The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sadala Elite
Banned

Re: The Dragonball Misinformation Thread.

Post by Sadala Elite » Sat May 30, 2020 10:42 am

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 am
Sadala Elite wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:00 am

The same Kefla who is far stronger than CSSB Goku/Vegeta and stated by Vados to be unrivaled in the entire tournament, also far stronger than Kale who was stated to be a threat even outside of this tournament; with Vados proclaiming to Champa how this tournament would be the least of their worries with Beserk SS1 Kale around.
None of that points to Kefla being even close to Jiren level (the actual strongest enemy of the ToP arc, and the only one there stated to be above any of the 12 GoDs.)
I dunno about that last part, sounds like Toei fanfiction, but Kefla was stated to be unrivaled in the tournament and believed a single blast was enough to take out both Goku and Jiren. She's definitely stronger than the pre-UI Jiren.
Sadala Elite wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:01 am

Base. Ultimate isn't a transformation, it's a permanent unlocking of one's potential.
Unless Manga Gohan is proven to be able to stack SS1 on top of his new base, the evidence points to Ultimate being a transformation.
:lol: Did you not read the fourth chapter or the Resurrection of F manga? Also what evidence? :lol: Sorry to break it to you, but "Ultimate" has always been nothing more than an unlocking of one's potential, not a transformation.
- Jiren being above GoDs (even when not in full power) was stated in both the anime and manga. YOU are the one making fan fiction. Kefla was never put on that level in either version.

And Kefla believing she could kill Goku & Jiren with a single blast is just her being overconfident, always proven wrong.

"stated by Vados to be unrivaled in the entire tournament"

Which was proven wrong, since she got matched by Gohan in the manga and outclassed by UI Goku, SSBE Vegeta, Suppressed Jiren and (anime only) GoD Toppo lol.

- Your Gohan claims are pure headcanon. If Ultimate is just "base" Gohan the why doesn't he stack SSJ2 on top of it?

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am

Sadala Elite wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:42 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 am
Sadala Elite wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:34 am

None of that points to Kefla being even close to Jiren level (the actual strongest enemy of the ToP arc, and the only one there stated to be above any of the 12 GoDs.)
I dunno about that last part, sounds like Toei fanfiction, but Kefla was stated to be unrivaled in the tournament and believed a single blast was enough to take out both Goku and Jiren. She's definitely stronger than the pre-UI Jiren.
Sadala Elite wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 am

Unless Manga Gohan is proven to be able to stack SS1 on top of his new base, the evidence points to Ultimate being a transformation.
:lol: Did you not read the fourth chapter or the Resurrection of F manga? Also what evidence? :lol: Sorry to break it to you, but "Ultimate" has always been nothing more than an unlocking of one's potential, not a transformation.
- Jiren being above GoDs (even when not in full power) was stated in both the anime and manga. YOU are the one making fan fiction. Kefla was never put on that level in either version.

And Kefla believing she could kill Goku & Jiren with a single blast is just her being overconfident, always proven wrong.

"stated by Vados to be unrivaled in the entire tournament"

Which was proven wrong, since she got matched by Gohan in the manga and outclassed by UI Goku, SSBE Vegeta, Suppressed Jiren and (anime only) GoD Toppo lol.

- Your Gohan claims are pure headcanon. If Ultimate is just "base" Gohan the why doesn't he stack SS2 on top of it?
Jiren was stated to have surpassed Belmod (a GoD that was planning his retirement) in terms of strength alone, nothing about Jiren being stronger than all of the GoDs like some cancelled fanfic says, and ESPECIALLY nothing about him being that strong while not even going all out like you're claiming.

"Muh overconfidence"
Translation: I have no argument against the facts.

Reminder that manga Kefla isn't like turdnime Kefla, she admits when she has lost the battle and failed.

