just to verify any of this info. If I can find one I'll let you know, but haven't had any luck thus far.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:18 pmHong Kong and Taiwan
These two places in particular would be interesting to hear about too, being that they're the ones that lots of Chinese martial arts movies and puppetry series like Pili (Thunderbolt Fantasy) come out of.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:24 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:32 pmThese two places in particular would be interesting to hear about too, being that they're the ones that lots of Chinese martial arts movies and puppetry series like Pili (Thunderbolt Fantasy) come out of.
Indeed, well I'm sure you know about the 1991 movie The Magic Begins, in terms of the series itself, here's what I've been able to find out from my years of research:

Taiwan

In addition to the mainland Mandarin dub, there is also a Taiwanese dub of original Dragon Ball, not sure when it aired, but possibly in the early to mid 90s on CTV, and later rerun on TTV and GTV. Dragon Ball Z aired between 1997 and 2002 on the Chinese Satellite Channel, which also aired GT, likely sometime after. Dragon Ball Z has two Taiwanese Mandarin dubs, one that covers episodes 1 to 157, and a second dub, which goes from episodes 27 to 291.

The series returned to TTV when the channel ran Kai between January 2011 and December 2012. The Final Chapters followed on a channel called Republic TV Wireless from June until September of that year. All of Kai was rerun on STAR Chinese Movies, the first 98 episodes were rerun in the leadup to the Boo arc.

Super also aired in July 2016 on Republic TV Wireless, although only 52 episodes were aired, the series began on Cartoon Network that August. I'm not sure if it continued until the end or changed to another channel again.

Battle of Gods and Resurrection F got released in Taiwanese theatres on October 25, 2013 and May 1, 2015 respectively.

Tong Li Publishing Company released a Taiwanese edition of the manga between 1992 and 1995, and later the Kanzenban volumes, as well as a bootleg manga from Qingwen Publishing House.

When it comes to home media there was an unofficial Taiwanese VHS of Dragon Ball where it was called "Small Scientific Wukong". The first Taiwanese Mandarin dub of Z was a VCD dub, although ironically the second dub is meant to be easier to find. Battle of Gods was released on DVD in January 2014, and Resurrection F hit store shelves November 2015. Super Broly got a Blu-Ray release in August 2019.

Hong Kong

tinlunlau would be the expert, but here's what I've been able to find out.

Citicomics and Culturecom released different editions of the manga, the former is long out of print.

Bandai-Namco translate the games into Cantonese from Taiwanese scripts, but there's no option to switch between the two options. The anime dubs however, as far as I know are all based on the Japanese version.

TVB Jade produced two Cantonese dubs for original Dragon Ball, a censored (one for TV and an uncut version, which aired on J2), as well as Z, GT, Kai and all 17 original movies. Some movies got two dubs with one being for the home video market, possibly all of them, but I'm not sure. Aiko also produced a laserdisc-exclusive Cantonese dub of GT.

Original Dragon Ball premiered on TVB Jade on Feb 21, 1988 (this was the first time the series was ever seen outside of Japan) on a programming block called 'Dinosaurs Sunday Buffet', the first 54 episodes aired, it went on a hiatus from March of the following year until September. By September Dragon Ball aired on another block called 'Thunder Fax' where every episode was cut down to 15 minutes because of edits.

Dragon Ball Z premiered on October 6, 1991 and was shown at later timeslots than Dragon Ball with less cuts, TVB Jade aired everything from Raditz' arrival until the middle of the battle with Freeza. There were a few more hiatuses for Z, each lasting about a year. The Boo arc aired in May 1996.

GT premiered on July 15, 1998 with the second half beginning the following summer.

Apparently all the series had several reruns but they were finally taken off TVB Jade in August 1999.

J2 ran the previously cut dubs uncut, beginning in October 2011. Kai premiered the following year. Pearl TV aired the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z with subtitles (apparently both Chinese and English, I'm guessing for Chinese they used Cantonese subs, not Mandarin subs).

