"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 pm

While I'm sure we'll see anime adaptions of all these arcs eventually, I do expect them to be very different and updated. They'll likely cover the same story beats and "endgame" of course, much like the anime/manga TOP had the same conclusions, but I expect everything in the middle to be different.

Leaving animation issues of the anime aside, (which is understandable, DBZ had plenty of poorly animated episodes as we all know), the anime gives characters more time to breathe and interact with one another. The manga has a limited number of pages so it always feels like it's rushed to cover the main story issues but that leaves things feeling cramped and no time to explain anything.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:58 pm

precita wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 pmWhile I'm sure we'll see anime adaptions of all these arcs eventually, I do expect them to be very different and updated. They'll likely cover the same story beats and "endgame" of course, much like the anime/manga TOP had the same conclusions, but I expect everything in the middle to be different.
I don't think things will be as different as they were before, but rather they'll add to what's in the manga, such as extended scenes, fights, flashbacks, etc...

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:37 pm

FlpShimizu wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:35 am To me it always sounds like some folks don't like the manga and keep thinking convoluted ways to justify it never being animated. Toei animated two movies which were already animated.

Oh but nothing important happens! Really? With a straight face you tell me Uub, Ultra Instinct, Angel laws, Vegeta's New Powers and an Arc coming directly right after it aren't important?

Toyo is the future of this franchise and the longer you act like kids who either love something or hate it with no in between, the longer you'll keep coming back to read a product you won't ever be happy with. Maybe you should move on to other stuff, this is Dragon Ball and your headcannon won't be considered. Toriyama is on board with what's happening, this will keep going as it is.

To my knowledge, the manga is still based on a basic plot outline.
But it's not the source material itself.

At the moment the outline is a collaboration between Toyotaro, Toriyama and Uchida.
In the first half of Super anime, movies and manga were all based on the same outline, from Toriyama, but at the end with different detail content.
To date there is nothing that proves Toyotaro alone is literary writing the script of a potential future anime.
And that we are going to a classic manga-anime adaptation. No official source to date has backed this up. Definitely not by TOEI or Bandai.

If you look at things from perspective of TOEI ...
The manga going head is a good thing in the sense there are more ideas to take over.
In a sense that's an advantage.
But what added commercial value do they bid to fans all over the world if everyone exactly knows what's going to happen in its detail, and they literary adapt the manga like it were One Piece?

As far as i'm concerned, TOEI may correct, adjust and add as long as the changes improve the storytelling and suspense for the medium anime. It's always nice to have one cohesive version of the story, but i'm afraid that boat left us long ago.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:58 pm
precita wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 pmWhile I'm sure we'll see anime adaptions of all these arcs eventually, I do expect them to be very different and updated. They'll likely cover the same story beats and "endgame" of course, much like the anime/manga TOP had the same conclusions, but I expect everything in the middle to be different.
I don't think things will be as different as they were before, but rather they'll add to what's in the manga, such as extended scenes, fights, flashbacks, etc...
That’s what I am hoping. The same but different story was just a bad idea to me. Because now there are like alternate versions of the same story and you can’t even say which is the right one

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Kinokima wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:58 pm
That’s what I am hoping. The same but different story was just a bad idea to me. Because now there are like alternate versions of the same story and you can’t even say which is the right one
Having alternate versions of the same story was a bad idea. Now they have the chance to correct their mistake it and get back on track by having a cohesive story across both mediums, from the GPP arc onward.

Hopefully they won’t waste this opportunity. The best deal would be for Toei to expand the fights, and add some stuff but otherwise adapt the manga’s story as it is.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:01 pm

By now, I expect Toei expands a little upon Moro's background, adding more than just the last 5 minutes of his initial rampage. Maybe hitting Toriyama up and getting a few pointers regarding the goat's past.

Expanding the fights, too, yes, perhaps more of Vegeta on Yadrat, maybe introduce OG73's background based on what the manga might be introducing in the new arc, more Merus and Goku, Saganbo vs everybody. Some "closure" for Vegeta with the namekians, an interaction or something. But being faithful to the manga, not rewriting it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:01 pm By now, I expect Toei expands a little upon Moro's background, adding more than just the last 5 minutes of his initial rampage. Maybe hitting Toriyama up and getting a few pointers regarding the goat's past.

Expanding the fights, too, yes, perhaps more of Vegeta on Yadrat, maybe introduce OG73's background based on what the manga might be introducing in the new arc, more Merus and Goku, Saganbo vs everybody. Some "closure" for Vegeta with the namekians, an interaction or something. But being faithful to the manga, not rewriting it.
That's what the anime has already been doing anyway. The arcs in the anime have way more background, slice of life scenes, and all around the characters are given way more screentime than in the manga.

And before I get crucified, I don't mean that the anime is better than the manga, just that they made different choices. It's pretty obvious that Toyotaro speed-rushed things while Toei took their time, and you can decide which approach is better.

It's a concept similar to what Boruto is doing, where the manga speed-rushes things to the main fights, while the anime gives the much-needed background information and character interactions/development necessary to enrich the story.

Also I don't understand why some people here act like it's only Toei's fault if the anime does mistakes... I'm pretty sure Toriyama was involved heavily in the anime. If the anime made mistakes, it's on Toei and Toriyama both.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:11 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:01 pm By now, I expect Toei expands a little upon Moro's background, adding more than just the last 5 minutes of his initial rampage. Maybe hitting Toriyama up and getting a few pointers regarding the goat's past.

That's what the anime has already been doing anyway. The arcs in the anime have way more background, slice of life scenes, and all around the characters are given way more screentime than in the manga.

And before I get crucified, I don't mean that the anime is better than the manga, just that they made different choices. It's pretty obvious that Toyotaro speed-rushed things while Toei took their time, and you can decide which approach is better.

