"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DevilKing99 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:13 pm

The Manga is a major thing right with even websites supporting its releases

Also Of course the anime will cover this arc and the Moro one, even if there were to adapt the manga they would add there own spins to things like it always does, it was just reported that the anime one piece will cover much more of the Oden flashback with Oda's blessing for example.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:33 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 am
emperior wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:07 am
But this doesn’t mean the manga is promotional.

I'm afraid it is.
What is it promoting right now? Nothing, there is no anime, therefore it is no longer promotional. The manga used to come out after the anime, it didn't contain complete story arcs and was supplemental to the anime, but it's evolved into a stand alone thing that has complete story arcs contained within its pages.

I meant, everything is more franchise storyline thesedays than hardcore canon storyline.
There is no clear one and only storyline anymore, that's purely there because of creative reasons.
I wasn't aiming at the DBS manga alone specifically here.

More DB is being made not because a new story needs to be told, but to sell more of everything that's related to the franchise.
BOG was intended by Toriyama, as a one last time tribute for the fans. But everything thereafter was mainly because of commercial reasons.
Because DB still seemed to be that popular after all those years, the franchise had to capitalize on that.
Many ideas, Goku Black, Broly ... these days are wistled in the writers ears by marketers because they are popular.

Don't get me wrong. Don't see this as an attack on the DBS manga, anime, Heroes and games or anything new that comes from Dragon Ball franchise.
That does not mean some of these modern stories aren't actually worthwile reading or watching.
I have actually enjoyed some but not all moments of Super.
My impression however is that sometimes too much fanservice is being used, because the franchise is playing it a little too safe.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 pm

As a fan, I wouldn't mind Dragon Ball, or Toei in general being bought by Disney, or some other media giant which would almost guarantee more anime stuff sooner, than later.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 pm

Psajdak wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 pm As a fan, I wouldn't mind Dragon Ball, or Toei in general being bought by Disney, or some other media giant which would almost guarantee more anime stuff sooner, than later.
No thanks.

Why do so many people want companies to buy each other so bad, especially Disney?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:09 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 pm
Psajdak wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 pm As a fan, I wouldn't mind Dragon Ball, or Toei in general being bought by Disney, or some other media giant which would almost guarantee more anime stuff sooner, than later.
No thanks.

Why do so many people want companies to buy each other so bad, especially Disney?
Disney did do some amazing things with Marvel, and a lot of the Star Wars stuff they've made is great, although they did drop the ball with Rise of Skywalker. It would be interesting to see what they would do with Dragon Ball, I could see them buying FUNimation if Sony hadn't done so already.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:15 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 am

I'm afraid it is.
What is it promoting right now? Nothing, there is no anime, therefore it is no longer promotional. The manga used to come out after the anime, it didn't contain complete story arcs and was supplemental to the anime, but it's evolved into a stand alone thing that has complete story arcs contained within its pages.

I meant, everything is more franchise storyline thesedays than hardcore canon storyline.
There is no clear one and only storyline anymore, that's purely there because of creative reasons.

More DB is being made not because a new story needs to be told, but to sell more of everything that's related to the franchise.
BOG was intended by Toriyama, as a one last time tribute for the fans. But everything thereafter was mainly because of commercial reasons.
Because DB still seemed to be that popular after all those years, the franchise had to capitalize on that.
Many ideas, Goku Black, Broly ... these days are wistled in the writers ears by marketers because they are popular.

Don't get me wrong. Don't see this as an attack on the DBS manga, anime, Heroes and games or anything new that comes from Dragon Ball franchise.
That does not mean some of these modern stories aren't actually worthwile reading or watching.
My impression however is that sometimes too much fanservice is being used, because the franchise is playing it a little too safe.
That was true of the original manga as well, the main goal was always to make money, not tell stories.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:45 am

ZodiacBeast wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 pm No thanks.

Because as I said, that means there will be almost certainly more content to see, especially anime.

