Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:06 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
RocktheDragon wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Are these new blu ray sets even good lool?
Going beyond simple "lol" responses, yes these BD season sets are decent, depending on how you look at it.

They are a marked improvement over the orange brick releases and can really pop on an HD TV. The cleaned up Japanese audio is a huge plus for me and many others as well. Though I would have welcomed the inclusion of the original Japanese title cards and end credits.
To go the total opposite way; no, they're pretty abysmal.

1) Being an improvement over the Orange Bricks is hardly an accolade, especially when the improvement really isn't that much. Yeah, no vanishing lines is a plus but the crop isn't exactly as good as some are making it out to be; at least when compared to Kai's efforts.

2) In exchange for no vanishing lines and a higher resolution, you now deal with a constant instance of grain attempting to fight its way though the heavy use of DNR, as such the backgrounds and characters' shading 'wobbles' where the grain is moving. As you can see in the screenshots above, any small amount of detail is smudged to pieces by the aggressive filtering. That's poor work on Funimation's part since we've seen via Kai that you can actually remove the grain while retaining details.

3) Inconsistent brightness as well as strange shifts in colour plague every season on top of the already terrible over-contrasted and saturated image. It's just not good.

4) No filtering of the Japanese audio is ever going to make up for how undeniably awful everything else is.

5) Yes, it's cheap, it's an entire 'season' per release but that doesn't negate what the actual content is. It doesn't matter what their 'aim' was, the product should be judged based on aspects that every media release is subjected to.
1) How does factually stating that this new BD release is better than the orange brick release giving it an accolade? You’re the one jumping to that conclusion. Myself and many others have merely observed that yes indeed, this is a better release than the orange brick set. It doesn’t matter if it didn’t take much work from Funimation to make it a better release. It’s a better release. I find the cropping to be a nuisance as well, but again, it’s better than what we have before. And also, it’s a cheaper alternative for many in getting a new and recent release of DBZ.

2) Yes we all understand and know that this is a poor release in terms of the removal of grain, heavy DNR, and water color like presentation of the series. I don’t think anyone is arguing that DBZ looks terrific in this BD release, but its serviceable and does the job for the 16 dollar price tag.

3) Is the inconsistent brightness the fault of Funimation, or is it the work of their masters? I’ve seen both said on here and I’d like this cleared up.

4) It can’t make up for every other imperfection but it can go a long way in making this a worthwhile purchase, or at least providing some kind of silver lining for many customers. Myself included.

5) It should be judged and it is being judged. Why are you acting like people don’t know how horrible of a release this is? Blu-ray.com covered its imperfections and downgraded Season 2 accordingly. People know that this is not a faithful rendering of the content, but again, what choice do people have to pick up DBZ on the cheap or at all? Especially on BD? It's easy to say that people just shouldn't be bothering with it and not buying it, but really, even with all of its horrible imperfections it's a decent release.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Uh...that was quite hostile. Unnecessarily so.

I wasn't attacking your points specifically but rather offering an alternative view to the one you're giving. JEFFMAN219 asked how they were and I gave him a comprehensive overview of how I felt about them. Why are you speaking as a universal 'we' and using phrases like 'we all understand' as though that's somehow relevant?

My post isn't aimed at people who know about this release, it's aimed at someone who seemingly doesn't...you know, like the guy who asked that question in the first place.

Being the only cheap way to purchase the series as a whole in HD doesn't mean anything if the content isn't worth having. That's how I feel anyway. I don't find it to be a 'decent release' at all.

You're more than welcome to offer up all the pros of this release though.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:21 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:Why are you acting like people don’t know how horrible of a release this is? Blu-ray.com covered its imperfections and downgraded Season 2 accordingly. People know that this is not a faithful rendering of the content...
A critic reviewing his umpteenth DBZ release knows this, but it doesn't seem like people at large do.

It would be so easy for someone to come out and say "I know this is garbage but I don't care! I like what I like!" but that doesn't happen.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Uh...that was quite hostile. Unnecessarily so.