There was supposedly a huge rental market in Hong Kong, with both dub and sub options for Dragon Ball. I believe Z's final volume, probably on DVD was released sometime in 2005 with a boxset for original Dragon Ball coming out around the same time. Aiko released their dub of GT on home video. The first 3 Dragon Ball and 12 Dragon Ball Z movies had VCD releases, although I'm not sure if they had a different Cantonese dub. The entire TVB Jade Cantonese dub is easy to find on DVD though. Victor Video and Edko Films released Dragon Ball Z movies 1-8 and 9-10 respectively. An unknown distributor also put out VCDs of Z movies 11 and 12. There are also two companies called Hongxeing Video and An-Yue Video although not much is known about them and what they released exactly. Super Broly was released on Blu-Ray around the same time as the Cantonese release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:29 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:24 pm Indeed, well I'm sure you know about the 1991 movie The Magic Begins
I actually don't, but thanks for the additional information on these two markets. I haven't gotten to sit down and finish reading it yet, but it does look interesting.
Wait, scratch that, I have. But I would also like to narrow it down to just the original DB and Z shows in particular.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:46 am

Hong Kong is still waiting for Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. Sony and crunchyroll only had theatrical rights in Hong Kong and no one knows who owns home distribution rights. However the ani-manga version of Super Hero came out late last month courtesy of Culturecom.
The world is your's.

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:41 am

Mr. Popo's statement "make your heart still" is akin to Bruce Lee's phrase "empty your minds," be formless, shapeless, like water. "Be as quiet as the sky, quicker than lightning" is equivalent to "water can flow, or it can crash."

This is indeed the authentic essence of Daoist philosophy, where martial arts are just one external manifestation. It can be applied to all aspects of human existence. Have you noticed that the characters in the DB manga possess a profoundly composed demeanor, much like the discreet vitality (emotional content) Bruce spoke of in the movie "Enter the Dragon"? To attain this state, one cannot rely on conventional thinking; it must be felt, "FEEL". This is the origin of the "Wu" (悟) in Goku's name. The ultimate state we can perceive is "Emptiness," devoid of self, devoid of enemies—everything is undifferentiated, merely appearances. It seems like nothing, yet it seems to contain everything, as exemplified by the "Kong" (空) character in Goku's name.
I know people still prefer external forms, such as the concepts of Yin and Yang, and the Five Elements. So we talk about these.
As we all know, several early protagonists in DB originate from the classic novel "Journey to the West," and these characters correspond to the Five Elements. Sun Wukong corresponds to "Metal," Zhu Bajie corresponds to "Wood," and Sha Wujing corresponds to "Earth." In traditional Chinese medicine, they respectively correspond to the human heart and lungs, the stomach and kidneys, and the spleen that harmonizes the five internal organs. These associations hold practical significance, whether in the context of the story's plot, or alchemical cultivation, or personal health.
Yet, personally, I appreciate the inherent connection between the Dragon Ball manga and Chinese culture.

For instance, China boasts numerous Wuxia novels, yet above them stands a literary masterpiece that rivals even Journey to the West —"Water Margin" (also known as "Outlaws of the Marsh"). Just as DB's panel techniques leave other manga in the dust, the literary craftsmanship of Water Margin far surpasses all other martial arts novels. Consider the meticulous portrayal of scenes, like Goku's over-the-shoulder throw against Great Demon King Piccolo during their battle in the royal palace, in Water Margin, there's a description of "Lu Zhishen uprooting a willow tree," which shares a strikingly similar action depiction. Such expressions of force and realism are rare in other novels and comics.
And the showdowns between Goku vs Vegeta, and Goku vs Frieza, bear a resemblance to the climactic battle in Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master II." This resemblance stems from an intrinsic and rhythmic similarity.

Furthermore, the character designs in DB exhibit an alignment with the spiritual temperament of Chinese calligraphy. Ancient China produced hundreds of calligraphers, each with their unique style, yet there's a common thread—they all pursued an implicit, restrained, harmonious blend of firmness and softness, a natural flowing rhythm. Modern printed fonts have lost this soul, and newest DB characters—be it in illustrations, manga, or animations—no longer carry the essence found in Akira Toriyama's artwork.
For example, the character "水" (Water), was found in the masterpiece "Ode to the Red Cliff" written by the eminent literary figure Su Shi over 940 years ago. This composition, whether in terms of its artistic language, philosophical depth, or calligraphic skill, remains at the pinnacle to this day.

