"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:20 am

TheMikado wrote:I doubt half of what was in the anime will be there. We’ve already seen Beerus use the move without thinking technique in the manga and it doesn’t grant him a new form or aura, it’s a legitimate mastery of the technique and I think the manga will follow suit with it being less special and ordinary and people will complain that the manga is boring.
Exactly.The manga will probably treat this whole thing as a technique,as seen by the usage from Beerus.I will gladly take that,since I think that no new forms are needed for Goku and Vegeta,since they can strategically use SS,SSG and SSB,depending on the opponent.

I think it's time for the heroes to improve their movesets and techniques instead of getting new forms.Goku's Hakai and Vegeta's Gamma Burst Flash were some interesting concepts regarding the matter,and this whole mastery of movement will be a welcome addition as well.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I doubt half of what was in the anime will be there. We’ve already seen Beerus use the move without thinking technique in the manga and it doesn’t grant him a new form or aura, it’s a legitimate mastery of the technique and I think the manga will follow suit with it being less special and ordinary and people will complain that the manga is boring.
Exactly.The manga will probably treat this whole thing as a technique,as seen by the usage from Beerus.I will gladly take that,since I think that no new forms are needed for Goku and Vegeta,since they can strategically use SS,SSG and SSB,depending on the opponent.

I think it's time for the heroes to improve their movesets and techniques instead of getting new forms.Goku's Hakai and Vegeta's Gamma Burst Flash were some interesting concepts regarding the matter,and this whole mastery of movement will be a welcome addition as well.
I'm actually hoping the manga is more grounded in technique using Kuzushi
Kuzushi (the art of breaking balance) is also used in jujutsu, where the opponent's attack is deflected using their momentum against them in order to arrest their movements then throw them or pin them with a technique— thus controlling the opponent.
It's going to make a ton more sense if Goku is able to beat Jiren but using Jiren's own power against him and would give Goku a purely defensive technique.
I was actually hoping the "Move without thinking" would generate fights closer to "IP Man"

This is how I feel Goku's new technique should have played out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y04SKwZNjME

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:23 am

TheMikado wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:

Kuzushi (the art of breaking balance) is also used in jujutsu, where the opponent's attack is deflected using their momentum against them in order to arrest their movements then throw them or pin them with a technique— thus controlling the opponent.
It's going to make a ton more sense if Goku is able to beat Jiren but using Jiren's own power against him and would give Goku a purely defensive technique.
I was actually hoping the "Move without thinking" would generate fights closer to "IP Man"

Wow,a very interesting thought indeed.It would be very refreshing to give a main hero some kind of special defensive ability and this can turn out to be just that.

Also,this technique can be used as a counterattacking move just like you said.Goku can take Jiren's own power and turn it against it.That way Goku can beat a GoD level fighter without actually surpassing that level.This will let Goku and Vegeta keep evolving in order to reach their ultimate goal:surpass Beerus.

Man,I totally dig that :clap:
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:08 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote: Exactly.The manga will probably treat this whole thing as a technique,as seen by the usage from Beerus.I will gladly take that,since I think that no new forms are needed for Goku and Vegeta,since they can strategically use SS,SSG and SSB,depending on the opponent.

Wow,a very interesting thought indeed.It would be very refreshing to give a main hero some kind of special defensive ability and this can turn out to be just that.

Also,this technique can be used as a counterattacking move just like you said.Goku can take Jiren's own power and turn it against it.That way Goku can beat a GoD level fighter without actually surpassing that level.This will let Goku and Vegeta keep evolving in order to reach their ultimate goal:surpass Beerus.

Man,I totally dig that :clap:
Me too,i would loved this,of course the people will call the manga boring if they do this
Mostly active on discord.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm

It's pretty obvious from this start that Toyotarõ is going to build up "Ultra Instinct" steadily.

He has Whis saying that once Vegeta masters moving without thinking he can take on anyone. Beerus uses it during the exhibition match with Goku observing. I bet we''ll get glimpses of it throughout the ToP with Goku against other people, like with Trunks in the previous arc and his healing ability which was foreshadowed a few times.

Weirdly I didn't saw people speculating who will win the exhibition match. Make your bets! My bet is Rumoosh, being a Pink humanoid elephant gives you street cred.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

LightBing wrote:Weirdly I didn't saw people speculating who will win the exhibition match. Make your bets! My bet is Rumoosh, being a Pink humanoid elephant gives you street cred.
Liquiir because I want him to win really really badly :cry:.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 pm

LightBing wrote:Weirdly I didn't saw people speculating who will win the exhibition match. Make your bets! My bet is Rumoosh, being a Pink humanoid elephant gives you street cred.
My money is on Beerus for... obvious reasons. :shifty:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 pm

LightBing wrote: Weirdly I didn't saw people speculating who will win the exhibition match. Make your bets! My bet is Rumoosh, being a Pink humanoid elephant gives you street cred.
Outside of the four universes that won't be participating in the tournament; Belmound, to start building up Universe 11 before the Toppo V Goku fight.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 pm

LightBing wrote:It's pretty obvious from this start that Toyotarõ is going to build up "Ultra Instinct" steadily.

He has Whis saying that once Vegeta masters moving without thinking he can take on anyone. Beerus uses it during the exhibition match with Goku observing. I bet we''ll get glimpses of it throughout the ToP with Goku against other people, like with Trunks in the previous arc and his healing ability which was foreshadowed a few times.

