Toyotaro contacting other dragon ball fan creators?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Toyotaro contacting other dragon ball fan creators?

Post by sangofe » Tue May 07, 2024 1:43 pm

https://x.com/TablosAF/status/1786788754910220316

Toyotaro left a comment or liked for Tablos, the original DB AF creator. The latter got contacted by japanese accounts.Could this mean anything for the future of official dragon ball creations? I hope not. If anyone new were to come in I'd rather want professional mangakas for spin offs. Except maybe Dragon Garow Lee and Naho Ooishi. (I don't mean to say Ooishi isn't professional, she just started as a fan artist).
Last edited by sangofe on Wed May 08, 2024 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Toyotaro contacting other dragon ball fan creators?

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue May 07, 2024 2:49 pm

I wouldn't trust what Tablos says, he has a questionable reputation in the Hispanic fandom and has claimed on several occasions without evidence that Toyotaro plagiarized him and has insulted him on occasion.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 07, 2024 3:03 pm

What's Tablos legacy really? I know he drew SS5 Goku in the late 90s, but did he do anything else? like did he come up with some fan-fic like DBM or Toyo's AF?

Was Tablo's SS5 featured on Toyo's AF?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 07, 2024 3:20 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:03 pm What's Tablos legacy really? I know he drew SS5 Goku in the late 90s, but did he do anything else? like did he come up with some fan-fic like DBM or Toyo's AF?

Was Tablo's SS5 featured on Toyo's AF?
Tablos has some amazing art to this day.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 07, 2024 3:34 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:43 pm https://x.com/TablosAF/status/1786788754910220316

Toyotaro left a comment and a drawing for Tablos, the original DB AF creator. Could this mean anything for the future of official dragon ball creations? I hope not. If anyone new were to come in I'd rather want professional mangakas for spin offs. Except maybe Dragon Garow Lee and Naho Ooishi. (I don't mean to say Ooishi isn't professional, she just started as a fan artist).
Some clarifications needed:

I'm don't know the language, so I'm relying on comparing Google Translate and DeepL (which... is not sufficient at all, and thus my asking here): what is Tablos actually saying? You're saying here that Toyotaro "left a comment and a drawing" for Tablos... but I don't get that impression at all. I get the impression that Tablos is saying Toyotaro "liked" a tweet of his (clicked the little heart button)... and beyond that, that's about it. He does also seemingly say that some Japanese creator(s) have privately messaged him encouragement at some nebulous point in time... but doesn't say exactly who that was.

So what's the deal here, and what's actually notable about any of it? Is this just a bit nothingburger?

For those unfamiliar, Toyotaro -- under the original pen name of "Toyble" -- produced a "Dragon Ball AF" fan comic whose entire purpose was to reconcile and put into coherent story form all the various rumors and designs floating out there. This included adapting the Tablos design.

We did a podcast episode about it forever ago, but I'd recommend the more recent We Gotta Podcast episode about it for better retrospective clarity and analysis.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:34 pm what is Tablos actually saying? You're saying here that Toyotaro "left a comment and a drawing" for Tablos... but I don't get that impression at all. I get the impression that Tablos is saying Toyotaro "liked" a tweet of his (clicked the little heart button)... and beyond that, that's about it. He does also seemingly say that some Japanese creator(s) have privately messaged him encouragement at some nebulous point in time... but doesn't say exactly who that was.
The latter. Pretty much.

The repercussion of Toyo's like on X.
The social repercussion of this fact(Toyo's like) has been so big that some japanese accounts have contacted me to let me know the silent influence I have on DB, and encourage me to keep up the good work, even if it isn't officially recognized.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 08, 2024 9:11 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:34 pm what is Tablos actually saying? You're saying here that Toyotaro "left a comment and a drawing" for Tablos... but I don't get that impression at all. I get the impression that Tablos is saying Toyotaro "liked" a tweet of his (clicked the little heart button)... and beyond that, that's about it. He does also seemingly say that some Japanese creator(s) have privately messaged him encouragement at some nebulous point in time... but doesn't say exactly who that was.
The latter. Pretty much.

The repercussion of Toyo's like on X.
The social repercussion of this fact(Toyo's like) has been so big that some japanese accounts have contacted me to let me know the silent influence I have on DB, and encourage me to keep up the good work, even if it isn't officially recognized.
Thanks for the reminder of not posting off of what others say, and when you're in a hurry. I never ment to mislead anyone, but I should have noticed Toyotaro did not contact Tablos. Here is the reason I got confused. The uploader said Toyble "reached out to Tablos":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRHRfXZ ... BlackScape

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 am

M16U3L2015 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:49 pm I wouldn't trust what Tablos says, he has a questionable reputation in the Hispanic fandom and has claimed on several occasions without evidence that Toyotaro plagiarized him and has insulted him on occasion.
Yeah, he's a laughingstock in the hispanic fanbase. They even made a +18 comic to make fun of him.

He claims that Dragon Ball lost its "essence" and tries to "recover it" with his fan drawn characters and stories. The guy's got some kind of complex.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:26 am

Strangely enough, Tablos was involved in getting Toyotaro to collaborate with Dragon Ball in the first place.

Tablos draws a Super Saiyan 5 OC in the late 90s>People think it's Super Saiyan 5 Goku which inspired rumors and fan fictions>Toyotaro made a DBAF fan manga based on old Internet rumors>Toyotaro got hired to work with Dragon Ball Heroes manga>NowToyotaro works on the mainline DB series.

In other words, if he didn't made that one fan image, who knows what things would be like. You can't ignore the fan impact that AF had on DB fans on the web during the 00s.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/