In reality, no matter what they say, I'm sure that majority of Star Wars, and Marvel fans are overjoyed with the fact that Disney is so active.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:15 am

That was true of the original manga as well, the main goal was always to make money, not tell stories.

The original manga maybe dured longer than originally planned because of its success.
And Toriyama did include some fanservice he originally may not have planned.
But it was still a clear story written and intended by one author from beginning to ending.
It was clear which medium the source material was and which medium the adaptation.
With Super there is no clear source material, apart from the basic plot outlines.

If the main purpose of the revival was to tell one exact story, why didn't the franchise appoint the manga as source material from the beginning, and based the anime and movies on that one-and-only legit source?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 am

The original manga maybe dured longer than originally planned because of its success.
But it was still a clear story written and intended by one author from beginning to ending.
No it wasn't, Toriyama's editor played a huge role in the development of Dragon Ball and would have Toriyama change things to suit what he felt their audience would want to see. For example he's the one responsible for the story transitioning from an adventure story into a martial arts fighting manga, and he got the idea from seeing how popular Fist of the North Star had become. He wanted to make Dragon Ball similar and cash in on the fighting manga popularity so he had Toriyama completely change the style of the manga.
It was clear which medium the source material was and which medium the adaptation. With Super there is no clear source material, apart from the basic plot outlines.

If the main purpose of the revival was to tell one exact story, why didn't the franchise appoint the manga as source material from the beginning, and based the anime and movies on that one-and-only legit source?
Originally the manga was an afterthought created as a commercial for the anime, but it's become the primary medium for the story. While Toriyama isn't drawing the manga, he is writing the plot and has complete control over it, nothing gets done without his approval.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:44 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:09 am

No it wasn't, Toriyama's editor played a huge role in the development of Dragon Ball and would have Toriyama change things to suit what he felt their audience would want to see. For example he's the one responsible for the story transitioning from an adventure story into a martial arts fighting manga, and he got the idea from seeing how popular Fist of the North Star had become. He wanted to make Dragon Ball similar and cash in on the fighting manga popularity so he had Toriyama completely change the style of the manga.
It was clear which medium the source material was and which medium the adaptation. With Super there is no clear source material, apart from the basic plot outlines.

Originally the manga was an afterthought created as a commercial for the anime, but it's become the primary medium for the story. While Toriyama isn't drawing the manga, he is writing the plot and has complete control over it, nothing gets done without his approval.

Editors always have had their role to play.
They did back then, as they did now. In every story.
But at the end there was still one clear version of the story, designed by Toriyama and his editor.
Everything else was mere adaptation.

That argument does not really count as every story has an editor.
That's something radical different than Toyotaro and TOEI making all the detailed storyboards and different versions of the same story.
The second part of the original manga was stretched to its upper limits because fans always wanted more.
But we did at least end up with one cohesive story.

I agree that the latter part of the original did serve a commercial purpose as well, and integrated some fanservice.
But it was nowhere nearly as strongly commercially driven as it is now.
Were Cell or Buu as major antagonists whispered in Toriyamas ear by marketeers?
I believe Goku Black and Broly were.
There is a much more refined marketing strategy behind this all these days as it were in the 90s.
Not one editor, but multiple marketeers are constantly thinking along.

Btw if the manga was chosen to be the 'primary medium' after the Super anime ended: why does 'Broly' not even have a descent manga counterpart to date?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:48 pm

Sometimes I wonder though do those in charge of making decisions really understand what fans want

Yes I think they understand Broly and Gogeta and an exciting new form like UI is popular. While I may not always agree with adding so much fan service at least I get why they might add these elements

But do they really think fans want Goku and Vegeta to always wear the same outfit, for Goten and Trunks to never age. To have everything feel like it’s stuck in a time loop, never changing. It’s things like this where I do wonder if they understand what fans truly want.

Who are they even marketing too? Children or fans who are older who grew up on the series?

