Where and how do you read Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Where and how do you read Dragonball?

Post by Mireya » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:46 pm

Do you read it physically? Digitally? Through Viz? Or maybe a good manga site that has the series? On your computer, smartphone?

I own all the physical manga volumes, but I generally use Tachiyomi on my smartphone and read it online either in Portuguese or in English. Very easy. Don't mind reading in the cell phone either, actually find it cool, but a tablet would be the ideal.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Re: Where and how do you read Dragonball?

Post by nineko » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:21 pm

I use the official Shonen Jump app on my Android phone to read Dragon Ball Super (and several other mangas) in English.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:29 pm

I've only ever read it on my phone and tablet's, I've just always used the Kindle app on them. I tried writing the VizBigs when I was younger, but I really hate reading paper books...so, it's always just been the Viz tankobon's, as I think that's the only release digitally, besides maybe the full colors ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:52 pm

The Viz app and its price point is so convenient it might as well be free.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:02 pm

I pick up the manga volumes as they're released physically.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:08 pm

In the Viz official website, seeing that I am up to date then I can read the latest chapter for free.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:41 pm

I don't love reading manga digitally, so I bought the VizBigs for my first readthrough of the original series and did the same for whatever was out physically for Super (I think it was either mid-ToP or the beginning of Moro at the time). I put up with the digital chapters once I finished everything available physically since I was doing the same for One Piece after I caught up with the anime. Once I finally went to the eye doctor and got glasses earlier this year, though, I found reading digitally to be much easier than before (surprise surprise). I still prefer print, though, and pick up the physical volumes as they come out.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:38 pm

I have the physical versions of the original and DBS manga, but I usually read the new chapters of the DBS manga online, on a DBZ site that also has every single TV episode uploaded... I also google other DBS manga sites so I can compare translations, because while the site I use releases the chapters ASAP, the translations aren't always that accurate.

It's also easier to re-read previous chapters online, they are one click away compared to going to my shelf and grabbing a comic book out from a pile of books.

SorikaiWolf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SorikaiWolf89 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:40 am

With classic Shonen Jump series like Dragonball and other favorite manga series of mine I’ve always preferred the physical single volumes and the omnibus volumes

If a manga series interests me enough or if it’s an absolute must have then I’ll buy the physical manga from eBay or Amazon
I’m definitely an old fashioned physical media buyer for sure with the occasional digital download of videogames

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:27 pm

I read it digitally on my ereader (non-kindle) it's close enough to reading paper and I can take it anywhere.