Weirdly I didn't saw people speculating who will win the exhibition match. Make your bets! My bet is Rumoosh, being a Pink humanoid elephant gives you street cred.
Belmod seems like a safe bet considering U11 is the antagonist.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:The more breaks, the better. By the time the next main arc comes, we should be having constant good art/animation every episode.
Sentiment like this never ceases to amuse me. We're already over 100 episodes in, and people are still holding out hope for some eventual quality consistency that, even if it does come, will be arriving way too late to meet reasonable expectations.
And? This arc is already very consistent. It's never too late to see an even better change. Comments like these are the ones that amuse me. Try to be positive for once...
Z didn't get better animation until the Buu Saga.

It wasn't bad in Cell saga or android, but I did notice things improved.
How i predict the tournament will end:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:10 pm

LightBing wrote: Weirdly I didn't saw people speculating who will win the exhibition match. Make your bets! My bet is Rumoosh, being a Pink humanoid elephant gives you street cred.
My bet is on vermoud,he is going to win this with his douche bag personality
Mostly active on discord.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Goku didn't just awaken the technique, he also became massively stronger, stronger than Kaio-ken x20 Super Saiyan Blue combined with the Genki Dama he made. The new form he awakened also gave him natural mastery of Ultra Instict.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Goku didn't just awaken the technique, he also became massively stronger, stronger than Kaio-ken x20 Super Saiyan Blue combined with the Genki Dama he made. The new form he awakened also gave him natural mastery of Ultra Instict.
That's not at all what I'm understanding. It says it just awakened his mastery of move without thinking. Not that he absorbed the power of the Spirit Bomb. Nothing is said that he's any stronger than before and the only way we know this is because hes able to tank Toppo and fight Jiren.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Go Lord Belmod!!!!!

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:15 pm

TheMikado wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
That's not at all what I'm understanding. It says it just awakened his mastery of move without thinking. Not that he absorbed the power of the Spirit Bomb. Nothing is said that he's any stronger than before and the only way we know this is because hes able to tank Toppo and fight Jiren.
Agreed. From Herms' synopsis:
Whis explains that Goku is indeed using the Genki-Dama’s energy as a temporary power source for his exhausted body, but the key factor is something else. Namely, struggling to overcome the Genki-Dama’s explosion as its power entered into him triggered Goku to crack through the shell of further possibilities hidden inside himself…or at least, that is what Whis thinks.
I think Whis is being used as the narrator in this scene, so no reason for me to doubt what he says. It still is somewhat unclear, but it seems that he absorbed some energy to provide stamina (independent of achieving the form - and it ran out, which is why he's now hiding). The form wasn't unlocked from absorbing the Genki Dama, but because it inflicted so much damage on him.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:18 pm

As others have mentioned, the "Mastery of Self-Movement" technique is given much stronger foreshadowing in the manga than in the anime, particularly when observing the arc as a self-contained story. Having the Gods of Destruction participate in the exhibition match instead of Universe 7 and 9 also helps push this whole concept further and provide some much needed build-up for when the new form is finally unveiled.

I don't know, it just seems like the manga is off to a tremendously better start so far than the anime for this arc in particular.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:48 pm

TheMikado wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
It was literally said that the Genki Dama restored his lost power, and the clash of his own power with the Genki Dama's power awakened even more dormant power. He didn't just gain faster reflexes, he also became stronger & closed the gap between him and Jiren.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:59 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Goku didn't just awaken the technique, he also became massively stronger, stronger than Kaio-ken x20 Super Saiyan Blue combined with the Genki Dama he made. The new form he awakened also gave him natural mastery of Ultra Instict.
It was literally said that the Genki Dama restored his lost power, and the clash of his own power with the Genki Dama's power awakened even more dormant power. He didn't just gain faster reflexes, he also became stronger & closed the gap between him and Jiren.
No one said anything like that. We know exactly what moving without thinking consisted of when Whis first started talking about it. Now it seems to have been redefined into some kind of potential unlock in order to make Goku as “powerful” as Jiren. It’s been redefined as something else without them stating as such entirely for plot convenience.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:As others have mentioned, the "Mastery of Self-Movement" technique is given much stronger foreshadowing in the manga than in the anime, particularly when observing the arc as a self-contained story. Having the Gods of Destruction participate in the exhibition match instead of Universe 7 and 9 also helps push this whole concept further and provide some much needed build-up for when the new form is finally unveiled.

I don't know, it just seems like the manga is off to a tremendously better start so far than the anime for this arc in particular.
I thought Jiren's introductory scene in the anime was there to foreshadow the technique. Jiren probably has it too, considering how strong he is and how he moves.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:As others have mentioned, the "Mastery of Self-Movement" technique is given much stronger foreshadowing in the manga than in the anime, particularly when observing the arc as a self-contained story. Having the Gods of Destruction participate in the exhibition match instead of Universe 7 and 9 also helps push this whole concept further and provide some much needed build-up for when the new form is finally unveiled.

I thought Jiren's introductory scene in the anime was there to foreshadow the technique. Jiren probably has it too, considering how strong he is and how he moves.
Wasn't the whole "moving without thinking" shtick mentioned as far back as the ROF arc in the Super anime?