"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:31 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 pm
And even though I had fun with the fights and never seemed to me easy or repetitive, I still wonder if we'll ever get past the DEFEAT THIS STRONGER CHARACTER THAT IN THE SHOW IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DEFEAT scenario, I'd prefer a SURVIVE FOR A WHILE VS THIS OP FOE gameplay. Take Ultimate Gohan vs Buutenk for instance, I would like some defensive style-of-play that makes me take a more defensive approach and not just defeat him and then pretend in the following cutscene that he is beating me, when I just beat him. I still enjoyed the hell out of the fights on his arc.
It was sort of possible in Budokai Tenkaichi 3, even though just for a couple of funny sentences.
I would love some form of it to return, it's so annoying when you literally ragdoll an opponent even if you shouldn't, and it's like nothing ever happened or mattered.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

Finally got that Super Finish (and the accompanying trophy), apparently it's easier with bigger beam attacks as well - I wasn't seeming to get it with Guided Kamehameha, but Super Kamehameha got it in pretty short order.

I also remembered a couple of questions I had earlier.

1) You know how you can find Mercenary Tao and Crane Hermit in various places around the world over the course of the story? At one point, you can find them at the crash site where Raditz came to Earth. There, Mercenary Tao is said to be looking for parts to increase the power of his Super Dodon Wave. The Crane Hermit however makes a comment along the lines of 'it feels so good to be more machine than man' or something, seemingly referring to himself, not Tao. So...he's a cyborg now too? He doesn't look it.

2) Out of curiosity, does anyone know how and where anyone who didn't pre-order gains access to Bonyu's training? I pre-ordered so like a lot of us, I just got it given to me once I got to a certain point in the story, but I'm curious how you find it in-game if you didn't pre-order.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am

I remember in BT1, there were plenty of fights when it said “survive.” The enemy couldn’t be defeated (they were locked to go no lower than 1hp) it was really tense cause usually you were really underpowered compared to the opponent and they were pretty fun.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am Finally got that Super Finish (and the accompanying trophy), apparently it's easier with bigger beam attacks as well - I wasn't seeming to get it with Guided Kamehameha, but Super Kamehameha got it in pretty short order.

I also remembered a couple of questions I had earlier.

1) You know how you can find Mercenary Tao and Crane Hermit in various places around the world over the course of the story? At one point, you can find them at the crash site where Raditz came to Earth. There, Mercenary Tao is said to be looking for parts to increase the power of his Super Dodon Wave. The Crane Hermit however makes a comment along the lines of 'it feels so good to be more machine than man' or something, seemingly referring to himself, not Tao. So...he's a cyborg now too? He doesn't look it.

2) Out of curiosity, does anyone know how and where anyone who didn't pre-order gains access to Bonyu's training? I pre-ordered so like a lot of us, I just got it given to me once I got to a certain point in the story, but I'm curious how you find it in-game if you didn't pre-order.
1) Maybe the Z encyclopedia has some additional info about him. I missed my window to have them as soul emblems.

2) I didn't pre-order Bonyu but still got her as a training partner at Capsule Corp after finishing the main story. Android 21 told me that she was found somewhere and by fighting her they could learn more about her.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to unlock the Z support combo attack during fights. I've done it a couple of times but out of pure luck. I know I need to have full surge, full ki, and the support guys need to have their bar full too. Is that it? It looks really cool.

I met Android 17 but I guess I missed my window with him too. I really wanted to have him in my community board.

Also, I've been flying around, travelling, and having a great time. Maybe it's just me but it looks like I'm flying with a FighterZ character through an enhanced XV2 stage. I revived Cell, Dabura, Freeza, King Cold, the Ginyu Force... I'm happy to see that while being level 79, fighting a level 40 mecha, level 50 appule, etc, they last hardly 15 seconds, like they should.

And Vegeta having the armor from BoG (and DBS) instead of the blue, no-sleeves shirt from the Buu arc, makes me anxious for the upcoming DLCs.