Regrettably, all of the aforementioned examples are rarely seen on Chinese websites. Currently, numerous online platforms in China host a plethora of content related to DB. Some discussions revolve around character power levels and plot intricacies, while others delve into questions like "Why are there so few negative reviews for DB?" They tend to just list all relevant plot points from start to finish and provide superficial and one-sided analyses to arrive at mundane boring and incorrect conclusions. Reading their articles / watching their videos is scarcely more informative than directly consulting ChatGPT. Of course, ChatGPT's accuracy in matters of comic content may not yet rival theirs—at least, not at present.

Because of educational deficiencies,they generate substantial amounts of this subpar content due to a decline in the general population's aesthetic standards, and poor reading comprehension and artistic appreciation abilities. While many of them may recognize that DB is outstanding, they struggle to articulate precisely why. They are disinclined to learn traditional culture—some lack even a clear understanding of poetic rhythm—and they are similarly reluctant to explore contemporary scriptwriting theories and psychological research. The prevailing online culture is characterized by hostility, with individuals adopting positions based on personal preferences and then berating those who hold differing views. There is only one scenario in which neutrality can be seen—when engaging in memes, such as the jesting humiliation of Vegeta and Yamcha.

Another simple reason is the potential financial gain from posting content on the internet. Regardless of quality, as long as a substantial number of LIKEs are garnered, one can generate significant income. In practice, in accordance with the preceding reason, the worse the content, the more LIKEs it tends to receive. Consequently, these individuals, much like Mr. Satan, indulge in sensational performances to attract attention. Clearly, this contradicts the principles of the "Dao," but they remain indifferent. They merely exploit the Franchise of Dragon Ball for financial gain, without grasping the essence of the "Dao" within it.

Additionally, it's regrettable to note that over a decade ago, there used to be high-quality posts on Chinese forums during a glorious period. However, currently, the largest Dragon Ball-dedicated forum (similar to Kanzenshuu) has become completely deserted, and another broader forum (akin to Reddit) has removed earlier posts, leaving only a few elementary school students engaging in verbal spats. Consequently, the forum's reputation has been utterly tarnished. China possesses its own equivalents of Twitter, YouTube, Quora, and TikTok, all containing content related to Dragon Ball. Nevertheless, upon observation, you'll realize that their knowledge of traditional Chinese culture is not even on par with yours. Furthermore, the statements within these platforms are increasingly subject to stringent restrictions.

Therefore, your question is akin to asking the host of the World Martial Arts Tournament, "Is there anyone more formidable than Mr. Satan competing here?" I can only inform you that there once were, but currently, there are none.
https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/f ... 193507.jpg
Don't look at people through a scouter.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:54 am

That's quite the interesting read, it sort of makes me wonder what a particular other user would have to say on the subject, especially considering the cultural links.
I think I can understand mainland China having that kind of problem, though I may need to do more research than the surface level on exactly what the cause of it is, but how about Hong Kong and Taiwan in that case?

Side note: That manga panel text is interesting, from it I learned that apparently Demon King Piccolo is called "短笛大魔王" in Chinese. The first two characters mean something like "Short Flute" just based on my prior experience with them in different contexts (but apparently in Chinese proper it just means Piccolo). This is the kind of material I'm curious to see, if they found good characters to write most of the primarily katakana names in.

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:22 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:54 am That's quite the interesting read, it sort of makes me wonder what a particular other user would have to say on the subject, especially considering the cultural links.
I think I can understand mainland China having that kind of problem, though I may need to do more research than the surface level on exactly what the cause of it is, but how about Hong Kong and Taiwan in that case?

Side note: That manga panel text is interesting, from it I learned that apparently Demon King Piccolo is called "短笛大魔王" in Chinese. The first two characters mean something like "Short Flute" just based on my prior experience with them in different contexts (but apparently in Chinese proper it just means Piccolo). This is the kind of material I'm curious to see, if they found good characters to write most of the primarily katakana names in.
Speaking of character names, it reminds me of a classic issue related to the translation of Yamcha's name. The translation in Taiwan and Hong Kong is "飲茶", which reflects the original meaning of his name. In Taiwan's earliest edition, it was translated as "亞姆" , a transliteration. There's also a Hong Kong version that translates it to "阿樂", a nickname derived from the characters (樂) on Yamcha's chest.
In the earlier popular Simplified Chinese version (Hainan edition), his name was translated as "乐平". "乐" is the simplified character for "樂", meaning happiness, and "平" conveys a sense of peace. This name suits the character's personality and temperament well. Although these 2 characters were once the name of a place in ancient times, their recognition is not widespread, so it can be assumed that this is an original name creation.

