Curse of the blood rubbie rare dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Curse of the blood rubbie rare dub

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:44 am

Couldnt find the other thread so instead of digging it up, I made a new one.
It's pricey but another one got listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254867971464

I have a dvr to digitize it but not the funds to buy it at the moment :( so I'll pass it along here.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Curse of the blood rubbie rare dub

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:51 am

Damn, the bid is climbing fast.
She/Her
πŸ‰πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:53 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:51 am Damn, the bid is climbing fast.
I was tossing around the idea of a group buy but have no idea how that would work. I topped out at 200

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:00 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:53 am
I was tossing around the idea of a group buy but have no idea how that would work. I topped out at 200
Yeah, every time I bid someone automatically out-bids me. Fuck. I'd like to buy a copy so the fandom can preserve it.

I know Joe's copy was lost. I can't remember if anyone ever managed to rip it, though.
She/Her
πŸ‰πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:19 am

Read up on the story of the lost tape and it's tragic, seems like the moral of the story is "never ever use FedEx" over USPS to ship something in the mail.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:13 am

I am the top bidder right now, I have a professional digitization set up, and plan to preserve the video and the tapes hi-fi audio. I also have plans to do a restoration using the hd footage and this audio if I win the tape. I dont want to say too much and break the rules but yes these would be 'released'

This is my youtube channel if youd like to see a sample of my preservation work, youtube compression does kill quality though. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKk7az ... _pg/videos

Also joe's tape was digitized, someone posted it a ddl on twitter last year

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:20 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:00 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:53 am
Yeah, every time I bid someone automatically out-bids me. Fuck. I'd like to buy a copy so the fandom can preserve it.

I know Joe's copy was lost. I can't remember if anyone ever managed to rip it, though.
Don't bid any further. Someone with professional VHS/LD set ups is the current highest bidder and will do the tape justice.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:17 pm

dragonmagico wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:13 am I am the top bidder right now, I have a professional digitization set up, and plan to preserve the video and the tapes hi-fi audio. I also have plans to do a restoration using the hd footage and this audio if I win the tape. I dont want to say too much and break the rules but yes these would be 'released'

This is my youtube channel if youd like to see a sample of my preservation work, youtube compression does kill quality though. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKk7az ... _pg/videos

Can confirm that this guy's setup is legitimate and that if he wins it it'll get properly digitized and shared with the community. I've seen his high quality VHS and LD rips and have used them in projects that you may or may not be aware of. Can also confirm the existence of the lower quality rip of Joe's tape that was made before it got lost since it's sitting on my hard drive right now. It would be great to see this properly digitized at high quality, however.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:15 pm

I did not get it, some mad lad paid over $1500 for it at the last second. Id still be willing to help preserve it if the winner is reading this though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm

I don't get it. What's so rare about this?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:30 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm I don't get it. What's so rare about this?
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/dif ... oku-again/

It's a preliminary/test version of the movie done in 1994, the first thing FUNimation ever would have produced, still using some of the Harmony Gold names and other additional name changes that were not present in the final/retail version released the next year.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 pm

ikaos wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:17 pm
dragonmagico wrote: ↑Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:13 am I am the top bidder right now, I have a professional digitization set up, and plan to preserve the video and the tapes hi-fi audio. I also have plans to do a restoration using the hd footage and this audio if I win the tape. I dont want to say too much and break the rules but yes these would be 'released'

Can confirm that this guy's setup is legitimate and that if he wins it it'll get properly digitized and shared with the community.

Legitimate in what way? What I can see on that channel are just a bunch of low quality 480p videos resized in a wrong aspect ratio, poorly deinterlaced, and converted from 29.97fps to 30fps to make them jumpy for no reason.

Anyway, I hope someone adequate won the tape.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:18 pm

It's YouTube compression, I've seen the non compressed versions of his work and used them in my projects, which I know you're aware of, and it's a legitimate recording setup. Anyway we didn't get it, so I assume it will live sealed in some hoarders house forever.

privatetl516

Post by privatetl516 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 pm

kei17 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 pm

Can confirm that this guy's setup is legitimate and that if he wins it it'll get properly digitized and shared with the community.

Legitimate in what way? What I can see on that channel are just a bunch of low quality 480p videos resized in a wrong aspect ratio, poorly deinterlaced, and converted from 29.97fps to 30fps to make them jumpy for no reason.

Yeah, I hope you're adequate enough.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:21 pm

I sent a message to the seller asking them to let me know who the buyer was, hopefully they'll respond.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Venny

Post by Venny » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm

kei17 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 pm

Here are some raw screenshots from his Laser Disc transfer of Dragon Ball Z Movie 1. As you can see it looks fantastic and even has raw 380 kbps AC3 audio directly from his player. He isn't some random dude transferring back old LDs from his dad's attic with no experience like you seem to want to portray him as

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:29 am

ikaos wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:18 pm It's YouTube compression
YouTube's video compression does not change the aspect ratio and frame rate. It's just that the uploader didn't know what they were doing.