Some of the sidequests are really dumb, others are like bad fillers and there are also some that are ok.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Wow, it's post-game if you didn't pre-order? I didn't expect it to be so late in, jeebus.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 pm I was wondering if anyone knows how to unlock the Z support combo attack during fights. I've done it a couple of times but out of pure luck. I know I need to have full surge, full ki, and the support guys need to have their bar full too. Is that it? It looks really cool.
Once you get it built by having them do combo attacks, you just hit L1+R1 on PS4 (not sure what buttons it'd be for other systems) and it'll activate. There should be a little bar that appears above your controls in combat that'll tell you it's ready and what buttons to hit I believe.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 pm

I pre-ordered, redeemed the code before even putting in the disc, and upon launching the game, it said:

"You have received "Early Access: Bonyu." An event will automatically take place once you get past Cell Saga Episode 2."

That... never happened near as I can tell...? I also had the scenario of seeing 21 back at Capsule Corporation and getting the data extraction story, but for me it was post-RoSaT and pre-Cell Games as Goku. I’m wondering if I could have initiated it even sooner, since I did see 21 quite a bit before then (my first screenshot with 21 is with Vegeta in the Badman shirt, but I don’t remember specifically myself if that was the first time I saw her in-game).

So I’m curious when everyone else got the Bonyu quest, too.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 pm That... never happened near as I can tell...? I also had the scenario of seeing 21 back at Capsule Corporation and getting the data extraction story, but for me it was post-RoSaT and pre-Cell Games as Goku. I’m wondering if I could have initiated it even sooner, since I did see 21 quite a bit before then (my first screenshot with 21 is with Vegeta in the Badman shirt, but I don’t remember specifically myself if that was the first time I saw her in-game).

So I’m curious when everyone else got the Bonyu quest, too.
Huh, that's...strange. For me, I got that same scene of Badman Vegeta first being introduced to 21 and the concept of the training room. Then, once the game switched back to Goku for the pre-Anrdoids part of the story (can't remember if that was the driving test that it jumped back to Goku for or something else), I was contacted by 21 who asked me to come see her at Capsule Corp. at Bulma's request. I'm assuming you could then do it whenever after that, but I don't know for sure since I did it right away.
Twitter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm Wow, it's post-game if you didn't pre-order? I didn't expect it to be so late in, jeebus.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 pm I was wondering if anyone knows how to unlock the Z support combo attack during fights. I've done it a couple of times but out of pure luck. I know I need to have full surge, full ki, and the support guys need to have their bar full too. Is that it? It looks really cool.
Once you get it built by having them do combo attacks, you just hit L1+R1 on PS4 (not sure what buttons it'd be for other systems) and it'll activate. There should be a little bar that appears above your controls in combat that'll tell you it's ready and what buttons to hit I believe.
Ohhh so I have to do some combo attacks with them before I can imput L1+R1, thanks. I thought just the bars full were it.

About Bonyu, I thought she'd get at least a side quest or something, not to be just someone you can fight. I guess they fill you in about her in the Z encyclopedia, but still.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm

There is a glitch that let's you free-roam as a transformed character. Apparently, you have to be transformed and transform again at the moment a support character is defeating the last enemy. So if you want to be SS2, you have to turn SS or SS3 when the last enemy is going down.

I tried it once but couldn't do it and forgot about it, but maybe someone wants to give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBvYUMxV1Xw

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 pm There is a glitch that let's you free-roam as a transformed character. Apparently, you have to be transformed and transform again at the moment a support character is defeating the last enemy. So if you want to be SS2, you have to turn SS or SS3 when the last enemy is going down.

I tried it once but couldn't do it and forgot about it, but maybe someone wants to give it a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBvYUMxV1Xw
I tried and it works. You go back to base when changing maps and the glitch only works with the random fights throughout the map, a story or Side mission will revert you to base as well.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:12 pm

So...I may have run into some sort of issue, can't tell. Pretty much every time before I stop playing or before moving on to something else in the game (in this case, the Boo arc), I clear the Z Encyclopedia of all new entries so that they don't register as new anymore. Couldn't help but notice there was still an entry to be gotten on 'Cell (Perfect)'. It's the 'Secrets of Cell (Perfect) 2' entry, which says it should be unlocked by 'completing the main story up to 'Gohan and the Father-Son Kamehameha'.