I wasn't attacking your points specifically but rather offering an alternative view to the one you're giving. JEFFMAN219 asked how they were and I gave him a comprehensive overview of how I felt about them. Why are you speaking as a universal 'we' and using phrases like 'we all understand' as though that's somehow relevant?

My post isn't aimed at people who know about this release, it's aimed at someone who seemingly doesn't...you know, like the guy who asked that question in the first place.

Being the only cheap way to purchase the series as a whole in HD doesn't mean anything if the content isn't worth having. That's how I feel anyway. You're more than welcome to offer up all the pros of this release.
I don't find my post to be hostile at all and merely wanted to address your points. Perhaps it's matter-of-fact, but it certainly isn't malicious or emotional in any way that was meant to undercut your observations. I merely offered my own responses to your points.

Also, your points were originally brought in to serve as counterpoints to my own. You quoted me and stated that you wanted to "go the opposite way", which is fine. But again, I'm just responding to those points, which I find nothing wrong with.

That's well and fine, your aim I mean. But I want to show the positive aspects of this release while you want to focus on the negative. I don't really see the problem here. I certainly think that this current BD release gets much more flack than praise, especially on this forum. I just want people to be aware that there are two sides to it here, instead of just constant negativity and unfavorable assessments.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:29 pm

B wrote:
RocktheDragon wrote:Why are you acting like people don’t know how horrible of a release this is? Blu-ray.com covered its imperfections and downgraded Season 2 accordingly. People know that this is not a faithful rendering of the content...
A critic reviewing his umpteenth DBZ release knows this, but it doesn't seem like people at large do.

It would be so easy for someone to come out and say "I know this is garbage but I don't care! I like what I like!" but that doesn't happen.
Personally, I find it hard to believe that most people here on Kanzenshuu (who are actively posting) view this as a favorable release. I mean, just go back to the first several pages of the thread, and especially when the 16:9 aspect ratio was revealed (and all the vitriol this release got). I'd say the majority here seems to be against the release, and the minority has attempted to find some positive aspects to the release.

So are you saying that most people who are buying this release don't know how unfaithful it is to DBZ? How many of those people do you think would actually change their minds anyways? It's a cheap BD release of DBZ. Most people don't care for the discussions on heavy DNR or sloppily done cropping (arguably). Even on here, I'd say most people picking this up actively know this is a pretty abysmal release. But they, like myself, still choose to pick it up.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:30 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:You quoted me and stated that you wanted to "go the opposite way", which is fine. But again, I'm just responding to those points, which I find nothing wrong with.
I just quoted you as way to say 'here's an alternative view' rather than to counter yours specifically. I certainly didn't have your post in mind when I was typing, I was just sprouting out opinions and using you a segue.

But yeah man, sorry if I read the tone of your post wrong, it just sounded as though you were discrediting my post because it was reiterating and re-explaining many of the cons of the release.

I'm just very passionate when it comes to media and treating art with respect so if I come across as a ranting lunatic at times then just ignore me. My views are pretty extreme and I'm sure people can find worth in it if they can look past the flaws. I just personally don't.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:34 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
RocktheDragon wrote:You quoted me and stated that you wanted to "go the opposite way", which is fine. But again, I'm just responding to those points, which I find nothing wrong with.
I just quoted you as way to say 'here's an alternative view' rather than to counter all of yours. I certainly didn't have your post in mind when I was typing, I was just sprouting out opinions and using you a segue.

But yeah man, sorry if I read the tone of your post wrong, it just sounded as though you were discrediting my post because it was reiterating and re-explaining many of the cons of the release.

I'm just very passionate when it comes to media and treating art with respect so if I come across as a ranting lunatic at times then just ignore me. My views are pretty extreme and I'm sure people can find worth in it if they can look past the flaws. I just personally don't.
I don't find anything wrong with your post at all. I certainly agree with a majority of it, and most of what you said hit the imperfections of the release spot on.