Vados' statement isn't false because Gohan, who was stated to have been holding back (with Piccolo telling him to save his full power for later), managed to surpass Kefla during their battle. Vados saw everyone fought and is an Angel, you're the only one arguing Angels are incompetent and are unable to make simple deductions. Vados stated Kefla was unmatched based on everything seen so far in the tournament, and here's a list of some things that were shown prior to Kefla:
-Jiren vs CSSB Goku and Hit
-Jiren vs CSSB Goku
-CSSB Vegeta vs Toppo
-Golden Freeza vs Kale / Caulifla
-CSSB Goku vs Berserk SS1 Kale
-Golden Freeza vs Berserk SS1 Kale

Stop spreading misinformation, Kefla is SHOWN and STATED to have been unrivaled in the ToP, only for Gohan to surpass her in his base form.

"Why doesn't Gohan stack SS2 on top of his base form"

It's almost like you didn't read the manga at all :lol: first you're claiming Gohan has never been shown to go Super Saiyan while "Ultimate" (even though he does in BoG and RoF) and then you make the argument of "w-well why doesn't he just go SS2?" :lol: he chooses to grow as a human relying on his own abilities, which means not using his Super Saiyan forms for power.

I'm still waiting for this "evidence" of your's. But you have none, looks like that's just another case of misinformation being spread by you.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 30, 2020 11:16 am

First off: again, there is a place for strength debates, and it's not here (also: most of it is "I don't agree with these interpretations of events" rather than legitimate "misinformation"). Second off: you may want to check the attitude. Free warning; please take it.

Cool? Cool!
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:54 am
VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:43 am
Toriyama's credit on the Dragon Ball Super manga is the same credit he received on the Dragon Ball Super television series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMwKJcIK4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWXBCZYvp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PevIIN4DKY

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I don't see "story by: Akira Toriyama" anywhere in the anime. I do see all the people actually working on and writing the story (not Toriyama) being credited though.
Those are all from ending credits, and furthermore, they're all from FUNimation's translated credits.

What you're looking for is in the opening credits (taken here from episode 1):

Which we translated here on the site as:

That's actually MORE GRANULAR than he gets in the manga! The "Story Draft" and "Character Draft" credits almost certainly apply to the fact that he effectively rewrote Battle of Gods and redesigned its characters (which was re-adapted into Super), did in fact write the entirety of Resurrection 'F' and designed its characters (which was re-adapted into Super), and at the point Super was being developed, they knew they were going with Universe 6 stuff and Toriyama designed those characters and plot points and was being consulted on things in general. That all checks out!

So then going over to the manga, here's Volume 1's front cover showing solely the 原作 (gensaku, again "original" or "original work" or "original author" referring to the fact that he is the one who made the franchise) for Toriyama and then "Manga" for Toyotaro, and Viz side-by-side for comparison:

And yep, that's the same as in the serialized chapters themselves (first and recent chapter shown here):

And there's nothing revelatory in the back of the collected volumes; it's actually more vague with them both just being under the 著者 (chosha or "author") header:

(Just to cut it off at the pass, there's literally no difference in the front cover or back page credits in Japanese from volume 1 to 12, even into the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc.)

For comparison's sake, the original Dragon Ball tankobon release doesn't have 原作 at all on the front cover (it's just Toriyama's name alongside the series title), and yet Viz puts "Story & Art by Akira Toriyama" on their translation. They're not wrong, of course, but don't go looking for consistency here.

I don't actually want to get too deep into the weeds on "what in total did Toriyama personally draw, design, draft, rewrite, and suggest" with regard to Super, because that's kind of an endless conversation with no real resolution point because it's not all fully-documented on their end, and we still have plenty to translate from additional interviews.

What I do want to clarify, though, is what credit is actually given, and what it actually means in historical context with the rest of the franchise / how it's been applied before.

EDIT: Just adding a few of those other "gensaku" examples I've mentioned in the past...