...I've done that. I've finished the intermission past that point. I'm running around as Gohan on his way to Orange Star High School at this point. Soooo...what gives? Did it glitch and not give it to me? Is the unlock method listed wrong and I get it some other way?

Update: It triggered at last after I finished the first baseball minigame and was taken to Capsule Corp. to become Saiyaman (unlocking the Saiyaman entry in the encyclopedia as well). Still not sure if the game's description of when you get it is just off, or if it was stuck somehow? Be curious to know if anyone else happened to notice this issue or not.
Twitter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:26 am

There really should be a wish for experience or something. Gathering the Dragon Balls becomes pointless after reviving everyone. And if you’re like me, you have way too many Z orbs. Seriously, I have 300k+ of each of the main three and over 100 each of the rare ones.

Also, the Yamcha jokes are just bad in this game. The one CC Tournament side mission honestly just soured me on the game slightly. It was really mean spirited

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:58 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:26 am There really should be a wish for experience or something. Gathering the Dragon Balls becomes pointless after reviving everyone. And if you’re like me, you have way too many Z orbs. Seriously, I have 300k+ of each of the main three and over 100 each of the rare ones.

Also, the Yamcha jokes are just bad in this game. The one CC Tournament side mission honestly just soured me on the game slightly. It was really mean spirited
I agree, the Yamcha jokes were just terrible. It’s not even fun at all anymore. I could get episode 70 of Super joking about Yamcha’s death pose, but that was as far as they should have gone. Everything after it was just bad and tried too hard to sell to the Yamcha meme.
At least the Yamcha’s manga treated the character better, by just focusing on his weakness not as “Yamcha because Yamcha bad and sucks” but because of him being an Earthling.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:59 am

Yeah, some of the treatment of Yamcha in the game is pretty suspect, I have to admit. Easily one of the worst sub-quests to me, at least in terms of the story presented, is one that basically seems to serve only to prove at last that Yamcha 'really is a cheater, see, there he is, cheating, the cheater, stupid cheater!'. And it's like...okay? I get that Toriyama has long said that that's the case, but seeing how little that really fits Yamcha's character, it's the one thing where I pretty much disagree entirely with the original creator.

It almost feels like it's the pendulum swinging back the other direction in a weird meta way too. After Yamcha got a pretty good showing in recent years with FighterZ, a spin-off manga (even if that's not really about Yamcha), and even the most recent Super chapter, now it's gotta swing back in the meme direction with this game. It's a shame because I can feel pretty much every other character in the game being given complete and total respect in regards to the source materials, but Yamcha? Nah, let's just potshot at him. It's bizarre.
Twitter

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am I remember in BT1, there were plenty of fights when it said “survive.” The enemy couldn’t be defeated (they were locked to go no lower than 1hp) it was really tense cause usually you were really underpowered compared to the opponent and they were pretty fun.
I'll always remember the Vegeta vs Kid Buu fight from that game. Survive for 2 minutes when he can destroy you with a couple of moves. :shock:
I enjoyed it though as it felt true to the show, and had the awesome Hurricane Challenger theme from Budokai 3 playing.

BT2 while a much better game, was one of the worst for having you clobber an enemy with minimal effort, only to show your character all beat up in the cutscene. I remember getting a perfect on Raditz with Piccolo.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am I remember in BT1, there were plenty of fights when it said “survive.” The enemy couldn’t be defeated (they were locked to go no lower than 1hp) it was really tense cause usually you were really underpowered compared to the opponent and they were pretty fun.
I'll always remember the Vegeta vs Kid Buu fight from that game. Survive for 2 minutes when he can destroy you with a couple of moves. :shock:
I enjoyed it though as it felt true to the show, and had the awesome Hurricane Challenger theme from Budokai 3 playing.

