Is Super Saiyan God the next "canonical" SSj4?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is super saiyan God the next "Canon" SSj4?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am

Bullza wrote:Well I'd see no reason why it wouldn't be, it's still Ki. He'd probably group them all together, it'd be odd if his thought process was "That's the strongest Ki I've ever felt with the exception of people that have godly Ki".
"That's the strongest mortal ki I've ever felt" or "Besides the gods, that's the strongest ki I've ever felt". God Goku, Beerus, and Whis are a special category.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 am

Well I don't know about that like what was brought up in another thread you have to have Godly Ki to sense Godly Ki. King Kai and the Supreme Kai's were able to sense Beerus which implies they have Godly Ki and most characters surpassed them.

All Goku said was Ki and Godly Ki is still a Ki.

Not that it matters because the two don't fit anyway. There's the one path which is the Battle of Gods movie and any potential sequels and then there's the GT path. The two don't fit together.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 am

Bullza wrote:All Goku said was Ki and Godly Ki is still a Ki.
Well, of course maybe Beerus was included in this statement. But since he is a special case, he wasn't necessarily included. And if you go by the Super Vegetto >= SS4 Goku like I do, he definitely wasn't included.
Not that it matters because the two don't fit anyway. There's the one path which is the Battle of Gods movie and any potential sequels and then there's the GT path. The two don't fit together.
The official timeline has them together so, they fit together, somehow. The problems are Pilaf Gang being old & Goku being a mortal in GT, which could be explained by assuming that the Pilaf Gang collected the Dragon Balls again to wish to get older (only to get too old this time), and Goku losing the ability to use the God power because he was turned into a child.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 am

And if you go by the Super Vegetto >= SS4 Goku like I do, he definitely wasn't included.
Definitely doubt that now, Super Vegito wasn't even as strong as SSJ God Goku in Battle of Gods let alone a SSJ4 at the end of GT. If Beerus was included when Goku said that then it'd be

SSJ4 Goku >>> Baby Second Form > Beerus > SSJ God Goku > Super Vegito.

Maybe at best you could say that being as Beerus only fought at 70% of his power maybe at 100% he would be stronger than Baby but no way he'd be above SSJ4.
The official timeline has them together so, they fit together, somehow.
It's an anime timeline, the people who made it want GT to be included into it. They wanted Toriyama to make the form in Battle of Gods to look more like SSJ4.

Akira Toriyama said that the main cast were at their max power during the events of Battle of Gods. So they had grown weaker by the 10 year time skip. Goku in GT was stronger than in Z so that right there is Toriyama writing off anything that ever happened in GT as not counting.

Even if Goku couldn't use the God power just because he was a child there's no reason why they couldn't have easily have made Vegeta or Gohan it instead.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Bullza wrote:It's an anime timeline, the people who made it want GT to be included into it. They wanted Toriyama to make the form in Battle of Gods to look more like SSJ4.
No they didn't? It's not like they were hounding him to make the form the "golden" Super Saiyan 4 design everyone had been throwing around as fanart from before the film. Yamamuro made the original design buff, with a cape and hair between SS3 and SS4. That's the only similarity.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

AGentlemanSaiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AGentlemanSaiyan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Still guys, BoG came out WAAAYYY after GT, SSJG never existed then. So how would they be able to put in a form that was made 10 years later? It wasn't the writers fault they didn't say anything about it. Essentially GT isn't canon or "orginal content"so most people don't take it into account as a part of dbz. So GT could be one of the many universe's in DBZ's timeline. But still it makes zero sense if SSJ4 goku would say "That's the strongest ki I've ever felt, oh wait nope forgot 10 years ago I fought Beerus. Oh and I have a cool form super saiyan god, wait dafuq I'm I doing using Super saiyan 4." Then Goku forgets that SSJG doesn't exist then and he has to wait 10 years until Akira creates it.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:36 pm

AGentlemanSaiyan wrote:Still guys, BoG came out WAAAYYY after GT, SSJG never existed then. So how would they be able to put in a form that was made 10 years later? It wasn't the writers fault they didn't say anything about it. Essentially GT isn't canon or "orginal content"so most people don't take it into account as a part of dbz. So GT could be one of the many universe's in DBZ's timeline. But still it makes zero sense if SSJ4 goku would say "That's the strongest ki I've ever felt, oh wait nope forgot 10 years ago I fought Beerus. Oh and I have a cool form super saiyan god, wait dafuq I'm I doing using Super saiyan 4." Then Goku forgets that SSJG doesn't exist then and he has to wait 10 years until Akira creates it.
How bout we just wait? For all we know a new film could be in the works right now. Maybe Goku loses his SSJG powers, maybe SSJ4 will eventually make a appearance, nobody knows right now so nothing is replacing anything at the moment.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

AGentlemanSaiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AGentlemanSaiyan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
How bout we just wait? For all we know a new film could be in the works right now. Maybe Goku loses his SSJG powers, maybe SSJ4 will eventually make a appearance, nobody knows right now so nothing is replacing anything at the moment.
For what we know there IS a new flim , starring Vegeta as the main character. Though I know since BoG their probably going to completely ignore GT or tie it in some how.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:00 pm

AGentlemanSaiyan wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
For what we know there IS a new flim , starring Vegeta as the main character. Though I know since BoG their probably going to completely ignore GT or tie it in some how.
There is still a sizable gap in years between BOG and GT. They can do all sorts of stuff depending on how they space the timeline. The next film can be 3 years after BOG with Beerus waking up, or can take place 2 days after BOG.

