Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 am

I prefer the Japanese cut of the Buu arc to the Final Chapters. In terms of music placement, it goes back and forth for me, but I think the Japanese cut slightly edges it out. I prefer the Japanese opening and ending themes tbh. Kuu Zen Zetsu Go is great. And, while I know a lot of people say the Final Chapters flow better in terms of episodes, I honestly think the Japanese cut fits more to the previous half of Kai more. It's more of a continuation to the previous half than the Final Chapters.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I prefer the Buu arc to the Cell arc.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:47 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I prefer the Buu arc to the Cell arc.
As of now the opposite of this is the unpopular opinion
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 pm

While the Kai 1.0 restoration is overall superior to the Kai 2.0 restoration, there are a couple aspects where the latter is better. Mainly the actual capture process, as IIRC Kai 2.0 doesn't have moments where either dust is visible (especially in black areas) or some areas in the film are lit differently (don't know how to explain it).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 am

I agree with this. I liked Cell as a kid, but in retrospect he's a very generic villain especially when compared to Freeza, Baby and Zamasu. Granted Super Buu was like that, but at least with Kid Buu a villain who is an idiot and knows no better beats one that is evil for the sake of being evil. I also liked the unpredictability of the later Buu arc even if it was a fortunate mistake on Toriyama's part for writing the way he does.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Danfun64 wrote:While the Kai 1.0 restoration is overall superior to the Kai 2.0 restoration, there are a couple aspects where the latter is better. Mainly the actual capture process, as IIRC Kai 2.0 doesn't have moments where either dust is visible (especially in black areas) or some areas in the film are lit differently (don't know how to explain it).
Was that even a problem with later Kai 1.0? I don't think I've ever really noticed those artifacts after Kai's Saiyan Arc.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 pm

I noticed some dust in some of the Goku and Gohan training scenes, especially with Gohan's hair.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Buu is my favorite arc. There's so many great things to it like Sj3 Goku, Majin Vegeta, Mystic Gohan, Buu, MR. Satan, etc. It also had a great cobination of action, comedy and seriousness (is that even a word ?) it was a great way to end the original story.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Unpopular opinion:

I prefer the Cell arc to the Boo arc

Also, Vegeta being portrayed as he was here in the Artificial Human/Cell arc works for me. Arc start--->Arc finish: Believable character arc

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I agree with this. I liked Cell as a kid, but in retrospect he's a very generic villain especially when compared to Freeza, Baby and Zamasu. Granted Super Buu was like that, but at least with Kid Buu a villain who is an idiot and knows no better beats one that is evil for the sake of being evil. I also liked the unpredictability of the later Buu arc even if it was a fortunate mistake on Toriyama's part for writing the way he does.
>Calls Cell generic
>Praises Baby and Zamasu who are way more generic than Cell

Dunno how to feel about this...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:09 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
>Calls Cell generic
>Praises Baby and Zamasu who are way more generic than Cell

Dunno how to feel about this...
How is Zamasu more generic than Cell?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:How is Zamasu more generic than Cell?
He's the typical "God Complex" villain who's been in like a billion of other anime... the only really good thing about him is Goku Black. A villain like Cell on the other is unique especially among the series.

He's the mix-pot of the greatest fighters and as result, he displays several of their personality traits such as Goku's calm demeanor, Piccolo's cunningness, Vegeta's ego, Freeza's faux-politeness and cold unfeeling heart, and the Saiyan's lust for a good fight.

He also had no desire for world conquest or anything material like that, he simply wanted ultimate power and sought out greater purpose once he achieves it.

He truly is the perfect fighting machine.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:He's the typical "God Complex" villain who's been in like a billion of other anime...
Yes, and he's done differently in the sense that the series actively mocks his God complex instead of indulging his batshit insane ideology and trying to give it some kind of merit. That makes him unique already.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:A villain like Cell on the other is unique especially among the series.
Are you saying chimera villains created to be the strongest were never done before?

Also, "among the series", a villain with a God complex was never done in Dragon Ball either.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:He's the mix-pot of the greatest fighters and as result, he displays several of their personality traits such as Goku's calm demeanor, Piccolo's cunningness, Vegeta's ego, Freeza's faux-politeness and cold unfeeling heart, and the Saiyan's lust for a good fight.
So he has nothing of his own?
DBZAOTA482 wrote:He also had no desire for world conquest or anything material like that, he simply wanted ultimate power and sought out greater purpose once he achieves it.
And this is one of the few things that made him genuinely interesting. Too bad the series never bothered to dwell more on his psyche after he achieves his perfect form. Instead, he rages out the moment he starts getting beaten and becomes yet another generic villain with yet another generic mental breakdown.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Doctor. wrote: And this is one of the few things that made him genuinely interesting. Too bad the series never bothered to dwell more on his psyche after he achieves his perfect form. Instead, he rages out the moment he starts getting beaten and becomes yet another generic villain with yet another generic mental breakdown.
I'd actually say that Perfect Cell was at his most fascinating when he completely broke down against Gohan.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Gog wrote:I'd actually say that Perfect Cell was at his most fascinating when he completely broke down against Gohan.
Why? I can't think of anything that sets him apart from Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Boo or Zamasu when they did the exact same thing.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Gog wrote:I'd actually say that Perfect Cell was at his most fascinating when he completely broke down against Gohan.
Why? I can't think of anything that sets him apart from Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, Boo or Zamasu when they did the exact same thing.
Because simply put it was the most interesting aspect to happen to his Perfect Form. I would have preferred if that was made a greater part of his character. Instead of being a smug psychopath hell bent on destroying everything, and having a good time. Maybe he would be obsessed with being better than everyone else. Making the Cell Games to prove his superiority.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I'd even go as far as to say Cell's is the least interesting because the Gohan-Cell character dynamic isn't as interesting and as developed as the one the other villains had with the hero they were facing.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Both ideas for Cell and Zamasu as villains can seem cliché, but it's good execution that makes both villains work. I suppose one could argue that the Cell character has been around longer and probably inspired chimera monsters, but I'll wager someone will point to an older version of Cell in some other story.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:How is Zamasu more generic than Cell?
He's the typical "God Complex" villain who's been in like a billion of other anime... the only really good thing about him is Goku Black. A villain like Cell on the other is unique especially among the series.

He's the mix-pot of the greatest fighters and as result, he displays several of their personality traits such as Goku's calm demeanor, Piccolo's cunningness, Vegeta's ego, Freeza's faux-politeness and cold unfeeling heart, and the Saiyan's lust for a good fight.

He also had no desire for world conquest or anything material like that, he simply wanted ultimate power and sought out greater purpose once he achieves it.

He truly is the perfect fighting machine.
Zamasu was unlike any other villain in Dragon Ball. We've never seen a Supreme Kai go down the tragic villain route, it was a welcome addition to the God mythology in Dragon Ball.

Recycling the key traits of all the main characters doesn't make a villain unique, especially when their central purpose is the standard shonen archetype (i.e. striving to become stronger).

I'm not saying Cell was a bad villain because he wasn't, he's just lacking in the motivational factor that I find elevates villains like Freeza, Baby and Zamasu and brings that little bit more depth to why they are the way they are. Granted Cell is an android so he is limited to how he is programmed, but you can also argue that artificial creations are a dime a dozen in not only anime, but also in action and animated shows in general.

Still, Cell has the best design of any Dragon Ball villain.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Granted Cell is an android so he is limited to how he is programmed...
I wish that were an excuse, but Cell himself seems to suggest that he'd evolved past his original programming after reaching his perfect state. He's uninteresting in spite of having every opportunity not to be.
Retired.