BT2 while a much better game, was one of the worst for having you clobber an enemy with minimal effort, only to show your character all beat up in the cutscene. I remember getting a perfect on Raditz with Piccolo.
Yeah I remember getting clobbered when I tried to fight him so I ended up just running away. I know BT1 is way outdated now but I really loved that game and would love to go back to it. Most of my memories of the amazing Budokai score are from that game too.

BT2 though yeah I never liked that. If you're supposed to lose, either make the enemy win and still continue the story, or just play as the villian. At least in Kakarot when you beat the enemy who's supposed to be stronger than you, once their health drops to 0 they just appear in front of you again anyway like it didn't do anything.
I was a dumbass and didnt know how to level up the character until way into the story for BT2, so i was fighting lvl 400 enemies with like lvl 10 Goku lmao.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:59 am Yeah, some of the treatment of Yamcha in the game is pretty suspect, I have to admit. Easily one of the worst sub-quests to me, at least in terms of the story presented, is one that basically seems to serve only to prove at last that Yamcha 'really is a cheater, see, there he is, cheating, the cheater, stupid cheater!'. And it's like...okay? I get that Toriyama has long said that that's the case, but seeing how little that really fits Yamcha's character, it's the one thing where I pretty much disagree entirely with the original creator.

It almost feels like it's the pendulum swinging back the other direction in a weird meta way too. After Yamcha got a pretty good showing in recent years with FighterZ, a spin-off manga (even if that's not really about Yamcha), and even the most recent Super chapter, now it's gotta swing back in the meme direction with this game. It's a shame because I can feel pretty much every other character in the game being given complete and total respect in regards to the source materials, but Yamcha? Nah, let's just potshot at him. It's bizarre.
Theres a post game one where Bulma hosts a little tournament between the cast in pairs of two. Goku/Krillin, Gohan/Piccolo, Goten/Trunks and Vegeta/Yamcha. You play as Goku. And of course, when Vegeta loses, he throws a fit and blames Yamcha. Goku agrees with him. Yamcha is crushed and even Krillin is like wtf Goku while everyone laughs. Yamcha just falls to his knees all sad, and then you get a text box that says "everyone went home after enjoying the fights. Except one fighter who was wounded not just physically but emotionally."

I had to save and turn the game off for the night cause it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:00 pm

It seems that the devs corrected 18 and Roshi's clothes at the end of the game:

Dende's size remains the same (as it also happened in the manga and anime), but Videl and Oolong's clothes are wrong.

Well, I don't particularly care if these clothes were wrong, but I thought it was cool that the devs fixed that detail through the updates.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm

If there's one thing I don't like about the combat, it's that I think the revenge value equivalent in this game's a bit too quick. The enemies are too quickly able to react to your combos, which don't help when you use a power-up.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:28 pm Theres a post game one where Bulma hosts a little tournament between the cast in pairs of two. Goku/Krillin, Gohan/Piccolo, Goten/Trunks and Vegeta/Yamcha. You play as Goku. And of course, when Vegeta loses, he throws a fit and blames Yamcha. Goku agrees with him. Yamcha is crushed and even Krillin is like wtf Goku while everyone laughs. Yamcha just falls to his knees all sad, and then you get a text box that says "everyone went home after enjoying the fights. Except one fighter who was wounded not just physically but emotionally."

I had to save and turn the game off for the night cause it just really rubbed me the wrong way.
...Jesus Christ, what the hell CyberConnect? That's just...absurdly mean-spirited, more so than is warranted by any degree. :shock:

Again, it's so mind boggling, because everything else about this game is just so clearly made with love for the universe and characters, but nope, let's just dump all over Yamcha (even worse than usual, holy crap), just...because LOL's? Jeebus.
Twitter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:52 pm

Jeez, even FighterZ threw Yamcha a bone every now and then.