Even the merchandise seems stuck in a time loop where you mainly get the same characters merchandised in the same poses over and over. I just wanted one nice figure of Goku and Vegeta in their coats from the Broly movie. Instead we get a million figures of Full Powered Broly in literally the same exact pose.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 pm

I wish Goku and Vegeta had new outfits each arc. Those Galactic Patrol outfits from the covers were a big tease. I hope they get something new for Granola, but I doubt it. They got to change outfits, subtle or not, in Z with each arc.

I wish they'd let Trunks and Goten age too; they don't even use them much in Super so where is the harm of aging them? It's not like Gohan who was much more prevalent and got to age. It should in theory be even easier to age them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:12 pm

Disney already owns Dragon Ball in some sense. 20th Century Fox made DB Evolution and owned the rights to distribute all DB films. Fox was bought out by Disney in the last couple years. Disney already distributed DBS Broly. I'm not saying they have their hands in the Dragon Ball Room, or that they even could (I'm not an expert on this stuff and it's complicated), but just saying...

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:27 pm

Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 pm I wish Goku and Vegeta had new outfits each arc. Those Galactic Patrol outfits from the covers were a big tease. I hope they get something new for Granola, but I doubt it. They got to change outfits, subtle or not, in Z with each arc.
In all fairness, Goku and Vegeta's outfits were updated with the Galactic Patrol logo last arc. That is a subtle change, though I wish Vegeta at least had kept the Yardrat fashion for his final bout with Moro.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:27 pm
Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 pm I wish Goku and Vegeta had new outfits each arc. Those Galactic Patrol outfits from the covers were a big tease. I hope they get something new for Granola, but I doubt it. They got to change outfits, subtle or not, in Z with each arc.
In all fairness, Goku and Vegeta's outfits were updated with the Galactic Patrol logo last arc. That is a subtle change, though I wish Vegeta at least had kept the Yardrat fashion for his final bout with Moro.
That's true; the logo does count. There were arcs where Goku just changed the symbol on his clothes. The Yardrat outfit would've been nice.

I guess I'm just anxious for some kind of more prominent visual marker for the passage of time in DB.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Chuquita wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 pm
Yuji wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:27 pm
That's true; the logo does count. There were arcs where Goku just changed the symbol on his clothes. The Yardrat outfit would've been nice.

I guess I'm just anxious for some kind of more prominent visual marker for the passage of time in DB.
While the logos count I also feel they are a symptom of a larger problem. They could have done something more but didn’t want Goku and Vegeta out of their normal clothes so did the bare minimum. But I think most fans would have loved to see them in completely different outfits for the arc.

Vegeta in the Yadrat outfit was great though but it was way too short.

I do like when Toyo draws Goku and Vegeta in human clothes

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Would be cool to see Goku fight in the farming outfit for example, like if he was caught in something much like Vegeta was in Buu arc, as you can’t fight in armor on tournament so he got stuck in his training clothes for the whole arc... or, I liked how Gohan fought in his tuxedo in GT, that was interesting. Things like that. The Z clothes are done to death and I am fan of Goku having different gi at the Z/manga epilogue. I was hyped for the Ressurection F clothes, for them to just ditch them for no reason and going back for the old clothes.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm like Vegeta was in Buu arc, as you can’t fight in armor on tournament so he got stuck in his training clothes for the whole arc...
Wait that'a the reason Vegeta's clothes were like that for the entire Buu Saga?! I never realized :lol:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:18 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm like Vegeta was in Buu arc, as you can’t fight in armor on tournament so he got stuck in his training clothes for the whole arc...
Wait that'a the reason Vegeta's clothes were like that for the entire Buu Saga?! I never realized :lol:
The entire Buu arc took place in only 2 days, with Vegeta dying a few hours or so after the tournament, and being brought back for the final battle. There was no time to change his outfit.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:40 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:18 amThe entire Buu arc took place in only 2 days
Bro...

Think I saw someone saying the same thing recently but I forgot to post this. Where does this misconception that "Majin Buu saga takes place in just two days" come from?
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~