Is Z as strong as Son Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:05 pm

So, you could consider dub lines a legit part of the series as well? It's a lisenced dub...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Some people do. That's their deal.

I just try to not take my fandom to such an asinine and pathetic level that an answer of "(blah blah blah) because Toriyama didn't write it" would even have to come into play.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Dai wrote:It's not about enjoyment. It's about denying something's even part of the series. Which is just plain silly.
It's part of the ANIME series, yes, but NOT the manga. Someone who only partakes in the manga has every right to make said claim since GT doesn't take place in it. Nor does anything else that "Toriyama didn't write". Nobody's saying GT doesn't exist in any form or way, just that they don't consider it canon because Toriyama didn't write it. You all know that. Stop acting holier than thou because ppl who phrase it in a certain way get on a certain webmaster's nerves. :roll:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:33 am

*waits for EX to say something like "Don't write 'ppl,' it's people*
<_<

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:32 am

To me, GT isn't part of either cannon, Manga or Anime. Not just because I'm not a fan but because it simply can't fit into either. There is the Anime DB Universe, there is the Manga DB Universe, and there are the Movie DB Universes. The anime is based on the manga and the movies based on the Anime. The anime is anime cannon, the manga is manga cannon and the movies are movie cannon. They're related only in ideas, characters, and plots.

As for the original topic... I have no real comment. ^^;
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:08 am

Dayspring wrote: It's part of the ANIME series, yes, but NOT the manga. Someone who only partakes in the manga has every right to make said claim since GT doesn't take place in it.
Exactly... So we agree on everything.

Just, uh... Don't try to sound like you disagree with me while everything in your post is basically in occurence with what I said. It comes across rather oddly.

And besides that, I'm an idiot for even replying to this and I apologize for contributing to this incredibly needless and silly discussion. Stuff likes this makes me feel dirty and sad. Sad panda.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:47 pm

...can't we all just decide it's up to the reader/watcher to decide? There's no clear-cut "part of the story/not part of the story." So...it's up to you. I personally don't care.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:09 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote:Aye, no one forces you to watch GT. XD
Ah, but I was forced into it by the entire community, who had to discuss it endlessly along with the rest of the series...

omfg z is the stronger 1 becuz he wuz all bam fck u onoi and u 2 kuriza and evn vegta!11. but he dinot beet buu so there.
buu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>z>>>>>vegta>>kurza>onio fyi its a FACT.
i dunno if that makez him better then goku like you asked but i wuz helping to.

And that's my contribution to this happy little discussion.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:55 pm

Frankly, I think it's up to each individual fan, regardless of reasons. I don't like GT one bit. It's OOC, stupid, and makes no sense. I like most filler, so I include that as canon and disregard whatever I don't like (such as the Paikuhan thing and the Ginyu Force at Kaio's). It's my choice as it is for anyone else.

I consider each thing apart from the others. The manga is its own story. The anime is its own and doesn't have to agree with the manga. GT is its own. And the movies are AU.

As for the original topic. I think Goku is stronger than just about any fiction character that has ever existed, or at least that I've seen. If Vegeta could blow up planets with a 18k power level, what could Goku do as SSJ3? Or rather, what couldn't he do?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:33 pm

I've always said because Toriyama forgets and retcons so much stuff, even the manga itself isn't canon ^_^

But here's a real brainteaser. One reason most fanboy/girl/its hate GT is because Toriyama-sensei didn't make it.

But think about this. What if (hypothetically), one day Toriyama came out and said he actually wrote the storyboards for each episode of GT himself? Or, perhaps, we never were told that Toei was behind the whole thing, and Toriyama was the series' creator to begin with? Do you think those fanthings would have any respect for it then?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SNS

Post by SNS » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 pm

The S wrote:But think about this. What if (hypothetically), one day Toriyama came out and said he actually wrote the storyboards for each episode of GT himself? Or, perhaps, we never were told that Toei was behind the whole thing, and Toriyama was the series' creator to begin with? Do you think those fanthings would have any respect for it then?
No, considering a lot of fans don't have respect for the Buu Saga (& I don't mean the usual complaining over the changed ending, I mean the entire Saga).

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:58 pm

SNS wrote:I don't mean the usual complaining over the changed ending, I mean the entire Saga
Changed ending?
What changed ending?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:00 am

:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:13 am

I like some parts of DBGT. Like when Goku went SSJ4, and the SSJ4 Fusion. =P

I don't think it's THAT bad.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:48 am

I believe he was referring to the supposed "Toriyama wanted Gohan to finish the story" ending.
Where's the beef?

SNS

Post by SNS » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:48 pm

El_Diablo wrote:I believe he was referring to the supposed "Toriyama wanted Gohan to finish the story" ending.
Yes, I constantly see people whine about that.

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:37 pm

I just have one thing to say:
Alias wrote:As for the original topic. I think Goku is stronger than just about any fiction character that has ever existed, or at least that I've seen.
Nah, Vegeto is stronger than Goku. = P I'm pretty sure he's the strongest SOB there ever was in anime/manga.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:31 am

Oh, that? People actually complain over this new ending? :shock: Wierd...
I believe he was referring to the supposed "Toriyama wanted Gohan to finish the story" ending.
That's what I thought SNS was talking about, I just wasn't sure...

Patrickon

Post by Patrickon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:55 pm

I thought the new ending was quite good. The thing that sucks is that now it seems that definitley toriyama has no plans to continue Dragonball anymore. I was hoping after all the Original Manga of Dragonball were released in Kanzenban form , that Toriyama would surprise us with a continuation of the series.but he didn't!!! The manga that has taken Dragonballs' place to me, or that has at least taken the role of a continuation of Dragonball is Neko Majin.It's a Parody i understand that but hey, at least it has some sweet fights and great dragonball cameos.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:15 pm

OK, listen up.

I've been locking really, really, really silly threads by you, and you're not typing properly. You've been warned before, so this is your final warning. Do yourself a favor and re-read the forum rules, and definitely check out this thread on grammar.

Thank you, good night.