It's a concept similar to what Boruto is doing, where the manga speed-rushes things to the main fights, while the anime gives the much-needed background information and character interactions/development necessary to enrich the story.

Also I don't understand why some people here act like it's only Toei's fault if the anime does mistakes... I'm pretty sure Toriyama was involved heavily in the anime. If the anime made mistakes, it's on Toei and Toriyama both.
Toyotaro doesn’t speed rush things he is only given a certain amount of pages each month

A weekly anime is able to expand on things because it has more time to do so. That is why it is also the same with Boruto

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:11 pmIt's pretty obvious that Toyotaro speed-rushed things while Toei took their time, and you can decide which approach is better.
Ordinarily I'd agree with the general point that the manga's pace is quicker than the anime's because its storytelling is more compressed - I think that's unarguable, and I agree that which approach is preferable is beside the point.

However, I can't imagine how that might apply to the Moro arc. It's an arc structured with a massive delaying loop at its heart: it speeds to a small initial confrontation on Earth specifically so that it can delay that confrontation (both main and ancillary) for another two months.

I'm sure one could de-compress the arc further by expanding one or another of the sub-plots, but I can't imagine the audience sitting back and going "yep, that's the right pace - the manga's problem is that it was just too rushed".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:11 pmIt's pretty obvious that Toyotaro speed-rushed things while Toei took their time, and you can decide which approach is better.
Ordinarily I'd agree with the general point that the manga's pace is quicker than the anime's because its storytelling is more compressed - I think that's unarguable, and I agree that which approach is preferable is beside the point.

However, I can't imagine how that might apply to the Moro arc. It's an arc structured with a massive delaying loop at its heart: it speeds to a small initial confrontation on Earth specifically so that it can delay that confrontation (both main and ancillary) for another two months.

I'm sure one could de-compress the arc further by expanding one or another of the sub-plots, but I can't imagine the audience sitting back and going "yep, that's the right pace - the manga's problem is that it was just too rushed".
The Moro arc was significantly longer than other arcs in the manga but it is also a monthly manga. Once it gets adapted to a weekly anime I actually think they will get through it pretty quickly if stuff isn’t expanded on

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:49 pm

Kinokima wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:33 pmThe Moro arc was significantly longer than other arcs in the manga but it is also a monthly manga. Once it gets adapted to a weekly anime I actually think they will get through it pretty quickly if stuff isn’t expanded on
I agree that this is the case on its face - I've seen it said that it could probably be adapted on a "1 Chapter:1 Episode" kind of basis, which would make for about half a year's worth of content, which isn't that much.

But my issue is more one of pacing than simply output - the Moro arc's pacing is already arguably its single biggest narrative defect, so I guess I'd just question the desirability, from a storytelling perspective, of padding it out with extra stuff, no matter what plot element one selects for the extra content.

I suppose the characterisation of each member of the Saganbo Bandit Brigade could stand more content, but the question would remain as to why the viewer should care enough about them to want it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:29 pm

I don't think Moro arc will be animated any sooner, not cuz Broly retold arc will come first, but also because I have the feeling Toei might do their own thing and I think it's fine for them to do so.

emperior wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:06 pm Toyotaro’s manga has aged much better than the anime.
Please, both are terrible. If people complained about the unbearable pace of this arc in the manga, imagine it in the anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:38 pm

I hope Toei does do its own thing. I enjoyed having two different versions of each arc.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:05 pm

Chuquita wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:38 pm I hope Toei does do its own thing. I enjoyed having two different versions of each arc.
Me too.

Maybe Toei reads this forum and will make the changes we suggested 😂

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:19 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:05 pm
Chuquita wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:38 pm I hope Toei does do its own thing. I enjoyed having two different versions of each arc.
Me too.

Maybe Toei reads this forum and will make the changes we suggested 😂
Well different people want different things so you should be thankful that Toei isn’t reading this forum

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:23 am

Well we certainly do not need a whole episode for each Earthlings’ fight against the prisoners (and if it sounds dumb remember that the Tournament of Power had such episodes).

But if they could come up with a few more gags, and add more scenes showing Goku and Vegeta training for the final confrontation, extend the main fights a little bit with great animation and add more scenes to the final celebration after Moro’s defeat... then these are the kind of additions I would like to see.

Even in Z I always like to see the few episodes they added before the arrival of the androids, or the extra scenes showing Goku and Gohan training together in the room of time. That’s my ideal kind of filler.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:58 pmI don't think things will be as different as they were before, but rather they'll add to what's in the manga, such as extended scenes, fights, flashbacks, etc...
My foolish hope is that they just do a straight adaptation, not unlike what DBKai/DBZKai purports to be. I can do without the anime muddying things up with its nonsense. This arc was already bad; it can't take the anime making it worse.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am

I kinda hope they go
Filler
Broly
Filler
Moro with new filler
Filler
Survivor
Filler

This will let the manga get way ahead, which it should.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:18 am

TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am I kinda hope they go
Filler
Broly
Filler
Moro with new filler
Filler
Survivor
Filler

That would be terrible... they really shouldn’t retell Broly and commit the same mistake they did in 2015.

The fact they have been waiting all this time without releasing a new anime should at least be a good sign it will begin with Moro once it comes back.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:35 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:18 am
TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am I kinda hope they go
Filler
Broly
Filler
Moro with new filler
Filler
Survivor
Filler

That would be terrible... they really shouldn’t retell Broly and commit the same mistake they did in 2015.

The fact they have been waiting all this time without releasing a new anime should at least be a good sign it will begin with Moro once it comes back.
Retelling Broly would allow for more of the early Saiyan stuff which was the best part of the film bardock could change armors and confront Freeza more closely. To fix continuity.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.