Dr. Slump Returns For a Little While where he gets "gensaku" and also 監修 (kanshū which is "Supervisor" or "Editorial Supervisor")... despite not actually working on the series himself!

Episode of Bardock, where he receives the same "gensaku" and "kanshū"; he didn't write it, but he did design Chilled and the Plantians for Ooishi:

The 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special, where he gets "gensaku" but then also (原案 or "original draft") alongside Koyama's own 脚本 ("script"), because he came up with the rough idea for it:

Oh, and Dragon Ball GT, which we know all about!

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 11:40 am

VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:16 am First off: again, there is a place for strength debates, and it's not here (also: most of it is "I don't agree with these interpretations of events" rather than legitimate "misinformation").
I dunno, someone claiming Kefla wasn't stated to be unrivaled and that Vados was incorrect sounds like misinformation. Gotta call them out for spreading misinformation, that's the whole point of this thread after all. But I can see how this discussion is gearing more towards "powerscaling" :think: maybe you should give a warning to the guy constantly bringing up statements about Jiren's power instead of discussing the misinformation being spread about Kefla.
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:54 am
Toriyama's credit on the Dragon Ball Super manga is the same credit he received on the Dragon Ball Super television series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMwKJcIK4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWXBCZYvp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PevIIN4DKY

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I don't see "story by: Akira Toriyama" anywhere in the anime. I do see all the people actually working on and writing the story (not Toriyama) being credited though.
Those are all from ending credits, and furthermore, they're all from FUNimation's translated credits.
:think: Would I be wrong in assuming the Japanese credits are nearly identical to that of FUNimation's (albeit without the credit given to the English cast)? Either way I doubt the Japanese version says "Story by: Akira Toriyama," although I'm opened to being wrong.

Also of course I used the ending credits, that's usually where people who actually worked on the show get credited in-depth. And, as you saw, Toriyama's name is nowhere seen and he received zero credit for working on the concluded anime written by Toei (while Toriyama's story is still on-going).
VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:43 am What you're looking for is in the opening credits (taken here from episode 1):

Which we translated here on the site as:

Remember how you brought up GT? This is the same exact credit he gets in GT, because the original story (not Toei's Super story) is by him.

This doesn't in anyway contradict the fact that Akira Toriyama isn't credited in the place where everyone who actually worked on the anime gets credited, all he does is get a little nod in the opening for writing the original (Dragon Ball) story. :yawn: Toriyama is more involved with the manga than he is with the anime, so what's even the point of this discussion if you agree with this fact?
VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:43 am That's actually MORE GRANULAR than he gets in the manga! The "Story Draft" and "Character Draft" credits almost certainly apply to the fact that he effectively rewrote Battle of Gods and redesigned its characters (which was re-adapted into Super), did in fact write the entirety of Resurrection 'F' and designed its characters (which was re-adapted into Super), and at the point Super was being developed, they knew they were going with Universe 6 stuff and Toriyama designed those characters and plot points and was being consulted on things in general. That all checks out!
Are we just going to ignore how Akira Toriyama created panels, redesigned panels, created text, and edited characters (overall showing a lot more involvement)? Toyotaro / V-Jump doesn't have to plaster that fact all over the DBS manga to get people to read it, unlike they have to do with the anime after learning from GT. :lol:

VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:43 am So then going over to the manga, here's Volume 1's front cover showing solely the 原作 (gensaku, again "original" or "original work" or "original author" referring to the fact that he is the one who made the franchise) for Toriyama and then "Manga" for Toyotaro, and Viz side-by-side for comparison:

And yep, that's the same as in the serialized chapters themselves (first and recent chapter shown here):

And there's nothing revelatory in the back of the collected volumes; it's actually more vague with them both just being under the 著者 (chosha or "author") header:

(Just to cut it off at the pass, there's literally no difference in the front cover or back page credits in Japanese from volume 1 to 12, even into the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc.)

