Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:20 am

Catsenti wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:18 am So I've been looking at the steelbooks. I've only ever watched Z via streaming, so would these be a competent enough option for me to buy? I would get the Dragon Boxes but the price of them intimidates me.
That honestly depends on what you're looking for, if you don't mind the DRM or would rather support a release that doesn't have nearly as much of it.

It's also worth noting that the steelbooks only cover the Saiyan and Namek arcs; there's nothing listed for Cell or Buu as of yet.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am

Catsenti wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:18 am So I've been looking at the steelbooks. I've only ever watched Z via streaming, so would these be a competent enough option for me to buy? I would get the Dragon Boxes but the price of them intimidates me.
I think these could potentially be a good option for you.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:25 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:20 am
That honestly depends on what you're looking for, if you don't mind the DRM or would rather support a release that doesn't have nearly as much of it.

It's also worth noting that the steelbooks only cover the Saiyan and Namek arcs; there's nothing listed for Cell or Buu as of yet.
Well I don't think I'll mind the DNR all that much, so maybe this is what I'll go for.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I have the 30th set (which these steel books have a HIGH chance of being) and I am content with them.

I'm watching the 30th set this past week and did take some screenshots.
Image Image Image

Its a mixed bag, but it fixed my biggest complaint (widescreen) so I am pleased with them.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:55 pm

I'd wait and see what other release they come up with next, as this won't be the last one. There are rumors that Toei have been working on their own remaster for the original 3 anime (DB,Z,GT), so you might want to wait for that. If you have to have Z now, then these are by far better than Funimation's other options currently available.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pmI'm watching the 30th set this past week and did take some screenshots.
Its a mixed bag, but it fixed my biggest complaint (widescreen) so I am pleased with them.
This honestly doesn't look anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 pm
I have the 30th set (which these steel books have a HIGH chance of being) and I am content with them.

I'm watching the 30th set this past week and did take some screenshots.
Image Image Image

It's certainly not quite as awful looking as the Season BD's, even with still leaving much to be desired quality wise at least being in the correct aspect ratio helps.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:08 pm

Definitely buying these when they come to Europe. It's gonna be at least a decade until the next version comes up, I don't think I'll be that interested when I'm that old :D

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:19 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:55 pmThere are rumors that Toei have been working on their own remaster for the original 3 anime (DB,Z,GT), so you might want to wait for that. If you have to have Z now, then these are by far better than Funimation's other options currently available.
Geekdom said in his video about these steelbooks there is a TOEI remaster in the works, and that it's taking a long time because they are doing a frame-by-frame remaster. Only time will tell if his sources are correct on this. Maybe in 2024 for the 40th anniversary of the franchise or the anime in 2026, but I don't see expect another release anytime sooner than that, so if anyone doesn't own the series and wants to support it I'd say buy this set, save up in case there's another release and then sell the current one if you need the extra cash. It's also TOEI were talking about who aren't known for giving their series the treatment they deserve, at least in recent years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do their own remaster. We'll see.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:19 pmGeekdom said in his video about these steelbooks there is a TOEI remaster in the works, and that it's taking a long time because they are doing a frame-by-frame remaster. Only time will tell if his sources are correct on this.
Considering they already released the movies, I think it's very likely. In terms of quality, Funimation has lowered the bar so much that anything would be an improvement.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:23 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:19 pmGeekdom said in his video about these steelbooks there is a TOEI remaster in the works, and that it's taking a long time because they are doing a frame-by-frame remaster. Only time will tell if his sources are correct on this.
Considering they already released the movies, I think it's very likely. In terms of quality, Funimation has lowered the bar so much that anything would be an improvement.
I'd be careful tho, they did edit the movies on the physical release (and Buu kai *I'm just mentioning that cause there were no redrawn scenes* and they did scan in filler in HD so who knows if they'll just use those)

As much as I'd love for a proper HD release, if they censor it, it's a no go for me but that's speculation on my part.

Edit: One thing they'll most likely do is release the specials with the series which is something I'd wish FUNi would do (especially since some discs on the 30th set only had a few episodes on them)
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:39 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:37 pmI'd be careful tho, they did edit the movies on the physical release. As much as I'd love for a proper HD release, if they censor it, it's a no go for me but that's speculation on my part.
Certain edits don't bother me (middle fingers, nudity, etc.), so I can look past them. I personally wouldn't get Z, as I simply can't bring myself to sit through it with Kai available (despite its issues), so I'm more interested in DB and GT.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:39 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:37 pmI'd be careful tho, they did edit the movies on the physical release. As much as I'd love for a proper HD release, if they censor it, it's a no go for me but that's speculation on my part.
Certain edits don't bother me (middle fingers, nudity, etc.), so I can look past them. I personally wouldn't get Z, as I simply can't bring myself to sit through it with Kai available (despite its issues), so I'm more interested in DB and GT.
Fair enough :) I do wonder if they would have bothered doing Z if Kai did better. I wonder what they'll do with the GT special?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:47 pmI do wonder if they would have bothered doing Z if Kai did better.

I wonder what they'll do with the GT special?
If Kai did better not only would we have gotten the Buu arc right after Cell, I think we may have gotten OG DB as well.

I'm surprised it wasn't released in Japan outside of the dragon box, as it is everywhere else.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:55 pm This honestly doesn't look anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.
Because the Saiyan arc is crushed to shit, which is the only reason the lines are remotely black. Go a little bit further you and you can enjoy some watery, smeary horse shit.

These sets are garbage. There's no defending them.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:58 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:55 pm This honestly doesn't look anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.
Because the Saiyan arc is crushed to shit, which is the only reason the lines are remotely black. Go a little bit further you and you can enjoy some watery, smeary horse shit.

Now those are really some horrible looking shots but especially the last thee in particular, like about Orange Brick levels of bad.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pmThese sets are garbage. There's no defending them.
Yeah, these do look bad. :oops:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Ajay, are those direct from discs? They look compressed. But i'll be 100% front up, there are issus with the picture quality and there are shots where there is an out of focus look too them. Also there is a hand full of later episodes where the noise reduction canned some of the vocals (japanese track)

To allow people to make an informed decision on this release, I randomly took one disc out of each "season" and randomly took screencaps. The only thing I avoided was the intro/ending.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:51 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:10 am
Kendamu wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:04 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:21 am

I'm too very confused about what you're referring to.
I'm talking about the Level set Blu-rays, but the fact that they also didnt finish the Ultimate Uncut DVDs says something about how this release has a risk of going unfinished.
"This release"? You mean the anniversary set Re packaged? That would be good, actually.
I'd rather Funimation get a track record of finishing their DBZ releases because right now it's kind of sketchy. I don't care whether or not you or I like the release. I just want them to see it through to the end and I want 4:3 DBZ available go the masses so I can just say, "Yeah, buy this one," to folks instead of going on a paragraphs long rant about the pros and cons of each release until they fall asleep.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:54 pm

That first shot with Goku, Yamcha, Krillin and Trunks is so ugly. It looks like their facial details are about to dissolve into their skin :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:19 pm

People shouldn't get their hopes up about Geekdom's rumor of the Toei remaster. I wouldn't be surprised if he just heard from some Funimation employee that a "new remaster" was coming, which was just the 30th Anniversary set, and the "from Toei" part was referring to the 16mm film coming from Toei. And so it all got miscommunicated into "a new remaster from Toei". Of course, that doesn't mean that Toei won't ever do a remaster sometime in the future, but I get the feeling that this Geekdom rumor just ain't it.