Can Saiyans breathe in space?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JBoogie

Can Saiyans breathe in space?

Post by JBoogie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 pm

I say no but my friend says yes. He says that Bardock did when confrontinf Frieza and Vegeta and Nappa did when surround Arlia. But thats just filler and Bardock wasn't to far out from the planet. He say's Goku could have survived the destruction of Namek without a spaceship if he would have known, even though Frieza, the former "ruler" of the Saiyans, as well as King Kai, said he could not. I think my friend is just showcasing stupidity, but there's no use argueing with him, I just wanted to make sure for myself.
" I know the odds are against me, but if there's a way to win, I'm gonna find it!
-Goku

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own."
-Solid Snake

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:35 pm

No, Saiyan's can't breath in space. It's just pointless filler.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38 pm

Saiyajin definitely need to breath. Goku can't breath underwater. I suppose a Saiyajin could stay in space if they held their breath and used their ki to protect themselves somehow...but this doesn't necessarily work with Bardock's case, because he was talking up there.

Like you said, he was probably still close enough to the planet or something.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Short answer no. Long answer no.

Those scenes you mentioned were filler.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 am

They were probably up in Planet Vegeta's upper atmosphere, or something. We know Freeza doesn't need to breathe in space, but I doubt ALL of those alien henchmen have the same advantage over Saiyans.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:They were probably up in Planet Vegeta's upper atmosphere, or something. We know Freeza doesn't need to breathe in space, but I doubt ALL of those alien henchmen have the same advantage over Saiyans.
A planet with ten times the gravity of Earth would have either a small, dense atmosphere or be a gas giant. Planet Vegeta obviously isn't the latter and Bardock is too far out for the former.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 am

Freeza's ship air-locking energy field? o_o.

Ahem. The answer is, as it is every other month, "no".
... Was the manga flashback of Bardock ... not-spaceish? (Or was it inside Freeza's ship's air-locking energy field? :P )
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:52 am

Rocketman wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:They were probably up in Planet Vegeta's upper atmosphere, or something. We know Freeza doesn't need to breathe in space, but I doubt ALL of those alien henchmen have the same advantage over Saiyans.
A planet with ten times the gravity of Earth would have either a small, dense atmosphere or be a gas giant. Planet Vegeta obviously isn't the latter and Bardock is too far out for the former.
This thing you call "science" has no meaning here.

Either way, wasn't it stated in the Freeza Arc that Saiyans can't breathe in space? Or am I remembering a dub line?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am

Casual Matt wrote:Either way, wasn't it stated in the Freeza Arc that Saiyans can't breathe in space? Or am I remembering a dub line?
Yes and yes. Hence Freeza's blowing up the planet with confidence.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am

Casual Matt wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
This thing you call "science" has no meaning here.

Either way, wasn't it stated in the Freeza Arc that Saiyans can't breathe in space? Or am I remembering a dub line?
Nope, that's definitely in there. Freeza says that Goku can't breath in space. I think the guy's friend might have just thought Freeza was lying or something, since Bardock apparently did it.

The flashback in the manga was only 2 panels long, and not very conclusive. You can see that they're high above the planet at least.

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:34 am

I asked a similar question a few months ago. In the end, it was agreed that Bardock was still just within the atmosphere of Planet Vegeta, thus he could still breathe. His Saiyan heritage would more than likely help him survive, communicate and fight during this scene. For reference, here's the panel in the manga which shows Bardock "in space":
http://www.daizex.com/general/tidbits/i ... anga_1.jpg

Oh, and the Arlia episode was simply filler. Your friend doesn't know squat :P

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 pm

ACCloud wrote:I asked a similar question a few months ago. In the end, it was agreed that Bardock was still just within the atmosphere of Planet Vegeta, thus he could still breathe.

For reference, here's the panel in the manga which shows Bardock "in space":
That's higher than the space shuttle is when it orbit Earth. There is no air up there.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:04 pm

I've always said that it was more of a flashback scene than a direct frame of the events, seeing the most important things as if they were next to you no matter where they actually were at the time.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Rocketman wrote:
ACCloud wrote:I asked a similar question a few months ago. In the end, it was agreed that Bardock was still just within the atmosphere of Planet Vegeta, thus he could still breathe.

For reference, here's the panel in the manga which shows Bardock "in space":
That's higher than the space shuttle is when it orbit Earth. There is no air up there.
Then what do you think is the case?

Personally, I just accept that there was some air up there, because otherwise I'd have to believe that Saiyans can survive without oxygen, which is said to not be the case.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:34 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:Then what do you think is the case?
Toei knows as much about space as Toriyama knows about genetics.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Then what do you think is the case?
Toei knows as much about space as Toriyama knows about genetics.
How dare a cartoon for children not have high quality realistic genetics and space analysis!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Freeza's ship... made... air. Or something.

The manga panel can be handwoven away, the TV special is Toei silliness anyway so nothing it shows matters.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:51 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:How dare a cartoon for children not have high quality realistic genetics and space analysis!
How come I get that response, but the people spouting a "scientific" excuse like "the upper atmosphere" don't?

In any case, I'd settle for knowing:

1. There's no sound in space.
2. What "recessive" means vis a vis genetics.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Rocketman wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:How dare a cartoon for children not have high quality realistic genetics and space analysis!
How come I get that response, but the people spouting a "scientific" excuse like "the upper atmosphere" don't?
I personally don't respond because I don't know what they mean by "the upper atmosphere." In any event in a world where the fucking moon can be blown up more then once without any geological defects and time travel is possible obviously ignoring our worlds time and space rules. I wouldn't be surprised if Dragonball's space did have an upper atmosphere (whatever that may contain.)

I think it's stupid to apply real world physics, genetics and whatever else to Dragonball, the show where Goku once flew up to the moon to put an angry bunny who turned people into carrots so he could make sweets for all the good little boys and girls.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:07 pm

I personally believe that the panel in the manga didn`t want to make us believe that bardock was that high and that far from the planet.

It just wanted to show us bardock and planet Vegeta.

However, when they did the series and the movie of bardock they took the litteral meaning of that panel.

If that was not the case, then maybe he was still close enough to the planet to not suffocate. Sayan are way more tougher than humans.
Last edited by rereboy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.