For comparison's sake, the original Dragon Ball tankobon release doesn't have 原作 at all on the front cover (it's just Toriyama's name alongside the series title), and yet Viz puts "Story & Art by Akira Toriyama" on their translation. They're not wrong, of course, but don't go looking for consistency here.

I don't actually want to get too deep into the weeds on "what in total did Toriyama personally draw, design, draft, rewrite, and suggest" with regard to Super, because that's kind of an endless conversation with no real resolution point because it's not all fully-documented on their end, and we still have plenty to translate from additional interviews.

What I do want to clarify, though, is what credit is actually given, and what it actually means in historical context with the rest of the franchise / how it's been applied before.
I mean you could argue about VIZ's interpretation of the text all you want, but that doesn't change what's said in the official English version of the Dragon Ball Super manga. After checking some other languages as well they all (at least all the ones I've checked) say "story (by):" Akira Toriyama, so just like the English release.

There's no need to get into the specifics of every little thing Toriyama has done, all you have to know is how it's officially stated that Toyotaro's relationship with him is a close one, with Toyotaro getting all of his ideas, panels, pages, etc approved by Toriyama himself. Not a single thing in the manga hasn't been seen by or approved by Toriyama.

Can't say the same for the anime that's been concluded....

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:40 am Also of course I used the ending credits, that's usually where people who actually worked on the show get credited in-depth. And, as you saw, Toriyama's name is nowhere seen and he received zero credit for working on the concluded anime written by Toei (while Toriyama's story is still on-going).
Ending credits are for episode-specific staff and change with every episode. Opening credits are for overarching staff that affect the entire series - the series director, the character designer, the music composer, and yes, Akira Toriyama, who provides the outline, which is documented in endless places even beyond this. The opening credits are for the top-dogs who affect the entire production as a whole and will cycle out new people as and when that happens (see: the series director credit changing when necessary). I have no idea what point you're trying to make beyond a strange misunderstanding of the structure of anime production, and some odd desire to push Toriyama's involvement with the anime under the rug because you don't like it.

His displeasure with the early production has no bearing on the level of his involvement. You cannot fix a broken schedule just by saying you're unhappy - time doesn't magically appear out of nowhere, and a single man (who isn't an animator!!) cannot step into a production of hundreds of people like he can with a manga by a single person. That is the only difference.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 30, 2020 11:58 am

And for what it’s worth, I already like (most of) the manga significantly more than (most of) the anime. You don’t have to condescend to me or the anime or people who like the anime to convince me of... whatever it is you’re trying to convince me of. You kinda lost the thread there, "God".
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 am

Ajay wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:40 am Also of course I used the ending credits, that's usually where people who actually worked on the show get credited in-depth. And, as you saw, Toriyama's name is nowhere seen and he received zero credit for working on the concluded anime written by Toei (while Toriyama's story is still on-going).
Ending credits are for episode-specific staff and change with every episode.
Yet not a single episode credits Toriyama :lol: and not neccessarily, a lot of predominant staff and people behind the scenes get credited.
Ajay wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am Opening credits are for overarching staff that affect the entire series - the series director, the character designer, the music composer, and yes, Akira Toriyama, who provides the outline, which is documented in endless places even beyond this.

The opening credits are for the top-dogs who affect the entire production as a whole and will cycle out new people as and when that happens (see: the series director credit changing when necessary). I have no idea what point you're trying to make beyond a strange misunderstanding of the structure of anime production, and some odd desire to push Toriyama's involvement with the anime under the rug.
You do realize that everyone you named and more gets credited at the ending as well, right? The only one missing is Akira Toriyama because, truth be told (this may be hard to swallow), he isn't that involved with the anime. And the same "outline" he provides is universal and not something unique to the anime, unlike Toriyama working directly with Toyotaro and literally creating/fixing panels and text in his story. :lol: If we're talking about who has more involvement, and basing which story is canon on that, the manga wins anytime of the day.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 12:02 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:58 am And for what it’s worth, I already like (most of) the manga significantly more than (most of) the anime. You don’t have to condescend to me or the anime or people who like the anime to convince me of... whatever it is you’re trying to convince me of. You kinda lost the thread there, "God".
Not trying to be condescending, just spreading the facts. Also how did I lose when you're conceding your point and admit the manga is superior to the anime? All you have to do now is agree the manga is the canon continuation (that's still on-going) while the anime is over and has no (current) plans to come back, and we'll be on the same boat completely.

