Piccolo's Magical Powers (Clothes, Hourglasses)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Piccolo's Magical Powers (Clothes, Hourglasses)

Post by B » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:27 am

Where do they come from? It'd make sense to say he was a demon, but turns out he's an alien. All Namekians have the ability to produce inanimate objects? Perhaps since King Piccolo was not aware of his alien heritage, he picked up some magical techniques during his rampage on Earth, and retained them when he was reincarnated?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 am

Maybe they're godly powers? After all, GOD is their other half. 8)

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:56 am

Well, the creation of Dragonballs is magical too, and we see Dende doing that, so I think it was in Kami's blood.
For the clothing and other stuff to go, It's probably a thing left from his time as a Demon in Dragonball. He extends his limbs, grows, and grows back limbs.
And then Kami gives Goku new clothes after the 23rd Budokai. Like "HA!".
Piccolo and Kami spoke the same language, which should mean that they both still know things from their lives as the Son of Katatt.
Some abilities they both got when they split, and some they got for themselves (Kami as a Dragonball creator and Piccolo as a fighter).

Out-of-Dragonball-wise I would say that he could do that out of convenience for the author.
Toriyama could just draw him without torn clothes when giving him that ability.
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

I think all nameks have abilities a litlle abnormal. Kind of magical really. I think that they can control their ki in ways that others races can`t. Not just to fight but for other usefull stuff. Like creating clothes, creating dragon balls, healing others... Etc.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:27 am

I've always considered Ki and magic to be two different things in Dragonball.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 pm

I`ve always considered them different ways of using ki or energy.

However some races (or even individual beings) have to ability to channel their energy into ways others can not.

Therefore some use their energy more efficently for direct combat, while other use it in different ways.

Case example, Guldo from the Ginyu Force... He was able to use his energy in very uncommon ways which made him less focused on direct combat efficency however.

Goku`s ability to transport himself in space by using a technique seems pretty magical to me... However it`s just him using his ki in a diferent way. That doesn`t mean that everybody and every race can do it though.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:11 pm

We never saw Daimao do this, so maybe Piccolo learned it himself..

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Piccolo always has a "godly" part to him. Either he's a full-on demon, a reformed "not quite" demon with demon powers, or half previous God and half previous demon.

I always considered the things we don't see other people do to be magical. Goku never used the "Clothes beam!", while Kami and Piccolo did. They're magic, Goku's not.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm

B wrote:Where do they come from? It'd make sense to say he was a demon, but turns out he's an alien.
Being an alien doesn't change the fact that he was a demon, despite what the dub would make you believe.
Captain Awesome wrote:I've always considered Ki and magic to be two different things in Dragonball.
I think one of the Daizenshuu says that the difference between ki and magic is that ki techniques use your own latent energy, exhausting you if you use them too much, while magic doesn't (probably somehow commands a different, ambient spiritual energy).

To be honest, I've never been 100% sure whether Piccolo's matter generating powers were magic or ki based. I mean, I'm sure you could do it with either if you knew how.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Which beckons the question: can Cell use the clothes beam?

Dun DUN DUN!!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Which beckons the question: can Cell use the clothes beam?
And if so, does he choose to be nude?
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Dun DUN DUN!!!
If he can, he clearly doesn't feel the need to use it, despite walking around naked. XD

I always found Piccolo to have some of the most creative powers/skills.

EDIT: Ah, I was beaten to the punch. ^^;

I think Cell's choice to walk around nude probably comes from is Goku genes. Maybe Freeza's genes too. Freeza was naked when he fought Goku.

Wow that sounds unnecessarily uncomfortable. o_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Weird alien/mutant things feel no shame. o_O

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think Cell's choice to walk around nude probably comes from is Goku genes. Maybe Freeza's genes too. Freeza was naked when he fought Goku.
And Goku took off his shirt to fight him. So...yeah.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Bussani wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I think Cell's choice to walk around nude probably comes from is Goku genes. Maybe Freeza's genes too. Freeza was naked when he fought Goku.
And Goku took off his shirt to fight him. So...yeah.
Oh, SO relevant.

Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:21 pm

B wrote:Image
Oh god, that's getting on the Yamucha Densetsu sometime soon.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:27 am

That is one hauntingly-looking Freeza.

The art style looks like Speed Racer. o_O;

And, I have no idea exactly HOW to reply to that doujinshi.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:02 am

Ahhh, Freeeza x Goku hentai. 8)

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:26 am

Sprite Satan wrote:
And if so, does he choose to be nude?

He could be a naturist and go visit the nudey beaches and naked holiday camps. :P
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 pm

I think I remember Kami-Sama giving Gokou clothes during the 2rd Budoukai, so I'd venture a guess that it's got something to do with the god aspect of the relationship, rather than the demon one. I also don't think that being a demon in the DB-verse means you can't also be an alien...I mean, Earthlings can be humans or talking anthropomorphic animals, so DB logic is kinda screwy that way. Yeah, Kami/Piccolo are technically Namekseijin, but if you think of a 'demon' as a 'devil', as in the opposite of a 'god', then it's not necessarily Piccolo Daimaoh's race so much as a distinction. At least that's how I think of it.

Besides, in a series where all aliens happen to speak the same language and seem to have the ability to fly/shoot energy beams, who would really question Piccolo's ability to magically spawn objects? :P

-Edit after seeing the disturbing Doujinshi-

...Um, wow. I actually think I've seen a page or so of that on /b/ before, but not the whole thing...that's...i-interesting. Still, it's refreshing to be reminded that 4chan recognizes other DB memes besides OVAR NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe