Would a spin-off manga or anime about Yamcha be good?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Would a spin-off manga or anime about Yamcha be good?

Post by super michael » Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 pm

Let say they make a manga or anime about Yamcha as the main character, would that be good?

In my opinion the manga can be about Yamcha as a baseball player. Him playing in tournament playing against other baseball player.
We can see all of Yamcha techniques that we knows in baseball, that he can combine with his knowledge as a Z fighter.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Would a spin-off manga or anime about Yamcha be good?

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 06, 2024 2:02 pm

There is one already, and it is good. It's the "The Time I Reincarnated as Yamcha" manga. It's a different type of animal, it's a fan reincarnated as Yamcha, knowing everything we know and exploiting that to get things done. So, it's not really Yamcha.

A Yamcha spinoff should not be about fighting, I guess a gag manga about a baseball player that is superhuman and uses it to his advantage, but cautiously just to not raise suspicion, not just for the sport but also to get laid, has potential to be entertaining and fun, depending on who writes it.
I would call it "Baseballville".

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Mon May 06, 2024 3:40 pm

super michael wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 pm Let say they make a manga or anime about Yamcha as the main character, would that be good?

Like how Konosuba has a spinoff with Megumin?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 12, 2024 4:41 am

At this point I can't say any story without Toriyama's involvement would be good.

But Yamcha, like enough characters in DB, has the potential to carry his own spin-off story.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon May 13, 2024 1:53 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:02 pm I would call it "Baseballville".
How about Dragon BaseBall?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 13, 2024 6:40 am

Aside from Dragon Garow Lee's That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha?

Sure, anything can be good with the right approach and execution. Prior to the Future Trunks arc and first Super movie everyone laughed at the idea of a story with an evil Goku or anything else featuring Broly and dismissed them as bad fanfictions, but when these storyline came along those fans were thinking "damn this is actually good".

So I am open to any Dragon Ball spinoffs, including a story revolving around Yamcha in any leading capacity. It's surprising what a good writer can do if they have a vision that's genuinely inspired and compelling for the reader/viewer.

The life and times of Yamcha as a baseball player or searching for the woman of his dreams could certainly work if it's well thought out and planned.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 13, 2024 8:37 am

Tian wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:53 am
Koitsukai wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:02 pm I would call it "Baseballville".
How about Dragon BaseBall?
Oh, much better, I'm in.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:31 am

Dragon BaseBall is such an awesome title. Good call, Tian!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 15, 2024 8:12 am

super michael wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 pm Let say they make a manga or anime about Yamcha as the main character, would that be good?

In my opinion the manga can be about Yamcha as a baseball player. Him playing in tournament playing against other baseball player.
We can see all of Yamcha techniques that we knows in baseball, that he can combine with his knowledge as a Z fighter.
I'd like a fleshed out anime of Dragon Garow Lee's manga.