:lol: This is the biggest misconception / misinformation of all; that the anime is canon while the manga isn't.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 30, 2020 12:07 pm

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 am
Yet not a single episode credits Toriyama :lol: and not neccessarily, a lot of predominant staff and people behind the scenes get credited.
Ajay wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:53 am Opening credits are for overarching staff that affect the entire series - the series director, the character designer, the music composer, and yes, Akira Toriyama, who provides the outline, which is documented in endless places even beyond this.

The opening credits are for the top-dogs who affect the entire production as a whole and will cycle out new people as and when that happens (see: the series director credit changing when necessary). I have no idea what point you're trying to make beyond a strange misunderstanding of the structure of anime production, and some odd desire to push Toriyama's involvement with the anime under the rug.
You do realize that everyone you named and more gets credited at the ending as well, right? The only one missing is Akira Toriyama because, truth be told (this may be hard to swallow), he isn't that involved with the anime. And the same "outline" he provides is universal and not something unique to the anime, unlike Toriyama working directly with Toyotaro and literally creating/fixing panels and text in his story. :lol: If we're talking about who has more involvement, and basing which story is canon on that, the manga wins anytime of the day.
This is really embarrassing, please pay attention. No, the series director, character designer, composer, producer, art designer, colour designer, and all the countless opening staff who play a role in the series as a whole are not credited again in the ending. The staff who work on a specific episode are and that changes every episode. That is it. You are swinging so hard to discredit something you don't like, and missing by a mile. Grow up.

Deadtuber.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:07 pm
God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 am

That is it. You are swinging so hard to discredit something you don't like, and missing by a mile. Grow up.
Here are the facts you have still yet to tackle:
1. Toriyama's (minimal) involvement with the anime, and how he's never credited for anything beyond the simple bullet points he gives Toyotaro as well.
2. Toriyama's involvement with Toyotaro vs Toei, how he's went on record stating he lets Toei do whatever they want while working hard with Toyotaro writing the actual canon and more popular continuation to Dragon Ball.
3. How Toriyama being "credited" for writing the original (Dragon Ball) story matters at all and is supposed to be a plus for the concluded anime.

I'm just pointing out how the anime has nothing to stand on when it comes to Toriyama's involvement, and just how absurd it is to claim he's more involved with the concluded* anime than the on-going and canon manga written by his successor.

You can like the anime all you want, just like you can like the movies all you want, but that doesn't constitute anything beyond your personal opinion. When it comes to canon and which has more involvement from Toriyama, the manga wins.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 30, 2020 12:26 pm

In a thread ostensibly about misinformation, the only misinformed one spreading misinformation on this recent topic is you, "God".

There was discussion about the front cover credits, which I clarified with an extensive post about gensaku and its history throughout the franchise (and beyond!). You pivoted and countered with misunderstanding about how credits work, which "Ajay" has corrected you on several times now. You've continued to pivot and turned this into a manga-superior-evangelist tirade, as many often do, because this concept of "canon" is extremely important to them and it's seemingly always a "war" to be "won"; you may want to note that I actively do discuss and share further examples of how terms that may be translated as "canon" have been used.

Please take the researched information presented to you and learn from it, rather than moving the goal post over and over again.

I already like the manga more, which is a completely separate "fact" from how the production of the series works, what terms are used, why they're used the way they are, etc.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 pm

:lol: How come you couldn't respond to my post debunking all of your major points?