Venny wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm
Here are some raw screenshots from his Laser Disc transfer of Dragon Ball Z Movie 1. As you can see it looks fantastic and even has raw 380 kbps AC3 audio directly from his player. He isn't some random dude transferring back old LDs from his dad's attic with no experience like you seem to want to portray him as
Toei's Laser Disc release has no Dolby Digital audio on it, though. It's got only Linear PCM and analog FM tracks. In the first place, logically there's no reason for it to have AC-3 audio which was only used for movies screened with Dolby Digital Surround audio at theaters. They must've got something wrong or mistakenly assumed that the compressed audio output from the capture device was the raw digital data transferred from the discs or something like that. Also, though these screencaps look good, they're shown in a wrong aspect ratio.

Venny

Post by Venny » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 am

kei17 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:29 am
ikaos wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:18 pm It's YouTube compression
YouTube's video compression does not change the aspect ratio and frame rate. It's just that the uploader didn't know what they were doing.

Venny wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm
Toei's Laser Disc release has no Dolby Digital audio on it, though. It's got only Linear PCM and analog FM tracks. In the first place, logically there's no reason for it to have AC-3 audio which was only used for movies screened with Dolby Digital Surround audio at theaters. They must've got something wrong or mistakenly assumed that the compressed audio output from the capture device was the raw digital data transferred from the discs or something like that. Also, though these screencaps look good, they're shown in a wrong aspect ratio.
Aspect ratio doesn't matter if it simply can be cropped in post. Also the laser discs have 4:3 extras and trailers and is the reason it's letterboxed throughout the movie. Not to mention Toei's logo at the beginning of the disc is uncropped 4:3. The raw digital audio track is very poorly mixed. Voices/sfx come out of one ear while music plays in both channels. The analog track is mixed far better and is much better for a watching experience than having poorly mixed digital PCM and is what Toei used for their Blu-Ray audio.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:06 am

I wonder who got it in the end.

Given the fact it went for $1500, I'm guessing a speculator bought it as an investment/collectors' item, knowing how much it went for in previous auctions.
Venny wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm Here are some raw screenshots from his Laser Disc transfer of Dragon Ball Z Movie 1. As you can see it looks fantastic and even has raw 380 kbps AC3 audio directly from his player. He isn't some random dude transferring back old LDs from his dad's attic with no experience like you seem to want to portray him as
Those can't be raw screenshots unless there's resizing built into the ripping process, which would be very bad; standard NTSC video should be 720x480, not 720x540 as those screenshots are.

You said in your next post that the video can be cropped; that's not the problem here, the videos on the guy's YouTube channel don't show the letterboxing in the screenshots you're showing.
Venny wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm The raw digital audio track is very poorly mixed. Voices/sfx come out of one ear while music plays in both channels.
That's not a mixing error, it's deliberate, and it's a good thing. The left ear is the complete audio mix of the movie, in the highest quality it has ever been presented in (primarily because it's lossless unlike DBox, and it doesn't have the awkward noise-removal techniques from the Blu-ray), while the right ear is a music-only mix.

If the Laserdiscs were transferred competently, these two tracks would be captured losslessly, and then presented as two mono tracks. (Remember that most of the movies were mono only)

This is different for Z movie 13 and the 10th anniversary movie, which were mixed in stereo. Interestingly, the approach the Laserdiscs take there is that the digital track is music-only, while the analogue track is the finished mix of the movie (but it's pretty definitely lower quality than the Dragon Box DVD audio).
Venny wrote: ↑Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 pm The analog track is mixed far better and is much better for a watching experience than having poorly mixed digital PCM and is what Toei used for their Blu-Ray audio.
The analogue track is, I'm pretty sure, a bit distorted and generally poor in quality, and is inferior to the Dragon Box DVD audio, even though that DVD audio is lossy.

As for it being "what Toei used for their Blu-ray audio", I find this assertion baffling. I was under the impression Toei transferred the cinetape sep-mag masters of the movies' audio for use on the Blu-ray (just like they previously did for these Laserdiscs, and for the Dragon Box movies).

Finally, whether you captured the digital or analogue track, capturing it to AC3 is a poor choice, as it's still a lossy conversion of a source that originally had no digital compression at all. It's akin to creating a preservation of a rare Beatles demo tape by saving it to a 192kbps MP3.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 am

Venny wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 am
kei17 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:29 am Toei's Laser Disc release has no Dolby Digital audio on it, though. It's got only Linear PCM and analog FM tracks. In the first place, logically there's no reason for it to have AC-3 audio which was only used for movies screened with Dolby Digital Surround audio at theaters. They must've got something wrong or mistakenly assumed that the compressed audio output from the capture device was the raw digital data transferred from the discs or something like that. Also, though these screencaps look good, they're shown in a wrong aspect ratio.
Aspect ratio doesn't matter if it simply can be cropped in post. Also the laser discs have 4:3 extras and trailers and is the reason it's letterboxed throughout the movie. Not to mention Toei's logo at the beginning of the disc is uncropped 4:3.
By aspect ratio, I am not talking about the letterbox.

Venny wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 amThe raw digital audio track is very poorly mixed. Voices/sfx come out of one ear while music plays in both channels. The analog track is mixed far better and is much better for a watching experience than having poorly mixed digital PCM and is what Toei used for their Blu-Ray audio.
They are not poorly mixed. There's an L/R channel mono audio option in every Laser Disc player that comes with the Linear PCM playback feature, which is mostly for bilingual contents. Toei included a music-only track on the right channel as a bonus feature, and you are supposed to turn on the mono sound option during playback. And again, Toei Video's Laser Disc release does not contain Dolby Digital audio, so you or the one digitized it must have gotten something wrong.