Again, its the waiting game till then, you can say this and that can ignore so and so but it remains speculation till something new happens.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

AGentlemanSaiyan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AGentlemanSaiyan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 pm

Exactly it could be anything, especially since they announced gokus moms name....Why? Gotta wait and see.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Seeing Toriyama's behaviour I can speculate that he totally ingores the anime-version's facts speaking about both GT and DBZ.

Seeing new products like Yo! Son Goku and friends return, (Episode of Bardock), Battle of Gods and Jaco the Galctic Patrolman Toriyama has made a personal view of events and a personal timeline, which several times contradicts with the events from anime.

So They can't fit together... There is a manga-wise history still in progress and an anime-wise history very finished long time ago, which can include Dragon Ball GT too.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:33 pm

AT does not care about GT and DBZ Movie 1 - 13 since it had nothing to do with them other then most of the character designs. In DBO, GT never happen since Piccolo is still alive and Buu never fused with Ubb.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:AT does not care about GT and DBZ Movie 1 - 13 since it had nothing to do with them other then most of the character designs. In DBO, GT never happen since Piccolo is still alive and Buu never fused with Ubb.
Akira Toriyama did more than that, he even gave some story ideas (some, Aya Matsui was actually the story writer) and is enough concerned about GT to say "they all became so old in the in the last chapter, I even gave Vegeta a mustache so Battle of Gods should take place before all that" (not the exact quote). Whether he forgot it happens in GT and not the end of Z or if he had plans for the mustache at the end of Z and then gave Vegeta the mustace in GT later does not matter here. He obviously remembers and forgets both Z and GT and treats them as important. And that is just one example.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm

He still had nothing much to do with GT since he didn't write any of it. I still don't think he cares for GT and the pre-BOG movies that much since they are not a real creation of his.
She/Her

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Many things he wrote are based on what his assistant said to him. Are Cyborg 17 and 18 or Cell's short 2nd form screentime also not canon then because it was not his idea but accepted by him like GT?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:37 pm

That's different since #16-18 and Cell appear in the manga. SSj4 is not even in the main source material and stuff does not appear in the source material is not view as canon to most anime/manga franchises unless stated otherwise.
She/Her

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:... and stuff does not appear in the source material is not view as canon to most anime/manga franchises unless stated otherwise.
Not, it's not. Canon and non-canon are both official states that need to be declared by someone who has the right to do. And for Dragon Ball that does not happen. So non-canon is also only something that is called non-canon.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:35 pm

Cetra wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:... and stuff does not appear in the source material is not view as canon to most anime/manga franchises unless stated otherwise.
Not, it's not. Canon and non-canon are both official states that need to be declared by someone who has the right to do. And for Dragon Ball that does not happen. So non-canon is also only something that is called non-canon.
Fans consider it non-canon because of its lack of source material.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Rockman X wrote: Fans consider it non-canon because of its lack of source material.
Yes and Fans have exactly 0% right to decide what is canon or not. There are also Fans that say it is canon, it is undefined and they don't care and the only true answer to this topic officially is "it is undefined" because it is.
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Blade wrote:Super Saiyan 4 and Super Saiyan God appear to exist entirely independent of one and other.

As such, as opposed to superseding GT's take on a Super Saiyan 4, Super Saiyan God exists outside of both the regular Super Saiyan chain, and more importantly, the continuity in which Super Saiyan 4 exists within.

I think Super Saiyan 4 is always going to be something that is marketed, sold and promoted as part of Dragonball, so I don't think that anyone is going to do anything to either redact its importance or undermine its significance.

The same goes for GT in general. We're never, ever going to see a Dragonball film or further expansion upon the story that explicitly states that 'GT doesn't count'. It's an entire Anime series that is still a salable product for Toei, so why the hell would they want to harm that arrangement? As we continue to see with Dragonball Heroes and how it is incorporating more and more elements from GT, the series still has an appeal.
Basically of this and more!

The only way I can see SSJ4 being invalidated, and hence GT being invalidated, is if Toei comes out with another DB anime that supplants GT in some way. Which I'm sure they would not do because that would be throwing away their hard earned work on the GT series in general.

SSJ God lies outside the continuum of the other SSJ forms as others have said, and I'm quite inclined to agree with such a sentiment.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.