Similarly, there's the case of Yajirobe , which is generally transliterated. However, in the Hainan edition, it's translated as "弥次郎兵卫". The naming convention of using "××郎" and "××兵卫" aligns well with Japanese naming customs, while "亞奇洛貝" sounds more like a European name.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:39 am

Y2_O3 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:22 pm Speaking of character names, it reminds me of a classic issue related to the translation of Yamcha's name. The translation in Taiwan and Hong Kong is "飲茶", which reflects the original meaning of his name.
The second character especially even sounds accurate to the pronunciation of the name in JP (since it's actually "Cha" aka tea in that language).
Like with Kuririn who's apparently "小林" where the second character, which would normally be "Hayashi/-bayashi" can also be read as "rin" in JP (although in Chinese it's just "lin").
As with the one you mentioned though, idk how they arrived at the first characters.
In the earlier popular Simplified Chinese version (Hainan edition), his name was translated as "乐平". "乐" is the simplified character for "樂", meaning happiness
Personally speaking, I'm not a fan of simplified Chinese characters at all, and I think JP did a better job at that by comparison, not veering too far from the original characters (and using them where appropriate). Like, this one would be "楽" in the latter.
Of course, I'm not even close to being from Asia so my perspective is completely removed from whatever the situation is in those places.
Similarly, there's the case of Yajirobe , which is generally transliterated. However, in the Hainan edition, it's translated as "弥次郎兵卫".
This in particular looks like what, in JP, would be called Ateji (当て字) where it's just matching parts of a reading to Kanji that can be read that way. But in CN the readings would be quite different as it's a different language. It raises questions as to how it all fits.
Especially when reading Chinese subtitles on JP media where I can recognize certain characters being said.

After seeing shows like Thunderbolt Fantasy, and how attack names have characters that match the JP pronunciations, I also wonder how they do it for DB/Z material, especially for the ones that don't have common kanji renditions.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:57 am

Yamcha was always known as 阿樂 in Hong Kong. I've never heard anyone refer to him as 飲茶 in Hong Kong. It's written on the back of his shirt, lol!

The one name that's always made no sense to me is Kuririn and that's 無閑 (mo-haan).
The world is your's.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:42 pm

https://youtu.be/Erk6rTQ1AMw
https://youtu.be/ZdaxQxQ5_3s

I wonder how people search for this kind of stuff in Chinese and if there are any more uploads like these.
Don't really have the first clue about possible DVD releases though.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:49 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:42 pm https://youtu.be/Erk6rTQ1AMw
https://youtu.be/ZdaxQxQ5_3s

I wonder how people search for this kind of stuff in Chinese and if there are any more uploads like these.
I have links for the entire show dubbed in Cantonese, lol. And yes, if you have VPN, you can watch DBS dubbed in Cantonese on the Viu TV yellow app. But it's just not the same without the TVB dub cast.
The world is your's.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:09 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:42 pm I wonder how people search for this kind of stuff in Chinese and if there are any more uploads like these.
That reminds me of something I read while researching Dragon Ball in China.

On one site a fan claims any Mandarin version he/she watches online only uses the mainland dub for the first 52 episodes and then switches to the Taiwanese Mandarin dub.
This is consistent with what kei17 has said about only the first 52 episodes of the mainland dub being released on VCD and episodes 53-153 being rarer. However I've also read dubbing in the Chinese province where the mainland dub was recorded (Liaoning) began to decline by the late 90s, which may be part of the reason they never got to Z.

With regard to DVDs, one source has said the rise of the home video market in the late 90s didn't help anime and films in general dubbed in mainland China, but actually hurt them.
Teng Kuixing played Mr Popo in episodes 124-129 of the Chinese dub of original Dragon Ball as well as Mr Popo. It is also interesting this person's response indicates a correlation between the quality of dubbing and the age of the acting talent, as over time the veterans dropped out. Jia Lina, who voiced Kuririn and Yajirobe said when dubbing Dragon Ball there were a lot of seniors in the dubbing industry working alongside her, and found it stressful at first but got praised for her work. For anyone interested, the full cast list is here.