God
Banned

Post by God » Sat May 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Respond to the post.
Last edited by God on Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 pm Here are the facts you have still yet to tackle:
1. Toriyama's (minimal) involvement with the anime, and how he's never credited for anything beyond the simple bullet points he gives Toyotaro as well.
2. Toriyama's involvement with Toyotaro vs Toei, how he's went on record stating he lets Toei do whatever they want while working hard with Toyotaro writing the actual canon and more popular continuation to Dragon Ball.
3. How Toriyama being "credited" for writing the original (Dragon Ball) story matters at all and is supposed to be a plus for the concluded anime.

I'm just pointing out how the anime has nothing to stand on when it comes to Toriyama's involvement, and just how absurd it is to claim he's more involved with the concluded* anime than the on-going and canon manga written by his successor.

You can like the anime all you want, just like you can like the movies all you want, but that doesn't constitute anything beyond your personal opinion. When it comes to canon and which has more involvement from Toriyama, the manga wins.
You just keep moving the goalposts. I don't care about Super one way or the other, but you're spouting bizarre misinformation to fit your own personal biases and we don't really do that on this website, especially not in a thread dedicated to snuffing out misinformation.

1. The official credits for Toriyama's work are identical between the manga and the anime, if not even more specific in the anime. External interviews back up involvement in both productions. We explained already why a contribution to a production of many hundreds will obviously be less direct than a production featuring a single person. It's easy to flip these kind of strange assertions on their head, too. Akira Toriyama wrote the entire script of Resurrection F and DBS Broly, neither of which are in the manga beyond passing mentions. You can't just ignore that aspect of the manga while simultaneously spouting off about canon and involvement as defining features of the manga when it is also not a complete story.

2. These are not facts. These are pieces of comments that you are warping out of context to fit your narrative. Again, not what we allow on this forum.

3. I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Toriyama is credited on all things with "Original Story", which refers to actually creating the series. That is very different from the credit of "Story Draft" that he is designated on Dragon Ball Super, which indicates his direct contribution to the series.

There was never an argument here. You were presented facts and ignored them, strangely assuming those trying to point you in the right direction were in opposition to your preferences. All you've done is demonstrate a terrible attitude and total intolerance for anything outside of your preconceived notions. I think it's best you take a month off from the forum to reassess the information this site provides, and how best to conduct yourself on this forum.

Deadtuber.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:48 pm

God wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 am
kei17 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 pm
God wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 pm People still believe "SSJ" is the proper acronym for Super Saiyan / Super Saiya-jin.
Personally I don't see any problems with "SSJ." As a native Japanese speaker myself, I don't consider "Jin" as some sort of a grammatical suffix that should be omitted in abbreviations. Shueisha and Toei mainly use "SS," but it feels like a typical expression of the "Engish is cool" mindset among the Japanese. Also, "SS" doesn't sound nice in historical context.
Use it all you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that “SSJ” is a fan-created term while “SS” is the, as you yourself admitted, the official acronym used for Super Saiya(n/-jin) by Shueisha, Toei, V-Jump, etc. It’s like calling the UI form Goku is currently using in the manga “Omen” instead of Sign, which is the official name.
Using fan terms like UI Omen, Ultra Super Saiyan, etc isn’t misinformation.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Here's a fun piece of misinformation that we can all enjoy:

Funi's dub of the Burdock special alters the script to suggest the reason Freeza wanted to conquer planet Kanassa was to gain the power to read minds. To this end, Burdock gains the power to read minds when the Kanassan gives him the power to see the future.
Reading minds was never a part of the original Japanese version, so this is misinformation.

