DragonBall Z Kai: Vol 2 DVD Set - Dissection / Discussion.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall Z Kai: Vol 2 DVD Set - Dissection / Discussion.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Jumping right into this...

We've been looking at the cover art for a few months now. Here is the back, I'm sure some people have seen it before, I posted it on Twitter a while ago. But just for good measure, here is the back image...

The DVD case is exactly the same type as the previous release, why would they even change it? Anyway this time around we get Dodoria and Zarbon on the individual DVD cases...

Next, the DVD menu art. Notice the Dragon has the correct color hair on the first disc, but on the second disc, it's back to that "where the fuck did that come from" purple....

Yes we now have three different versions of "Dragon Soul". Remember when FUNimation wouldn't dub any of the Dragon Ball openings? Well, now it seems like that can't stop dubbing Dragon Ball openings! I don't know the reasoning for this but, it's the default opening for every episode so, yea, chew on that. It's actually pretty fucking horrible. It reminds me of a fan dub, if the fan had a really good microphone.

I actually put together three clips from this set.

The first one is the new\third Dragon Soul opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DaQy7pfgYI

The second is a clip is of Krillin doing the Taiyo-Ken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Cb61zhB1Q

The third is pretty random. It's just the full scene of when Zarbon reports back to Freeza on his ship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ybib3LvMsU

And I think that's it. Anyone have any question? :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotensottile
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai: Vol 2 DVD Set - Dissection (and clips!)

Post by gotensottile » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 pm

The third clip isn't random, it has Appule.

That, "Taiyo-ken!" Was really bad. I just didn't feel like the 'Taiyo' worked very well.

All the art is terrible! Aside from the Freeza picture. And why do they have Cell-era pictures...?

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Dodoria's art on the DVD case doesn't look terrible but Zarbon just looks terrible. His face looks squished. Thanks for posting up the images.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I take it the GT trailer is about the complete box set?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai: Vol 2 DVD Set - Dissection / Discussion.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Yup. This set didn't break any news of any upcomming DragonBall releases.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm

I quite like the artwork they selected for this set. Except the Dodoria on the Trailers. It isn't particularly bad (it isn't great), but compared to the others it sticks out like a sore thumb.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Wow, he got Taiyô-ken right! Nice.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Dbzbabe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dbzbabe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 pm

What is with them messing up Vegeta's saga clothing!! >.< They did it here and the dragon box 2, I really want to ask FUNimation next time I see them >>!
Tackle life with as much energy as Goku! I'll try to do the same! - Akira Toriyama

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:50 pm

My word, three versions of the opening? Feels like FUNimation's really digging into every nook and cranny to find something they can re-do. I personally would have enjoyed something like interviews (at least with the dub cast; they could even just put in the mini interviews they air as commercials on Nicktoons) for special features, but I guess a bare bones release is something DB fans have gotten used to.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 am

Just curious, when the Namek saga starts; does the animation switch accordingly like it should or is FUNimation completely ignoring the other ones in favor of lesser vocals on the songs...

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:15 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Just curious, when the Namek saga starts; does the animation switch accordingly like it should or is FUNimation completely ignoring the other ones in favor of lesser vocals on the songs...
Well this set only goes to episode 26. The second animation starts at episode 30, so it's still the first animation on every episode here.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:25 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Just curious, when the Namek saga starts; does the animation switch accordingly like it should or is FUNimation completely ignoring the other ones in favor of lesser vocals on the songs...
Well this set only goes to episode 26. The second animation starts at episode 30, so it's still the first animation on every episode here.
Ah, for some reason I thought it was around 19, I guess I assumed that since that's Freeza's first appearance.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:43 am

Dodoria in the cover art looks.... weird.... somewhat....... like a woman... and Dodoria from the menu looks like a fan art.
And does Justin Cook the one who sing the new OP?

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:51 am

Blu-ray > DVD Release :P
Though, honestly that's true.
The Blu-ray menu will be animated much like the first.
So much like Toei, FUNi is putting way more effort into the Blu-ray release.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:03 am

I like the idea of them having someone else dub "Dragon Soul" for every new Blu-Ray/DVD set, if that's what they're doing. It will give us a wide variety to chose from...

.............But if that last version of "Dragon Soul" is the one they're sticking with, then...God, I hate to say it, but it really doesn't sound that good to me. I hate writing stuff like that because I know voice actors read the message boards, but I really think both Sean and Vic's versions were better. Whoever sang this latest version sounds like the song is out of his vocal range.

EDIT: Apparently it's Justin Cook who sings this (producer for DBZ Kai, the voice of Raditz, and some other A-list characters in Yu Yu Hakusho and Fruits Basket). So Justin, if you read this, please know that I think you're quite the talented actor. I just didn't particularly like this specific effort of yours.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 am

It's Justin Cook.
He's the producer of the English dub, but he's most notable for being Raditz and Yusuke Urameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:27 am

So Gokuu, Broli, and Raditz have all done versions of Dragon Soul. I predict Nappa's dub actor will do the next version.
-Rachel

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 am

TripleRach wrote:So Gokuu, Broli, and Raditz have all done versions of Dragon Soul. I predict Nappa's dub actor will do the next version.
If it has to be Nappa, then I would rather it be Taka's Nappa.

As for this version of Dragon Soul? Yuck. Why couldn't they just have had Vic do the complete TV size version instead?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 am

TripleRach wrote:So Gokuu, Broli, and Raditz have all done versions of Dragon Soul. I predict Nappa's dub actor will do the next version.
Nah, it's gonna be Chris Sabat in-character as Vegeta.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:54 am

The art looks weird in this release, but apart from that, it's still pretty decent. :P