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:36 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:09 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:42 pm I wonder how people search for this kind of stuff in Chinese and if there are any more uploads like these.
That reminds me of something I read while researching Dragon Ball in China.

On one site a fan claims any Mandarin version he/she watches online only uses the mainland dub for the first 52 episodes and then switches to the Taiwanese Mandarin dub.
This is consistent with what kei17 has said about only the first 52 episodes of the mainland dub being released on VCD and episodes 53-153 being rarer. However I've also read dubbing in the Chinese province where the mainland dub was recorded (Liaoning) began to decline by the late 90s, which may be part of the reason they never got to Z.
For over a decade now, we've been continuously sharing the complete 153 episodes of the DBOG animation dubbed by Liao Yi, all free of charge. This isn't something uncommon. The difficulty in finding the latter half might simply stem from someone not being adept at online searches. For instance, the website you referenced is a typical example of a defunct site; hardly anyone would go there to discuss matters or share resources. Conversely, other Chinese websites are still actively engaged in daily discussions on DB topics, maintaining a strong level of activity.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:54 am

Y2_O3 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:36 amFor over a decade now, we've been continuously sharing the complete 153 episodes of the DBOG animation dubbed by Liao Yi, all free of charge. This isn't something uncommon. The difficulty in finding the latter half might simply stem from someone not being adept at online searches. For instance, the website you referenced is a typical example of a defunct site; hardly anyone would go there to discuss matters or share resources. Conversely, other Chinese websites are still actively engaged in daily discussions on DB topics, maintaining a strong level of activity.
Oh, that's great to know the dub has been shared. I'll admit that until only a few months back myself and other fans who are interested in international dubs of Dragon Ball have been under the impression the latter part of the Liaoyi dub was lost, but admittedly none of us were active in the Chinese fandom circles specifically.

I also believe outside of China this dub was aired on the Star Times Kung-fu channel with English subtitles in South Africa around 2015/16 which was nice as it means the masters are still out there.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:35 am

I guess you can add this to your database but Vegeta Cantonese dub voice actor Kwok Chi-Kuen has retired from voice acting in 2003 and moved to New York to study stage design and psychology. You have him filed as "Guo Zhi-Quan" which is not wrong but this is Hong Kong and it's probably more appropriate to use romanized approximation from his name in Cantonese.

Found out while checking wikipedia as I watch Yu Yu Hakusho on Netflix.

Oh, and his English name is Jimmy.
The world is your's.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:09 am

tinlunlau wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:35 am I guess you can add this to your database but Vegeta Cantonese dub voice actor Kwok Chi-Kuen has retired from voice acting in 2003 and moved to New York to study stage design and psychology. You have him filed as "Guo Zhi-Quan" which is not wrong but this is Hong Kong and it's probably more appropriate to use romanized approximation from his name in Cantonese.
Wait, what are the original Chinese characters (both traditional and simplified but personally prefer traditional) for reference?

Thanks for bringing the thread back up though. I was wondering about something, how would the internet discourse around DB (and of course a lot of other things too) be if the Great Firewall of China wasn't a thing? Because as it is, according to some of the people from China that I've interacted with online, to access a lot of the mainstream web (YT in particular, even Discord) requires the use of a VPN there.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:04 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:09 am
tinlunlau wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:35 am I guess you can add this to your database but Vegeta Cantonese dub voice actor Kwok Chi-Kuen has retired from voice acting in 2003 and moved to New York to study stage design and psychology. You have him filed as "Guo Zhi-Quan" which is not wrong but this is Hong Kong and it's probably more appropriate to use romanized approximation from his name in Cantonese.
Wait, what are the original Chinese characters (both traditional and simplified but personally prefer traditional) for reference?

Thanks for bringing the thread back up though. I was wondering about something, how would the internet discourse around DB (and of course a lot of other things too) be if the Great Firewall of China wasn't a thing? Because as it is, according to some of the people from China that I've interacted with online, to access a lot of the mainstream web (YT in particular, even Discord) requires the use of a VPN there.
郭志權 (traditional chinese)
The world is your's.