Another fun piece of misinformation is that Bulma wrote "HOPE!!" on the time machine, though this one isn't solely Funimation's fault, it's actually Steve Simmons' fault; Trunks says, when looking at the time machine Cell travelled in, that "These are the letters I wrote here when I took off", but Simmons rendered it as "These are the letters you wrote here when I took off", with "You" being Bulma. This error was carried over into his Kai subs, and thus was carried over into Funi's Kai script (and similarly, since Z's scripts were based off Simmons' translations, both dubs of Z have this error too). However, the dialogue is correctly rendered in the Viz manga.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pmReading minds was never a part of the original Japanese version, so this is misinformation.
Was there a reason at all in the Japanese version for why they attacked the planet ? It's bad enough to change plot point, but adding new ones is just overkill.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:06 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:57 pmReading minds was never a part of the original Japanese version, so this is misinformation.
Was there a reason at all in the Japanese version for why they attacked the planet ? It's bad enough to change plot point, but adding new ones is just overkill.
The original version had Toma mention that the people of the planet had the ability to see into the future, but there was never any confirmation that Freeza wanted the planet for that reason, and of course, as Robo has said, the original version never had anything about reading minds.

FUNimation’s dub of the Bardock special is probably the most bizarre dub that they’ve made. As much as we all like to harp on FUNimation’s history of punching up the dialogue and getting Goku’s character wrong, the Bardock dub takes the cake in terms of completely changing what the original was about. The Japanese version of the special is all about how you can’t change your own fate, no matter how much you try, while the English version is some kind of weird redemption story.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 30, 2020 1:17 pm

The notion that Dragon Ball would not have succeeded in English-speaking countries without Bruce Faulconer.

On that note we can make a list of misconceptions about what Faulconer brought to the franchise:
- the idea he composed all, or even most of the music attributed to him
- the idea DBZ is so different to OG DB a completely different kind of score was needed
- the idea his score is used in dub seasons 1 and 2 (I've heard this said in reviews for Rock the Dragon, first two Season sets and the levels)
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:06 pm
The implication was that Freeza wanted to steal the Kanassans' power to see the future.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:17 pm The notion that Dragon Ball would not have succeeded in English-speaking countries without Bruce Faulconer.
... And Funi in general. Dragon Ball is a great show that is hardly difficult to market, and when Funi started out, they were a startup with very little experience, and they made some big screwups in the early days (never forget that the first 13 episodes of DB were syndicated in a graveyard slot with poor coverage, and then Funi skipped the next 140 episodes). If another company had got it, and been interested in pushing it at least as well as Funi had, it would have almost certainly still succeeded -- and this is nearly the route history took! Toei had no faith in the startup, encouraging them to take smaller projects (remember, Dragon Ball was kind of Toei's flagship thing in 1994), and I believe US Renditions was the front-runner to get the Dragon Ball license. But, Gen Fukunaga's uncle at Toei convinced the other execs to take a chance on Funimation instead.

Also, while we're talking about the early syndication days:

Toonami did not save Dragon Ball from being a failed, obscure thing that never caught on; once Funi struck a deal for Saban to syndicate the show, it was pretty quickly a huge hit. Saban cancelled it to focus on programming they made more money on; I don't imagine Funi had much difficulty pitching the show around after their success on syndication, so Toonami never took a chance on a failing property and saved it from obscurity, they snatched up an already-popular show.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:17 pm On that note we can make a list of misconceptions about what Faulconer brought to the franchise:
- the idea he composed all, or even most of the music attributed to him
- the idea DBZ is so different to OG DB a completely different kind of score was needed
- the idea his score is used in dub seasons 1 and 2 (I've heard this said in reviews for Rock the Dragon, first two Season sets and the levels)
On a similar note:

The notion that Shuki Levy composed any music for Dragon Ball.
All available information points to Ron Wasserman being the sole composer of the Saban dub's replacement score.
Shuki Levy was always credited for music that Saban provided, but a lot of the time, it was actually composed by one of many independent contractors, such as Wasserman.
(Also, as bonus trivia: Wasserman tried to reach out to Funi about returning to score DBZ after Saban dropped it, but they didn't return his calls)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.