In a perfect world of course I'd want everyone to care as much as we do about all these issues. In a perfect world the orange brick release, and the current release, would never have seen the light of day. But we have to live with the reality that we've been given. And if that means having to pick up a sub-par release of DBZ just to own it on BD well, I'm not going to think too hard or long about it.

Also, there is nothing wrong with informing others about the negative qualities of this release. I'm in full support of that of course. But at the same time, I don't see a problem with someone picking up this release or even actively enjoying it. It's still a (arguably) watchable and enjoyable experience.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:02 pm

qjz123 wrote:Here's more screenshots from the next 11 episodes on the set. http://min.us/mINTa7OKBMrPh
Why do the colours keep changing?
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:15 pm

JackyBoi99 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Here's more screenshots from the next 11 episodes on the set. http://min.us/mINTa7OKBMrPh
Why do the colours keep changing?
It all depends on Funimation's masters, ideally I would have wanted them to try to make the colors look more consistent but they didn't. It's nothing new it's been like that in all of the season blu ray releases.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Oh ok, another thing I noticed is that it looks like some of the colours are bleeding. Am I the only one seeing this?
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm

JackyBoi99 wrote:Oh ok, another thing I noticed is that it looks like some of the colours are bleeding. Am I the only one seeing this?
No, this was visible on the Orange Bricks too. It might be an artifact from the film copying process.

Anyways, some of these episodes are so dark, oversaturated and purple tinted. I'd take Season Two's lighter, yellowish tint over this. In this case I think the Orange Bricks colors look better. Whoever was in charge really needs to learn how to color balance.

Blu-ray:

DVD:

I took the Blu-ray shot into Photoshop and did some very quick and simple RGB adjustments to it, and that's all it took to get the colors looking good:

This is something FUNi/Post & Transfer or whoever could have easily done with their equipment.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Omar1st

Post by Omar1st » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:33 pm

What the actual fuck? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Look at that detail loss!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Overly Pink
Missing lines

Throughout this set the colors are so disgustingly shocking its untrue! :crazy:

EDIT : Look at the shadow of the hair by the forehead! Wowzers!

Well done to the QC team handling this so called FAKE FAKE FAKE FRAME BY FRAME!
Last edited by Omar1st on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Omar1st wrote:Missing lines!
That's the actual source material. The (de)mastering didn't alter any line work (other than smudging it to death). Those old cels weren't always perfect.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Woah, those colours are really off :shock:.

- Kid Buu

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:23 pm

What happened the last two seasons didn't look this horrid. :/ Regardless for those fans looking for the nostalgia of watching the series with the faulconer this is a cheap and decent release. Still better than the orange bricks as well!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:28 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:What happened the last two seasons didn't look this horrid. :/ Regardless for those fans looking for the nostalgia of watching the series with the faulconer this is a cheap and decent release. Still better than the orange bricks as well!
From what I've watched it doesn't look any worse than season 2 and both season 3 and 2 look better than season 1 IMO.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Here's screenshots from the next 9 episodes on the set http://min.us/mNK6YOBdBZ4Zg.
episodes 75-84: http://min.us/mb1ymOAvlpvlKz
episodes 85-95: http://min.us/mINTa7OKBMrPh
episodes 96-104: http://min.us/mNK6YOBdBZ4Zg
Kendamu wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:57 pm

I never cared for quality or cropping but this is horrible. Reminds me of when I use to oversaturate my amvs in late 2012. I hate how thick the colors are.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:13 am

Even though I have been liking this release that shot of Goku seems.....wrong? haha :P you guys ain't fudging with the quality are ya? :lol: just kidding.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:16 am

samuraix123 wrote:Even though I have been liking this release that shot of Goku seems.....wrong? haha :P you guys ain't fudging with the quality are ya? :lol: just kidding.
I would never. :thumbup:
Kendamu wrote: